[M] Doctor Who Mafia - Game over: Town wins

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

[M] Doctor Who Mafia - Game over: Town wins

Postby Vieto » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:00 am UTC

It was a cold day in January, snow covered the crater-ridden city of London, England, or at least a portion of it. A bomber briefly came into view, and bombed a spot which had a crater. An explosion occurred, but the crater was gone, and it was the next day. In the town square, a few torn individuals, some dressed accordingly to the weather, stood in the snow. Each one wore a mask, with a picture of the Doctor on it, and some held blue envelopes, of which some letters were from the Doctor. A shadow on a rooftop watched from above, although no-one seemed to notice, at least not for long. The crowd dispersed, as a new crowd of 10 began to form, with fresher masks - or were the masks the same?

From above the tardis materialized into the air, and crashed into Big Ben, knocking it into the Thames. elsewhere, chaos began to form random temporal portals into the stable time loop, and forms began to emerge from the instabilities. As they oriented themselves, a scream was heard from elsewhere in the city, followed by the sound of gallows...

Rules (please read)
Spoiler:
Rules:
- Do not read spoilers, even if you are dead. The spoilers start here, as a reference for when the game ends
- You may not edit posts, unless you may edit posts.
- 1 vote per day per entity. Use the forma: Vote: Vieto – Day x, where x is your current day.
- You must post once per game day
- Present days are 3 RL days long, or until lynch. No nights
- If you are in the past, you may play catch-up while the present moves normally.
- Past deadlines are 24 hours. The future has no deadline.
- Town wins if all anti-town roles are eliminated
- Anti-town factions win if they are guaranteed victory
- Do not deliberately go against your own faction, or there will be consequences. Alternate-reality-selves not included.
- Do not quote your role pm. Paraphrasing is fine.
- Do not read the contents of any letters.
- Roles will be revealed upon lynch, but only to the killer upon death.

Time travel rules
- All players start on day 1
- You may use time travel once per day. When your current deadline is reached, you may use time travel again
- Your past selves co-exist with your current self in the past.
- Paradoxes are possible; avoid them if you don’t want to take a risk.
- There are 5 days total, each with a max of 20 entities.

Alive Players
Spoiler:
2. Mavketl
3. Chandani
4. Angua
5. ForAllOfThis
8. Gopher of Pern
9. keeneal

Dead Players
Spoiler:
1. greenlover - D2; lynch. Sontauran, mafia recruiter
7. webby - D1; Lynch. Weeping Angel, SK
10. ConMan - D1; electrocution
6. weiyaoli - D4; Lynch; The Master, traitor/sk

Removed from time
Spoiler:
1. Dark Loink (sorry)

Replacements:
Spoiler:
1. Mpolo

Read your pm to confirm. Do not post until Day 1.

edit: Also, I'm accepting replacements, just in case. PM me if you want to be a replacement.
Last edited by Vieto on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 am UTC, edited 10 times in total.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Re: [M] Doctor Who Mafia - pregame

Postby Vieto » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Update: Just waiting on 1 person. If he doesn't read his pm by Friday night, I'll replace him.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

The Tardis spun around it’s trajectory as the Doctor attempted to manoeuvre through the timestorm in the Tardis. Behind him, the Mauve Alert sign had been activated, and he franticly turned nozzles and pulled levers in a maddening attempt to stabilize the craft. Without any companions with him, the Doctor was unable to have someone hold down the emergency stabilizer, and he had to continuously rewind the temporal gyroscopic swirly lever. Suddenly, the screen lit up, showing the Master’s face.

“Hello, Doctor.” Grinned the Master. Suddenly, Stephen Moffat walked into the room, noticed Vieto’s poor prose, and left in utter disgust. Unphased, Vieto continued typing.

The Doctor looked up at the screen. “I figured you would be behind this timestorm!”

The Master chuckled, before replying. “I’m honoured you would think so highly of me, Doctor, but I’m afraid I’m stuck in this same timestorm. No, I call you to issue my demands.”

“And what would those be?”

“Well, you see Doctor, I’ve been looking for…”

The communication was severed by static, as one of the control panels exploded in the Doctor’s face. Sensing that the Tardis could not survive the storm, bopped the Emergency Landing button, located conveniently on a toy-like remote next to him. The tardis emerged from the timestorm over London England, during the blitz. The Doctor attempted to grab the piloting controls, until he realised that the piloting controls were on the panel that had previously exploded. Fumbing for his Sonic Screwdriver, he took it out as an explosion rocked the Tardis, knocking the Sonic Screwdriver from his hands. Looking out, he watched Big Ben begin to collapse in his wake, and the Tardis began to descend fast towards London Bridge.

“No, don’t fail on me now! We can make this!” Shouted the doctor, as he looked around for the screwdriver. The Tardis impacted the bridge, and slid along it into a major support of the bridge, causing the bridge to collapse behind the Tardis. As sparks flew from the panels, the emergency escape beam was activated, sending the Doctor to a random part of London…

... several hours later, a group of 10 people met on London Square, each wearing a mask with a picture of the Doctor on it. Oddly enough, nobody recognised anyone, despite the fact that they were wearing their usual outfits otherwise (including the Dalek. Seriously, how do you not recognise a Dalek!?). Glancing at each other with suspicion, they eventually agree that, with the ominous threat of evil, to lynch one person each day, in hopes that they are the mafia.

Day 1. 6 people to Lynch. Deadline on Monday, 9pm, EST
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Re: [M] Doctor Who Mafia - Day 1: 'One' Struck the clock.

Postby Angua » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Ok, possible roles (from what I know of the new Doctor who off the top of my head).
Doctor
Master?? or is that the mod?
Companion - not sure who it would be, probably Amy and/or Rory
Dalek (in the flavour text)
cybermen (possible cult)
other companions - rose, martha, donna
sarah jane
the brigadier
K-9
Winston Churchill (was in the one when they were actually in the blitz, as well as the season finale)
That guy who turned out to be a dalek robot in the one with winston churchill
Hitler? (probably not)

Anyway, I'm off for dinner now - these were all without looking up added info on wikipedia/imdb, so I've probably missed quite a lot. I guess we could also have those children-mask hybrids which were in another one with the blitz (another possible cult).
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

ebwop - how could I forget River Song????

Quote:
Angua has not wrote this. This is Rose. I have a daily rolecop. I can force one player to edit one post once per day as long as I include the word Badwolf within the message. I can edit any of my own posts (unlimited) as long as I include the word badwolf within the new message. I can use this to confirm my role when I need to. If I find anything that indicates scum I will fully claim along with the findings (and prove it is me by editing past posts).

Todays cop result was JOHN SMITH. This is an alternative alias for The Doctor, so I will not include the player that was copped (but they know who they are). I'll list the roles that I find so we can build a list of characters found in the game.

- Rose
Last edited by Angua on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Mavketl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Angua wrote:Master?? or is that the mod?
I would think they are a player. If we assume that the Doctor is a pretty powerful townie, the Master is the perfect balancing tool as a powerful scumster (there are lots of baddies, but individual cybermen or daleks don't really have mad skillz, for example).

Furthermore, I know quite a lot about new-Who flavour, so hopefully it'll come in handy. No time for a thorough set-up analysis/guesswork right now, though. Then again, there are so many characters and we're just 10 players... it's kind of hard to guess who will and will not be in the game. I really hope to see Captain Jack Harkness, but I think his immortality thing might be a tad hard to balance. :P

Lastly, I'll be out of town for most of tomorrow and part of Sunday. I don't know if I'll have internet access. I'll have lots of time on Monday, though!
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!
Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby weiyaoli » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

Warning for rambling and stream of thought in this post:

Spoiler:
First of all, I am a miller.

I don't know, the brigadier seems more old who, does he appear in the new series? There were a few UNIT ones but I don't recall him being there. Although that seems possible, a UNIT mason group? (With Martha/Mickey/Brigadier?) Slightly tenuous I guess. Maybe Torchwood as more likely since Captain Jack leads it and Martha and Mickey I seem to recall join it for a while.

Shame this isn't a larger game though, lots of cool characters to go around in doctor who.

