I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Just bought a new mouse, and need a new FPS.

I really liked Half-Life 2, but have played practically nothing newer on a PC. I also can't go too much higher in system specs required on my laptop.

What else from that era/similar PC load is good?

Not technically shooters, but you should play Portal and its sequel if you haven't.
Endless Mike

Postby Myt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Can anyone suggest some good point and click games which don't require the keyboard much?
Myt

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am UTC

Myt wrote:Can anyone suggest some good point and click games which don't require the keyboard much?

Have you played any of the Myst games?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

Don't point-and-click games not use the keyboard much by definition? The only one I can think of that does really make use of the keyboard is Grim Fandango, and that doesn't really count.

I'll toss out Syberia.
Jorpho

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Myt wrote:Can anyone suggest some good point and click games which don't require the keyboard much?

the Monkey Island Special Editions.

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

The Longest Journey. It's on Steam and GoG. Get it.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:03 am UTC

Diablo and Diablo II can be played entirely using the mouse with only a small amount of interaction from the keyboard.
Beardhammer

Postby Decker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Lack of a shift key and the alt key makes things a bit more difficult (or at least inconvenient), mind you. Not to mention belt hot keys.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
The Longest Journey. It's on Steam and GoG. Get it.

^ Seconding that, by the way.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!
Aaeriele

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:51 am UTC

Y'know, I've kept an eye on it, but I've never once seen TLJ go on sale on Steam. It's very strange.

At least Dreamfall finally went on sale on GamersGate a while back.
Jorpho

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:45 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Y'know, I've kept an eye on it, but I've never once seen TLJ go on sale on Steam. It's very strange.

At least Dreamfall finally went on sale on GamersGate a while back.

The TLJ+Dreamfall combined pack was on sale during the last Steam sale.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!
Aaeriele

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 am UTC

Dang, so it did. In a big way.
Jorpho

Postby Habbakuk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:51 am UTC

I suggest Robot Unicorn Attack!
Habbakuk

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Y'know, I've kept an eye on it, but I've never once seen TLJ go on sale on Steam. It's very strange.

It is on sale. They should charge 30 bucks for that game. It's one of the awesomest games ever.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby Jexas » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

Okay, so this summer I got into Dungeons and Dragons, (the tabletop version, not that MMO stuff), and I was wondering if there was any well-made game that was a cooperative multiplayer Fantasy RPG. I really liked the cooperative aspect of the game but my general experience with WoW and other MMOs is that the social aspect is an "illusion". Basically something like Neverwinter Nights but with co-op in which you and a group of friends you know IRL assemble to play the game at a certain time, go adventuring for a bit, etc. I'm not looking for anything with a MMO capability, because I find MMOs too sprawling and addictive.

Thoughts?
Jexas

Postby Shivahn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

You could try... Neverwinter Nights. Just get together with your friends and laptops and either play the campaign or (probably better) download some of the user made content. There's a lot out there, so you'll certainly be able to find something good.

What are you looking for that isn't in NWN? I'm not sure I really understand what you're looking for, if that wasn't good enough.
Shivahn

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:05 am UTC

We had a thread about something called Nobilis a while back.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12438

No, wait, that's not what I was thinking of. Dash it! It was some single-word name like "Insomnia", or something.

Ah, of course! Sleep is Death:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=59518
Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

It occurs to me I should be able to do Something with this surplus computer equipment I've got lying around.

What's a good game for two or three people to play in the same room on two or three separate computers while others spectate? (I say "or three" because the best I can do for computer #3 is an AGP Radeon 9600 XT; the others are more up to current spec.)

RTSs and FPS deathmatch are obvious candidates, but I don't much care for either of those, nor am I especially fond of the typical 2D fighter. Little Fighters springs to mind, come to think of it. Or maybe Worms/Liero, for that matter. And I've got Outrun Coast 2 Coast kicking around. Or GTA 1, maybe.
Jorpho

Postby Nath » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Since people are talking about DnD games, Good Old Games has a pretty relevant promotion ending in, um, a couple of hours. Up to 60% off DnD games, depending on how many you get.
Nath

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

So I like board games. Especially ones with cool miniatures. I've been thinking about getting into a miniatures game instead. Bought some of the Axis and Allies miniatures, was looking at the WH40k stuff. Warhammer I'm not sure about, because it looks like it is extremely expensive. Cost isn't a huge issue for me, but I really don't feel like putting $500 into a shoebox of miniatures I may not play much. So I'm looking for some suggestions. I guess in board games I already have BattleLore, a bunch of Battlescape stuff, that huge game with a battle mat that's like 5x5', Risk, Axis and Allies, a few others.

