The Thing [Micro] - Lataro and mpolo win as The Thing.

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

The Thing [Micro] - Lataro and mpolo win as The Thing.

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:56 am UTC

Are You Ready for......

THE THING!


Stranded in an Antarctic research station, you have discovered an alien presence. However, it is not friendly, and it can take the shape of anyone....even YOU!!!!

Setup: Open
Bastardry: None
Size: Micro (Up to 7 players)
Deadline:7 days in a game Day, No night.
Flavor: None needed, but can look up on wiki
Start Date: Monday 3rd of October, if signups are not complete before then.

Rules: Standard Mafia rules exist, except for the below:
There is 1 scum, the rest are vanilla town. At the end of each day, if the scum does not get lynched, they die, and a new person becomes the scum. Scum wins if they survive 1 day, Town wins if they survive and lynch scum.

Activity needs to be high. Anyone who doesn't post in a 24 hr period will be prodded. If you do not respond to the prodding, you will be modkilled. I will only prod you once.

1 - Lorenz
2 - greenlover (Why do aliens seem to love the arctic so much?)
3 - mpolo (Is this the original or the remake or the remake of the remake?)
4 - Lataro (KIWF)
5 - Zemerick (Chaos is the only constant.)

I'm starting this a bit late, as a Wednesday start is probably better for the game than a Monday start. Roles going out now. You may post after I post flavour opening.
Last edited by Gopher of Pern on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
User avatar
Gopher of Pern
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 am UTC

You are part of an American geological scientific expedition, investigating Antarctic geological phenomena. One cold day, you came upon a dog being chased by some Norwegians screaming “Se til helvete og kom dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! KOM DERE VEKK IDIOTER!!” The helicopter crashes, leaving no survivors but the dog. After bringing the dog back to base, putting them with the other dogs, things settled back to normal for awhile. The next day, it was discovered that all the dogs were dead, butchered to pieces, and the Norwegian dog was missing. The data recovered from the Norwegian facility indicates that the dog was actually an alien, which has the ability to copy living things. It is now obvious to you all that it is among you. Who is..... THE THING?

5 alive, 3 to lynch. Game ends after 2 days, or if The Thing is lynched. No night phase. Day 1 ends 9pm ADST, or 10am EST on Wednesday 12th October

You may begin.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
User avatar
Gopher of Pern
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Just confirming my existence:) Will post more when I get back from work!
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Well, that line translates to
"Get the hell outta there. That's not a dog, it's some sort of thing! It's imitating a dog, it isn't real! GET AWAY YOU IDIOTS!!"

Anyway, I'm not sure how much of a strategy we can design here. Since scum is alone, they won't bring anyone down with them by talking and if we mislynch, the new scum will have been town before, so I really don't know how we can do any better than random here. Hopefully someone has more imagination than I do. We have to be REALLY careful at putting someone at L-1, as scum would just speed-lynch and get their win. (Of course, we do need to put someone in that position if we expect to lynch someone)

Mod: What happens with tied votals at day's end?

I'll go do some research now.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

It's an interesting setup -- we as town essentially get two chances to kill the Thing, but a different person is the Thing each time. Things that avoid the lynch get a win. Unlike most games, anyone who is lynched loses the game.

As Lorenz says, scum is going to be looking for a wagon, and would probably unlikely be the first voter. Except that I've said this now and ruined things.

Mathematically the chances seem low for town... 1/5 chance of winning on day one, 1/3 on day two. (On day two, if the first vote is wrong, the Thing automatically wins, so we really have to be careful then.)
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

If the votes are tied, the lynch is determined randomly.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
User avatar
Gopher of Pern
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lataro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

As said, today is 1 scum, 4 town, tomorrow if town is lynched, will be 1 scum, 2 town, thus, two chances to win.

Since everyone is vanilla, we'll have no powers to assist us here. Further, on the point of the question Lorenz asked. If the vote is ever tied at two per person, if scum logs on and sees this, they win. It is absolutely vital this never happens for that reason. If scum is one of the two on the first person, and someone else gets two on them, then they can easily change votes for the hammer win in that case. It is pretty important it isn't risked.

So, pretty much unless someone wants to come out and kindly claim to be the thing, we're no better off with a random lynch than anything else at this stage.