Amy and Rory could be lovers (although lovers hasn't been a very popular role lately, not since amy's last game so quite a while)? Also, Rory has got to be immortal or at least death is not permanent for him. :P Is it 7 or 8 and counting now?

The crack in time was a big part of the newer series, although from the flavour it does seem to suggest more of a rogue's gallery of villains as scum. With the multiple killers, I do wonder if perhaps all the villains are instead separate indy factions with kills?

This part of a rule is interesting:
Alternate-reality-selves not included.

Possibly left over from the larger game but I thought this was worth a quote. There was the older amy this series and there's brainwashed river. Also flesh!people and autons can masquerade as alternate versions I guess. Any more alternate reality/versions that I missed? (There isn't really any too different characters in Pete's world)

Looking at the blitz wise, there's captain jack and the gas mask zombies. I remember the family of blood or similar title with doctor fob watched as John Smith also flash backing to this time? Obviously Winston Churchill and dalek rangers in that episode too. Main character wise, maybe Captain Jack and possibly Winston Churchill is present. Although the time portals also suggests that it's probably not going to be limited to this one period of time but rather a wider range of characters. I guess the iconic villains in the newer series seem to be the cybermen and darleks and the master. The ood also appear frequently (possible independent which could be taken control of by the master/other telepathic evil being).

A darlek and the master seem to definitely be present according to the flavour. Also:
A shadow on a rooftop watched from above,

Which nobody notices for long could be the silence?

The edit rules are interesting. Some people can edit posts it seems to imply. Could be a red herring I guess.

I don't understand the lynch mechanic in this game with the time travel. Why do you get votes for every day, do people get lynched in the past too?

The doctor and river could have interesting mechanics between them (possible lovers?). Or I guess donna (as the doctor-donna?) Since time lords are telepathic they could possibly be able to daychat with people they choose? (in the form of sending messages?)

Cult seems unlikely for a ten player game. But I guess you never know, especially with the huge amount of monsters that could be cult (cybermen, gas mask zombies, those diseased people that wanted a hug etc...)

I'll cut off this post here. It's getting ridiculously long and rambling already which I apologise for but new who does have a lot of characters and possible mechanics in this game(even apart from the obvious time travel one).
And you thought I was crazy...
weiyaoli

Postby ForAllOfThis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

Dalek is confirmed in the flavour, along with the master and doctor. I really don't understand how time travel is going to work.

Mod: Can we all time travel? Can we travel backwards and forwards in time? Does time travel have to be made public, or private? How far can we time travel in one go? How do we know how many entities are in a day?
ForAllOfThis

Postby Vieto » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

ForAllOfThis wrote:Mod: Can we all time travel? Can we travel backwards and forwards in time? Does time travel have to be made public, or private? How far can we time travel in one go? How do we know how many entities are in a day?

Some roles can time-travel naturally. Yes. Time travel is private, although it's affects can be public. Time travel can occur to any of the 5 days. You will be aware if an entity is in a different day or not
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Well, i'm playing this pretty flavour blind. I recognise all the characters you guys are mentioning, but I wouldn't know much aside from the basics.

So, looking at this from a game-play perspective:

10 players, so maybe 3 mafia? Though, with the time-travelling, people might not stay dead, so it could be somewhat different.

What happens when we time travel to day 5, and the day ends? Do we move on to a day 6? We do all move ahead by 1 day at a time, right?

Assume that I time travel to day 3 now, and then someone gets lynched on day 1. Can I then travel back to day 1, cast a vote, and change the lynch? (assume that 1 vote would make the difference.)

The one vote per day per entity, is this implying that we can't vote change? Or is it just to prevent double votes by voting now, and coming back in time to vote again?

Interesting that killed players only reveal their roles to the killer, only lynched roles get revealed to everyone.

We also have a miller claim very early. Interesting.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby Vieto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:What happens when we time travel to day 5, and the day ends? Do we move on to a day 6? We do all move ahead by 1 day at a time, right?

Assume that I time travel to day 3 now, and then someone gets lynched on day 1. Can I then travel back to day 1, cast a vote, and change the lynch? (assume that 1 vote would make the difference.)

The one vote per day per entity, is this implying that we can't vote change? Or is it just to prevent double votes by voting now, and coming back in time to vote again?

1) assuming day 5 is in the future, you will not advance in time. If day 5 is in the past, you will advance to the next day (day 1) in 24 hours maximum.
2) Yes, assuming you have a mechanism of time travel.
3) You can't change votes, but you can both vote for Bob and Bob_2 with both your past self and your present self visiting the past.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 am UTC

So, the days aren't necessarily sequential? I thought once day 1 ends, it becomes day 2, one day in the future? or are the different days each in different time periods?

So, no changing votes, but could I vote bob now, then come back at a later time and vote bob again?

Wow, this is getting confusing really fast!

BTW, weiyaoli, what do you mean from this:
weiyaoli wrote:A darlek and the master seem to definitely be present according to the flavour. Also:

So, I don't know anything about The Master, but I would presume that the Dalek would have a kill. What other anti-town roles could there be? cybermen?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby Chandani » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 am UTC

So... I actually have flavour knowledge! Hooray!

Gopher of Pern wrote:BTW, weiyaoli, what do you mean from this:
weiyaoli wrote:A darlek and the master seem to definitely be present according to the flavour. Also:

Are you wondering what the Silence is? The Silence are aliens that people see and then forget unless they have a special eyepatch (which the Silence can control). I think weiyaoli came up with that idea since it wasn't noticed for a long period of time, which happens with the Silence after you look away...

Anti-town roles... It could really depend. Cyberman could work, though they're more culty, and that would be interesting with 10 players. River could be anti-town depending on how old she is and if she's being compelled by the Silence and stuff like that. The Master is most likely anti-town, from what I remember (though I think there are more positive interpretations of him...maybe). The gas-mask people could be anti-town as well, though again, they're culty. The Family was anti-town too, if I remember correctly, or at least, anti-Doctor.

Someone brought up Donna. If Donna was here, it would be interesting. Most likely it would be after Doctor-Donna, where she forgot everything, so if she remembered, she would die, most likely (unless the Doctor had two fail-safes in her mind to protect her). So Donna would have to avoid learning about the Doctor. Wonderful.

Another random character was the time-travelling robot which can change shape. Which would most likely be pro-town independent/lyncher for River Song (if River Song is in the game)/maybe town with this season's finale, though I'm not sure about that.

The only time Doctor Who characters/villains worked together was with Pandorica... so maybe we just have SK-like roles? Unless they decided to band together again in-game. Other than the Daleks. The Daleks don't like other people. If there's only one Dalek, it's definitely a SK.

I guess it all depends on which Doctor is here... if the Master recognized him, it would be the 10th, maybe 9th, though who knows how close the mod stayed to continuity. Though the blue envelopes are very much 11th Doctor. It would be cool if there were multiple Doctors floating around... but the Doctors wouldn't know about it. Well, the older Doctors wouldn't but the newer one would. :P But I doubt it with the size of the game.
Chandani

Postby keeneal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 am UTC

That last point is an interesting one. I wonder if, when the Doctor or the Master dies, if he regenerates. That'd be kinda cool.

Rolespec!
Spoiler:
Since the Master was about to issue demands, it makes sense to me that he'd have a non-standard win condition - I could easily see him as an Assassin or something similar.

I wonder if the Doctor will get a vote, since he's generally only okay with killing Daleks. I'm going to guess that he's got a pretty powerful night cop or maybe just a simple doctor role. Alternatively, I could see him having some addtional Time-based powers. I'm guessing that he can't travel in the current timeline because his TARDIS is broken (same for the Master?) but maybe he has something to do with paradoxes?

I'm going to disagree with whomever said that Amy/Rory would be a lover pair - I see that much more likely being the Doctor and River, if the role exists at all (I could also see her maybe being a martyr). I don't know what role I'd give to the companions. If we believe the Miller claim (and I'm not sure I do, since there wasn't a character-claim attached), then I could see the companions being masons or something similar.

I think it's interesting that the flavor doesn't name a villain. I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple anti-town factions (Master, Dalek, Silence, Cybermen, probably), but I doubt many of them would have more than one player on a side. My guess is one of (Master/a Dalek) as a survivor and either [Silence (maybe immune to a cop?) or a rouge Cyberman (as a cult converter)].