Oh, and does anyone have a good suggestion as to where I could trade in or return a board game? I got the Halo Wars Risk game as a gift, and have absolutely no desire to play it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

emceng wrote: Warhammer I'm not sure about, because it looks like it is extremely expensive. Cost isn't a huge issue for me, but I really don't feel like putting $500 into a shoebox of miniatures I may not play much. So I'm looking for some suggestions.

In my short stint as a Wahammerer, I noticed that it's people who treat it both as a game and an art project that get the appropriate bang for their buck. Since I saw it as just a game, it was far to expensive for me.
Decker

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
emceng wrote: Warhammer I'm not sure about, because it looks like it is extremely expensive. Cost isn't a huge issue for me, but I really don't feel like putting $500 into a shoebox of miniatures I may not play much. So I'm looking for some suggestions.

In my short stint as a Wahammerer, I noticed that it's people who treat it both as a game and an art project that get the appropriate bang for their buck. Since I saw it as just a game, it was far to expensive for me.

I'd kind of like to try and paint miniatures, but I suck at art in general. I can't draw a straight line without a ruler, and would not be able to paint a tiny, tiny dude to my own satisfaction. I could dip it in a vat of green and call it painted, and get the same satisfaction as using tiny brushes and toothpicks to try and get everything colored right, before screaming and swearing because I touched something with the wrong color, or smudged something, or dropped a nicely painted figure into a pile of cat hair. Plus the patience required, since you really should paint one part at time and let it dry, before doing another part.

OK, I am way over thinking this.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Yep. Buy a cheap box of minis, and a couple of paint colors, and paint them. Those linked barely require any assembly, but it's enough to give you a rough idea as to how difficult it is to paint them.

Also, keep in mind that most people only really give a shit about their commanders or other models that are special to them. The general rank and file troops? If it looks good at arm's length, it's good enough for play.

Now, as for whether or not it's even worth getting into... find out if there are any groups nearby that play, 40K or Fantasy, whatever. Hang out with them for a bit (which is gonna be awkward, but... not much way around it if you don't already know someone) and see if one of them'll teach you the game.

But yeah.. in regards to painting, it's always useful to keep this in mind. The minis on the cover of the boxes and in the books that are painted so nice and detailed to where you can see the creases in their leather pouches and so on? Yeah.. just remember that someone's job was - literally - to do nothing but paint those minis for a couple of months. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. So not only do they have the experience over you, they have all the time they need to fix any mistakes they make, and lots of resources to test painting tricks.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

I've been thinking about trying 40K now that I have a semi-disposable income again.
Decker

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 am UTC

My advice:
Wargaming places tend to be split between:
Games Workshop shops with tables, where you can only play GW brand stuff. If you like it, then good!
Places where people mainly play Warmachine or Flames of War (or both or plus Warhammer/40k)
Places where people play a huge range of minor time periods/rules/manufacturers.

Now for the first, find what you think's coolest about one of the GW things, and get a starter set. Same for the second, but between Warmachine, FoW or GW stuff.
For the third, generally the done thing is to buy two balanced sides of a battle (in whatever system), and then play using your models/system or someone else's models/system. Be that English Civil War or Steampunk battleships or '50s Rocket Ships.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby a1aka3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 am UTC

Hi i lookoing game for kids (3/7 years) in internet website it;s ? iknow meny , but the best ? sorry my lang
Verified Human - ST
a1aka3

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 am UTC

edit: l0l okay, I figured nothing like that would exist.

Since I'm home for break and there's rather spotty internet, I'm looking for a game I can put a lot of time into offline while still having rewarding multiplayer play. One example of course is Diablo, but D2 isn't really interesting to me at the moment.