To that end, I think Lataro is the scummiest among us, and should be lynched post haste.

Reasons:
1. I just previewed the thread real quick,, and he still hasn't made a post, clearly lurking.
2. The thing is evil, Lataro is evil, Kefka is the god of evil, clearly there is a connection here.
3. Lataro is statistically more likely to be scum in any given game since mod's want to make it interesting and give scum a fighting chance.
4. Ignore point 1, I just previewed and saw content from him, he has claimed to be the thing, he should be lynched.

Lataro wrote:...claim to be the thing...


5. Lastly, that was a horribly scummy quote snipe from him, thus confirming his scumminess.

I don't want to start a bandwagon here, I'll leave it open for others to weigh in on since the lynch is so sensitive this game. I really think Lataro needs to die though.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
User avatar
Lataro
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:It's an interesting setup -- we as town essentially get two chances to kill the Thing, but a different person is the Thing each time. Things that avoid the lynch get a win. Unlike most games, anyone who is lynched loses the game.

As Lorenz says, scum is going to be looking for a wagon, and would probably unlikely be the first voter. Except that I've said this now and ruined things.

Mathematically the chances seem low for town... 1/5 chance of winning on day one, 1/3 on day two. (On day two, if the first vote is wrong, the Thing automatically wins, so we really have to be careful then.)


Well, assuming purely random Town has the slight advantage. That comes out to approx. 53.333% chance for town. Unfortunately, this is of course offset by the fact that it is not entirely random: Scum will naturally be playing us against each other, and their vote would be set to upset the balance or randomness.

Lataro wrote:As said, today is 1 scum, 4 town, tomorrow if town is lynched, will be 1 scum, 2 town, thus, two chances to win.

Since everyone is vanilla, we'll have no powers to assist us here. Further, on the point of the question Lorenz asked. If the vote is ever tied at two per person, if scum logs on and sees this, they win. It is absolutely vital this never happens for that reason. If scum is one of the two on the first person, and someone else gets two on them, then they can easily change votes for the hammer win in that case. It is pretty important it isn't risked.

So, pretty much unless someone wants to come out and kindly claim to be the thing, we're no better off with a random lynch than anything else at this stage.

To that end, I think Lataro is the scummiest among us, and should be lynched post haste.

Reasons:
1. I just previewed the thread real quick,, and he still hasn't made a post, clearly lurking.
2. The thing is evil, Lataro is evil, Kefka is the god of evil, clearly there is a connection here.
3. Lataro is statistically more likely to be scum in any given game since mod's want to make it interesting and give scum a fighting chance.
4. Ignore point 1, I just previewed and saw content from him, he has claimed to be the thing, he should be lynched.

Lataro wrote:...claim to be the thing...


5. Lastly, that was a horribly scummy quote snipe from him, thus confirming his scumminess.

I don't want to start a bandwagon here, I'll leave it open for others to weigh in on since the lynch is so sensitive this game. I really think Lataro needs to die though.


France called, they want some of their WINE back:)

Just to throw a little more out there ( ATT wine is all we have to go on... ), you must clearly be going for Greenlover since they have yet to post at all, while that Lataro has finally posted ( a very 'winey' ) post.

I do agree that we'll need to take this lynch very seriously, as the next one is our last chance. We need to make sure we have something to go on with both attempts. A quick lynch D1 just wouldn't provide enough to work with D2. We need to get a decent bead on how people act D1 so we can attempt to find who is acting different on D2. That's going to be really key here: Those of us that are Town need to try and be as consistent as possible. Without links (because scum will change), will make things just that much more difficult.

I feel a lot of wine and headaches coming soon:)
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby greenlover » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

zemerick wrote: you must clearly be going for Greenlover since they have yet to post at all, while that Lataro has finally posted ( a very 'winey' ) post.

Ah, sorry about that. I'm not posting since I don't know what I should post.

Anyway, I think the fact that Lataro is spreading so much wine around himself while making an indirect reference to how often he is typically lynched on D1's is probably an attempt to make him too winy a target to lynch? However, I would suspect that both town and scum would do that. Still, more scummy than towny.

zemerick is acting quite townish, I would think. However, since he hasn't played in this forum before (I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong), I don't know what to expect from him.

mpolo seemed to be trying to find something to say about the setup. Considering he actually managed to do it amazes me. I'm leaning somewhat? townish on him, I guess.

