Strange but delicious combinations (Merged: Weird Snacks)

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Strange but delicious combinations (Merged: Weird Snacks

Postby Anonymously Famous » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:16 am UTC

Fries in a Wendy's chocolate Frosty is better.
Anonymously Famous

Postby RollingHead » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

Blinded by a freshly chopped onion, I accidentaly laced my dinner with cinnamon instead of hot pepper... it was surprisingly delicious!
RollingHead

Postby Samik » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Well gee. I did a find on each page for 'banana', and saw that, while my particular combination wasn't mentioned, just about every other possible combo was.

...Including "x on a banana". How do I get around that?

Ohwell. I discovered this long ago - who knows how - and while everyone I've ever mentioned it to got a disgusted look on their face, everyone who I've ever talked into trying it has agreed it's got a certain... I don't know what. Behold:

Bananas and barbecue sauce.
Samik

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

When we have leftover rice, I like to combine it with milk, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and sugar, and eat it for breakfast. It's like un-thickened rice pudding, basically. My husband goes on and on (every time, and it's been years now!) about how absolutely disgusting this is. I don't think this is that weird. It's a grain. It's like hot cereal. How is this all that different than oatmeal?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

Because you're wrong.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby poxic » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Because you're wrong deliciously, deliciously right.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

I think this mostly stems from an upbringing of pouring milk on cereal and nothing else, ever.

I don't even have a very confident relationship with the idea of milk and cookies, to be honest.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Nath » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:When we have leftover rice, I like to combine it with milk, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and sugar, and eat it for breakfast. It's like un-thickened rice pudding, basically. My husband goes on and on (every time, and it's been years now!) about how absolutely disgusting this is. I don't think this is that weird. It's a grain. It's like hot cereal. How is this all that different than oatmeal?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. But then again, I was raised on kheer and perugannam (yogurt-rice). Hell, we'll pour milk on anything. Doodh-chooda (milk with rice puff things), doodh-roti (milk with torn-up flatbread), doodh-doodh (milk with milk) etc.
Nath

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:19 am UTC

It sounds really good, but I don't think I could stomach the consistency. It's why I never enjoyed rice pudding when I was a kid and haven't had it since.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 am UTC

One reason I always make extra rice is so I can have rice pudding and make rice omelets for breakfast. With soy sauce. But some folks have very strict ideas of how some foods are eaten. They are just silly people.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am UTC

We always make extra rice, just because two of my kids think rice is not only a food group, it's EVERY FOOD GROUP.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:But some folks have very strict ideas of how some foods are eaten. They are just silly people.

Hmm, like for instance people who think that it's wrong and unnatural to eat breakfast cereal with fruit sliced into it, despite the serving suggestion on the very box? Iiiiiinteresting.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am UTC

I don't really consider this too weird, but the only response I've gotten so far on this recipy has been "UEEEEEY".

Now for many years I have been making pancakes where instead of sugar I squash a banana and put that in the recipy (mainly cause I can never be bothered to buy sugar). Then at some point I stopped buy things like milk as well since I never managed to drink it all before it went bad. So now I'm getting rid of my eggs by making omelette like things containing only 2 eggs, some rye flour and a squashed banana. Yummy! But my family now teases me about putting bananas into everything (I need potassium goddammit!).

Anywas, I quite like my banana omelette, but it gets a bit boring on it's own. What to do? Oh I know! Let's combine it with tacos!

Taco-banana-omelette:

Omelette:
2 eggs
rye flour
banana

mix together and do whatever it is you do to make omelettes solid.

Toppings:
taco-meat
bell-pepper
cheese
whatever else is in the fridge

When the cheese has melted top up with sour cream and salsa. YUMMY DELICIOUS WONDERFULLNESS!
Brainssss
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby darthchazza » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:28 am UTC

Grilled cheese + kimchi = win!

There's a whole kelidescope of flavours in it to accompany your favourite crunchy cheesy snack
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:
darthchazza

Postby Servant-of_Christ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:01 am UTC

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich made with chocolate pop-tarts. also best gaming food: chips crushed in a cup: they don't get the keyboard dirty.
Servant-of_Christ

Postby semicharmed » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am UTC

darthchazza wrote:Grilled cheese + kimchi = win!

There's a whole kelidescope of flavours in it to accompany your favourite crunchy cheesy snack

Ohhh man, now I want good cheese. I can get sour cabbage, and I have hot sauce to make it kimchi-like, but for good cheese I need to head into the city and the big supermarket. And pay double what the standard, bland orange russkyy cheese costs. Because kimchi grilled cheese sounds delicioussss. Do you put the kimchi into the grilled cheese, or eat it on the side?
semicharmed

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:When we have leftover rice, I like to combine it with milk, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and sugar, and eat it for breakfast. It's like un-thickened rice pudding, basically. My husband goes on and on (every time, and it's been years now!) about how absolutely disgusting this is. I don't think this is that weird. It's a grain. It's like hot cereal. How is this all that different than oatmeal?

My dad used to do something like this, except he added eggs and turned them into rice pancakes. Very good with butter and icing sugar on top.

My contributions:
vanilla icecream and angostura bitters
popcorn and soysauce
mac and cheese with soy sauce
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Previous

Return to Food