Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:50 am UTC

There are five rather excellent shorts circulating from the most recent DVD box set. They were on YouTube, but the BBC made them go away. Here's some Megaupload links I found instead:

No. Illegal filesharing has no place on these fora. -Lanicita
Jorpho

Postby Game_boy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Story in Private Eye, they seem to be making this a thing as I've seen 4 anti-BBC Doctor Who articles in it this past year.

- Moffat not told about complete reboot movie because it was one of the things he objected to when he joined.
- They're going to replace the unofficial convention with an official one at more than double the entry price as well as charging for autographs (the latter of which they backed down on).

(The earlier articles were about bad scheduling and incompetent management meaning few or no episodes were to air in 2013 - partly confirmed since)
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Postby keozen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

The convention thing seems legit:

OFFICIAL WHO CONVENTION

Entry is £99 (for DAY entry, not for the two day weekend)

Autograph opportunities are £25 a piece.

The pricing is atrocious. I've been working the con scene for 18 months now with my comic and entry fees for cons in the UK are usually WAY below this and the ones that aren't tend to be full weekend cons and include at least one autograph.
keozen
I posted in the custom title thread and all I got was this lousy placeholder.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

eek! I've never been to a convention, I generally stick to the cheap-to-free things like Collectormania, you know you'll see at least Colin Baker at those things

Postby SANTARII » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

Talking about cross overs...
I sort of want to see a Buffy cross-over with Dr Who.
Mostly because, in my head, the Gentlemen are Silent-Human hybrids.
Insert witty comment.

Such a cliché.
SANTARII

Postby Whelan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

The Doctor does actually pop up in the background in Season 8 a few times.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.
Whelan

Postby xkcd follower » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:31 am UTC

I found a quote in the book 1984 by George Orwell. The quote goes as follows:

Here comes a candle to light you to bed, And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!

I remembered seeing that in the Doctor Who Episode "The God Complex". I wonder what other quotes and things I've missed over the years.

Spoiler:
Here comes a candle to light you to bed, here comes a chopper to chop off your head. Chop, chop, chop, chop, chop. -man who was gambler tied in chair
"Religion is the Opiate of the Masses"- Karl Marx

That means we need a cure... Or go Cold Turkey.
xkcd follower

Postby mister k » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 am UTC

Orwell is quoting oranges and lemons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranges_and_Lemons
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.
mister k

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 am UTC

SANTARII wrote:Talking about cross overs...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one to think of this. I really want to see Joss Whedon guest direct an episode.
mercutio_stencil

Postby ConMan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

mister k wrote:Orwell is quoting oranges and lemons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranges_and_Lemons

Which is one of those children's rhymes that is nice and creepy and so is easy to work into stories to add something extra - just like the old "now I lay me down to sleep" one.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Link » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:
SANTARII wrote:Talking about cross overs...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one to think of this. I really want to see Joss Whedon guest direct an episode.

The world would explode in a fangasmic squeecano!

--

So anyway, two ancient episodes have been recovered! It's amazing that tapes still turn up after all that time. Now let's hope the remaining 106 episodes can be recovered or reconstructed some day.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:48 am UTC

cool, i've always hoped they ecover more eisodes.

Postby Joeldi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 am UTC

YES! I was beginning to worry we'd found every episode we were ever going to (until someone had a TARDIS, anyway). I heard tell of a lifesize Dalek given to anyone who found missing footage. They following through with that?
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby big boss » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:29 am UTC

So apparently they just got rid of the film reels after the shows aired in the 60s? That doesn't make any sense.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:37 am UTC

big boss wrote:So apparently they just got rid of the film reels after the shows aired in the 60s? That doesn't make any sense.

i believe some of it got recycled to save money, some was incinerated because it was expensive to store, back then they had no idea that VHS, and the invention of "reruns" was going to change they way people watched television, as far as they were concerned once it was aired it was worthless, especially considering they probably didn't realise how popular it was going to be in the future.

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 am UTC

big boss wrote:So apparently they just got rid of the film reels after the shows aired in the 60s? That doesn't make any sense.

i believe some of it got recycled to save money, some was incinerated because it was expensive to store, back then they had no idea that VHS, and the invention of "reruns" was going to change they way people watched television, as far as they were concerned once it was aired it was worthless, especially considering they probably didn't realise how popular it was going to be in the future.

Plus I'm pretty sure there was a warehouse fire at one point that destroyed episodes and props from Doctor Who and Monte Python's Flying Circus.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy
animeHrmIne

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am UTC

Between approximately 1967 and 1978, large quantities of material stored in the BBC's Engineering department (videotape) and film libraries were destroyed or wiped to make way for newer programmes.[3] This happened for a number of reasons, the primary one being the belief that there was no reason for the material to be kept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who ... Background

Postby pi(e)lover » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

News from the BBC about the next series:
pi(e)lover

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

pi(e)lover wrote:News from the BBC about the next series:

Spoiler:
that was pretty obvious, I'm pretty sure River will take over as permanent companion afterwards, since the "ponds" were never mentioned in the synopsis for the Eternity Clock

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 am UTC

pi(e)lover wrote:News from the BBC about the next series:

Spoiler:
that was pretty obvious, I'm pretty sure River will take over as permanent companion afterwards, since the "ponds" were never mentioned in the synopsis for the Eternity Clock

Spoiler:
Maybe not, the link said that the new companion hasn't been cast yet. Of course, that could just mean a different incarnation of River, but I think/hope that the River Song arc will be wrapped up, and something new will begin.
I blog about Doctor Who, and other things!
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this
torontoraptor

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:15 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:...

