Fixed link to current comic would be handy...

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Fixed link to current comic would be handy...

Postby ScottM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Oddish request... I'd like there to exist a simple, fixed url which always fetches the current comic image. Something along the lines of
img.xkcd.com/recent.png
My reason for this is that I want to write code to hit this link every 4 days (getting a different image each time) and use the bits of the fetched image to permute the state of a PRNG.

I know I could do this with the existing JSON url, but it's easier (for me) if I can do it in one fetch. (But I'm not... lazy).

I do not need a carefully worded explanation that anyone who writes his own PRNG code, AND wants to seed it with xkcd, has compounded his geekishness to a worrisome extent. I know. What makes it all worse is that the PRNG output is used in a roleplay game. (Yes, I know. The drugs don't actually help. Thanks.) I also know there are many webcams out there that provide much better sources of unpredictability; I'm already using some. But without xkcd, it just doesn't feel like I've pushed the concept to the maximum possible point.

(Of course, if I can ask for
xkcd.com/hashRecent
returning a sequence of digits representing a hash of the current comic, that'd be great, too. But then I'd at least like a discussion of which hash algorithm would be most suitable for this sort of art. :D Thanks!)
ScottM

Re: Fixed link to current comic would be handy...

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 am UTC

Maybe someone who compounded his geekishness to a worrisome extent can parse the HTML response from xkcd.com and extract the image link. Maybe.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!
theGoldenCalf;

Postby Zarq » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Just checked, the comic link is the only link of the form "http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/.*"

Indeed not difficult to extract.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby phlip » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:45 am UTC

Ew, no, don't parse the HTML, the JSON is there for a reason. Exactly why that's not sufficient for the OP's purposes is unclear.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby davean » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 am UTC

And the JSON contains the rest of the comic info. There is more to a comic then just an image.
davean
Site Ninja

Return to Site/Forum issues