Mindfuck Movies

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Mindfuck Movies

Postby kikko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

I love them. It's my favorite "genre" for movies. What are your favorites, cult classics, and ones you think are "essential" to someone watch in the genre?
kikko

Re: Mindfuck Movies

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Can you be more specific? I'm not understanding the exact nature of Mindfuckery you're wanting - something like Wild Things, where the plot makes no goddamn sense until you watch the credits mindfuckery? Something like In The Mouth of Madness where the main character realizes he's fictional and watches the movie too mindfuckery? Pi just goddamn weird mindfuckery? Primer's what the fuck just happened Mindfuckery?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Disney-flick 'are you seriously suggesting this is a happy ending?' mindfuckery?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

ST: when you say wild things, do you mean the teen movie from the 90s with Neve Campbell in the pool? Where the wild things are, the childrens movie based on the book of the same name? Or was it a typo? Maybe the Wild Hunt (something I just saw, about larpers who get a little out of control - which was a pretty fucked movie, so I bring it up)? I just don't know what you mean...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

Ah, cool.

Is it worth seeing?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

Insofar as having hot people doing hot things, solid dialog, a pretty awesome plot, and an even awesomer series of plot twists? Yeah, I'd say so. I did see it when I was in high school, so it's possible my enjoyment was biased, but I'd call it one of the few plot twist movies that actually has sensible turns, as well as flashback info dumps that actually enrich the story instead of simply drag you along with it.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Ah, cool.

Is it worth seeing?

What Izzy said. Is it good? I dunno, it's been .. uh... I saw it in theaters and haven't seen it since. The movie basically went "Oh, they hate each other. Wait, they're working together. Wait, did.. what? Huh? The fuck is going on?" *movie ends* "The fuck was going on?" *credits start, with video bits playing during the credits* "OH! So she was with him and they... OOOOoohhhhhhh... now it all makes sense!"

But, again, it's been 13 years, and it was during the period of time (1998-2000ish) that I and my friends damn near saw every film that got a national theater release. Which means I'm comparing it to .. basically every film released between 1998 and 2000. It was good compared to everything else. Then again, so was Insurrection.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

Huh. I remember the commercials for this when I was in high school, and remembering thinking it looked stupid. Mainly because the commercials were "HOLY CRAP HOT WOMEN IN POOL!!!" and that was about it.

I might acquire this for viewing in the future.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:"HOLY CRAP HOT WOMEN IN POOL!!!"

To be perfectly frank, that does comprise a portion of the movie's plot. But them being hot I think actually hurt the film; it was a surprisingly cool revenge-within-revenge-murder-theft-hotchicksmakingout-class-warfare story.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Obby » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 am UTC

I'm going to have to throw my hat in the ring for Primer. I had to watch it twice to really understand what was going on.

And don't ask me to explain it now, either, because I'll have to re-watch it in order to do so.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby big boss » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:10 am UTC

No one has mentioned Memento? Then again that is a more popular movie and the OP might be looking for some more obscure films.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

The OP has yet to return, I think we're free to talk about any kind of mindfuck movies we please.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby SANTARII » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

Adapatation starring Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep is SOMEwhat mindfucky.

Reason for mindfuckiness is in spoiler tags, it's SLIGHTLY spoiler, it won't ruin the movie, and so I'd say it's fine to read it, but some of it is a little more fun to figure out as the movie progresses.

Spoiler:
Because the film is about the person who is writing the film. Well, it's about the book that the maker of the film was making a film about, but, well, the movie explains why the plot focuses so much on the writer himself. It's even better when you read up on the making of it and see that the movie had a lot of truth in it, and some of the differences are interesting.
Brilliant film.
Insert witty comment.

Such a cliché.
SANTARII

Postby Ambermutt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Have you seen Pulp Fiction? It's not really mindfuckery, but it's not like too many other movies. It's one of those told in segments that come together really fast and unexpectedly. If you like(d) that one, also try Reservoir Dogs. They're both Quentin Tarantino, so expect a lot of blood and gratuitous violence. With really funny dialogue.

But for some [i]real[i] mindfuckery, try Funny Games. There are two version, US one is a remake, it's the one I saw. The plot is pretty straight forward, but some things happen that are just completely WTF unexpected and possibly very deep. Except so weird I don't think I got it.
He has told us of the darkness,
He has shown us deepest night.
The rage inside a burning sun,
The calmness of its light.
Ambermutt

Postby lemmings » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:01 am UTC

Naked Lunch: A two hour long version of the 'Drugs will turn your brain to jelly' PSA, with imagery that makes The Scanner Darkly look like a children's movie. The trailer for John Dies at the End is about the only thing close to it.
lemmings

Postby Obby » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:21 am UTC

SANTARII wrote:Adapatation starring Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep is SOMEwhat mindfucky.