Lorenz seems to be trying to do his best to be helpful. However, he also made some productive comments on the setup, so I'm considering him somewhat townish, as well.

Right now, I would prefer a Lataro lynch (yes, its ironic. no, I'm not kidding.), but I'm not going to vote until I hear a few other opinions. The other players are all sort of a muddle in my mind; however, I think I would least perfer a zemerick lynch. Mpolo and Lorenz are equally townish in my mind right now.
User avatar
greenlover
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

greenlover wrote:
zemerick wrote: you must clearly be going for Greenlover since they have yet to post at all, while that Lataro has finally posted ( a very 'winey' ) post.

Ah, sorry about that. I'm not posting since I don't know what I should post.

Anyway, I think the fact that Lataro is spreading so much wine around himself while making an indirect reference to how often he is typically lynched on D1's is probably an attempt to make him too winy a target to lynch? However, I would suspect that both town and scum would do that. Still, more scummy than towny.

zemerick is acting quite townish, I would think. However, since he hasn't played in this forum before (I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong), I don't know what to expect from him.

mpolo seemed to be trying to find something to say about the setup. Considering he actually managed to do it amazes me. I'm leaning somewhat? townish on him, I guess.

Lorenz seems to be trying to do his best to be helpful. However, he also made some productive comments on the setup, so I'm considering him somewhat townish, as well.

Right now, I would prefer a Lataro lynch (yes, its ironic. no, I'm not kidding.), but I'm not going to vote until I hear a few other opinions. The other players are all sort of a muddle in my mind; however, I think I would least perfer a zemerick lynch. Mpolo and Lorenz are equally townish in my mind right now.


It's only been a few hours, so I didn't really expect everyone to post now. Just making conversation.

I think Lataros comment was specifically tailored to just start things off. It was purposefully designed to not be serious, and to be entirely WINE/WIFOM/etc. I don't think anything should really be taken from it just yet.

Oh, and you are correct that this is my first Mafia, though I've lurked a few weeks to try and learn a little about the game ( mostly been reading Smalltown. )

Honestly, right now I would put everyone at "Neutral". Once we start getting more multiple posts from people we can start to see trends.
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 am UTC

In order or suspicion.

FoS: Greenlover, for considering me and mpolo townie. We (at least I) did nothing that we (I) wouldn't have also said if we (I) was scum. Being helpful is townie, yes, but in this setup (seeing as there's not much we can do to beat the odds). I don't think it was even helpful, just somewhat obvious. I had nothing else to begin with though.

FoS: mpolo, For saying thing that he believes are not helpful for town:
...and would probably unlikely be the first voter. Except that I've said this now and ruined things.


FoS: Lataro, for claiming to be the Thing, so that we think he's not the Thing, while he actually is the Thing. Unless he think's that would be too obvious, so we would reach the decision that he is not the Thing. Making his plan of claiming to be the Thing perfect, making us think he is town.... Don't you agree?

FoS: Zemerick, for this being their first game. Reads on first time players are tough.

FoS: Lorenz, for FoS-ing everyone, making the FoS's less of an attack.

FoS: Gopher of Pern: For knowing who the Thing is, and not telling us.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:44 am UTC

EBWOP:

FoS: Greenlover, for considering me and mpolo townie. We (at least I) did nothing that we (I) wouldn't have also said if we (I) was scum. Being helpful is townie, yes, but in this setup (seeing as there's not much we can do to beat the odds), I don't think it was really helpful, just somewhat obvious. I had nothing else to begin with though.


FoS: mpolo, For saying things that he believes are not helpful for town:


Lataro's FoS is striped out because I was writing the post in a different way (I was only going to FoS Greenlover and Lataro, and marking it out was a way to say I didn't make my mind up about the wine.) I forgot to remove it.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby mpolo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Lorenz wrote:FoS: Gopher of Pern: For knowing who the Thing is, and not telling us.


I would say that this one is the one to follow up on, except that it doesn't help us much.

The thing about the 53% chance of winning for town is that that only applies to the two (who don't know who they are yet) who survive unconverted into day two. So it feels like we only have a 20% chance of winning. But I guess it isn't as unbalanced as I was thinking. Certainly the current Thing has the greatest chance of winning, unless we manage to get him (or should I say "it"?) to slip up.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby mpolo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

I have to post to make sure that I don't go over 24 hours -- I doubt that I'll be on as early tomorrow as today. I don't have any new thoughts, though. More tomorrow.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lataro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

Excellent.

First and foremost....

Vote: Greenlover


As for the reason... he took the bait. First, he completely ignores any points made in the first half of my post, what consists of the real post, and focuses exclusively on the second half.

Basically, his post said, "Everyone else is townie for making comments on the setup, except Lataro, who we should lynch because he made himself an easy target"

This is followed by: "I think we should lynch Lataro, but I won't be the first to vote" Which I'd personally add to the end of that logic as saying, "So that others can and I can hammer win."

Seeing as random vote is as good as any in this situation D1, tossing a little bait seemed like a decent enough plan to see if anyone actually latched on to it.

Congratulations, you win!
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
User avatar
Lataro
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby greenlover » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Lataro wrote:As for the reason... he took the bait.
So, basically, you decided to spread wine and call it "bait"? Geez, so scum tells are now bait for the scum. :roll:

I'm not scum, but I wouldn't blame you all for lynching me. I certainly don't have a better alternative in mind at the moment, since, regardless of his alignment, Lataro trying to trap (or make it look like he is trapping) the scum makes perfect sense.
User avatar
greenlover
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:06 am UTC

mpolo wrote:...
The thing about the 53% chance of winning for town is that that only applies to the two (who don't know who they are yet) who survive unconverted into day two. So it feels like we only have a 20% chance of winning. But I guess it isn't as unbalanced as I was thinking. Certainly the current Thing has the greatest chance of winning, unless we manage to get him (or should I say "it"?) to slip up.


I wouldn't say that: I'd argue that if you are town, and die D1 but the surviving town wins D2...you still won. The real loser by your argument would be D1 scum with a 0% chance of winning...they're the only guaranteed person to die! However, I would say that if scum wins D2, the person that was D1 scum is also a winner. They had to do their part. This is a team effort. No one can win this entirely by themselves.

Alright, a little review time.

We have Lorenz FOSing everyone, though he even calls attention to it in the post making it very winey.
mpolo seems to be trying to push that scum is likely to win...doesn't seem like a "lets give up argument", but rather a "We really need to try hard" argument, and thus is slightly townie.
Lataro is playing aggressive, and filling his posts with wine. This seems pretty typical, so still neutral, but perhaps slightly town.
Greenlover seemed to play it minimalist and non-confrontational with that response to Lataros attack. This seems slightly more scummy than not: If he was town, he should be trying harder to stop a town lynch as both D1 and D2 are extremely vital.

Alright, lets think about some likely plays for scum, since this is a bit different than normal.

With only 1 scum, and a max of 2 days, the first priority of scum would likely to be laying low. So, they will probably avoid being the first voter ( Hence the slightly town for Lataro even though he is acting typical/neutral ). In fact, they are most likely to go for the hammer vote: Since they won't be scum D2, we can't use that to help us. However, if they see people being a bit iffy, they might try to follow an initial vote and try to get a 3rd bandwagon vote. So,

FoS whoever brings a vote on someone up to 2.

Another priority of Scum will be to move things fast. With a purely random vote, the D1 scum has a very good chance of surviving, and even more so since his own vote would likely never be random, but fully intended to keep a vote away from themselves. So, the less Town has to work on, the better for scum. I recommend we go for deadline....though we might run out of content before then since that's almost a week away and we have so few.

On to town: We should expect a lot of content coming out of town. We all need to put out quite a bit, and really work the scumhunting. We do have to be wary of blind alleys though, and vendettas, etc. We should take our time, and really think things through. Even wine is better than nothing. Random, while slightly town advantage, is extremely manipulable by Scum.

I look forward to Greenlovers next response the most, though I'm sure Lataros next response will not disappoint either.
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Vote: Greenlover

Greenlover's attitude is screaming scum at me. I was already worried for claiming people as townie (getting people on your good side). Their attitude of "I wouldn't blame you for lynching me" is the kind of thing I've said while being scum. It's just about getting people to feel guilty for voting you. Town doesn't really have any reason to give such warnings.

