typo

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

typo

Postby guynoir » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

In the MONEY installment, http://xkcd.com/980/, I found one typo so far; the "2010 Presidential Campaign Fundraising" should be "2008....." in case you want to correct it.
guynoir

Re: typo

Postby fugacity » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

Saw that, also found:

Typical household income
Top 10% = Top 1% @ $201,100
Top 1% looks like it should be $822,000
fugacity

Postby fugacity » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

Problems too around ExxonMobile (missing years? estimated profit at different costs for gas?)
and
US annual oil and gas substidies, different boxes but same cost ($1.9B).
fugacity

Postby fugacity » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

I think that's all the typos I could find. A couple disagreements though:
1. I don't think adding 2 hours shopping and prep time to rice and beans, which brings it to near parity with going out to eat, is fair. The cook time is much longer than the actual prep time (which should be under 5 minutes). If anything the time cost calculated could be astronomical if you let beans soak overnight and accounted for that as lost time. I don't think this measures how much beans and rice "costs" because while this is going on the human cooking could be doing other productive things in the area or nearby (work on a computer, cleaning, studying/reading, etc).

2. I don't think the Chernobyl disaster should be typical of nuclear power. It was essentially an unplanned planed demolition of ones own infrastructure at supposedly one's peoples immediate detriment, fatally so. It's not even a one in a million chance, it's a one in one chance if one is deliberately set about achieving the worst possible outcome. I unfortunately have to grant Fukushima although that seems like it should be an outlier (3 mile might be interesting but likely be too small for the billions scale block). I assume also that Fukushima flood and other natural disaster costs were sequestered from the actual nuclear plant effects?

3. In general in the electricity section, was there an attempt to discover the capacity of the various energy production methods. Wind, gas, and geothermal look very attractive in this chart, but that could be taking current marginal rates and unfairly extrapolating to a higher capacity where the availability for good renewable sites and the trading costs of fuel commodities would negatively impact the costs away from those shown. Natural gas should likely have an estimate for negative climate and environmental impact, especially from transport and hydrofraking impact. Also, while numbers are being slung about, I'd be really interested in an estimate for a solar satellite / microwave transmission power supply costs. The initial cost might venture into mega-projects territory, but I'd be interested in if the amortized cost might be remotely competitive.

Thanks,
fugacity
fugacity

Postby fugacity » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Something else weird. I was interested in drug war costs (though the majority of that may be state budget costs and not federal - though probably federally mandated - see unfunded mandates) and looked in the chart. I couldn't find anything in the federal government budget for ordinary operations costs let alone BATF/FBI. Is there a section missing? I see Heath/Medicare, Interest on Debt, Income Security, Military, Veteran's, Medicare, and Social Security. There doesn't seem to be a section for things like the EPA and DOE, etc.
fugacity

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

This is not the forum for general discussion. There's a whole subforum for discussing details of the comic.
Treatid basically wrote:widdout elephants deh be no starting points. deh be no ZFC.

(If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

typo in 980

Postby oayfer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:30 pm UTC

under "THOUSANDS"

Golden Opulence ice ceam sundae
oayfer

Return to Site/Forum issues