Mac vs PC

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Mac or PC?

Mac (any Apple or associated OS, no linux)
32%
Windows (any Windows OS)
68%

Total votes : 244

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 am UTC

arclight wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:The way I see it there are generally a few types of Mac people.
1) The programmer/hacker (in a good way) type of people who use Mac because it's UNIX, but don't want to deal with the fact that Linux can randomly break sometimes.
2) The people who use it because they want a system more stable than Windows but don't want to learn Linux/have software they need to use that doesn't run on Linux.
3) The people who think that it's cool and want to be in the cool crowd/think that because it's absurdly more expensive it must be better/cooler/haha, I can afford this and you can't therefore I'm more awesome than you.

I'm guessing most people here fall into the first 2 categories.

I would like to add one group to your list. There are those who buy and use Macs because they are easier to use. (I know some elderly people who swear by the simple GUI)

Very true. I guess people like that and Steak sort of fall into category 2.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby troyp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

This is something of a digression, but to return the topic of Apple trackpads: has anyone used an Apple Magic Touch with Ubuntu? There're supposed to be drivers for it now (although still fairly new), and I'd love one of those trackpads.
troyp

Postby arclight » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

troyp wrote:This is something of a digression, but to return the topic of Apple trackpads: has anyone used an Apple Magic Touch with Ubuntu? There're supposed to be drivers for it now (although still fairly new), and I'd love one of those trackpads.

Best of luck getting support for that.
arclight

Previous

Return to Religious Wars