Reason for mindfuckiness is in spoiler tags, it's SLIGHTLY spoiler, it won't ruin the movie, and so I'd say it's fine to read it, but some of it is a little more fun to figure out as the movie progresses.

Spoiler:
Because the film is about the person who is writing the film. Well, it's about the book that the maker of the film was making a film about, but, well, the movie explains why the plot focuses so much on the writer himself. It's even better when you read up on the making of it and see that the movie had a lot of truth in it, and some of the differences are interesting.
Brilliant film.

That reminds me of a book called House of Leaves. While not a film, it's certifiably mind-fucky to the Nth degree. If you're interested, I would highly, highly advise against the ebook version. Go for the hard copy.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

Is there really an e-book version of HoL? I looked before out of morbid curiosity and didn't find one. Yea, an e-book version of that book would strip away like %60 of the experience. It relies heavily on the paper book format.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

Worst mindfuck I had was when I randomly turned on the TV and got sucked into a movie where Arnold Schwartzenegger played a movie version of Arnold Schwarzenegger and there was someone else who was playing the real Arnold Schwarzenegger and there were so many bad one liners I got so confused.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby juststrange » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Worst mindfuck I had was when I randomly turned on the TV and got sucked into a movie where Arnold Schwartzenegger played a movie version of Arnold Schwarzenegger and there was someone else who was playing the real Arnold Schwarzenegger and there were so many bad one liners I got so confused.

Last Action Hero?

I'll throw in 'Revolver' which is transparent at times but still a surprisingly thoughtful Jason Statham film. M Night Shaymalan (sp?) films all fall in that direction, but they have gotten significantly worse and more thinly done every time. As far as just wtf value, I hear Muholland Drive was pretty difficult to grasp.
juststrange

Postby DonChubby » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:35 am UTC

As far as David Lynch goes, Mulholland Drive really isn't that complicated a movie. Even outside of the context of David Lynch it's not so hard to understand. If you want mindfuckery, you want to watch Inland Empire. Now there's a movie that's hard to make sense of. And of course Eraserhead is a classic as well. Though not in a difficult to understand way, but more in a really-fucked-up-shit-going-on way.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.
DonChubby

Postby poxic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Change of pace: Being John Malkovich. It's no problem following what's going on. It's just ... like ... trying to breathe Play-Doh to do the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing. But you do it anyway. And it never lets up. And your head feels all wrong when it's over. Because it's full of Play-Doh.

In a good way. Mostly.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched.
- Guy de Maupassant, short story writer and novelist (1850-1893)
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:33 am UTC

David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick would have to be the Kings of Mindfuckery, as far as movies go. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and A Clockwork Orange top my list of mindfuckingly mindfucks.

Fantastic Planet would have to be another good one.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby kikko » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:36 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:The OP has yet to return, I think we're free to talk about any kind of mindfuck movies we please.

Basically any kind you please.
kikko

Postby Dthen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:25 am UTC

kikko wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:The OP has yet to return, I think we're free to talk about any kind of mindfuck movies we please.

Basically any kind you please.

The OP has returned, I think we're free to talk about any kind of mindfuck movies we please.
I like cats.
Dthen
You talk too much, you talking cat

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick would have to be the Kings of Mindfuckery, as far as movies go. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and A Clockwork Orange top my list of mindfuckingly mindfucks.

David Cronenburg and Darren Aronofsky can go on that list too

Postby philsov » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

Primer is a pretty good mindfuck. Without spoilering too much, it features both time travel and self duplication. It's a recipe for awesomeness, and the care that's taken to avoid causality it awesomely meticulous.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby ManyPopes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 am UTC

I just watched Eraserhead..

I don't think I could dream of seeing a weirder film..
ManyPopes

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 am UTC

I've lost perspective on what freaks people out. (No one has any reason for clicking that link in a place of business, but I don't think it's that bad.)
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and A Clockwork Orange top my list of mindfuckingly mindfucks.
A Clockwork Orange was fairly depraved, but I didn't find it to be particularly disorientating or especially intellectually challenging. Mind Fuckery could be either exceptionally disturbing, disorientating and difficult to comprehend, or strenuous to mentally digest*. I kind of prefer that later definition, but I like materials that can be described as either.

I can't think of anything that is just disturbing, but not outright horror, y'know, twisted but not just gory and scary. The Ring does some of that, but is pretty settled into the horror genre. Japanese horror comics definitely do that, but I don't know if they get film adaptations. (Not violent or particularly gory, but do note that I am highlighting it for it's disturbing nature)

As for disorientating and incomprehensible, there's movies with premises that are alien and challenging, although I think they tend to try and make up for mental challenge of the set up with plots that are as straight forward as possible. Inception got talked up for being wild and innovative, but the story was fairly formulaic (aside for the Philip K. Dick style "oh wait, that doesn't actually add up at all" moments).
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a bit more ambitious, and had a lot of fun with it's set up, I think Michel Gondry does that well, but for me, didn't reach 'messes with my head!' status.

