Don't look if you do not like moobs (wait i said it.FUUuu..)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Prelates, Moderators General

Don't look if you do not like moobs (wait i said it.FUUuu..)

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

so, i have a weird body. (at least some have said so. i am 5' 11" tall, weigh 155 lbs, and i am 19 years old. i am in pretty fit condition, i can run an 8 minute mile, lift a good amount of weight (i bench about 80 pounds, not my strongest muscle, and my back i can usually max out the weight stack with my back muscles.)

the weird thing is: i have got some moobs. not big ones, but they tend to flop around. i don't like having my shirt off, because i know i don't look good, and im very self conscious about it. i don't think it is all fat, i can flex that muscle and it gets pretty firm, with just a bit of squishy on top (sorry for the description if you are squeamish).

how do i get rid of these? i have tried working the muscles in that area to death, i do a ton of cardio, try to eat right, but they just don't go away.
Tomlidich

Re: Don't look if you do not like moobs (wait i said it.FUUu

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Not to be overly critical, but I wouldn't consider the stats you listed to be 'pretty fit'. If you have moobs, I'd suggest you aren't really fit at all, and aren't really working very hard at keeping fit.

So, start a routine!

Also, I just saw an episode of Greys Anatomy wherein a kid had moobs and was having a breast reduction. So, not leap to conclusions, but it's possible it's just your body type.
Last edited by Izawwlgood on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Not to be overly critical, but I wouldn't consider the stats you listed to be 'pretty fit'. If you have moobs, I'd suggest you aren't really fit at all, and aren't really working very hard at keeping fit.

So, start a routine!

i already have a routine: i got to the gym 3 times a week, ride my bike to and from work, (about 3 miles round trip a day)
and i often do fairly exhausting things over the weekends. (moving engine blocks, hiking up mountains, etc.)

also, when the average adult male is 180 pounds, i would say i am fit.
Tomlidich

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

It's all relative, to be sure, but 8m mile time, and maxing out on the bench at approximately half your body weight is not what I would consider 'pretty fit'. You are also my height, and approximately 30 lbs lighter than I am, so, while I would with some degree of pride place myself on the 'slightly more fit than average' range of things, I don't think the stats you listed stack up for someone who would consider themselves 'pretty fit'.

Also, for what it's worth, 'going to the gym 3 times a week' isn't necessarily a good routine. What specifically do you do at the gym?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:28 am UTC

well, it usually goes something like this:

i start out in the pool, and swim a bunch of laps to sorta loosen things up so i don't strain myself or something. this doubles as cardio. then i get out, dry off, and go run a mile as quickly as possible. i take a quick breather, then go to lifting various weights. then when im satisfied that every muscle in my body is now in alot of pain (no pain no gain!) i go walk/run on the treadmils for a little while longer before leaving.
Tomlidich

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Lifting to the point of maximal pain isn't really telling us much about how you workout. You could be doing it all wrong and just straining muscle groups instead of lifting effectively.

Do you target specific muscle groups, or just fiddle around on machines until something aches? Also, if you have gym access, and are concerned with your pecs, why not start doing exercises that focus on your pectorals? And, as I mentioned, maybe it's just your body type.

But yeah, being 5'11 and weighing 150, but benching approx 50% of your weight and running an 8m mile doesn't sound like you're 'pretty fit'. As I said, it's all relative, but I'd personally place that as 'mediocre fitness'. I'd say 'average fitness' is being able to bench 70-80% your body weight, and being able to run a 7 or 7:30m mile. You are also rather on the skinny side, which makes your bench press a little less impressive, as well as confuses me as to where exactly your moobs are coming from.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'd say 'average fitness' is...being able to run a 7 or 7:30m mile.

I think you have kind of a warped perception of "average fitness."
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:46 am UTC

Perhaps; for someone who weighs 150 lbs at 5'11, I feel 'fit' would be faster than an 8m mile. Adjust for weight and height accordingly.

But another thing; what do you eat? Weighing in as rather skinny for your height and still having moobs could be indicative of you being 'skinny fat'.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Nath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Tomlidich wrote:how do i get rid of these? i have tried working the muscles in that area to death, i do a ton of cardio, try to eat right, but they just don't go away.

Unfortunately, focusing on the muscles in a particular area does nothing to target the surrounding fat; fat-loss is a whole-body thing.

Probably the first thing to do would be to try and find your body fat percentage. A ballpark is fine; you can get it measured with calipers at some gyms. If your bodyfat is low, then it might just be the way you're built. Like Izawwlgood said, some guys do get cosmetic surgery because of this. It's a bit drastic, but if it really affects your quality of life, there's no shame in considering it.

If your body fat percentage is medium or high, then you might be able to get there just by losing some fat. Straightforward enough.

But at 5'11" and 155lb, it's probably safe to say that you're not super-muscular. And while I'm sidestepping the whole 'what is fitness' debate, your strength level seems to agree with this. (For reference, here are some ballpark numbers for how much people at different bodyweights can bench press; an untrained 148lb male can typically bench 109lb or so.) So it might just be a matter of putting on some muscle all around your body. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, chin ups; you get the idea. And food. Slightly oversized pecs would probably be less noticeable on a 180lb frame than a 155lb frame, given that you're 5'11".
Nath

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:how do i get rid of these? i have tried working the muscles in that area to death, i do a ton of cardio, try to eat right, but they just don't go away.

Unfortunately, focusing on the muscles in a particular area does nothing to target the surrounding fat; fat-loss is a whole-body thing.

Probably the first thing to do would be to try and find your body fat percentage. A ballpark is fine; you can get it measured with calipers at some gyms. If your bodyfat is low, then it might just be the way you're built. Like Izawwlgood said, some guys do get cosmetic surgery because of this. It's a bit drastic, but if it really affects your quality of life, there's no shame in considering it.

If your body fat percentage is medium or high, then you might be able to get there just by losing some fat. Straightforward enough.

But at 5'11" and 155lb, it's probably safe to say that you're not super-muscular. And while I'm sidestepping the whole 'what is fitness' debate, your strength level seems to agree with this. (For reference, here are some ballpark numbers for how much people at different bodyweights can bench press; an untrained 148lb male can typically bench 109lb or so.) So it might just be a matter of putting on some muscle all around your body. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, chin ups; you get the idea. And food. Slightly oversized pecs would probably be less noticeable on a 180lb frame than a 155lb frame, given that you're 5'11".

how much does the surgery typically cost?

and i have been trying to put on muscle, but it isnt progressing very quickly. im still pretty skinny;cept for the *cough moobs cough*

edit: also, i keep reading your posts in the voice of scotty. it is somewhat amusing
Tomlidich

Postby philsov » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

couple thousand, from word of mouth.

Surgery is typically only necessary in more severe cases of gynecomastia (mind the topic title!), aka "gyno". A lot of time it's just latent fat deposits that go away after periods of proper diet and exercise, as per above.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Return to Fit Club