Spoiler:
Maybe not, the link said that the new companion hasn't been cast yet. Of course, that could just mean a different incarnation of River, but I think/hope that the River Song arc will be wrapped up, and something new will begin.

As far as River's appearance
Spoiler:
There isn't going to be a new incarnation of her because she dies in her first appearance.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.
sugarhyped

Postby Whelan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Spoiler:
Unless there's one between "Girl in the Spacesuit" and Mels that we don't know about.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.
Whelan

Postby Joeldi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 am UTC

As if they couldn't find a way to bring River out of the Library and back into a body - I'm sure she was only half killed off to give them that option. Or if, through some bullshit, timelords can reverse-generate and we see a new River who then goes back to being Alex somehow. Wouldn't be the first time shit like that's happened.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby Jesse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'd like to see the return of the (Indian?) woman from the Minotaur episode. She was awesome.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am UTC

Jesse wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd like to see the return of the (Indian?) woman from the Minotaur episode. She was awesome.

I think she was muslim. There may have been a don't think I'm a terrorist line, so not indian. I did like her.
sugarhyped

Postby Kewangji » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:06 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Spoiler:

I think she was muslim. There may have been a don't think I'm a terrorist line, so not indian. I did like her.

Did you … did you just use 'muslim' as a denomination of ethnicity? :?:
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:16 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Rita: This is Jahannam.
The Doctor: You're a Muslim!
Rita: Don't be frightened.

However, the actress who plays Rita is of Sri Lankan Tamil descent.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Jesse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

That was it, Sri Lankan! I knew it wasn't Indian, because I'd looked it up when she first appeared, but could not remember her ancestry at all. Knew it was cricket-related though. Anyway, I'd love to see her as a companion.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby sugarhyped » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:Did you … did you just use 'muslim' as a denomination of ethnicity? :?:

Sorry, I'm awful. I just know indians are rarely muslim. Although I have little knowledge of sri lanka, I'm surprised that's what she was. I would have expected further west.
sugarhyped

Postby AvatarIII » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Did you … did you just use 'muslim' as a denomination of ethnicity? :?:

Sorry, I'm awful. I just know indians are rarely muslim. Although I have little knowledge of sri lanka, I'm surprised that's what she was. I would have expected further west.

Indian is both a nationality and an ethnicity, I believe. It's true that very few indian nationals are muslim, but many muslims are ethnically indian.

Postby crowey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:50 am UTC

in 2001 about 13% of Indian nationals were Muslim. While that is a definite minority compared to the 80% that are Hindu, it's still quite a lot of people.
crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby AvatarIII » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:56 am UTC

crowey wrote:in 2001 about 13% of Indian nationals were Muslim. While that is a definite minority compared to the 80% that are Hindu, it's still quite a lot of people.

I didn't realise it was that much. considering India has a pretty big population, 13% of a billion is still 130m, or slightly more than double the population of the UK.

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

crowey wrote:in 2001 about 13% of Indian nationals were Muslim. While that is a definite minority compared to the 80% that are Hindu, it's still quite a lot of people.

I didn't realise it was that much. considering India has a pretty big population, 13% of a billion is still 130m, or slightly more than double the population of the UK.

I think such is its size, there are more Muslims in India than in Pakistan.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby AvatarIII » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:

I think such is its size, there are more Muslims in India than in Pakistan.

not quite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... population

Country, Muslim Population, Muslim Percentage of Population, Percentage of world Muslim population
India........160,945,000..........13.4.........................................10.3
Pakistan...174,082,000...........96.3.........................................11.1

Postby xkcd follower » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:28 am UTC

And anyone else excited for the Christmas episode besides me? I think we should move the subject of religion to another thread and not a thread that is next to godliness in its material (basically, anything with time travel is godliness)
"Religion is the Opiate of the Masses"- Karl Marx

That means we need a cure... Or go Cold Turkey.
xkcd follower

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

It was more about statistics in my mind.

And yes it I'm excited. It's the only show I watch that has a new episode coming out this week so it gets brownie points for that alone.
sugarhyped

Postby ArgonV » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:16 am UTC

I missed the Christmas special tonight. Given the lack of discussion, I haven't missed much?
ArgonV

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:25 am UTC

It was... okay.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby Link » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:49 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:It was... okay.

This, pretty much. I thought it lacked some suspense that may well have been there if the episode had been longer. Of course, it was (A) Doctor Who and (B) Christmassy, and those two facts alone give a real head-start to making good TV, but if you look beyond that, it was pretty much So Okay It's Average -- especially compared to other Moffat episodes.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Plus it was a bit wibbly on the science stuff. "pure life force" indeed.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows