Would a tiger make a good pet for Paul Bunyan?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Would a tiger make a good pet for Paul Bunyan?

Postby Myria » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Tigers are bad pets for humans because they are dangerous. But if we were much larger than a tiger, would we have a relationship with them as we do now with housecats? Housecats are vicious killers, too; we're just much bigger than them.

How similar is tiger behavior to, say, the wild cats from which housecats derived?
Myria

Re: Would a tiger make a good pet for Paul Bunyan?

Postby Carnildo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:26 am UTC

With one exception, all the working animals (as opposed to food animals) that have been domesticated by humans live in groups with well-defined social structures, and a key element of domestication is to get the animal to accept a human as the leader of the social group. That one exception is the housecat -- we don't know how it ended up getting domesticated.
Carnildo

Postby poxic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:49 am UTC

The most common story is that cats took up residence around the grain stores when humans began farming, since the stores attracted rodents. The cats didn't eat the grain or any other plants, and were small enough to not damage the livestock, so humans tolerated or even encouraged them.

In a similar way to how wolves may have self-selected for getting along with humans, the cats who could tolerate humans likely mated with each other, since they were hanging around together near human settlements. This produced litters of kittens that also tended to tolerate humans well, and so on.

Also, hey. They're cute.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Qaanol » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:41 am UTC

poxic wrote:Also, hey. They're cute.

Semi-relevant link.
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 am UTC

reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Story "The Cat That Walked By Himself" which is basically a story about the domestication of cats. obviously it's just a story, but it's enjoyable nonetheless,
http://boop.org/jan/justso/cat.htm

Postby dkas2929 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Myria,
If they're hungry or feel threatened tigers will attack anything even when raised from cubs in a home environment. So I don't think it would matter how big we were, case in point sigfred and Roy. :)
dkas2929

Postby Soralin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:58 am UTC

dkas2929 wrote:Myria,
If they're hungry or feel threatened tigers will attack anything even when raised from cubs in a home environment. So I don't think it would matter how big we were, case in point sigfred and Roy. :)

Well, so can housecats, they're just small enough relative to us that it's nothing life-threatening, and we quickly learn not to try to pull a frightened housecat out from under a bed.
Soralin

Postby Charlie! » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"
Charlie!

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:19 am UTC

And I guess that follows, since they're more social than really any other species of feline.

Also, holycrapthatwasadorable.

Edit: Also, this comedy swear check thing is baffling and actually a little annoying. Hulk likes centipede, etc.
~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~
Copper Bezel

Postby Charlie! » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:And I guess that follows, since they're more social than really any other species of feline.

Also, holycrapthatwasadorable.

Edit: Also, this comedy swear check thing is baffling and actually a little annoying. Hulk likes centipede, etc.

Yeah, it goes in cycles. The philosophy is that we pay the rnoderators back in the coin of our rage and suffering :P
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"
Charlie!

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

dkas2929 wrote:Myria,

In Roy's case the tiger was actually trying to help him by dragging him away from danger. If he was a tiger cub dragging him by the back of the neck would be fine. In Mr. Bunyan's case the tiger would lack the strength to break his spine like that (Roy's main injury).
The future is a combination of east and down.
Quizatzhaderac

Return to Science