Your Schedule

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Your Schedule

Postby Hecate » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

I only have four courses decided for sure for Winter semester; it will be my second semester of second year as a pure math major:

Math 3000 - Real Analysis I: Covers proof techniques (this will be my third course in proof techniques; I am not looking forward to this part), sequences, limits and continuity, differentiation. I hear the prof for this course next semester is not great. MWF 9:00 - 9:50

Math 3202 - Vector Calculus: Functions of several variables, vector-valued functions, multiple integration and change of variables, and other such vector calculus related stuff. I really don't know what this course is going to be like, but I don't expect it to be very hard. MTR 1:00 - 1:50

Math 3260 - Ordinary Differential Equations I: Standard ODE stuff (direction fields, linear differential equations, Laplace transforms, systems of differential equations) with applications. This course follows directly from the standard "Calculus" series of courses, so I don't anticipate having too much trouble with it. MWF 12:00 - 12:50

Math 4370 - Number Theory: This course isn't offered very often (It is the second of two difficult and unpopular courses) but I'm hoping to get some of my required senior-level electives out of the way as early as possible. It's not clear what the course actually covers, since the prof who teaches it generally rushes through the actual course content (Continued fractions, Diophantine approximations, selected Diophantine equations, the Dirichlet product of arithmetic functions, the quadratic reciprocity law, and factorization in quadratic domains) and teaches things he finds interesting. TR 3:30 - 4:45

I'm having a hard time deciding on a 5th course to take. I'm considering either Combinatorics, Projective Geometry (3000-level) and Cryptography (4000-level). I'm hoping not to overload myself, so I'm leading more toward combinatorics than anything else, but Cryptography would be nice to have since it's a 4000-level elective, which are hard to come by in my program.
Hecate

Postby Durin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Second Semester Sophomore at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Math 347 Fundamental Mathematics - Proof technique class covering basic set theory, convergence of series, number theory, and other assorted subjects the professor wants to do. The main purpose is learning proofs.

Physics 326 - Classical Mechanics II. i'm pretty excited because our professor plans to include an introduction to General Relativity

Physics 436 Electromagnetic Fields II. More Electrodynamics. Basically the second half of Griffiths Electrodynamics.

Physics 486 Quantum Mechanics I.

CS 125. Introduction to Programming w/ Java. More or less a review of AP CS A, it'll probably end up being a bit of a blow off but the review will be good.

[It's weird to see that my thread is still alive after 3 years, honestly.]
Durin

Postby Kirby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Just about finalized my schedule for Spring 2012:

Discrete Math for Computing II
Probability and Statistics in Computer Science and Software Engineering
Algorithms and Data Structures
C/C++ Programming in a UNIX Environment
Rhetoric
Constitutional Foundations and Political Behavior in the U.S. and Texas
Kirby

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

Ah, yes, Winter registration has gone down. Not exactly what I wanted because of how many classes were being held at the exact same time, frustratingly, but:

Regression Analysis
Transportation System Operations
Fluid Mechanics
Hapkido
Taekwondo
Honors Contract

I'm planning to drop one of the martial arts classes after I get an idea of which I will enjoy more, otherwise I'll be in class from 9 to 3 with no meal break two days a week. Although fluid dynamics is going to be a big lecture so maybe I can eat then.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Obby » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Winter term registration done...

Senior Design II - ECE 492
Power Systems II - ECEP 412
Power Distribution Automation and Control - ECEP 422
Radiation Detection and Control - ECEP 401
Introduction to Renewable Energy - ECEP 490

Aw yeah, all engineering courses. Finally, after so many years, my first term without any of the inane "I'm only in here because there's no other engineering classes I can take and I still need more credits to be full time" classes.

