Stanford: Introduction To Artificial Intelligence: Fall 2011

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Stanford: Introduction To Artificial Intelligence: Fall 2011

Postby Gatesunder » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I am surprised to not find a thread on this here, though maybe I didn't look hard enough.

In any case, if you hadn't heard, Peter Norvig and Sebastian Thrun -- Professors in Stanford's CS dept -- are running a course this fall as named in the thread subject. The interesting part is that they are offering to run this course for free for anyone who wants to sign up, even those who are not students at Stanford. The class is free and grades will be given as if you were a student. Grading is done via grading AI. If you complete the class with satisfactory scores, you will receive a certificate of completion from them (I hear they're big names in the AI field, so this would carry legitimate weight).

The course can be found here: http://www.ai-class.com

I don't know if there is going to be a forum set up by them for the online students, but if not, is anyone else here taking this course that wants to get something started with this? Thus far there are about 20,000+ students signed up for it, last I checked, so I can't imagine them being able to answer every question online students might have, unless they have an AI program set up for that purpose.
I'm wrong 99% of the time, but some day that 1% will be better than the rest ...
Gatesunder

Re: Stanford: Introduction To Artificial Intelligence: Fall

Postby Parsifal » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:46 am UTC

I'm signing up for this course now. I just started the MS in CS at Georgia Tech with a specialization in interactive intelligence. Unfortunately, I did not take an undergraduate AI course when I got my BS in 2001 and there is no real introductory course in AI offered here this semester (at the graduate level). If you are taking the Stanford course and have questions or want to discuss anything (within the rules of the class, of course), feel free to send me a message.

BTW, my opinion is that completing this course offers no real benefit beyond exposure to the subject. The online FAQ specifically states that you get a certificate from the instructors, NOT an official Stanford certificate of any kind. Still, taking an online introduction is better than nothing at all. Plus, I was planning to buy professor Norvig's textbook at some point anyway.
Parsifal

Postby filius_nullius » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:36 am UTC

I'd definitely be interested in some discussion about it; I'm working on my BS in Computer Science at the moment and will probably continue on for a Masters in some sort of AI related field. I also haven't had a chance to take an intro class yet as it isn't available in my department; hopefully I'll remember this thread once the class starts
filius_nullius

Postby Kirby » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

I'm conflicted. I'm interested in AI. I'm also taking 18 hours this semester and I'm already a CS major, and will be able to take a very similar course in a couple of semesters.

Taking it via Stanford would give me some background knowledge (okay, it'd be almost exactly the same, more than likely. They even use the same book) before walking into the AI course at my uni - plus, I'd get to learn about something I'm interested in advance of what I could otherwise due to scheduling and the like. On the other hand, it'd distract from my other studies and such as that.

Decisions, decisions...
Kirby

Postby filius_nullius » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 am UTC

Kirby,

The way I see it, It's not for an actual grade - and - signing up for it will give access to the course materials so even if you don't finish all the assignments it can't hurt to be able to look it over?
filius_nullius

Postby jgn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

If this were offered last year I'd jump all over it, but I'm taking my school's into AI course this year. Norvig co-authored what seems to be the intro AI textbook, though.
jgn

Postby Xami » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Signed up for this and the machine learning one, I think the ML will be more useful to me more immediately but we'll see.
Xami

Postby mr-mitch » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Official registration (or enrollment) is open.
mr-mitch

Postby Xami » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

Machine learning class registration is open
http://ml-class.org

I'm doing both AI and ML classes - study group?
Xami

Postby Vito » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Im also taking the ML class. Would be cool to open a section/thread on this forum about the ML/AI/DB classes.
Vito

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

I'm doing both classes, deffo be a good idea to discuss things and other stuffs ^_^
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever
a_fuzzyduck

Postby Xami » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

It looks like I'm not going to have the free time to devote to both classes every week, so I'm going to focus my energies to the machine learning class.
Xami

Postby ConMan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

Hey all,

I'm doing the Machine Learning course, and it's definitely interesting (although in my opinion the programming exercises don't do a heck of a lot for improving understanding of the subject unless you look at the bits of the program you're not meant to edit and try to figure out how they work).

They've announced that after the three (so no-one here did the Intro to Databases course?) courses offered this semester, they're running a whole lot more at the start of next year, including a re-run (possibly with a little extra content) of the ML course - Reddit link. Looks fun, but I don't think I can justify any of them as being work-related like ML was!
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 am UTC

Oh, right. I had signed up for this and then due to various things didn't actually do it. I'll probably try to do either the machine learning or ai one next semester though.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby supermario » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:10 am UTC

Very nice. I'll be taking the cryptography course with Dan Boneh: www.crypto-class.org
supermario

Postby Xami » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

Oh hey everybody - finished the last two programming ML assignments yesterday - hope I'm not too late for the certificate.
Xami

Return to Computer Science