New Rule about jsMath

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

New Rule about jsMath

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

While jsMath is amazingly helpful for displaying complex formulas, it does significantly slow down page loading for a lot of people.

Therefore, please refrain from using it for things which are perfectly easy to display using plain text and other bbcode tags.

If you just want to raise something to an exponent, use [sup].
If you just want a subscript, use [sub].
If you just want to make clear what letters are variables as opposed to commentary text, make them italic or bold instead of [math]y.
These characters and strings are perfectly usable in ASCII: { } | -> <- ... ! < > != and so on.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Re: New Rule about jsMath

Postby Dopefish » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

How about formulas that contain greek letters? Should the greek letter actually be typed out, as in p=h/(lambda), or is use of math tags acceptable there?

Personally I find typed out greek letters somewhat cluttery, especially if it's typed more then once, but the formulas themselves aren't necessarily complicated.

(I suppose my example isn't a good one as p=hf/c is fine, but that's besides my point.)
Dopefish

Postby Dropzone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Dopefish wrote:How about formulas that contain greek letters? Should the greek letter actually be typed out, as in p=h/(lambda), or is use of math tags acceptable there?

Personally I find typed out greek letters somewhat cluttery, especially if it's typed more then once, but the formulas themselves aren't necessarily complicated.

(I suppose my example isn't a good one as p=hf/c is fine, but that's besides my point.)

You could just use the appropriate Unicode character (e.g. p=h/λ). This might be useful to copy-paste from.
Dropzone

Postby The EGE » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

This dohickey may be useful as well, if you know LaTeX. LaTeX goes in, linkable image goes out.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.
The EGE

Postby Dopefish » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:22 am UTC

I suppose either of those work, although it's still a pain to need to stop writing the post and go to some other site half way through a response.

I don't use equations 'that' regularly so I guess it's not a huge deal, but it does seem like this'll be somewhat inconvenient when occasions do arrise.
Dopefish

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:00 am UTC

If you need to have a complicated equation, go ahead and use the math or imath tags. I'm just requesting that they not be used for mundane things that aren't worth slowing people's browsing down for.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Thank you for this rule. I am one of the many who read this forum and have trouble with jsmath loading.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.
Odd_nonposter

Postby Qaanol » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 am UTC

My personal solution was the create a custom keyboard layout. It’s almost identical to the standard layout (for Mac OS X) but has a few hotkeys that go into special modes like Greek, Math, Logic, Sub/Superscript, and several others. If anyone is interested I’d be happy to share my keyboard layout.

I still have to use the character viewer if I want certain things like Planck’s constant (ℎ), but if I want h-bar I have that: ℏ. Maybe I’ll add ℎ next time I update it. Here are some examples of what I can type fairly easily:

ℚ² ⊂ ℝ²

∀x ∈ A×B, ∃y ∈ C: P(x) ⇒ ¬(Q(x) ⋀ R(y))

∭(∇⋅F)dV = ∯(F⋅n)dS
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:∭(∇⋅F)dV = ∯(F⋅n)dS
I need to more than double my font size to easily recognize those integrals. But in general I'd expect and be fine with integration being done with jsMath.

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Tass » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:24 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Qaanol wrote:∭(∇⋅F)dV = ∯(F⋅n)dS
I need to more than double my font size to easily recognize those integrals. But in general I'd expect and be fine with integration being done with jsMath.

They read just fine for me.
Tass

Postby Dream » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

gmal, this might be above a magistrate's pay grade, but is there any chance of a specific ban on jsmath in signatures? I don't know of any offending me at the moment, but I've seen it in the past and been irritated by it.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby Diadem » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 am UTC

I use my mobile phone a lot to browse these here forums. js doesn't function vert well on them, so thanks for this rule. It also slows my regular pc down, so another reason to support this.

By the way, most of those symbols Qaanol posted work, but not the integrals. Anyone know what gives? Using android here
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby Griffin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:19 am UTC

Just means your version of Android (maybe all of them) don't ship with that characters in whatever font it uses. Apparently which Android you're using matters. Not a lot you can do about it, though the newer versions do support embedded web fonts - that would have to be enabled on the forum end, though.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.
Griffin

Return to Science