Almost done this term, two more to go before graduation...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby nehpest » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Winter 2012 schedule:

ECE 209L - Network Analysis II Lab. One three-hour lab. Selected laboratory exercises in electrical networks. Product fee required.
ECE 220L - Electronics Lab. One three-hour lab. Experiments dealing with common types of semiconductor devices: Diodes and applications (rectifier, clipper, clamper; MOSFETs & BJTs. Device characterization, biasing and analysis/design of basic configurations. Product fee required.
ECE 306 - Discrete Time Domain Signals & Systems. Four hours lecture. Time and frequency domain analysis of discrete time signals and systems. Waitlisted :(
ECE 320 - Linear Active Circuit Design. Three hours lecture. Small-signal modeling and design of single stage FET and BJT amplifiers using device properties and appropriate device models. Included are gain and input/output impedances; multistage amplifiers; frequency response of AC coupled single-stage amplifier, low and high frequency roll-offs; DC coupled multistage amplifiers. Use of active-load and CMOS for IC aplifiers. Product fee required.
ECE 341 - Intro to Microcontrollers. Three hours lecture. Microcontroller programming, applications, and interfacing.
ECE 400 - "Special Topics for Upper Division Students". Placeholder course because the system won't allow me to properly register for ECE 341L, Microcontroller Lab. One three-hour lab. Microcontroller applications and interfacing.

Thirteen units, assuming I get into the waitlisted class. Going to try for another class when general registration opens up.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag
nehpest

Postby raike » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:29 am UTC

There're a lot of EE's posting here!

Spring 2012 - Junior Year:

ECE 1212: Electronics Lab 2 (5 hours a week)
ECE 1563: Digital Signal Processing Lab (5 hours a week)

ECE 1232: Lasers and Optical Electronics (2.5 hours a week)

ECE 1885: Departmental Seminar (No credit, 1 hour a week, mandatory time-waster class)

ECON 1100: Intermediate Microeconomics (150 minutes a week)
ECON 1110: Intermediate Macroeconomics (150 minutes a week)

MATH 1380: Mathematical Biology (150 minutes a week)

I'm slightly bummed that there're not more math classes on my schedule; I'll probably make up for that next autumn.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)
raike

Postby existential_squirrrel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:23 am UTC

second semester sophomore at DU of C! (at the end, will have enough credits to be a second semester Junior!)

PSY 4016- Psychopharmacology lecture T 1730-2000
CHEM 3900- organic chem 2 lecture MW 925-1040
CHEM 3905- organic chem 2 lab R 1230-1500
CHEM 4200- Spectroscopic analysis lecture T 800-1030
CHEM 4205- Spectroscopic analysis lab R 800-1030
CHEM 4991- Chemistry research methods 3 lab F 1300-1800
PHYS 2100- general physics 2 lecture MW 1600-1715
PHYS 2105- general physics lab W 1800-2030

I get huge breaks of time off to be in the lab working (paid), researching, or doing homework!
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1
existential_squirrrel

Postby Darryl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

My schedule for this semester (Fall of Junior Year) as a transfer was:

MAT 361 - Real Analysis
ENG 112 - College English II (my CC's Freshman Comp. II was transferred as a Poetry, Prose, and Plays course instead)
FYE 140 - Wellness
ACC 101 - Financial Accounting
PE 101 - Smallcraft (my college is on a lake)
THR 263L - Theatre Acting Lab (a.k.a. 1 credit for being in the school's play).

Next semester, right now, assuming my transfer credit SNAFU gets fixed (My Transitions to Abstract Math was transferred in, and is suddenly showing up as an elective):

MAT 340 - Foundations of Geometry
MAT 495 - Senior Seminar (Graph Theory)
ACC 102 - Managerial Accounting
PHY 202/L - Physics II (w/ lab)
And possibly an art elective.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Darryl

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:32 am UTC

Spring 2012:
Only 12 hours (right now) because of my labs taking up afternoon time and my aversion to any more morning classes than possible.
  • P Chem 2
  • Inorganic 1
  • Special topics (as taught by one of the o chem profs)
  • Intro to Modern Phy6
Plus lab assisting and research
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Pilgrimman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

Senior in Mechanical Engineering here:

Winter Term:

Thermodynamics
Advanced Heat Transfer
Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
Control Systems

It should be very interesting.
Pilgrimman

Postby jawdisorder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 am UTC

Sophomore in computer engineering:

Circuit Analysis
Digital System Fundamentals
Intro Solid State Electronics
Intro to Operating Systems
Intro to Python
jawdisorder

Postby B.Good » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:21 am UTC

Second Semester sophomore mathematics major schedule:

Linear Algebra: What I loving refer to as "Proofy linear". Finite dimensional vector spaces, linear transformations and their invariants, inner product spaces, dual spaces, and all that jazz. I didn't get as much out of my first linear algebra class as I would have liked so I am looking forward to this one.

Abstract algebra: Groups, rings, and some fields. I've had some exposure to abstract algebra before and I really liked it so I suspect this class will be a lot of fun.

Combinatorics and graph theory: The whole description of the class is pretty much in its title. I'm primarily taking this class because linear algebra and advanced calculus 2 (real analysis in several variables) conflict and I want to take graduate algebra next year so I'm taking this class. Also I can count it as a computer science class (as my university requires everyone to have two 300 or 400 level classes outside of your major). Also, from what I've heard, this kind of math comes up in programming and computer science in general quite a bit which is probably what I'll do if the whole grad school/becoming an academic thing doesn't work out.

Introduction to coding in Java: It's part of the degree requirement to take a programming course and I thought I would take the most rigorous one for the reason explained in the last sentence of the previous class/paragraph/isolated body of text.

Overall I'm barely a full time student (I am signed up for 13 credits where 12 credits is full time where I am) but they are all rather difficult classes (though I've heard the instructor for combinatorics is rather easy) but I have no classes on Tuesdays or Thursdays! I know I'll need those Monday and Wednesday nights/Tuesday and Thursday mornings to finish all of my work and especially the programming projects!
B.Good

Postby rdnmrsox » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:52 am UTC

Spring 2012 - Sophomore

• Mathematics for Engineering Analysis II
  • Sophomore Clinic II
  • Strength of Materials
  • Mechanical Engineering Lab
  • Principles and Applications of ECE for Nonmajors
  • Discrete Mathematics
  • Introduction to Symbolic Logic

I'm a double major, Mechanical Engineering and I recently declared Math as the second major. The last two classes on that list, Discrete Math and Symbolic Logic, are both freshman math major courses here at the university, however I just declared the second major this past semester so I have some catching up to do. 22 credits is not going to be enjoyable, but hopefully it pays off in the long run. Did I mention I've also been graced to have 8:00 AMs Monday through Friday?
rdnmrsox

Postby ex-kgb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

Winter Term, 2012, Freshman (tentative schedule) 50 units, planned ChE major

Math 1b Practical Track
Physics 1b Analytical Track
Chemistry 1b
L172b, Intermediate Chinese (not sure if I'm qualified for this class yet. If I'm not, I'll probably go with CS21)
Humanities/Philosophy 009 "Right and Wrong"
ChE10 "Frontiers in Chemical Engineering"
BE1 "Frontiers in Bioengineering"
Last edited by ex-kgb on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ex-kgb

Postby existentialpanda » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:53 am UTC

For winter term, sophomore year:

Math 2b, Probability and Statistics
Phys 2b, Statistical Physics
Chem 41b, Organic Chemistry
Bio 117, Developmental Biology
History 195, "Medicine, Magic, and Miracle" (about medieval medicine)

Plus tai chi and orchestra. 51 units, nothing at all after 11 on MWF. And after next term, I will be done with physics forever. (assuming I pass) Huzzah.

(exkgb, have fun with ch1b :twisted: Muahahaha.)
existentialpanda

Postby llamanaru » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Pass/Pass frosh err, respected member of Caltech, right?

Math 1b Practical Track
Physics 1b Practical Track
Chemistry 1b
CS 21 Decidability and Tractability
CS 2 Programming Methods
llamanaru

Postby KestrelLowing » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

Alrighty, third to last semester of mechanical engineering undergrad:

Senior Design I (the senior project at my school lasts for 2 semesters)
Distributed Embedded Control Systems (Tech elective)
Mechanical Engineering Laboratory (Basically a catch-all for lab-based stuff)
Product Realization II (More of combining things like mechanics, dynamics, and stuff together)
Economic Decision Analysis (Econ for engineers)

This is only 13 credits, so that's nice. After this semester, I'll have everything I need to graduate except for Senior Design II, so I think I'll use senior rule to get a head start on grad school.
KestrelLowing

Postby DasEengineer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

Final 2 weeks of my EE degree!

CS 230 Computer Science Fundamentals II [computer elective]
EE456 Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
EE471 Remote Sensing [tech elective]
EN408 Tech Writing
SS351 Ethics

Total of 15 credits, plus working 40+ hours/week plus around 10-30 hours of OT/month. *sigh* I've got to be crazy to do this to myself... and this isn't even the worst semester I've had! On the bright side, I'm going to finish my degree in 3 years while getting paid AND getting work to pay for most of my classes!
DasEengineer

Postby coyotebush » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Winter quarter, first year as a CS major:

CPE 225 Intro to Computer Organization (assembly language programming!)
ENGL 149 Technical Writing for Engineers
PHYS 132 General Physics II (waves, optics, thermodynamics; expensive textbook...)
PSY 201 General Psychology
HNRS 299 Honors Group Seminar
(to accompany Psychology; the class will be creating/overhauling a Wikipedia page on some psychology topic)

for a total of 17 units.
coyotebush

Postby Darryl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Update to next semester's schedule, due to a class being moved:

MAT 350 - Foundations of Geometry
MAT 405 - Senior Seminar: Graph Theory
ACC 102 - Managerial Accounting
CMP 225 - Intro to Databases
PHY 202 - Physics II (at 8 AM MWF, ew. And my only morning class.)
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Darryl

Postby pizzazz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Winter quarter is coming!

Econ 20100--Elements of Economic Analysis-2: Second quarter of intermediate microeconomics.
German 10200--Elementary German for Beginners-2: Self explanatory
Math 208--Honors Analysis in Rn-2: aka Fucking hell is this class hard
PBPL--(public policy) 27040--Public Finance and Public Policy: Also fairly self explanatory
pizzazz

Postby raike » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 am UTC

Just made a change after discovering one of the courses I signed up for wasn't quite what I was hoping, and after figuring out that if I stayed for a fourth year, I'd be able to get all of the Math Major and School of Arts and Sciences requirements done (in addition to the EE stuff).

Spring 2012 - Second Year:

ECE 1212: Electronics Lab 2 (5 hours a week)
ECE 1563: Digital Signal Processing Lab (5 hours a week)
ECE 1232: Lasers and Optical Electronics (2.5 hours a week)
ECE 1885: Departmental Seminar (No credit, 1 hour a week, mandatory time-waster class)
ECON 1100: Intermediate Microeconomics (150 minutes a week)
ECON 1110: Intermediate Macroeconomics (150 minutes a week)
MATH 1700: Topology (150 minutes a week)

Even though I now have class on Friday, I like this schedule better.
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)
raike

Postby lanicita » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 am UTC

2nd semester of grad school:

ED 221 1st Year Seminar in School Psychology Practice
ED 243 Assessment of Cognitive Abilities (learning how to administer IQ tests)
ED 245 Social and Emotional Development in Childhood and Adolescence
ED 249 Multicultural Theory, Research, and Practice
ED 274 Methods of School Psychology Research

So not looking forward to the heavy research focus this semester.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
lanicita
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby Catmando » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 am UTC

Junior in high school:

1. English III
This is a nice class, if a little slow. The teacher loves me. It's pretty easy, but I keep getting stupid grades (e.g. 3 questions missed on a really easy test I could've aced). My grade is still an A, though, so it's not like I have anything to complain about.
2. Chemistry
I hate the tests in this class. I've got a solid B right now, which I can definitely bring up to an A- or an A by the end of the quarter. The rest of the class is easy—besides the tests, we just have lots of notes and some experiments.
3. Web Development
This is a joke. Seriously. The teacher doesn't know anything about Web Development and we learn nothing either. We're currently working with some 3D animation program called "Alice." We also have to make websites for the school's sports teams, which either look horrible or better than the school's actual website, depending on which ones you look at. We also recently had a "really hard test" that we "all need to study for or we'll fail." It was four pages and the easiest test in the class yet. Some of the questions were really stupid, though—the day before the test, we had to review and she asked me to explain to the class in simplest terms the difference between two methods, VehicleTo and Orient to or something like that. I did, and she told us to know that and it would be important. On the test, she asked us if they were essentially the same thing, true or false—everyone answered false and it was apparently true. So yeah, nice job, teach.
4. Theology III
I go to a private Catholic school, so these classes are required. The class is easy and the teacher likes me.
5. Study Hall
This is where I do all my Pre-Cal homework, since that's basically the only homework I have. It's a really nice class.
6. Pre-Calculus
Good teacher, easy class. The only trouble is all the people asking for help in that class. I spend most of my time helping other people rather than doing my own work, since I can do that in study hall.
7. Spanish III
The teacher likes me and the class is really easy.
8. AP Government
The teacher likes me and the class is fairly easy. The tests can be a pain, though. I don't study for them, but I do always listen in class and do the homework. I've got a powerpoint due, actually—I should probably do that soon....
Catmando

Postby Rise413 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:23 am UTC

High school junior:
AP U.S. History- Not my favorite subject, but the teacher is one of my favorite teachers
AP Language and Composition- Hate this class, because I hate my teacher
Pre-AP Physics - Favorite class, great teacher
(Lunch and study hall)
Band- I don't really like band that much anymore, but it's not like I have anything better to replace it with
Honors World History- because my school doesn't offer AP World History for some reason?
Pre-AP Precalculus- Great class, great teacher (who also teaches AP Calc)
Rise413

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

PSY 4016- Psychopharmacology lecture T 1730-2000
CHEM 3900- organic chem 2 lecture MW 925-1040
CHEM 3905- organic chem 2 lab R 1230-1500
CHEM 4200- Spectroscopic analysis lecture T 800-1030
CHEM 4205- Spectroscopic analysis lab R 800-1030
CHEM 4991- Chemistry research methods 3 lab F 1300-1800
PHYS 2100- general physics 2 lecture MW 1600-1715
PHYS 2105- general physics lab W 1800-2030

adding two more classes:
HBRW 1001- beginning Hebrew
and something else- most likely guitar class
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1
existential_squirrrel

Postby lucrezaborgia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 am UTC

The Modern Middle East

American Colonial History

The Oneida Nation

Foundations of Western Culture (required class that will bore me to death)

World Civilizations (IE- here have some more Western culture shoved down your throat. Also required)

World Art
lucrezaborgia

Postby ex-kgb » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 am UTC

Caltech third term frosh (on grades now...) Spring 2012:

Ph1c Analytical (Magnetism)
Ma1c Practical (Multivariable Calculus)
AH55 Art of the 19th Century
H112 The Vikings
ESE1 Intro to Environmental Science
PE48 Taichi

existentialpanda: how is Taichi by the way? I haven't taken a PE class yet here.
ex-kgb

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:43 am UTC

Lab, Lab, Lab, overdue projects, and an 08:00 class. Not even time for ethanol.

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:54 am UTC

Oh right, I meant to post here when my schedule was finalized. I'm a sophomore studying Philosophy. I have:

Phil 168: Kant's Ethical Theory
Phil 144: Logic and Philosophy (Not actually a Phil class at all. A math class about the incompleteness theorems, Turing machines, and Tarski's theory of truth.)
Phil 97: Sophomore Tutorial (Mine is about human nature.)
CS 51: Introduction to Computer Science II (In particular, functional programming (OCaml), abstraction and design considerations.)
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby nehpest » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 am UTC

Spring Quarter 2012 - mired in junior-level EEng. This will start in about 4 weeks.

ECE 302 - Electromagnetic Fields. Maxwell’s equations and electromagnetic concepts. Introduction to static and time varying fields; plane waves, boundary conditions, and transmission line equations. Applications to analog and digital circuits. 4 lectures/problem-solving.
ECE 307 - Network Analysis III. Frequency selective and two-port networks in the complex frequency domain. Fourier series and fourier transforms with applications to circuit analysis. Product fee required. 3 lectures/problem-solving.
ECE 315 - Probability, Statistics, and Random Processes for Electrical and Computer Engineering. Concept of probability, statistics, random variables, and random processes. Analysis of random signals through linear time invariant systems. 4 lectures/problem-solving.
ECE 542 - Digital Image Processing. Basic concepts in digital image processing such as point, algebraic, geometric operations, discrete Fourier transforms, and wavelet transforms, and applications such as image restoration, image compression, and pattern recognition. 4 lectures/problem-solving. Prerequisite: upper division courses in probability theory and digital signal processing.

I'm stoked about image processing - the professor is personable and knowledgeable, and the material is going to be challenging; as an added bonus, I'm pretty sure I can get elective credit for it. I'm waitlisting EM Fields, and might not get it (which sucks, as it's a critical path course for me). I'm decidedly UNexcited about the probability class, but that's largely because of the reputation the instructor has around the department.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag
nehpest

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

Hmm, let's see. I can't actually remember what I registered for so I'll have to look it up...

Mechanics of Materials
Engineering Hydraulics & Hydraulics Lab
Spatial Data Analysis
Professional Responsibilities of Engineers
Hapkido (again)
Honors Contract (again... probably)

Should be a fairly straightforward semester, I think, if a little boring.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Apoapsis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am UTC

I'm a freshman, so my schedule isn't as spectacular as some higher level courses, but worth posting.

Sophomore schedule:
English 2
Advanced Math (Next rung after Alg 2)
AP European History
Chemistry
German 2
Accounting 1
PE 2 (semester)
Computer Programming 1 (semester)
Apoapsis

Postby nehpest » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 am UTC

nehpest wrote:Spring Quarter 2012 - mired in junior-level EEng. This will start in about 4 weeks.

ECE 302 - Electromagnetic Fields. Maxwell’s equations and electromagnetic concepts. Introduction to static and time varying fields; plane waves, boundary conditions, and transmission line equations. Applications to analog and digital circuits. 4 lectures/problem-solving.
ECE 307 - Network Analysis III. Frequency selective and two-port networks in the complex frequency domain. Fourier series and fourier transforms with applications to circuit analysis. Product fee required. 3 lectures/problem-solving.
ECE 315 - Probability, Statistics, and Random Processes for Electrical and Computer Engineering. Concept of probability, statistics, random variables, and random processes. Analysis of random signals through linear time invariant systems. 4 lectures/problem-solving.
ECE 542 - Digital Image Processing. Basic concepts in digital image processing such as point, algebraic, geometric operations, discrete Fourier transforms, and wavelet transforms, and applications such as image restoration, image compression, and pattern recognition. 4 lectures/problem-solving. Prerequisite: upper division courses in probability theory and digital signal processing.

I'm stoked about image processing - the professor is personable and knowledgeable, and the material is going to be challenging; as an added bonus, I'm pretty sure I can get elective credit for it. I'm waitlisting EM Fields, and might not get it (which sucks, as it's a critical path course for me). I'm decidedly UNexcited about the probability class, but that's largely because of the reputation the instructor has around the department.

I almost forgot the online courses I'm taking!

CS 373 - Udacity - Programming A Robotic Car. This class, taught by one of the foremost experts in AI, will teach you basic methods in Artificial Intelligence, including: probabilistic inference, computer vision, machine learning, and planning, all with a focus on robotics. Extensive programming examples and assignments will apply these methods in the context of building self-driving cars. You will get a chance to visit, via video, the leading research labs in the field, and meet the scientists and engineers who are building self-driving cars at Stanford and Google.Prerequisites: The instructor will assume solid knowledge of programming, all programming will be in Python. Knowledge of probability and linear algebra will be helpful.

6.002x - MITx - 6.002 is designed to serve as a first course in an undergraduate electrical engineering (EE), or electrical engineering and computer science (EECS) curriculum. At MIT, 6.002 is in the core of department subjects required for all undergraduates in EECS. The course introduces the fundamentals of the lumped circuit abstraction. Topics covered include: resistive elements and networks; independent and dependent sources; switches and MOS transistors; digital abstraction; amplifiers; energy storage elements; dynamics of first- and second-order networks; design in the time and frequency domains; and analog and digital circuits and applications. Design and lab exercises are also significant components of the course.

Both are online; both should be awesome learning opportunities :D

blag
nehpest

Postby stolid » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:36 am UTC

Signing up for next semester's classes soon. I am a Computer Engineering major and a sophomore next semester.

Fall 2012
CSCE 2004 Programming Foundations I - I think we stick to functional programming in this class, using C++.
CSCE 2114 Digital Design - Basically an introduction to circuits, I think.
MATH 2574 Calculus III - Oh joy.
PHYS 2074 University Physics II - Even more joy...

Sadly my schedule leaves me no room to take a Spanish class for my minor, but there's enough spots in the following semesters to get it done. I just hate taking a break from it though.
Registered Linux User #555399
stolid

Postby aldonius » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 am UTC

Fresher ~o~

Engineering/Science dual degree, plan to be EE and Maths majors respectively.

Courses (semester-length and all of an introductory nature, obviously):

Calculus & Linear Algebra 1 (compulsory, formal recap of highschool level topics ... vectors and matrices up to eigenvectors/values, calculus up to Taylor series and L'Hopital)
Engineering Design (compulsory, based around a team build project - emphasis on learning communication and systems design skills)
Introduction to Software Engineering 1 (intro to programming mindset - uses python - up to classes and simple gui, and recursion/lambda)
Introduction to Electrical Systems (AC and DC circuit theory fundamentals, the simpler network theorems, behaviour of passive and some active components)
aldonius

Postby Chuff » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:13 am UTC

Second Semester Frosh
Intro to Women's, Gender, Sexuality Studies
History of Europe in the 20th Century
Differential Equations
French Language 4
Intro to International Relations

Weee! I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life!
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.
Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Not sure exact timing, but will include

Instrumental Analysis
Inorganic 2
Philosophy or Religion gen ed
Research
Maths?

(senior chem major)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Whammy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:56 am UTC

Currently Expected Schedule for Fall Semester 2012:

MWF:
-Politics and Mass Media: Hooray cross-department classes! Too bad they couldn't get it co-taught like they wanted to though =P. 9:00 class, not that of a time though
-Intro to Political Theory: Last required class for my major and first time in a while taught on campus (I despise online classes =P). All depends on the teacher getting rehired though...I think. Not sure XD.

TR:
-Interest Groups: Longer title, can't remember. Still, class about interest groups and politics and lobbyists. Fun for me!
-Politics in the American States: Just because. May possibly drop it...
-Social Psychology: Starting off my psychology minor electives. Very useful for my poli sci interests (hopefully)

Possibly might drop the American States and do Money and Banking for my Economics minor. It's online, but I need 3 more classes for it to finish and it looks like they always offer electives as online courses so I really have no choice =P.
Whammy

PreviousNext

Return to School