People Who Might have Time Travel

Spoiler:
Daleks (emergency temporal shifts=canon support, but I doubt it. Maybe just their leader if they act as a standard Mafia)
Jack Harkness (very likely)
River Song (very likely)
Doctor (not likely)
Master (not likely)
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene
keeneal

Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby webby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:09 am UTC

I have some flavour knowledge for once! Not really sure how to use it yet though. :P

10 players, so likely 7-3, 6-3-1 or 6-2-1-1 (town-scum-independents). As we found out in Mulan, there's always room for independents and I can think of plenty of doctor who enemies who wouldn't likely be allied with a faction, but could be in the game. And of course there's always justifications for lynchers, jesters and survivors.

I suspect there's going to be a lot of weird game mechanics and stuff to get my head around, so I'll have more of a think about it when I have more time. Everything seems pretty normal from people so far.
webby

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Ok - I found a pm in my inbox from the mod this morning telling me to edit a specific post (my second one) - so everyone go up and read it. It seems to mean that we have a Rose in our midst, from the brief period when she became one with the tardis (obviously there is always the possibility that they are lying, but it seems pretty elaborate to me).

Adding to this:
Chandani wrote:I think weiyaoli came up with that idea since it wasn't noticed for a long period of time, which happens with the Silence after you look away...
Don't forget - the Silence was first presented to us as a shadow on the ridge of a lake, that only Amy noticed and then she looked away, and didn't know what she'd seen when she was asked what she was looking at.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby ForAllOfThis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 am UTC

We should be cautious about the edit. Although rose seems like a very ballsy claim if scum trying to get our trust, it could be trying to bait a claim. Or, they've been given false characters to claim so there is no fear of a counter-claim. Given the specific scum roles / town roles, I think it's almost a given that scum will have been given safe counter-claims.

With regards to my role spec, I only started watching at the time Matt Smith became the doctor.
ForAllOfThis

Postby weiyaoli » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
BTW, weiyaoli, what do you mean from this:

Basically what Chandani said. A shadow that nobody notices, at least not for long seems to suggest to me the Silence.

The Angels would be cool too, especially if they could send people back in time as well although they killed people in the second episode in others ways too (snapping someone's neck) I don't think it would work out particularly well.

What's also interesting is that how early on we had the rolecop before many people had even posted once.
weiyaoli

Postby keeneal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

I'm interested by this Rose claim, but have to peace out for a bit - I'll post something when I get back. In the meantime,

Will we always be notified when a post has been edited, or are we expected to go back and check each post regularly?

Will we be notified when characters are in different days?
keeneal

Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby Vieto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

keeneal wrote:Will we always be notified when a post has been edited, or are we expected to go back and check each post regularly?

Will we be notified when characters are in different days?

1) I will not notify you about edits.

2) You will be aware if a character is in the past.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:So, the days aren't necessarily sequential? I thought once day 1 ends, it becomes day 2, one day in the future? or are the different days each in different time periods?

So, no changing votes, but could I vote bob now, then come back at a later time and vote bob again?

Just reposting the questions, since they seemed to have been missed.

So we have an edit! Rose being one of the companions, right? I don't know alot of Doctor Who, but wouldn't town consist mostly of The Doctor and his companions? Are there any other pro-doctor roles out there?

keeneal; You do know there is no night, right?

Aside: If someone were to start watching Doctor Who, would the 2005 series be the best place to start?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby ForAllOfThis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:Aside: If someone were to start watching Doctor Who, would the 2005 series be the best place to start?

I was able to pick it up relatively easy from the last two seasons (Matt Smith) and would recommend picking it up from there if your limited on time. They have had generally positive feedback as well.
ForAllOfThis

Postby Chandani » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:So we have an edit! Rose being one of the companions, right? I don't know alot of Doctor Who, but wouldn't town consist mostly of The Doctor and his companions? Are there any other pro-doctor roles out there?

