[M] Doctor Who Mafia - Game over: Town wins

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ForAllOfThis

Re: [M] Doctor Who Mafia - Day 1: 'One' Struck the clock.

Postby ForAllOfThis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

Chandani wrote:The first thing I thought of when I read that kill was the Silence. Since they liked to shoot electric shocks and no one can see them coming.
I don't think there's any good people who have a signature electric kill.

Yea the silence come to mind for me as well. One thing I have noticed is a lot of day powers. Rose has claimed a daily rolecop, we've just seen a daykill. Speaking of which conman is an odd choice if it was scum who submitted the kill. At least suggests a relative lack of meta knowledge when there are much more experienced players like Mav, GL, Wei in the game. Although given the wine surrounding meta, I wouldn't use it as evidence for a lynch but it is something to think about.

With regards to the miller claim, I would suggest treating it like any other it is neither an indiciation or not of scumminess but is the same as saying if I am copped I will turn up scum.

@Wei, would a rolecop turn up a scum result, or just an alignment cop?

I ask because we could ask rose to check tomorrow. Of course, it would be a waste of a cop if that will also turn up looking scummy, but it would clear up the wine if he is River (or any other good person, who looks bad).

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

If he does, we can just kill him again.

I'll trust the cop-result. If it's not true, we'll know tomorrow and can then lynch MoP, right?

Vote: Webby

IDK about the Master and regeneration... have to wait and see? We can always just kill him again.

ninja! FAOT: that requires that we trust Rose. While no on explicitly distrusts her at the moment, I think we're still kinda wary of her claim. I'm with you on the miller claim, though.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

My role-cop just came up with the name Weeping Angel. I don't have a alignment cop.

The miller claim should just be ignored. It's just a sign that says: If you alignment cop me, I will be anti-town. So you dont alignment cop them.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

GoP.... why didn't you rolecop weiyaoli, considering they claimed miller? It would be a good way to figure out how truthful that was.
(Not that I think webby would be town if they are a Weeping Angel... I'm not sure on why you picked webby over weiyaoli.)
It makes sense that there are lots of day powers since this is a nightless game. So all the powers would be during the day.

Also:
keeneal wrote:I'll trust the cop-result. If it's not true, we'll know tomorrow and can then lynch MoP, right?
GoP's a mop! :P

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

Because I tend to trust miller claims, especially that early in the game. What reason would scum have to do it? I thought it was more likely that Weiy was town, whereas Webby (and everyone else) was 50/50.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

I agree with GoP. Also wei might be a miller in the sense that his role would indicate scum as well (which seems likely as we have two role-cops being fired off, and no alignment cops claimed).

We should probably lynch webby before he gets a chance to use an ability or any one-shots (and you completely ninjaed my post GoP and I didn't see it, which is why I didn't follow up with a vote straight away).

webby

Postby webby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

:( Why, GoP! :P

Yes, I'm a weeping angel. I'm not scum, basically I want Amy dead - I guess there's some flavour justification from these episodes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_of_Angels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_and_Stone

I can send people back in time, but have no way of killing them.

To normal cops I turn up as Amelia Pond, which gives some justification to those who were talking about being given false claims.

I'm willing to help town and scumhunt and stuff if you don't lynch me. I could even be useful with my ability to send people back to day 1 and I'm willing to use that as directed.

webby

Postby webby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Oh and FOAT, given it's day 1, I don't have any abilities, so you don't need to worry. Hold back on the lynching, because if I was going to use an ability, I would have done it now.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

Votals:
Webby: GoP, Keeneal, FaoT

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

ForAllOfThis wrote:@Wei, would a rolecop turn up a scum result, or just an alignment cop?

I ask because we could ask rose to check tomorrow. Of course, it would be a waste of a cop if that will also turn up looking scummy, but it would clear up the wine if he is River (or any other good person, who looks bad).

I didn't actually know so I asked for clarification:

A rolecop will turn up a scummy result but it will also back up my claim if I need to do that at any point. Alignment cop will turn up anti-town.

Vote:webby

Not buying it. Also to normal cops you turn up as Amy Pond seems made up as well. (Normal cops show town/scum, you were copped with a rolecop that shows your role which according to your claim would reveal Amy)
And you thought I was crazy...

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

Votals:
Webby: GoP, Keeneal, FaoT, Weiyoli
5 to lynch

webby

Postby webby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

weiyaoli wrote:
ForAllOfThis wrote:@Wei, would a rolecop turn up a scum result, or just an alignment cop?

I didn't actually know so I asked for clarification:

A rolecop will turn up a scummy result but it will also back up my claim if I need to do that at any point. Alignment cop will turn up anti-town.

Vote:webby

Not buying it. Also to normal cops you turn up as Amy Pond seems made up as well. (Normal cops show town/scum, you were copped with a rolecop that shows your role which according to your claim would reveal Amy)

I used the word 'normal' because I didn't want to quote my role PM, but it seems that GoP isn't a 'normal' cop. We've only had rolecops so far in this game anyway. And now I'm at L-1 and Amy can hammer (if she's not on the lynch already).

What's the harm in not lynching me and if it turns out my claim is false, someone just goes back to day 1 and lynches me then?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

I'm slightly confused - it seems sort of odd that the weeping angel would only be after amelia pond, as they've turned up in a bunch of other episodes (though I guess if vieto really likes Amy, he'd give something for her). However, I am wary of lynching someone so quickly - this all has literally just happened in a few hours, so it almost seems a bit unfair to not let everyone get at least some thoughts out before hammering. We have just over 24 hours, so I'm going to err on waiting for now, as I'll definitely be online tomorrow, and it's time for me to go to bed now.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

ebwop (this is what happens when I post when I'm tired) - both Daleks and Silence zap people (though I guess when the daleks do it, it's more like a death-ray of high energy gamma or something, so my bet is on the Silence over the daleks).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

webby

Postby webby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I'm slightly confused - it seems sort of odd that the weeping angel would only be after amelia pond, as they've turned up in a bunch of other episodes (though I guess if vieto really likes Amy, he'd give something for her). However, I am wary of lynching someone so quickly - this all has literally just happened in a few hours, so it almost seems a bit unfair to not let everyone get at least some thoughts out before hammering. We have just over 24 hours, so I'm going to err on waiting for now, as I'll definitely be online tomorrow, and it's time for me to go to bed now.

I agree it doesn't make complete flavour-sense, but I assume the mod put it in the game because it fits well with the game mechanics and also because that episode was the one where the weeping angels were erased completely from time. I guess also Amy was the one affected the most by them - I have a way of killing her (and only her) based on the episode. Unfortunately I can't claim that or I'll never be able to win anyway, but that fits very well with the flavour.

Finally, it doesn't really make sense for me to be part of a scum team - who would be my allies?

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

If you look an Angel in the eyes, you become an Angel. You could very easily be a cult recruiter... as one example.

webby

Postby webby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Well if you're not going to believe me and you're going to lynch me, at least put someone else up to a few votes in case you realise later in the game I'm telling the truth. That way, if the other person you choose happens to be scum, you can change the day 1 lynch by time travel. (I think that's how it works?)

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

That plan makes sense, except for the part where the scum could then time-travel and change it to save you. For completeness' sake:

Assume player A is lynched, player B is at L-1, and Player C voted for Player A. If Player A goes back in time and votes for Player B, will Player B retroactively die and Player A come back to life?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

keeneal wrote:Assume player A is lynched, player B is at L-1, and Player C voted for Player A. If Player A goes back in time and votes for Player B, will Player B retroactively die and Player A come back to life?

Only if player A was alive due to a stable time loop, or a paradox was catching up to player A. Otherwise, player A would be dead and would not be able to vote for player B from beyond the grave. Now, if you are refering to player C going back in time and voting for player A, then yes.

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

my bad. yes, that is what I mean. Good to know that paradoxes exist, though.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 am UTC

Sorry Webby! It was because you didn't wave to me on Friday!

(I saw a 4WD down in Melbourne with the numberplate WEBBY. I waved, but the occupant didn't wave back. I assumed it was you :P)

I'm inclined to not believe Webby. It seems reasonable, until he mentions that I'm not a normal cop. AFAIK, my ability is a normal role-cop, albeit one-shot.

The problem is Webby, time is running out, and no-one else is even remotely scummy at the moment. Though I am surprised no-one has timetravelled yet.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:47 am UTC

Really? the only person with an incentive to travel is Webby. It seems to me that time travel is good for two things: escaping a lynch and going back in time to change who died. I mean, what good would being a day or two ahead of everyone else be at this point?

webby

Postby webby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:22 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:Sorry Webby! It was because you didn't wave to me on Friday!

(I saw a 4WD down in Melbourne with the numberplate WEBBY. I waved, but the occupant didn't wave back. I assumed it was you :P)

I'm inclined to not believe Webby. It seems reasonable, until he mentions that I'm not a normal cop. AFAIK, my ability is a normal role-cop, albeit one-shot.

The problem is Webby, time is running out, and no-one else is even remotely scummy at the moment. Though I am surprised no-one has timetravelled yet.

Haha unfortunately that's not me. I live in Sydney. :P

That's weird, I was explicity told that in my role PM (it didn't use the word 'normal', but it implied that most cops would see me as Amelia Pond).

Yeah, I understand that, but can you at least leave open the option of time travel if you change your mind after my role is revealed? I haven't really found anything scummy yet. I think GoP is probably town. FAOT also probably town.

I'm going to vote for greenlover, just based on a hunch about the timing of the kill of conman.

Vote: greenlover

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

I think we should lynch webby today. I think his win condition claim might be true (kill Amy), but he could very well be lying about his abilities. There are plenty of abilities that he could have but not want to use right now. For example, he could have a one-shot kill that he (clearly) would want to save until he knows who Amy is. Similarly, I don't fully grasp how the time-travel thing works, but why would we want to cooperate with giving someone with clear anti-town goals (killing Amy) to influence events any further? And that's not even mentioning the option that he's lying, which is pretty much the only option open to you when you get copped as a Weeping Angel.

We seem to have a lot of cops, so I think we should be careful with following their results blindly. There has to be a balancing mechanic at work somewhere, be it godfather-like roles or naive/paranoid/insane cops. If you are a cop, please consider if any of these would fit your role particularly well.
(Clearly this is not aimed at GoP's cop result, since the target has confirmed their role :P )
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

webby

Postby webby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:I think we should lynch webby today. I think his win condition claim might be true (kill Amy), but he could very well be lying about his abilities. There are plenty of abilities that he could have but not want to use right now. For example, he could have a one-shot kill that he (clearly) would want to save until he knows who Amy is. Similarly, I don't fully grasp how the time-travel thing works, but why would we want to cooperate with giving someone with clear anti-town goals (killing Amy) to influence events any further? And that's not even mentioning the option that he's lying, which is pretty much the only option open to you when you get copped as a Weeping Angel.

We seem to have a lot of cops, so I think we should be careful with following their results blindly. There has to be a balancing mechanic at work somewhere, be it godfather-like roles or naive/paranoid/insane cops. If you are a cop, please consider if any of these would fit your role particularly well.
(Clearly this is not aimed at GoP's cop result, since the target has confirmed their role :P )

Pretty sure if I had a one-shot kill or any other ability than the one I claimed I would have used it by now - random shot would be better than nothing. :P I have no reason to hurt town (apart from Amy) and it should be pretty clear from my role that I'm not part of a faction. I understand if you're going to lynch me, but at least give yourselves the option of undoing it later, because lynching scum is better than lynching me. I'll vote for whoever you tell me to.

In regards to sanity, I was told that a naive cop would see me as Amy.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

No offence, Webby, but I don't buy the 'if I had a kill I would have used it by now as a kill is better than no kill defence'. Especially as if you're Indy you presumably only get a win if Amy dies, and at the moment you are trying your best to convince us that you're harmless. I'd rather wait to hammer you to let greenlover (no posts after the claim so far) and chandani (not much content, just clarifications I thought) chime in a bit more, but I am worried about you getting desperate and going for someone.

Also, Amy is a pretty powerful character in the Who-verse, so I don't want you to have the chance at getting rid of her. I don't want us to have to waste a timetravel just to come back and lynch you, and as the majority of us have agreed that it is probably best to lynch you now, I'm going to not give you a chance to go for a random shot at Amy.

GNU Terry Pratchett

keeneal

Postby keeneal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Re: Cop-sanity. There's a chance that I'm paranoid. When I spawned, I got a letter from the Master. I can't tell you what it said, but I know that it would have made my character very, very angry. When I went back to re-read the cop result, it hinted at the fact that I might not know the Master if I saw him. In the context of possible insane cops... yeah. :\

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Despite Webby’s protests, an angry mob formed around him and tied him to a bright beacon, before running away. Looking up, Webby watched as a bomber flew overhead and dropped a massive bomb directly above him, and then shattering him to pieces. Stone pieces. As the sun set, the sun began to rise on the other side of London, beginning day 2. With the rising sun, ferns and trees began to grow rapidly from the buildings, and dinosaurs were spotted in the horizon. Everyone rushed indoors to escape the T-rex that could be spotted in the distance.

Webby was lynched. He was a Weeping Angel, SK.

Day 2. 8 players alive, 5 required for lynch. Deadline is Thursday, 9pm EST

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Re: [M] Doctor Who Mafia - Day 2: Weeping Raptors

Postby Mavketl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Okay, I guess this means nightless - fun. :) Was that in the OP? I didn't see it.

Also, when we saw dinosaur-like creatures in Who, it was because time was cracking due to a paradox
Spoiler:
Rose's father didn't die

so something might be going on with one of the dead guys?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

Err, it was in the sign-ups. (Nightless, that is), but If it isn't in OP, then I'll fix that.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Yes, it is nightless, which was mentioned in the OP, and several times in the thread.

Now that Webby is lynched, I have a big FOS against FAOT and keeneal. Both of them voted very quickly on Webby, when I could have been lying. Remember that you cannot change your vote in this game, so they would have been unable to unvote if Webby had contested my claim, and thought to lynch me. It's also interesting that keeneal got a letter from the master. I got one from the Doctor, so I assumed town would have all got one from the Doctor.

So, now I'm assuming we're in the past? What with the dinosaurs and all.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

I have an ability cop, which I used to cop greenlover today. He has a daily supporter recruit. Sounds cult like.

FoS: greenlover

Mind explaining?
And you thought I was crazy...

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

Sorry mod, that wasn't meant like a "you suck", more like a "I need to pay more attention to how this game works".

Also, nice copping we've got going on. Anxiously awaiting greenlover's explanations.

I also received a letter from the Doctor, but I don't think it's going to be that easy to discern alignments. Also if they were scum, why would they advertise getting a letter from the Master? Odd.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

Looking around, someone notices a large cabinet in the middle of the room.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

What colour is it?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

ebwop: I'm too tired for a longer post tonight. Also, I've never played a game with items, so I'm not sure what to do.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

Angua wrote:What colour is it?

It is a Blue Cabinet. It also has the word "police" written on it. It has expert craftsmanship.

Also, ForAllOfThis has been forced into the cabinet, and locked in there. He is roleblocked and loses his vote. Also, peeking into the cabinet, he appears to be a mafia supporter.
Last edited by Vieto on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:44 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

Also, you are aloud to unvote votes made in the present.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

Okay, this appears to be entirely too easy, which is making me uneasy.

Anyway, FAOT, explain/defend.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 am UTC

Hey guys, please stay out of the Discussion forum for now. I'll tell you when it's ok again.

Return to “Mafia”