Now, if I do keep that vote on, and nobody hammers, Zemerick and mpolo will be confirmed town. I'm very willing to take that gamble, but I'm also risking losing D1 information.

Unvote

I will put my vote back up soon, as I don't know if there really is that much more information we can gain.

However... mpolo seems to be in a lay-low position. Scum can get away with that easily.

Vote: mpolo
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 am UTC

zemerick wrote:
mpolo wrote:...
The thing about the 53% chance of winning for town is that that only applies to the two (who don't know who they are yet) who survive unconverted into day two. So it feels like we only have a 20% chance of winning. But I guess it isn't as unbalanced as I was thinking. Certainly the current Thing has the greatest chance of winning, unless we manage to get him (or should I say "it"?) to slip up.


I wouldn't say that: I'd argue that if you are town, and die D1 but the surviving town wins D2...you still won. The real loser by your argument would be D1 scum with a 0% chance of winning...they're the only guaranteed person to die! However, I would say that if scum wins D2, the person that was D1 scum is also a winner. They had to do their part. This is a team effort. No one can win this entirely by themselves.


Except that according to the rules of this game, D1 scum has an 80% chance of winning, because he wins by avoiding the lynch. He dies, but this is not important to his win condition.

Townies win if and only if they lynch scum AND survive to the end of the game. Any unlucky townie that we lynch loses the game. I guess that really only affects the first townie to be lynched, since if we lynch a second townie, we all lose.

I'm a little bit nervous about you re-interpreting the win conditions, but I don't quite see what kind of agenda that misinterpretation might be. So I'll chalk that up to not reading the first post carefully.

I'm not quite sure where this "laying low" argument is coming from. I have been posting, and analyzing the setup, because there was really no other content to analyze.

Greenlover: Accuses Lataro of saying nothing at all in his post, when there was some content at the beginning of it. Jumps immediately to an "I wouldn't blame you if you decided to lynch me" mode. As others have said, this has a scummy feeling.

Lataro: I can certainly imagine him setting up a "trap". I didn't really comment on the post at all because it was some information about the setup and what I considered to be an obvious joke.

Lorenz: Voting for me is obviously a negative in my book, since I know my own alignment. But aggressive play is more often townie, so I won't be OMGUSing without some kind of other evidence against him.

zemerick: Seems to have misunderstood the win conditions, but the rest of his post seems to be "right". I wouldn't say that I am "pushing" that it is easy for scum to win, but stating that that is the way it feels going into day one.

In a certain sense, eagerness to get to a vote could be a sign of Thinginess, since the Thing doesn't really care who gets lynched as long as it isn't him. However, zemerick is right that the Thing would more likely vote second or third to call less attention to himself. Town prefers a lynch of the Thing, but should be willing to "settle" for any lynch except for themselves. No one should be resigned to be lynched, as being lynched is a loss for all of us. Which leaves Greenlover in the least tenable position, I believe.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:21 am UTC

Votals:
Greenlover - 1 (Lataro)
Mpolo - 1 (Lorenz)

Deadline in 5 days and 40 minutes.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
User avatar
Gopher of Pern
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby greenlover » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

Lorenz wrote:Greenlover's attitude is screaming scum at me. I was already worried for claiming people as townie (getting people on your good side). Their attitude of "I wouldn't blame you for lynching me" is the kind of thing I've said while being scum. It's just about getting people to feel guilty for voting you. Town doesn't really have any reason to give such warnings.
Wait, what? What else do you expect me to say? "Hey, you caught scum! W00t!" or "Hey, I'm not even going to comment on Latato's trap, even though its why he is voting for me!"? I don't see how I can be anything other than scummy with your standard.

zemerick wrote:Greenlover seemed to play it minimalist and non-confrontational with that response to Lataros attack. This seems slightly more scummy than not: If he was town, he should be trying harder to stop a town lynch as both D1 and D2 are extremely vital.
mpolo wrote:Greenlover: Accuses Lataro of saying nothing at all in his post, when there was some content at the beginning of it. Jumps immediately to an "I wouldn't blame you if you decided to lynch me" mode. As others have said, this has a scummy feeling.
These comments I don't get. Of course I don't want to be lynched. I was simply stating the facts: in a game were its next to impossible to find scumtells, any "scumtells" (if someone pointing out the shield of wine that Lataro put around himself is a "scumtell") that are found are going to be jumped on and pushed through quite strongly. Thus, the chances of my not being lynched at this point is about 0? Since when is being rational being minimalist?

