Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Postby mmark9094 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

I constantly forget. I'll remember some useless and pointless fact or comment for years, but when it comes to logistical information or date and time, its gone in 5 minutes.
mmark9094

Postby Sweeney_Todd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:58 am UTC

I'm an incredibly violent and unsympathetic person on the inside. On the outside, I'm a pacifist and an overall pleasant person to be around. Both of those I feel are a genuine personality of mine.
SurgicalSteel wrote:Wow, you're spectacularly unhelpful! I think you have a real talent for not being helpful!
Sweeney_Todd

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:09 am UTC

hey! me too.
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Sytri » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:57 am UTC

Wow. I thought I was alone. There's at least two others out there! Yay!
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.
Sytri

Postby Gear » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Confession 1: I'm currently getting a B in Bio-Chem because it's so slow and boring that I lurk on various tech forums instead. I really need to start taking notes by hand to rid myself of the temptation.

Confession 2: I plan on never ever coming out to my parents.

Confession 3: I'm rather amused by the juxtaposition between all the serious confessions in this thread and the joke ones. I'm mildly afraid of what that means about me.
Gear

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

Gear wrote:I'm mildly afraid of what that means about me.

"that" = "being amused by said juxtaposition" ? Because if so, I'd say that you have nothing to worry about.
Ptolom wrote:penis
I Am Raven

Postby RollingHead » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

I've bluffed my way through the past nineteen years by pretending to have a clue about what I'm doing, but I'm constantly terrified of messing up every tiny step.
RollingHead

Postby Samik » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 am UTC

RollingHead wrote:I've bluffed my way through the past nineteen years by pretending to have a clue about what I'm doing, but I'm constantly terrified of messing up every tiny step.

I got news for ya. Being "well-adjusted" is a myth. There are two kinds of people: the kind who know they are constantly walking on a razor's edge of messing up, and those who don't know that they are.

The kind that don't know that they are succeed because the rest of us are too terrified of messing up ourselves to call them out on it.

Spend some time in the corporate world, and you'll see that all these high-powered individuals are completely winging it, just like the rest of us.
Samik

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

A lot of people, especially ones with a smidgen of self-awareness, encounter some form of fraud syndrome for most of their lives. Constantly afraid of not being good enough or expecting to fail at every step despite objective evidence of their skills and talents.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby Dason » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:A lot of people, especially ones with a smidgen of self-awareness, encounter some form of fraud syndrome for most of their lives. Constantly afraid of not being good enough or expecting to fail at every step despite objective evidence of their skills and talents.

Yay! This is how grad school makes me feel!Wikipedia tells me I'm not the only one!
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby Shro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Dason wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:A lot of people, especially ones with a smidgen of self-awareness, encounter some form of fraud syndrome for most of their lives. Constantly afraid of not being good enough or expecting to fail at every step despite objective evidence of their skills and talents.

Yay! This is how grad school makes me feel!Wikipedia tells me I'm not the only one!

Handy dandy link on that page describes the name of the effect we're talking about.

I'm looking forward to the day where "you lack the metacognitive ability to recognize your mistakes" is like the biggest insult.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?
Shro
science genius girl

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

Shro wrote:
Dason wrote:

Handy dandy link on that page describes the name of the effect we're talking about.

I'm looking forward to the day where "you lack the metacognitive ability to recognize your mistakes" is like the biggest insult.

You, woman, lack the metacognitive ability to recognize the way your metacognitive ability is erroneous on a higher frame!
Menacing Spike

Postby felltir » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Confession: The scar on my body that I hate the most, that makes me cry every time I see it, wasn't even put there by me.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby RollingHead » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

Thanks guys, I know my problem isn't anything special, it just overwhelms me sometimes. :)
RollingHead

Postby Ser Pounce-a-lot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Confession: I hate washing dishes, and sometimes procrastinate quite a bit on washing them. I feel bad about leaving dirty dishes in the sink though, but I live alone, so if I don't do them, no one else will. It's not I leave them there for a week or anything, but still, I should stop being lazy. Seriously thinking about getting a countertop dishwasher for my apartment.
Ser Pounce-a-lot

Postby Mardeg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14 am UTC

Confession: I ... *deep breath* ... like Comic Sans. When I need to show someone a screenshot I switch the font to something else just to avoid the embarassment.
Mardeg

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Mardeg wrote:Confession: I ... *deep breath* ... like Comic Sans. When I need to show someone a screenshot I switch the font to something else just to avoid the embarassment.

:(
Ptolom wrote:penis
I Am Raven

Postby Ser Pounce-a-lot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

Mardeg wrote:Confession: I ... *deep breath* ... like Comic Sans. When I need to show someone a screenshot I switch the font to something else just to avoid the embarassment.

Typography majors everywhere cringe, but at least it's not Papyrus.
Ser Pounce-a-lot

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

I'll do you one better. I just don't give a shit about font in general. Hell you could probably show me some words in a couple different fonts and ask which is comic sans and I probably wouldn't be able to pick it out.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

Finding this took me way too long.

Menacing Spike

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I just don't give a shit about font in general

pseudoidiot.PNG
pseudoidiot.PNG (35.42 KiB) Viewed 2818 times

Design is law; typography is design. Fonts inspire emotions, trigger different brain reactions. Aesthetics are so important to conveying the message you want to convey.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

What's wrong with .png's?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

File size.
Menacing Spike

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Depends on the type of image. PNG is usually better than GIF. And while it's worse than JPEG, the latter is lossy.

What would you recommend?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

.bmp
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Depends on the type of image. PNG is usually better than GIF. And while it's worse than JPEG, the latter is lossy.

What would you recommend?

For forums and imageboards, JPG/JPG2.

If you want to keep it lossless (for editing, encoding naughty messages in the LSBs, w/e), yeah, by all means, PNG is fine.
Menacing Spike

Postby Goldstein » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

You're preacing to the converted ('scuse that), but your own avatar's a gif.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom
Goldstein

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:You're preacing to the converted ('scuse that), but your own avatar's a gif.

GIF transparency is more widely supported that PNG transparency. A forumite on a weird browser could witness my avatar devoid of this magnificent feature; this would not do! See how you can drag charmander over buttons and they remain visible?

Also it's just 4 Ko and colour fidelity is not an issue.
Menacing Spike

Postby Goldstein » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

You're right. I can also drag Charmander over the god figure of my own avatar and it really brightens the mood of it. Neat.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom
Goldstein

Postby Ghostbear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:File size [is what's wrong with pngs].

That's not always true- a lot of image types work out much smaller as a PNG than a JPEG. Certainly not the majority of say, photographs or the like, but definitely a lot of images. If you're export (most) images from Matlab, you could use a .jpg and get an ugly mess, at maybe 500 kb. Or a .png that looks perfect at maybe 30 kb. It's not hard to figure out which one is the better option. People are far too stuck with the idea that JPEGs are always smaller than lossless formats. Usually true, but not always.
Ghostbear

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

All I know is that having scanned images default to max-resolution .TIFF was one of the most annoying, PC-crashing things I had to encounter during my first job in 2003. Also having the file association unchangeably (due to admin rights) linked to QuickTime just doubled my daily headache.

I've deliberately never dealt with TIFF files since, due to the painful memories.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Ghostbear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:All I know is that having scanned images default to max-resolution .TIFF was one of the most annoying, PC-crashing things I had to encounter during my first job in 2003. Also having the file association unchangeably (due to admin rights) linked to QuickTime just doubled my daily headache.

I've deliberately never dealt with TIFF files since, due to the painful memories.

I absolutely detest TIFF. Ugh. It's not a very good compression either- I had a ~470 mb photo from NASA (this, if anyone is curious), when I re-encoded it to PNG (because of my hatred of TIFF), it shrunk by about 70 mb.
Ghostbear

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Ghostbear wrote:
Felstaff wrote:All I know is that having scanned images default to max-resolution .TIFF was one of the most annoying, PC-crashing things I had to encounter during my first job in 2003. Also having the file association unchangeably (due to admin rights) linked to QuickTime just doubled my daily headache.

I absolutely detest TIFF. Ugh. It's not a very good compression either- I had a ~470 mb photo from NASA (this, if anyone is curious), when I re-encoded it to PNG (because of my hatred of TIFF), it shrunk by about 70 mb.
... I thought the point of TIFF was that it was not compressed at all....
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Ghostbear » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:25 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Ghostbear wrote:

... I thought the point of TIFF was that it was not compressed at all....

It is compressed, though it's still (usually) lossless.

Wikipedia gave me a bit more information; apparently the default for TIFF is to not be compressed, and the format itself doesn't contain any compression, but you can include various compression methods (including, amusingly enough, the JPEG compression scheme) within the file. I don't think I've ever encountered a TIFF that was completely uncompressed though. So I guess technically it isn't, though it usually will be. I'd argue that it definitely isn't the "point" of TIFF though.

So, I guess keeping in the spirit of the thread... Confession: I didn't research TIFF files enough before my prior post.
Ghostbear

Postby Cathy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:46 am UTC

Confession: I'm always afraid to post in a thread because so many I've posted in have ended with my post as the last one. I wonder why! Is my post not intelligent enough to respond to? Did I do something wrong? 0_0 I cursed the threads.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Cathy

Postby Dr.Buck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:Confession: I'm always afraid to post in a thread because so many I've posted in have ended with my post as the last one. I wonder why! Is my post not intelligent enough to respond to? Did I do something wrong? 0_0 I cursed the threads.

Well, today's your lucky day! On another forum I use, that's normally my job! :D
Dr.Buck

Postby awesome blue! » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

That happens to me too! Oops! I hope it's not happening now!
awesome blue!

Postby Cathy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:43 am UTC

Dr.Buck wrote:
Cathy wrote:Confession: I'm always afraid to post in a thread because so many I've posted in have ended with my post as the last one. I wonder why! Is my post not intelligent enough to respond to? Did I do something wrong? 0_0 I cursed the threads.

Well, today's your lucky day! On another forum I use, that's normally my job! :D

awesome blue! wrote:That happens to me too! Oops! I hope it's not happening now!

:o HUGS! Hugs for ALL!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Cathy

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:56 am UTC

My most brutal thread closure occurred on a Dota forum, full of raging, frothing teens (I was a snarky, trollish teen at the time, so this was heaven).

The thread was about "why do girls only care about looks they should love me" (paraphrased). It was pure Nice Guy™ tripe. The thread was very, very active.
I replied with this:

"/thread", immediately spoke my prophet in hushed tones.

And the thread was no more, and sunk to the forgotten depths of the Old Pages.
Menacing Spike

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:24 am UTC

Ser Pounce-a-lot wrote:

Typography majors everywhere cringe, but at least it's not Papyrus.

I was chatting with a complete stranger at a Thanksgiving dinner today and I cracked a font joke. We both came to the conclusion that it's be hilarious for someone to have a daughter and name her Arial Helvetica.
Weeks wrote:Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best.
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

PreviousNext

Return to General