Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:50 am UTC

Well here's a rough map for newcomers.

Code: Select all

+-----+
                                   I                      |     |
                                                          |     |
                                                          +-----+
     +-------------------------------------+
                                                      s
                                                                          N
                                                              O
                                                          +
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                      c   |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                   A      |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          |
                                                          V

Up is north, sun rises at right, sets at left.

s: spawn
N: Narnia (castle)
O: Observatory
Square near spawn: xkcd comic
I: Castle Impenetrable
c: communarium
A: USS Roosevelt
Downwards line: 1k rail
Leftwards line: (500m) Skyway

Fiddler's Green (ask someone to take you there): Far, far east of this map

http://www.asciiflow.com/#8472326577342 ... 1842641414

I'll latch on more when someone posts a link to the tectonius map, because chrome tends to lag badly if I open both at once.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:13 am UTC

Yeah, I could find the actual map, but I can't remember who posts them.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:16 am UTC

MrMonkey wrote:And yet again, the map has been updated. :D

Have you seen the SIZE of ganalef's project?! (round 0, -3000)

BAM! Found it!

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:08 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Ooh ooh ooh! Someone wants to come to one point eight lands and needs a tour? Why if you wanted to be exploded you'd be the perfect new member. Has anyone showed him my portal?

Was that yours? I got lost in the nether somehow, and ended up there :P

Took a bit of grass. There's now a bit of grass at spawn.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:26 am UTC

I think it's extremely hard to accidentally get to Scallel's place - you have to follow a really long path, and if you're not sure where you are, you'll be asking yourself "is this the right way?" at least six times during the trip. Takes about 10 minutes nether-walk, or probably 2 hours of walking due west (-6000z). I was going to extend my walkway in that direction, until I saw it on the map and realized how ridiculously far it was.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Steax wrote:I think it's extremely hard to accidentally get to Scallel's place - you have to follow a really long path, and if you're not sure where you are, you'll be asking yourself "is this the right way?" at least six times during the trip. Takes about 10 minutes nether-walk, or probably 2 hours of walking due west (-6000z). I was going to extend my walkway in that direction, until I saw it on the map and realized how ridiculously far it was.

Yeah, if you get lost and end up in 1.8 areas, you probably ended up in my town. Did it open into an NPC village with a bunch of furnaces to your right?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Someone should make a map of ST's server. Not like a Minecraft map, a more abstract (hand-drawn?) one, with rough borders between territories and landmarks.

agreed.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

Shall we just perfect that ASCII map? Click the link, anyone can edit it.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Well, I was trying to get to Gana's Netherside, and I knew that was pretty far away. The massive corridor seemed promising.

The place I got to was called New Haven, by the way.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I think it's extremely hard to accidentally get to Scallel's place - you have to follow a really long path, and if you're not sure where you are, you'll be asking yourself "is this the right way?" at least six times during the trip. Takes about 10 minutes nether-walk, or probably 2 hours of walking due west (-6000z). I was going to extend my walkway in that direction, until I saw it on the map and realized how ridiculously far it was.

You do realize the Narnia Nature Reserve is out near x=-10000+.

The difference is, unlike Scallel, I provide Nether Trolley service. Because I'm nice.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:You do realize the Narnia Nature Reserve is out near x=-10000+.

The difference is, unlike Scallel, I provide Nether Trolley service. Because I'm nice.

Is the Nether trolley's cart dispenser functioning? It never works for me :(
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Two green guys entered my fortress of solitude. Now there's a huge gaping hole in it. :-(
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Two green guys entered my fortress of solitude. Now there's a huge gaping hole in it. :-(
Why must it be about color? I may happen to have skin of a certain color, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make holes! It's a culture, not a costume!

...also, more to the point, 'solitude' requires strong fences or lighting, because when you look like you're in solitude..you look lonely, and in need of a hug. Can it be time for, now, hugsss?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Fuck, I forgot that cacti destroy items. Why would a cactus destroy an item? :|
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

If you try to grab it while it's on a cactus, you might hurt yourself. It's for your own safety, you know!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Well, I was trying to get to Gana's Netherside, and I knew that was pretty far away. The massive corridor seemed promising.

The place I got to was called New Haven, by the way.

Yeah, New Haven is my center of operations. South of there is Chaoszerom's place, and ... um, whatshisname with the pyramids. If you want, you can head west from the portal (you should pass jenny isle) and pass the swamp. There is an unclaimed NPC village on the other side of the river down that way (I ostensibly claim the swamp, but honestly, I don't really care about it).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:You do realize the Narnia Nature Reserve is out near x=-10000+.

Is the Nether trolley's cart dispenser functioning? It never works for me :(

Probably a pigman on the tracks. There's still some kinks that need ironing out, such as replacing things with slabs so the pigmen don't spawn. They fuck up everything.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:

You do realize the Narnia Nature Reserve is out near x=-10000+.

I didn't notice that on the map for some reason. Perhaps Scallel will provide Nether Cannon services.

Anyway, the Skywalk superstructure is complete. Next up, I'm building observation decks and connector decks towards the neighboring areas, as well as hooking it up to the Skyrail (probably going to wait for Meteorswarm to discuss how this works). It's... actually quite a big object, much bigger than I thought it would be like. Simply look west from spawn, and ascend the ladder. There's a lot to see. (My favorite thing to do: building transportation devices.)

Sunrise at spawn!

sunrise.jpg

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Dawn at spawn.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

I'm almost offended Jaho. I am quite nice, very sharing of my wealth and TNT! My apologies if my attempts to fight the obesity epidemic are taken unkindly by you sympathizers!
Also, in other news, does anyone have any ideas for how exactly a " Temple to Logic" would be decorated?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

With coiled snakes made of ice and facing left as well as a logic murder puzzle wherein suspects all claim to be with other suspects at the time of the murder and you have to figure out who is lying.

/BEST GAME (reference) EVAH!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

Ok does anyone, not insane, have any ideas?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:I'm almost offended Jaho. I am quite nice, very sharing of my wealth and TNT! My apologies if my attempts to fight the obesity epidemic are taken unkindly by you sympathizers!
Also, in other news, does anyone have any ideas for how exactly a " Temple to Logic" would be decorated?

Look, I just hate walking, takes too long. Plus, you believe in dangerous murderous routes! I WAS ALMOST BLOWN UP!

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Steax wrote:(probably going to wait for Meteorswarm to discuss how this works)

PM me and let's find a time to take a look at the situation. Also, who built grand central, and how can I hook up with it?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Also, in other news, does anyone have any ideas for how exactly a " Temple to Logic" would be decorated?
Is this a structure already in existence, or a future project?
I've been wanting to build a museum or a library, and have some smooth stone and (birch) wood.
Perhaps the surface could be a building with book shelves (with signs on them, because we can't write in the books themselves) with logical works, like treatises on the physical nature of Minecraft, and theories on the land's history. (Less logically, I'd also like a literature wing, for limericks mostly, or a library as a separate building) Depending on how large it is, there might be room for nature samples, demonstrations of the various states of matter, and/or the latest red-stone engineering developments. For the more temple-y part, underneath it we could build a multi-story labyrinth with a few death traps and small logic puzzles.

Basically, I'm kind of fascinated with the idea of how an individual living in Minecraft might view their world. Would it be obvious that it was created? Without ties to the physical world Minecraftian physics are derived from, how would they perceive and interpret the phenomenon around them? Could ice be said to be cold, bricks heavy, or sunlight warm?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

No no.. Desert Biomes are warm. Lava is warm. Torches are warm. Fire is warm. Frozen biomes are cold. Sunlight is. Water and lava working together have transformative properties towards each other. Snow, which melts, can be formed into snowballs with a shovel and then formed into a snow block. During this transformation, they lose the Cold property and simply become not warm and not cold either. Perhaps they gain a slight magic, as one can apply another snowblock and a pumpkin to make a living creature.

Murderers usually have cactus or lava nearby, as that's the only foolproof way to dispose of the murder weapon. Hiding the body is unnecessary, as they vanish in a few seconds.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:

PM me and let's find a time to take a look at the situation. Also, who built grand central, and how can I hook up with it?

Grand Central was me monkey and me, I already repaired sky rail a week ago, it's hooked up to spawn.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Also, I sell Creeper insurance. It'd be a shame if anything were to happen to your very nice everything...

DAS IST NARNIA!
Spoiler:

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

I could see a wing of the temple decorated with working redstone logic gate examples. Maybe they could be under a glass floor?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

On the thumbnail, the gothic font looks like kanji.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:49 am UTC

Experimental mob channel design to convert mob spawners with three meter tall spawn floors to handle endermen without clogging.

Spoiler:

Comments?

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:

Grand Central was me monkey and me, I already repaired sky rail a week ago, it's hooked up to spawn.

Ok, but we want to make it bidirectional.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:DAS IST NARNIA!

TIL: The island with a crapload of cacti is part of Narnia too.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:DAS IST NARNIA!

TIL: The island with a crapload of cacti is part of Narnia too.

Yeah, I originally considered it part of Narnia way back in the day. Then somebody built cactus country on it, so I gave them a fiefdom. I'm the King, I can do that sort of thing. Though, I really should upgrade to an Empire. Hum... Where to colonize?

Edit: Also, I left out the defunct Mines of Moria. They're somewhere southish of the new school mob spawner. In fact, I think it's pretty much the southern tip of the map at this point.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 am UTC

There's a neat mechanical way to deal with Endermen in mob traps. You want to build your spawning layers out of diagonal squares with diagonals of 15 (that is, 8 points to a side). This gives the squares a middle block which, if water is dumped on it, will evenly push mobs straight off the platform. With a redstone timing system and pistons to systematically turn on and off the water supply, this design tiles perfectly and will even take care of mobs just too stubborn to wander into rivers by systematically flushing them. You can have the water dumping and timing circuitry all higher than Endermen can reach from the spawning platforms, though this does decrease the density of the spawning layers. But really... mob flushing... how can you resist?
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:28 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Scallel wrote:I'm almost offended Jaho. I am quite nice, very sharing of my wealth and TNT! My apologies if my attempts to fight the obesity epidemic are taken unkindly by you sympathizers!

Look, I just hate walking, takes too long. Plus, you believe in dangerous murderous routes! I WAS ALMOST BLOWN UP!

What nearly blew you up, and where? (Also, did Scallel ever add guard rails to the nether paths I made for him?)

Oh, and if you think the route Scallel chose to cross the nether to his place is dangerous, you should have seen the route I was using to get there in our little scuffle... It had three major jumps in it that guaranteed at least 5 hearts of damage a piece, and one of them required you to sprint jump over lava...

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 am UTC

Whoa, I was whitelisted on SexyTalon's server (although I don't know why or when that happened), but now I'm not! :(
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am UTC

Kain wrote:(Also, did Scallel ever add guard rails to the nether paths I made for him?)

No. =p

Scallel, I've started excavating stuff near your base. I've built a temporary outpost right outside (it's closer to the caves). I've been getting ridiculous amounts of rail from the mineshafts, so I might be able to get to work on the netherrail quickly.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Kain wrote:(Also, did Scallel ever add guard rails to the nether paths I made for him?)

No. =p

Good :)

(I was worried Scallel might have gone soft, what with all the people going out that way)

Return to “Gaming”