Rose is another special companion. I wasn't as dedicated to Doctor Who then, but from what I've heard and seen, Rose absorbed the heart of the TARDIS and then was sent to an altenate universe (with some time in between) because of something (which relates to Bad Wolf). Then she comes back when the Daleks kidnap Earth to help save it, and hooks up with the human-Time Lord Doctor (hey! Possible role! Except it wouldn't be that much different from the normal Doctor...)

Town would be most likely people who would side with the Doctor. So you got Companions, former companions, River Song, Torchwood, maybe UNIT, and other people who just are there when the Doctor appears (they aren't against the Doctor, so thus town? Craig would be a good example of this...)

If you want to see the shows in order for fun, start with the 2005 series. I don't have any recommendations if you want to see the shows for maximum mafia learning. Then you might as well pick key episodes.
If you want to see it for fun but don't care about order... I can't help you there. I'm a stickler for order when it comes to books and TV shows. Most of the time, at least.
Chandani

Postby keeneal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

...good point. I don't know why I called it a night-cop. Strike that.

I'm not sure what to think about the Rose-claim. I'm not too worried aboutit right now, because it isn't attached to a player right now, so it wouldn't be too useful in terms of a lynch. What might be more useful is a discussion of if we should trust her messages or not. It seems reasonably likely to me that if the villainous factions are more survivor or assassination oriented that they'd have a built-in falseclaim. At the same time, the bit about having to include "badwolf" in the messages fits in perfectly with canon!Rose (assuming, of course, that the requirement is real and not something that the message-sender is imposing on him/herself to appear legitimate).

I'm not quite sure which characters would makes sense with a miller claim - can anyone help me out with that? I don't recall there being any spy-types, with the possible exception of Cpt. Jack.

Re:aside
Spoiler:
Tennant is considered by many (if not most) people to be the best of the new Doctors - starting with him isn't a bad call. However, if you're looking to catch up on flavor and willing to skip around a bit, all of the major villains besides the Master have appeared in Matt Smith's tenure, which has a significantly smaller backlog. If you start with Tennant, you'll get to know all of the Companions who are likely to show up except for Amy and Rory, who show up starting with Matt Smith. Netflix has most of the new series streaming, but if you'd like a link to some questionably-legal channels, send me a PM or something.

ninja: that's a pretty good summary of Rose. She and the Doctor fall in love. At one point, there exists a second Doctor, who is part human. He and Rose go off to live together in an alternate universe. We don't see much more of her after that. She's also the only companion who sees the Doctor in two different regenerations.
keeneal

Postby Chandani » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

Miller possibilities:
River Song (River Song is going to pop up a lot, I guess...)
Maybe that Sontarin nurse guy during A Good Man Goes to War?
Reformed characters?
Sexy the TARDIS (now that would be interesting. If the TARDIS is broken, she needs to go somewhere...)?

I can't think of anyone major, other than River Song, who I'm only saying because she 'kills' the Doctor plus Silence brainwashing. Sexy I put down since the body might be considered anti-town or something...
Jack doesn't work in the future since he becomes reformed. The past Jack (like during the London Blitz) is a possibility, considering his history as a Time Agent.

Damn, this game would have been awesome with 21 people. SO MANY CHARACTERS TO CHOOSE.

@Rose claim: I don't know how likely it is for someone to false-claim Rose. She's a decently major character, but at the same time, if it was given by the mods (which apparently happens) that's something that people would think. Bad Wolf would help legitimize the claim, but that's something which is very much linked to Rose, so if that wasn't put in a false-claim by the mods (not sure how much info goes into them) it would be something that other people could think up easily. So I'm not going to put too much faith into it right now.
Chandani

Postby keeneal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

I've never seen a game where the scum were supplied false-claims or one with time travel. Could someone suggest a good example for either for research purposes?
keeneal

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Yes, I too have never been in a game where scum has been supplied false-claims.

I guess the question is if scum are united, or are a bunch of independents. My default assumption would be a rogues gallery of scum, with maybe 1 or 2 indies, but everyone else seems to be going with mutliple indies.

aside:
I don't think I'll have much time to watch much Who in the next few weeks, I was thinking more longer term, so I'll probably start with the 2005 season. Thanks for the info!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 am UTC

I've never been in a game with supplied false-claims either - FaoT - do you think you could link us with one that has?

As for the Rose claim - I don't know whether to believe it or not, but I agree (though it hadn't clicked until someone else mentioned) that using your day-cop so early in the day before barely anyone had posted is quite odd. And they managed to hit Doctor as well, so wow (if it is true). We'll probably be able to figure out who she is eventually, depending on how often post editing occurs.

What does everyone think about the group that the 'silent' (what do you call one of those things by itself?) is watching that breaks up, then reforms (possibly with fresher masks, or the same ones). I have no clue what to think about that - it could be an allusion to alternative-selves, or people having time traveled, or something completely different.

As for GoP wondering about how the mafia could be set up - I don't really know what to think. As mentioned before, in the pandorica opens, lots of badguys work together to get rid of the doctor, so there is precedent for that (maybe in this case, the band of people is brought together by the Silence, who is the latest group trying to kill the doctor) - here I guess it would be something like silent, master, dalek). It could also be a cult, plus two independents (eg cybermen, master, dalek) with lots of town powers to balance it out. The time travel mechanic - with voting in the past thus making it possible to change the outcome of a lynch - is going to make the balance of the game hard to estimate - the side that is best at time travelling will have the upper hand, because there is the possibility of undoing the lynch.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby ConMan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Whew! That's a lot of flavour and role spec ... and from the looks of it, I need to catch up on the latest season or I'm going to hit some spoilers here :S (I've made it up to The Girl Who Waited, give me some time guys!)

For what it's worth, here's some Doctor and Master spec:
Spoiler:
The flavour spec definitely seems to suggest that The Doctor and The Master are in the game, and it's probably the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) - or just an unidentified regeneration who happens to be surrounded by 11th's flavour - and an unknown Master. When I think of The Master, I think of three main personalities - in original Who, he was Machiavellian in his schemes, and used mind control to influence a small number of people who would play critical roles in his schemes: could he manipulate votes? maybe have some kind of copping ability to know what's happening everywhere?; in the telemovie that many people believe is best left forgotten, he was an essence that took over a single body - some kind of alt account trick, or chooses a player to control the actions of?; and in new Who, he had a few incarnations and had so many different abilities, some of which occurred only after he allegedly died, so it's hard to know what his mafia role would be - the Howard Saxon stuff could be a bit cult-like, but as others have pointed out just about every Who villain who's likely to be in here could be given a cult role which seems rather unbalanced. While the Master did reincarnate a couple of times in the old series, he hasn't since (first because he had none left, and then because he was being mean), so I suspect that death-based effects might be present but plain old unkillability probably isn't his forte.

The Doctor is always incredibly resourceful, so I could imagine him having an Inventor role, if he isn't actually a Doctor. He tends to be able to work out 100 facts once he's got the basic shape of it, so that could translate into a cop. Funnily enough, I can't think of as many interesting things for him as for the Master. However, unlike the Master the Doctor is, I think, almost guaranteed to regenerate unless the villains have one of the 1,001 things that can apparently kill him outright.

There is definitely a lot to consider, especially the message from Rose, but I should have been asleep several hours ago. I will come back to this when I'm more awake.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby greenlover » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Just dropping in to say that I have no idea about flavor spec (never watched Dr. Who, sorry.).

The time travel mechanic seems interesting. I'm guessing it's primarily a voting mechanic? Though I can see justifications for it to be a way to use a power twice.

I'm inclined to trust the Rose edit, though I guess it could be a pretty bold claim by scum (there is nothing inherently townish about being able to edit posts, after all.). Having a rolecop that can be claimed publicly without any fear to the cop would certainly help balance out this game, if webby's alignment splits are correct.
greenlover

Postby ForAllOfThis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

In portal mafia town were almost all sent the same role PM (apart from the companion cube), and scum was sent a copy of the same PM so they could safely false claim (viewtopic.php?f=53&t=72030). Really they are more used in open setups like HUAC (viewtopic.php?f=53&t=67610). I haven't played a game where specific false claims / characters have been provided either, I just know it's a possible mechanic.

