Laptop Changes Screen Resolution Every 30 Seconds

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Laptop Changes Screen Resolution Every 30 Seconds

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:53 am UTC

My laptop changes to 800x600 just by itself, gives me a little notice in the corner that "This is not the optimal resolution for Clone Displays", then changes back to my regular resolution with the same sound effect it used when I unplug a USB device. This happens every 30 seconds, roughly, but sometimes it'll just do it constantly, back and forth, for a little while, and right now, nothing for three minutes.

This has never happened before.

WTH.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Re: Laptop Changes Screen Resolution Every 30 Seconds

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 am UTC

do you have multiple monitors? if not it sounds like your laptop thinks you do, maybe you could try reinstalling your video drivers.

honestly i have no idea, I just felt bad that you posted this hours ago and no one has replied yet.

Postby yewbie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

I wonder if there is some "gunk" in your vga/hdmi/s-video/rca video plug on the system that makes it think something is plugged into it.
yewbie

Postby JBJ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

Sounds like a behavior associated with the laptop lid thinking it is closed.

Does your laptop have the little pop-up button thingy (for lack of a better technical term) that gets pressed down when the lid closes? If so, try jiggling it or blowing it out with some compressed air to make sure it's not making contact.

If not, there's probably a sensor in the hinges that detects when the lid is closed. In that case, can you get it to change resolution by moving the screen?
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
JBJ

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Why would it change resolution whenever it closes? Doesn't it just turn off when it closes?

So far, adjusting or moving the screen hasn't set it off, and it seems to have stopped.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby cphite » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Why would it change resolution whenever it closes? Doesn't it just turn off when it closes?

So far, adjusting or moving the screen hasn't set it off, and it seems to have stopped.

How long was it doing this? If it just happened a couple of times, you may have had a driver update or something and it was just adjusting itself.

If it was longer, it could be a hardware issue.
cphite

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Pretty steadily for two days, all done now. o.O

While typing another post, mid-sentence, a little screen popped up with a picture of the laptop's touchpad, and a red "no" symbol over the hand. My touchpad just turned itself off. Not only has it never done that before, I didn't even know it was possible. My Windows Help does not mention anything, anywhere, about my touchpad, or how to turn it on or off.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby ajd007 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Some laptops have a button next to or above the touchpad to turn it on or off. You may have accidentally touched it
ajd007

Postby Amy78 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

I had the same problem on my MAC! Nothing seemed to work to adjust the screen resolution. It would always just switch back. Did anything work out?
Amy78

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:50 am UTC

Yes, it all eventually and inexplicably stopped. I think it can be safely summed up as "Fucking Windows 7".
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Return to The Help Desk