For the last category of mindfuckery, I guess there's usually overlap with the other two, but also brings in something extra.

Cat Soup ( or Nekojiru-so) is definitely there. It's a wordless story about adorable anime kittens journeying through the afterlife, and kind of horrifying in some places.
In a similar vein, anime, Paranoia Agent is a t.v. series that gets pretty freaked up, and I've been wanting to see Paprika a bit.

I don't think I can talk about movies that hurt your brain without giving mention to After Last Season. It is an independent film made by an unknown director who clearly does not understand what a movie is. I don't know if it's still possible to get a copy though.
*I'm feeling like there should be a better word for this than confusing. Maybe I'm blanking on a term that means "you thought everything was one way, but then something happens that reveals that everything is actually another way, and you have to go back and re-evaluate your interpretation of all past events".
cephalopod9

Postby modularblues » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:43 am UTC

I thought One Hour Photo was pretty disturbing. And I have a pretty high threshold.

Below links contain anime trailers. I enjoyed Serial Experiments Lain very much. Very existential in a violent way. I didn't finish the Paranoia Agent because I got too disturbed, which was a rare rare occasion. And I only read the manga for Mirai Nikki, but man, intense.

Serial Experiments Lain
Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent (妄想代理人, Mōsō Dairinin)
Future Diary (未来日記, Mirai Nikki)
modularblues

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Cube 2:Hypercube Although I am not sure it actually makes sense.. to anyone.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby artifex » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

SANTARII wrote:Adapatation starring Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep is SOMEwhat mindfucky.

Spoiler:
Brilliant film.

The best thing about that movie was how the characters' personalities changed as the writer's opinions of them changed, and the way it sort of shifted genre more than once as his life changed. Somehow, that made the events seem more real to me. It's like they used genre expectations, which can sometimes soften the blow of a dramatic twist, to actually conceal twists.
artifex

Postby Low Caliber » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:38 am UTC

Old Boy
It is a little bit strange...
Low Caliber

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:07 am UTC

It's not a mind fuck, it's just violent.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Ghostbear » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick would have to be the Kings of Mindfuckery, as far as movies go. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and A Clockwork Orange top my list of mindfuckingly mindfucks.

I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange, but sticking with Kubrick, I thought 2001: A Space Odyssey was a bit of a mindfuck. Not in the traditional sense, but just in that I found the experience of watching it so very different, and sufficiently mindfuck inducing, from that of other movies. The ending has a bit of a mindfuck to it as well. I don't think I've really watched anything else that would count though.
Ghostbear

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:57 am UTC

poxic wrote:Change of pace: Being John Malkovich. It's no problem following what's going on.

Really, we might as well keep going and name Charlie Kaufman's other two films in that vein: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Synedoche, New York.

I want to mention Akira, but if we start going into anime here, we might never get out. Then again, someone already mentioned Papirka. Darn good film, that.

How about Terry Gilliam's stuff? Brazil, for instance? Maybe The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?

I think The Cell might also qualify.

cephalopod9 wrote:I've lost perspective on what freaks people out.
Aww, it's gone.
Last edited by Jorpho on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jorpho

Postby poxic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Brazil, for instance?

A good example of "not hard to figure out, but WTF". I finally rented the movie, mumble years ago, after hearing about it all the time.

I pushed the VHS cassette into the player, set the TV channel to 3, then *started* to sit back onto the couch.

I think I stayed in that position for the entire film.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched.
- Guy de Maupassant, short story writer and novelist (1850-1893)
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 am UTC

I think Brazil is a great movie to go into knowing nothing about it.
That reminds me, I still haven't seen Baron Munchausen or Imaginarium. (Why is netflix instant play such disappointing selection fffffff)

Jorpho wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:I've lost perspective on what freaks people out.
Aww, it's gone.
A small sample with a link in the comments to a youtube in the comments, but the youtube wants you to be 18 to see it.
cephalopod9

Postby pollywog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

I think I am getting trolled by American Psycho. I've watched it about 5 times, once sober, the rest stoned, and I just can't figure out what the fuck is going on. It might not be a "mindfuck" movie, but holy shit is it fucking with my mind. My girlfriend and I have a basic theory that part of it is about how corporations are treated in 80's America, that Bale is consistently and blatantly committing horrific crimes and no one gives a shit, but that's not all of it.

I just don't understand!
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby Kick » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

I would highly recommend both Primer and Memento, but I see those have already been suggested. So, I would have to recommend my favorite movie, Revolver. It has elements of mindfuckery, actually, that's a major, major part, but it's also a great crime drama.
I'm never sarcastic.
Kick

Next

Return to Movies and TV Shows