I'm a little confused at where this miller discussion has cropped up. Most millers claim straight away, and I haven't seen anyone claiming miller?
ForAllOfThis

Postby Chandani » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Miller claim: It was in a spoiler... weiyaoli's first post.
weiyaoli wrote:Warning for rambling and stream of thought in this post:

Spoiler:
First of all, I am a miller...

Chandani

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

weiyaoli wrote:Warning for rambling and stream of thought in this post:

Spoiler:
First of all, I am a miller.
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=2804292#p2804292

It was inside his rolespec spoiler, but it was the very first thing inside the tag. I'm inclined to believe the claim at least enough to not do anything with it, for the moment, although I'd feel better if there had been a character claim attached to it as well. At the same time, the flavor is very much open to things like SKs and personalized win conditions so maybe letting that sit for now is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure today is the last RL-day for D1, so we should probably move off of rolespec and onto some scum-discussion. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to me to be a whole lot to go on, even with all this spec going on - nothing jumped out at me while I was in the middle of it, anyway. I'll try to do a re-read later today. The neat thing with the time-travel mechanic is that if we wind up NLing today, then there could still be a vote later. The difficulty with that, though, is that the scum can do the same thing (assuming they have time travel powers?).

At what time does D1 end?
How, exactly, does time travel into the past work with regards to voting and lynching? In what order are time-traveled votes counted?

d'oh! ninja'd!
keeneal

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

keeneal wrote:At what time does D1 end?
How, exactly, does time travel into the past work with regards to voting and lynching? In what order are time-traveled votes counted?

Vieto wrote:Day 1. 6 people to Lynch. Deadline on Monday, 9pm, EST

Also, time-travel actions take precident over actions that actually took place.
-----

Conman was walking about, minding his own business, when suddenly an electric shock came from behind him. Clutching his back, he falls to the ground and dies.

Conman has been killed. 9 players alive, 1 dead. 5 to lynch.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

An electric shock? That could be literally any of the normal Bad Guys - Cybermen stun people, Daleks use their EXTERMINATE! ray, the Master had that whole zap-people-with-his-life-force thing going on in the last special. That's completely unhelpful.
keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

EBWOP:

Time to do a little claiming - I have a one-shot Death Cop. Conman was the Master. We should probably make sure he stays dead. Either a Baddie took a really terrible shot or someone's got some good stuff going on. Are there any Good Guys who'd likely have an electric shock?
keeneal

Postby weiyaoli » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

There really isn't anything player wise going on that is worth commenting on which worries me a little with the day rapidly drawing to a close and the scum (since everyone has been pretty much on rolespec at this point in time).

I think I trust keeneal's result though; he's been pretty active and helpful at this point.

Regarding good guys with shock, I guess there's the option of someone having a shock gun that kills? That would rule out the doctor, but could include any amount of good guys from Captain Jack to River Song. I can't recall any signature kills that would involve a electric shock from a good guy.

It's probably more likely a scum kill but in that case Conman is a pretty strange choice considering that he had only one post with spec about the doctor and the master. (Maybe they thought he was the doctor/master?) If that is the case though, it does support the theory that they are separate factions since I'm not sure conman would have been killed in that case, unless someone comes forward to a reflecting power or something.
weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

EBWOP:
The first line should read:

"and the scum looks like they have kills already"
weiyaoli

Postby Chandani » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

The first thing I thought of when I read that kill was the Silence. Since they liked to shoot electric shocks and no one can see them coming.
I don't think there's any good people who have a signature electric kill.
Chandani

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Well, if keeneal is telling the truth, that would mean there are SK roles out there. I am assuming if there is a regular mafia, the Master would be in it?

Frankly, I thought of Daleks with the shock, but I haven't seen the show.

Time for me to claim: I have a one-shot role-cop. I used it on Webby. They are a Weeping Angel. Now, looking up these guys, I do not see how they could be town, so I'm gonna vote for Webby, but I will unvote if other people think that weeping angels could be town.

Vote: Webby

Note that this game doesn't have nights, so all kills are going to come in during the day. Would the Master have any regenerating powers?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy
Gopher of Pern

Next

Return to Mafia