Think About The Children Watch: Teacher Writes Erotic Novels

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

wst

Re: Think About The Children Watch: Teacher Writes Erotic No

Postby wst » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:54 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:How many people write "doughnut" instead of "donut"?
Doughnut is the round thing with jam in the middle and sugar on the exterior. Donut is the toroidal sweet (well, non-savoury) foodstuff that originated in the USA, iirc.

This fuss makes me quite happy I have no intention of ever becoming a teacher. I like my personal life having no bearing on my career, frankly.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids. It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone who is so interested in sex that they wrote novels about it might influence your children toward teen sex, and therefore might not be such a good role model. They do play a huge role in children's lives.

Sure, she might be able to separate her professional life from her private one, but the parents don't know that. After all, the trust for teachers today is at an all time low, and who can blame them with all the horror stories about molestation and rape?

I would react differently, but I do understand the parents here.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids. It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone who is so interested in sex that they wrote novels about it might influence your children toward teen sex, and therefore might not be such a good role model. They do play a huge role in children's lives. .

Wait, what? Following this, you could also say that because the teacher is interested in sex, she might be interested in having sex with her pupils and must be fired and the same can be said of all sexually active teachers.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

Garm wrote:
PeterCai wrote:With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids. It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone who is so interested in sex that they wrote novels about it might influence your children toward teen sex, and therefore might not be such a good role model. They do play a huge role in children's lives. .

Wait, what? Following this, you could also say that because the teacher is interested in sex, she might be interested in having sex with her pupils and must be fired and the same can be said of all sexually active teachers.

This. How about we stop making assumptions based on unrelated matters and judge a teacher's fitness to teach based on their history in the classroom?
I looked out across the river today …

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids. It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone who is so interested in sex that they wrote novels about it might influence your children toward teen sex, and therefore might not be such a good role model. They do play a huge role in children's lives.

Sure, she might be able to separate her professional life from her private one, but the parents don't know that. After all, the trust for teachers today is at an all time low, and who can blame them with all the horror stories about molestation and rape?

I would react differently, but I do understand the parents here.

Good luck finding asexual teachers to staff every school.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Also,

PeterCai, but not really wrote:With the possibility of significant trauma and death, teen sports are undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids. It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone who is so interested in sports that they watch sports on television on a weekly basis might influence your children toward teen sports, and therefore might not be such a good role model. They do play a huge role in children's lives.

Time to fire the football coach.
I looked out across the river today …

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky,

Nope, not really. It isn't any more risky than tweenties-sex, thirties-sex and fourties-sex.

Or at least it wouldn't be if our society wasn't so prudish that we don't teach kids how to have the right kind of sex*, but rather teach a completely non-workable "just don't do it" to a bunch of people continually high on strange hormones, which have relatively recently figured out that a penis can be used for stuff other than pissing.

*As in, protection, safety, consent and clever risk-management. We really should teach teenagers more about what consent means.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids.

How do you get from the uncertainty of a possibility to the certainty of a therefore?

Yes, sex has risks. Risks which can these days be fairly safely mitigated (although rising STD rates would suggest we aren't doing a good job on that front right now). It also has quite a few potential benefits for you as well, from the pleasant blend of hormonal cocktails to the calories burned.

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:24 am UTC

PeterCai wrote:With the possibility of pregnancy and std, teen sex is undeniably risky, and therefore bad for your kids. It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone who is so interested in sex that they wrote novels about it might influence your children toward teen sex, and therefore might not be such a good role model. They do play a huge role in children's lives.

It is this kind of attitude that has given sex such a bad stigma. Sex is no different between 2 teenagers then it is between two adults, the only reason why such a difference exists now is because people want to "protect the children" and don't teach them safe sex techniques and what "no" means etc. I wouldn't want my kids to learn from a teacher who discourages sex any more than from a teacher who encourages sex, its their damn decision so long as they are well informed and I don't won't them growing up thinking sex is bad or that your a bad person if you have sex (which is what the current school system tends to teach). You damned well can't stop teens from having sex its one of their strongest urges, and you have no grounds to try in the first place.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:58 am UTC

Also, too: Educating kids about contraceptive options has lowered teen pregnancy rates.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:37 am UTC

I propose sex university, obviously.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... education/
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:I propose sex university, obviously.

Disregarding your sarcasm, you should be able to learn everything you need to know about sex from your partner I'd think.
"Nothing but the Rain."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Well, learning by trial and error can lead to some, ahem, costly mistakes.

For example, with condoms, once the guy ejaculates the sex has to end soon, whether or not he still has an erection; otherwise semen can be (slowly) be squished down the condom and enter the vagina. Yeah, wish they had taught me that in health class.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:20 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Well, learning by trial and error can lead to some, ahem, costly mistakes.

For example, with condoms, once the guy ejaculates the sex has to end soon, whether or not he still has an erection; otherwise semen can be (slowly) be squished down the condom and enter the vagina. Yeah, wish they had taught me that in health class.

That, and if the fucker pops when you've already popped, then you got all the reward, but none of the effort. :(

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:41 am UTC

big boss wrote:
Lucrece wrote:I propose sex university, obviously.

Disregarding your sarcasm, you should be able to learn everything you need to know about sex from your partner I'd think.

No, not really. Or at least not if your partner isn't a lot more experienced. And even then, it's not likely to be a exhaustive education. There is some things it's hard to figure out on your own. Such as:

What does 'enthusiastic consent' mean, and why should it be the minimum standard of having sex rather than just consent?
How to avoid pregnancies?
How to avoid STD's?
If introducing toys, which are safe, and how do you use them?
Where do you get tested for STD's? Getting tested between each partner is a really good idea.
When should you start having sex? (answer, when you're ready for it, and not a moment earlier, but if you're ready earlier than your partner, don't pressure them)

Your partner might not know all of those, and even if she/he does, might not be be good at teaching them - or simply not think about their partner not knowing it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:44 am UTC

That, and you don't want to scare a potential partner with a truly atrocious fuck. So making a fool out of yourself with strangers you have no intent of forming relationships with makes for better stepping stones ;p
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 am UTC

I was under the impression from the article that the school was more concerned with stuff like "how to perform oral sex that will amaze your partner" rather than "how to avoid pregnancies and STDs"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Return to “News & Articles”