Right now, I believe one of either Lataro and Lorenz is the scum. Lorenz seems more suspicious in my opinion because he seems to be trying to justify lynching me with everything he's got, so

Vote: Lorenz
User avatar
greenlover
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

No, you could have simply went with stating how silly his trap was (and you did). You could have admitted that it was a trap, but still something you had to attack (which you kind of did). All of that is perfectly well. My problem is your attitude of
" :cry: :cry: :cry: After you lynch me and I'm town, I won't be mad at you :cry: :cry: :cry:"

HOWEVER, if you are indeed town, we are giving the Thing an extremely easy win.
I like the pressure(even if slight) that mpolo is placing on zemerick, and he stood well against my somewhat silly and random vote. Still, I want my vote to be down, and I don't really have any reason to move it towards anyone else right now.

Also, I'm starting to believe that not putting anyone at L-1 til games end is a terrible idea, as we would have to make a quick choice as to who is scum then, and would probably have to follow on the person who has 3 votes. If we put someone (for example, greenlover) at L-1 now, we would have 2 confirmed townies (Zemerick and mpolo), giving us more time to rally a scum-hunt between me, Lataro and Greenlover.

In fact
Unvote
Vote: Greenlover


I'm just taking a gamble here, and I feel good about it.

If someone does speed-lynch, then I'm sorry. Still, our chances of lynching scum today are quite low, and will be quite low till the end of the day if we do nothing about it. This can be helpful.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

and by 3 votes, I mean 2.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Well, this definitely leaves me in a tough situation. First off, obviously my choosing not to hammer GL right now confirms my not being Scum, as that would be a D1 win and move to new scum D2. As such, I'll just shrug off any comments about me and move on to the important stuff.

FoS: Lorenz
Obvious reason is obvious. The only reason a town would put up a second vote is if they are very sure that Scum is among the 3 people. At random, that's only a 3 in 5 odds, not something town should be playing with.

While I agreed that GL was acting slightly scummy, I don't feel he has been given sufficient time to explain his actions, and that they were never that strong. Lorenz seems to be trying to explain off his vote arguing that making a quick vote at the end would be a bad idea. I ask: How could that be a worse idea than quick voting now, when we have so little information? We only have 2 posts from Lataro so far!

All that said though, I'm in a bit of a predicament. If I go with my current main suspicion, and vote for Lorenz...if I'm wrong, it's a guaranteed win for scum who just switches their vote. If I vote for Greenlover, that's hammer..so I better be sure on that one too. If I wait to vote, then I must be certain that mpolo is not scum and simply hasn't shown up yet, promptly voting GL for the win. If mpolo is town, he simply has to make the same judgement call I am now.

As it stands, I trust mpolo the most, and distrust both GL and Lorenz. While I do trust mpolo, I trust myself more as I know I am town, and even if mpolo is town, I shouldn't just chicken out and force the decision on him.

Well, I said earlier that pretty much the scummiest thing someone could do is be vote #2...definitely this early on. As such:

Vote: Lorenz

I guess we find out who scum is today!
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Ahh man...serves me right. I just lost track of the post order for the votals and didn't see I just hammered a confirmed townie:(

I'm not able to EBWOP or unvote since I hammered, am I?

Just in case I am allowed:

Unvote: Lorenz
Vote: Greenlover

If not, oh well. My bad:( Live and L2Read.
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby zemerick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

zemerick wrote:Ahh man...serves me right. I just lost track of the post order for the votals and didn't see I just hammered a confirmed townie:(

I'm not able to EBWOP or unvote since I hammered, am I?

Just in case I am allowed:

Unvote: Lorenz
Vote: Greenlover

If not, oh well. My bad:( Live and L2Read.