Currently all I have is Dungeon Defenders, which works fine on a terrible connection but I have to play alone, which kind of defeats the purpose. I have a few single-player RPGs but I can't bring myself to play them since I feel like I'm wasting time on something with no multiplayer :P

No FPS games, please; those make me dizzy, unfortunately. And yes, I know what Minecraft is. Anything else works though. The games I have played the most are SC1, WoW, DotA and LoL, and Magic: the Gathering, so really I'd be okay with anything of the type. It just has to work with either no or poor (~500 ping) internet connection and have some rewarding PvP or even just co-op (Dungeon Defenders) aspects.

(Although, DD has pretty hilarious PvP :3)
Spoiler:
Fin Archangel

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Looking for a gravity/orbital simulator. 2d preferably. I liked some of the levels in Osmos, but found it was a bit too simplistic/boring. I'm thinking/hoping for a game that lets you control a ship and try for orbital insertion around different planets. I'm not looking for anything as technical as a flight sim, really thinking more basic. So, a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice sweet spot between Osmos and flight sim. Any suggestions?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Have you tried Kerbal Space Program? It's 3D and might have more focus on construction and less on actual structered goals than you are looking for, but it's a free, fairly simplified, rocket/space sim.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

I tried it, found it lacking. I hear there was an update though that corrected some glitches, so maybe I'll give it another go. Any other games come to mind? I remember YEARS ago, going to some science museum and sitting at kiosk and playing a 2-d orbiter simulator. Probably not public release, but it was black and white screen, and only had a 'forward' and 'reverse' thrust option, and the goal was to adjust your incoming trajectory so you flew a stable orbit around the planet. There were a few starting conditions, but otherwise it was pretty streamlined.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

How about this game?

Postby xkcijik » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Hey guys, I am looking for a Pirate game or a game that has pirate class, whatever. Anyone has a good recommendation?

I was browsing the internet and some Pirate ladies image just popped up. A game named conquer online. I assume this is not a new title, just a new Pirate themed of expansion. It looks fine to me. The pirate figure is quite evil and it’s said that this character will have some devastating skills and weapons. Um…will try. Anybody know about this game.

Come a have a look at the pictures
Spoiler:

A new map

New monsters
My Recent Blogs :D

My Games List

My Game Blog Welcome to comment your opinions :)

My Twitter http://twitter.com/leagendry
xkcijik

Re: How about this game?

Postby rigwarl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier% ... video_game)

Is old, but one of my favorite games.
rigwarl

Postby blackened45 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

^ agreed with the Sid Meier game, takes me back ages ago.

the Pirates of the Caribbean game series is decent enough. try it out.
blackened45

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:41 am UTC

Pirates of the Caribbean? Wasn't that basically a remake of one of the Sea Dogs games?

Apparently some of the users made a whacking great patch for it that made the game surprisingly enjoyable after it was left in a shambles by the developer.
Jorpho

Postby blackened45 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 am UTC

yeah, but with a movie to boot, the Pirates games gained a few interests, although in history, movie turned into games come out pretty "eeeuuucch", same can be said in game to movie.
blackened45

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!_(2004_video_game)

Is old, but one of my favorite games.

It's actually available on iPad now.
Endless Mike

Postby lucrezaborgia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 am UTC

I'm looking for some PS2 games (cuz I'm a cheap date) that would be somewhat storyline based as well as lots of fighting and whatnot. Baldurs Gate was what I last placed with my fiance. I like that kind of storyline. I also love all things Mario and Zelda though I have not played anything other than from the old NES era. Yes...I suck. :cry: I also love puzzle like games and wandering around and exploring fun stuff.

I also have a sadistic streak.
lucrezaborgia

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:45 am UTC

That doesn't narrow it down much...

Practically everyone enthusiastically recommends ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Have you played those already?
Jorpho

Postby The Moomin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 am UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:I'm looking for some PS2 games (cuz I'm a cheap date) that would be somewhat storyline based as well as lots of fighting and whatnot. Baldurs Gate was what I last placed with my fiance. I like that kind of storyline. I also love all things Mario and Zelda though I have not played anything other than from the old NES era. Yes...I suck. :cry: I also love puzzle like games and wandering around and exploring fun stuff.

I also have a sadistic streak.

Have you tried Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Cloud
The Moomin

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

I loved the stories in Jak II and III.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming