Poor single people eat weird things

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Poor single people eat weird things

Postby Nath » Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

My current favorite quick ramen topping is stir fried eggs and tomatoes. It's apparently common student food in China; there are recipes online. Last night I verified that it works with canned tomatoes, too.
Nath

Postby WholeLottaSean » Sat May 30, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Corn hash- Corned beef, baked beans and rice all swilled together
WholeLottaSean

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Eggs are my salvation when it comes to cheap food.

Of course, I've got chronically low cholesterol, so that helps.
Brother Maynard

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

Box mac 'n cheese + canned tuna + steamed frozen vegetables

In retrospect, I wish I'd kept the vegetables on the side and not mixed in. Oh well, next time.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby arcticfox.sq » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this has already been said, but peanut butter mixed into steamed rice is delicious.
arcticfox.sq

Postby joeframbach » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 am UTC

This thread is still kicking?
I approve.

A few months ago my roommates and I made chocolate-coffee chili. Baking chocolate and strong coffee all mixed in. It was wonderful.
xxv/♂/♫
joeframbach

Postby Delbin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 am UTC

One of my weirder things is buying one-pound bags of frozen corn and one-pound bags of mixed mushroom, onion, pepper, and broccoli and mixing both bags. It's not the cheapest, but it really fills you up. I mix in mustard, ketchup, or sesame oil depending on my mood.

Do the good folks here have suggestions for cheap, rice-based meals? I've liked drenching the rice in spaghetti sauce, but it's not always an option.
Delbin

Postby arcticfox.sq » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Delbin wrote:Do the good folks here have suggestions for cheap, rice-based meals? I've liked drenching the rice in spaghetti sauce, but it's not always an option.

Make fried rice? You can really throw anything you want in there, I like eggs and some frozen stuff like peas and corn, maybe some pepperoni/spam/sausage chunks too if you're a carnivore like me.
arcticfox.sq

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Crikey-you can use rice as a base and eat well for years.
Rice will work well under just about any sauce.
Rice and beans are a great combo.
If you want specific recipes, just ask I have dozens.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re:

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:52 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Basically he'd take a box of macaroni and cheese, and mix in about half a pack of hot dogs, cut up. Put a little ketchup on the side to dip the hot dog bits, and that was good eatin'.

I still eat this. Except I put the ketchup in my mac and cheese with hot dogs. And there are days when I put chili in it too.

I like to make pico de gallo and put watermelon in it with extra salt. But I eat weird combinations of food all the time.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.
Gentlelady

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:57 am UTC

I usually put fried ground beef in my Kraft Dinner. If I eat it plain, I feel too low-brow.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.
Alpha Omicron

Re:

Postby robard » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Could you hear him getting fatter?

Yes i can, in fact i can hear him getting fatter two thousand miles away, like giant sloshing footsteps. Which only the whippoorwills seem to drown out, in a maddening cacophony.

WHOO Dunwich Horror!

Now on topic: When i was younger, i would take that cheeselike product in a can, squeeze it on to a Ritz cracker, put on Gerber wieners (because for some reason i didnt like vienna sausages) and finally sandwich that between 2 regular flavored Pringles
robard

Postby Sgt. Lennon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

The basic one for my family is the early morning reheat.
Take any kind of leftover rice, put in a frying pan and add eggs and cheese.
Add anything else left over from last night chopped in little pieces.
Enjoy.

Also been done with pasta chopped up instead of rice.
Sgt. Lennon

Postby Chaos_Rose » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:13 am UTC

I suppose this wouldn't technically count, but the friend I'm talking about here is basically on her own with cooking, because if you've ever tried one of her mother's cabbage shakes (Just thinking about it makes me nauseous), then you'd try your hand at cooking your own meals, too.

So, this friend who I'll call "M" is famous for her disgusting culinary concoctions. Once, during lunch, she had a strawberry yogurt, a salad with Italian dressing, and fried apples. She had eaten half of the yogurt when she had the brilliant idea of mixing them all together. The rest of our table watched in disgust as she dropped each ingredient into the tub, one by one, mixing them with her fork (only boring people eat yogurt with a spoon). "You'd better have some milk left," I groaned. M looked at me with the saddest expression, and poured some of the milk from her carton into her mix. I quickly told her that I meant it to wash it down, but the damage had been done. She looked into her tub of yogurt, sighed, and chowed down.

She said that it was actually pretty good, except for the Italian dressing.
Chaos_Rose

Postby baultista » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

I generally enjoy preparing and cooking good meals, but I have this tendency to become extremely lazy at times.

The most bizarre thing I ate as a late night snack were dill pickles with peanut butter and some left over sauteed mushrooms.
RIce crackers with ketchup and relish was a strange mix too.

I live and home again though, so the fridge and cupboards are always well stocked :P
Could God write a program so long that not even he himself would have the memory to compile it in a single pass? -- Hamish Campbell
baultista

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

I used to eat the most random weird things in sandwiches, like peanut butter and ham. I eat dark chocolate with (strong, mature) cheddar cheese as well - that's an awesome combination.
Adacore

Postby WholeLottaSean » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I used to eat the most random weird things in sandwiches, like peanut butter and ham. I eat dark chocolate with (strong, mature) cheddar cheese as well - that's an awesome combination.

Peanut Butter goes with anything in a sandwich. PB and lettuce is my favourite. The chocolate and cheese sounds good.
WholeLottaSean

Postby Samik » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

I know I'm not alone in this - I used to (not anymore) operate within that school of shopping where one does an enormous shop all at once, that will last several weeks, and then, based on some principle I couldn't begin to articulate, doesn't go again until the fridge and cabinets have been emptied of every single last metabolizable substance.

As I didn't always plan out perfectly how what I'm buying is going to turn into 3-4 weeks of meals, things would tend to get pretty dicey down towards the end. Mot of the time, it was boring stuff, like pasta - plain, or stale bread and mustard.

My all time low, however, was probably the wet* bread and salt dinner.

*water applied in a vain attempt to offset the staleness.
Samik

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Box mac 'n cheese + canned tuna + steamed frozen vegetables

In retrospect, I wish I'd kept the vegetables on the side and not mixed in. Oh well, next time.

...wow. Blast from the past. This was, in fact, the very meal that put me off steamed vegetables for two years. It didn't help that I was suffering from a condition that made me nauseous at the time. I still can't really eat snap peas.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

Wow, this thread lives!

I want to start adding my corollaries to the thread title: "Poor married guys who get rare nights away from wives and kids eat really, REALLY weird things". I go a little overboard with my bi-annual bachelor nights. Most of them involve bacon, anchovies, jalapenos, and anything else I'm not allowed to cook the rest of the year. Often fried. With cheese.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Samik » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:22 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Wow, this thread lives!

Yeah, my bad. I sort of 1.) clicked on a thread on the main page with a ton of pages, 2.) followed a link on one of the first few pages (several years old) to this thread, and 3.) posted without looking at the date of the last post.

This resulted in my getting really confused because my memory dropped step #2, so for a minute or two I was trying to figure out I managed to successfully necrotize a thread that was already on the front page....

Oh well. It's a solid thread topic, in any case, no?
Samik

Postby Роберт » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Wow, this thread lives!

I want to start adding my corollaries to the thread title: "Poor married guys who get rare nights away from wives and kids eat really, REALLY weird things". I go a little overboard with my bi-annual bachelor nights. Most of them involve bacon, anchovies, jalapenos, and anything else I'm not allowed to cook the rest of the year. Often fried. With cheese.

Yummy!

Well, the with cheese part sounds yummy for sure. Married people do tend to eat things that are typically off limits when they get a chance. I have some in-laws where one of them has allergies, so when he's gone for a while, she's bingeing on the stuff he's allergic to. Won't kill him with a kiss when he's gone. I'll probably just eat sardines and Doritos with a margarita or something. Glories lunch except my wife hates sardines.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

Tonight it's sardine-blue-cheese-and-jalapeno hashbrowns.

After the kids go to sleep. Blue cheese scares them.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby eaglewings51 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:18 am UTC

The weirdest thing I've made. Hmm.

I bought a small sliced ham to use for making sandwiches when I started off this semester at college. After eating it a couple times, I started to hate the flavor. I couldn't stand it so I put it in the freezer so it wouldn't spoil. Finally, I decided that I absolutely had to eat it because if not, it'd be wasteful and I'd be basically throwing money away. But, I hated the flavor so I found ways to cover up the flavor.

First way: a ham + cheese + barbecue sauce sandwich. My mom thought I was crazy when I told her and thought it was weird but it worked! I couldn't taste the ham.

Second way: ham + cheese + onions + terriyaki sauce. This one isn't quite as weird and it tasted good! I make this one quite a bit now.

Third way: this is not weird at all. I used it in scrambled eggs. Eggs + onion + ham + cheese. It tasted really good that way.
eaglewings51

Postby Argency » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 am UTC

The cook at my college got fired and for a couple of months we had a volunteer from the student body making the food. He was actually a pretty good cook but towards the end of semester he didn't have much free time and was also coming to the end of his allotted budget, so meals got a bit... suspect. We'd have:

Day 1
- Sausages and bacon for breakfast
- Reheated sausages in bread for lunch
- Boiled reheated sausage pasta gloop for dinner
Day 2
- Recycled Sausage and pasta-sauce omelette for breakfast
- Sausage and pasta omelette pasta bake for lunch
- Sausage surprise special for dinner

And things like that. To be fair it all tastes fine when you cover it in cheese and sweet chilli sauce, and after a few iterations the flavour of the sausage-based meals gravitates to what I can only assume is a strange attractor in sausage-meal flavour-space, so that instead of fluctuating wildly every subsequent meal has pretty much the same barely bearable taste. In the end I bought a hotplate for my room and started having dinner parties there instead, and that's where the real magic happened. We had to wear academic robes for college dinner, so we'd all go in and check it wasn't something good for a change, and then when it inevitably turned out to be pasta-and-pasta-bake bake or something we'd gather in my tiny room instead, still in full academic attire, and make savory crepes or fritters whilst swilling cask wine. Amazing what you can bear to put in a fritter when the alternative is ground up sausage pasta bake that's been stuffed into a sausage skin and baked into another pasta bake.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.
Argency

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Grilled peanut-butter-banana-chocolate sandwiches. The best way to take care of a leftover sandwich is to fry it in butter.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby semicharmed » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Grilled peanut-butter-banana-chocolate sandwiches. The best way to take care of a leftover sandwich is to fry it in butter.

Except... why would you ever have a leftover PB-banana-chocolate sandwich?

Also, dammit, now I really want one of those. But I have no bananas and the only chocolate in the house right now is filled with cognac.
semicharmed

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

I have discovered that my very fancy locally made habanero curry Ebesse Zozo Hot Sauce goes UNBELIEVABLY WELL... with Cheez Whiz.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby dubsola » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Blue cheese scares them.

Blue cheese scares most kids, my past childhood self included
dubsola

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Blue cheese scares them.

Blue cheese scares most kids, my past childhood self included

These are the kids who think fried chicken livers in buffalo sauce is the greatest food ever made, though. <3
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Inglonias » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Something weird that I've made recently is a toasted roll with cream cheese and salsa.

When I say salsa, I don't mean that tomato paste-based stuff. The salsa I get for this food is essentially just diced vegetables. (I believe that it has tomato, cilantro, onion, and bell peppers. Very low on the spicy)

A few days ago, I also added some smoked salmon on top.
Inglonias

Postby roband » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

Not weird, per se, but I once wanted a sandwich. I discovered there was no bread.

My only way around this was to cut a block of cheese, wrap it in ham, and eat that. A breadless sandwich. Yeah ok, maybe that is a bit weird.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

roband wrote:Not weird, per se, but I once wanted a sandwich. I discovered there was no bread.

My only way around this was to cut a block of cheese, wrap it in ham, and eat that. A breadless sandwich. Yeah ok, maybe that is a bit weird.

I used to do that, also nice if you microwave it to melt the cheese.

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

roband wrote:Not weird, per se, but I once wanted a sandwich. I discovered there was no bread.

I used to do that last night.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby roband » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

It's ok my brother, we have no shame here.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby cerbie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:06 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

I do it all the time, as well, though typically with pre-sliced cheddar.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.
cerbie

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

To be honest, i only don't do it now because I always have bread, and I eat exactly 2 packs of ham a week in my work lunches, if i were to buy 3 packs of ham a week I would have way too much, and would be forced to eat it all the time, just to make sure it didn't go off.

In fact I am going on holiday next week and have some ham to use up, (forgot to take it off the shopping list!) and loads of cheese left over from Christmas, I might have one tonight!

Postby Webzter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Having read through this thread, I'm a bit worried that I'm not seeing anything 'weird'

for the mac & cheese + hot dog people... put the hot dogs in with the noodles when you're boiling them, the hot dog flavor permeates the noodles and gives you a much more robust, hot doggy taste. Buffalo sauce on eggs is weird? Please, I keep a bottle of Franks Red Hot on hand for just such occasions.

My favorite pizzas to make have been pizza crust with refried beans, rice, salsa, guac and source cream and then another made with sliced, steamed potatoes, curry, onion, and Indian pickle (this particular pickle being, I think, pickled limes) topped with a hot sauce.

Growing up, my mom would buy whatever was cheap that week/month in the way of staples and then every week she'd cook and refrigerate/freeze meals for the upcoming week. Every month, she'd go through and pull out anything that was nearing it's end of life (been in the freezer too long for example). That would all be thawed and combined and thrown together in the soup pot. Something like cabbage might be added. We all dubbed it Garbage Soup. No set recipe of course... and the one night of the week my friends refused to come over for dinner.
Webzter

Postby cerbie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

Cheerios and pork skins
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.
cerbie

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

PB&J Quesadilla.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.
Fire Brns

PreviousNext

Return to Food