EBWOP:
Ignore all of the above. I read correct the first time, failed to read the second. That decision made me too paranoid. I just mixed up the vote, and who voted parts.

MOD: I think we need a mod to come in and say how this will go out since I am "editing" the post before another post due to confusion and really screwed this up, hehe. For the record, I want the entire last post removed, including the unvote/vote part.

For the record, I want the original to stand if possible. I do understand though that I would have hammered Greenlover for sure this time...PMing GoP now to see about working this out.

I do apologize all, I truly screwed all that up.
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Lorenz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

ASuming the day goes on...

unvote

Can you do the same zemerick? Ill explain later, from phone right now
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro]

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

It didn't take long for it all to go to hell.

Lataro started babbling to themselves, claiming that they are The Thing, and tries to get the others to kill him. Greenlover pointed this out, and was then quickly accused of being The Thing. Lorenz just shouted accusations at everyone, including shouting foul obscenities at God for their predicament. Zemerick calls for calm, and not to rush to any quick moves. Mpolo calmly reasons through everything, trying to get everything out in the open to make a better decision. Greenlover accuses the people accusing him, pointing the finger at Lorenz. Lorenz points it back, saying that Greenlover is acting very strange. Zemerick then snaps. They pick up the gun, and point it at Lorenz. "It's you, isn't it? Wait, no, it must be Greenlover! No Lorenz! AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!"

10 shots ring out, one of the bullets hitting the lamp, plunging the place in darkness. It takes awhile for someone to light the lamp back up, in which there was much scuffling amid the confusion. When the lamp is finally lit, it is discovered that Greenlover's body is lying on the floor, riddled with bullets, with a look of shock on their face. Greenlover was not The Thing.

Zemerick looks sheepishly at the gun in his hand, and lets it drop to the floor. That's when it is realised that Lataro is no longer with you. A quick search of their locker reveals the body of Lataro, obviously a few hours old, torn to shreds by The Thing. It is now apparent that Lataro was The Thing, but now it looks like it is one of the remaining three.


Votals for Day 1:
Greenlover - 3 (Lataro, Lorenz, Zemerick)
Lorenz - 1 (Greenlover)

Greenlover was lynched. They were a Scientist. They lose.
Lataro was The Thing. They win.

Someone new is The Thing. There are now 3 players alive, 2 to lynch. Deadline in 7 days, so it ends at 10AM October 15th ADST, or 11PM Friday 14th October, UTC
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
User avatar
Gopher of Pern
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Lataro » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:32 am UTC

:D Excellent...
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."
User avatar
Lataro
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Lorenz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Well, I wanted to have someone post and the I would unvote. I wass online for a long time and was hoping that would happen. I saw mpolo, Zemerick and Lataro come online at that time, but nobody posted anything. At that point I was sure mpolo ans zemerick were town, but they didn't post, so I grew angry and just kept my vote, even though I had to log out. Not that any of this matters anymore....

...it's a new day. Any suggestions as to how we play this? The strategy remains the same. A single miss-vote leads to a quick-lynch. If scum votes first, then they will confirm someone as town. If town votes first, they risk confirming someone as town vs losing.

So... is there any reason why I shouldn't just take a guess and vote for someone right now?
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby zemerick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Lorenz wrote:Well, I wanted to have someone post and the I would unvote. I wass online for a long time and was hoping that would happen. I saw mpolo, Zemerick and Lataro come online at that time, but nobody posted anything. At that point I was sure mpolo ans zemerick were town, but they didn't post, so I grew angry and just kept my vote, even though I had to log out. Not that any of this matters anymore....

...it's a new day. Any suggestions as to how we play this? The strategy remains the same. A single miss-vote leads to a quick-lynch. If scum votes first, then they will confirm someone as town. If town votes first, they risk confirming someone as town vs losing.

So... is there any reason why I shouldn't just take a guess and vote for someone right now?


Yea, we might have actually had that if it wasn't for me..I was just starting to suspect Lataro for his recent absence, and your unvote would have gotten you back towards neutral.

