Alternative versions of Physics

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Alternative versions of Physics

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

Would it be possible for a universe similar to ours exist, with completely different rules of physics? I’m not talking about fiddling with universal constants such as the strengths of the four fundamental forces, leaving the rules the same. I mean, for example, what would chemistry be like if atoms were made of a solid nucleus of indivisible protons and neutrons, with electrons orbiting like planets around a star, and no quantum effects? Could life exist, if stars still somehow worked? Could we have a universe similar to this one if Einstein’s relativity was all wrong and it worked in a way more like the Newtonian rules?

And if there is only one possible way physics can be, that means that in theory you could, given sufficient genius, work it all out a priori without doing any experiments: “life exists, therefore this set of subatomic particles exists, matter must have wave/particle duality, et c.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."
Dr. Diaphanous

Re: Alternative versions of Physics

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

Assuming Maxwell's equations still hold in your non-quantum model universe, electron orbits are unstable as they lose energy by EM radiation and so you end up with the plum pudding model of the atom.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

No, the only other universe allowed is the cowboy universe؟
Spoiler:
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby some_dude » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Also without quantum mechanics the ultraviolet catastrophe would occur so that a black body would emit radiation with infinite power. This would probably be a bad thing.
some_dude

Postby Anaphase » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Another question would be if you could come up with a world that looks something like ours at the "human" scale (whatever "human" really means in that world), but is radically different at every other scale (maybe still following a QFT/GR framework but without retaining anything like the Standard Model or LCDM.) Could you make a geocentric solar system, or a flat Earth, or Philolaus's solar system* or something even weirder? Could you have phlogiston-based combustion?

*An inconceivably bright Central Fire with a flat Earth in orbit around it, always facing directly away. The Sun orbits further out and shines via reflected light.
Anaphase

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:51 pm UTC

I wonder what a flat earth would look like. For one thing there would be no time zones, the sun would rise in all places at once. I guess there wouldn't be a horizon in the same way, so you could see the whole world simultaneously with a telescope from a mountaintop, if the air was clear enough. Also, weather systems would be completely different, and I guess everywhere would have the same climate unless other factors come into play (e.g. if the edges are cooled by the ice cliffs encircling the Earth or something).
Dr. Diaphanous

Postby thoughtfully » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:57 am UTC

some_dude wrote:Also without quantum mechanics the ultraviolet catastrophe would occur so that a black body would emit radiation with infinite power. This would probably be a bad thing.

Presuming Maxwell's equations are retained.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
thoughtfully

Postby bosonicyouth » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:I wonder what a flat earth would look like. For one thing there would be no time zones, the sun would rise in all places at once. I guess there wouldn't be a horizon in the same way, so you could see the whole world simultaneously with a telescope from a mountaintop, if the air was clear enough. Also, weather systems would be completely different, and I guess everywhere would have the same climate unless other factors come into play (e.g. if the edges are cooled by the ice cliffs encircling the Earth or something).

If you consider Newtonian gravity, there would be a large ocean in the middle and people would be living on a very steep (hyperbolic?) hill around it, depending on the Earth's thickness. A gravity force that falls off more rapidly could be more comfortable, but then orbits wouldn't be closed. Unless you consider a gravitational force that increases linearly with distance, but then everything in the universe would be attached to everything else by virtual springs. I like this topic.
bosonicyouth

Postby Zamfir » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:26 am UTC

Anaphase wrote:Could you make a geocentric solar system, or a flat Earth, or Philolaus's solar system* or something even weirder? Could you have phlogiston-based combustion?

This is how Discworld started out. Terry Pratchett wrote a parody of Larry Niven's Ringworld, called Strata. Instead of a ringworld, it has a machnically-constructed discworld, complete with miniature black holes for gravity and electric gohsts and flying carpets.
Zamfir

Postby doogly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Oh look, there is an entire fictional science subforum. Get thee hence.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby WarDaft » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

It's definitely not the only possible universe. It might however, be hard to find another universe conductive to naturally forming intelligent life.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.
WarDaft

Postby BobTheElder » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:I wonder what a flat earth would look like. For one thing there would be no time zones, the sun would rise in all places at once. I guess there wouldn't be a horizon in the same way, so you could see the whole world simultaneously with a telescope from a mountaintop, if the air was clear enough. Also, weather systems would be completely different, and I guess everywhere would have the same climate unless other factors come into play (e.g. if the edges are cooled by the ice cliffs encircling the Earth or something).

Yeah (Terry Pratchett) just have the speed of light be something a bit slower than the speed of sound.... now you've got dawn / timezones / etc...
Rawr
BobTheElder

Postby quantropy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:48 am UTC

The trouble with classical physics is that it doesn't really work. My impression is that if you postulate atoms with forces between them then its very difficult to arrange things so that you can build stable structures out of them. If you avoid this by assuming matter is continuous then all of the energy gets dispersed into ever higher frequencies.

In the end it comes down to your view of the second law of thermodynamics. You could postulate a universe obeying the laws of Conway's game of Life, but those laws aren't reversible in time, and so the second law of thermodynamics doesn't apply.
The Opharmia challenge: build a tensegrity structure with multiple equilibrium points.
quantropy

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

I agree with Doogly that this thread should be moved to the Fictional subforum. Please.

quantropy wrote:The trouble with classical physics is that it doesn't really work. My impression is that if you postulate atoms with forces between them then its very difficult to arrange things so that you can build stable structures out of them. If you avoid this by assuming matter is continuous then all of the energy gets dispersed into ever higher frequencies.

Yep. It's difficult to see how you could achieve stable solid matter without QM.

quantropy wrote:In the end it comes down to your view of the second law of thermodynamics. You could postulate a universe obeying the laws of Conway's game of Life, but those laws aren't reversible in time, and so the second law of thermodynamics doesn't apply.

I like this idea, but I have a soft spot for Conway's Life. :)
PM 2Ring

Postby reuben364 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:It's definitely not the only possible universe. It might however, be hard to find another universe conductive to naturally forming intelligent life.

Varies greatly on your extrapolation of life and intelligence for these new beings. Try finding living, intelligent beings in cellular automata.
reuben364

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:19 am UTC

Oh, I didn't notice that someone has recently invented an alternate reality in this very forum. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=73910.

doogly wrote:Oh look, there is an entire fictional science subforum. Get thee hence.

Soooooorry
Dr. Diaphanous

Return to Fictional Science