Oh well...to the present:)

I'm kinda thinking a blind vote is good too. It's a 50/50, and I'm not really thinking we would get any kind of scumtells/towntells that would be significant enough. Example: Right now, you have a scumtell of trying to rush it, but that's pretty minor....doubly so since I was thinking about it anyways. Not even enough for a FoS yet. Worse yet, to win actually requires 2 50/50s giving town a poor 25% chance to win ( If I don't vote for scum, scum hammers. If I do, then the odd town out has to make a 50/50 choice, and only if he also picks scum does town win.)

I don't know: We were sidetracked on the last one, but with more time we might have gotten back on track.

I think I'll at least sleep on it, and see what mpolo has to say tomorrow before tossing some coins around.

PS: I often browse from my phone, but rarely post from it, so yea...those onlines before with no post were me just hitting refresh and seeing what's going on. I prefer to post from the computer so I can have a few pages up and check/verify things.
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:39 am UTC

I did come on, but since zemerick had hammered (and I didn't see any way that any mod was going to allow him to get away with unhammering), I didn't feel that there was any way at all to post and not be outside the rules of the game. So I didn't.

We're here again with a new day one, so to speak, as one of us has been changed, and the change seems to have been random, as far as I can tell from the rules.

rules wrote:a new person becomes the scum


Which means that we have to start posting to see who is the Thing. There are three of us, so any vote that we place is potentially a bandwagon, so we have to be careful. (I probably won't be back until this evening.)
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:44 am UTC

Well, I was back in the evening, but had nothing to comment on. Commenting again because of the 24-hour rule.

Not a lot has changed, obviously. We need discussion. Someone is a horrible alien being, and if we don't stop it, it may take over the world! Isn't that worth making a post or two.

As town, we have one good target and one bad target. If we hit the bad target, the Thing is pretty sure to win, as he will just hammer. If we hit the good target, if the second townie gets on first, he is likely to be unwilling to hammer. If the Thing comes on first, he is likely to just vote for the first townie, leaving the second townie with a 50/50 chance of winning the game.

This is complicated by the fact that the first vote could be placed by the Thing himself, er, itself (possibly a risky move, but a winey one to say the least).

I'm tempted to take fate into my own hands and vote and let the chips fall, but on the off chance that we can get some conversation going, I'm going to hold off.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Lorenz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:26 am UTC

Posting for 24 hour rule, but I don't know if it applies during the weekend. Mpolo's posts make me lean towards him being scum, but I have to get on this when I'm not so tired.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Lorenz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

I'm glad I didn't make any rash decisions yesterday. The only thing that really popped up to me was

Which means that we have to start posting to see who is the Thing. There are three of us, so any vote that we place is potentially a bandwagon, so we have to be careful. (I probably won't be back until this evening.)


This is the thing that rang the most bells to me. My opinion is that scum has no reason to be the first to vote, as they just confirm a townie. Suggesting that the first vote will be a bandwagon is scummy. I mean, you are only suggesting that the first vote MAY be placed by scum, which is very possible and valid. I'm not even sure why I think this is scummy, but it just feels that way.

And zemerick also has that Alien look going on, so I don't know.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

No, what I was trying to suggest is that any first vote against a townie by a townie will turn into a bandwagon (i.e. game loss) if the scum sees it. Hence the note for caution in placing votes. I wasn't even really considering the Thing voting with that statement. I guess I could have expressed that better.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Lorenz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Yeah, I did realize that was happening, which is why I didn't feel you really being scummy. I mean, it's not like anyone will really display signs of scum. We we all town last day and it's not like the arguments will change.

If nobody objects, I'm going to flip a coin tomorrow and cast a vote. I have no better solution.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Lorenz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

wait.... game ends after 2 days, but...

If town is lynched, the townie that isn't lynched would turn Alien and also win as scum?

I know the answer is probably "no", but I might as well ask.
User avatar
Lorenz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby zemerick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:17 am UTC

24 hr post...and yea, I'm kinda thinking coin flip. At least scum cant interfere with that, cause I dont trust either of you and you dont trust me.
User avatar
zemerick
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Re: The Thing [Micro] - Day 2 - Confusion Reigns Supreme

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 am UTC

No. If The Thing survives today, only they and Lataro get a win.

Votals:
None.

Deadline in 4 days and 15 hours.

I was lenient with posting due to the weekend, but please don't just post "24 hr posts".
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
User avatar
Gopher of Pern
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Next

Return to Mafia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests