Psychology question?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Psychology question?

Postby FrancisDrake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Hello XKCD geniuses, I'm having a problem with this question and would enjoy all feedback to add to my own answers.

There is a high correlation between the IQ scores of parents and children. Is this due to genetics or environment? How could you tell?
"What I thought I'd do was, I thought I'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes"-J.D. Salinger
FrancisDrake

Re: Psychology question?

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Tell us what your own answers are, so we can be sure we're not just doing your homework for you.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:57 am UTC

Look into any studies that have to separate nature from nurture - this isn't really a psychology question, it's one of a scientific method used for things ranging from mental issues to things like juvenile diabetes.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby FrancisDrake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

I think I found the answer. IQ is highly heritable so it's genes, however it is also Environment; children learn and score higher in school, if they are raised in a stable well educated environment. Also, they can test the theory if they study the performance of children who are adopted into a family than compare them to their biological parents. Also, they could study the differences between the biological children and the adoptive children in the same environment. Also, they can study the difference between Twins raised apart in different environments.
"What I thought I'd do was, I thought I'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes"-J.D. Salinger
FrancisDrake

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 am UTC

FrancisDrake wrote:Is this due to genetics or environment?

Yes and yes.

How is this thread School-related?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Yakk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

That confounds the environment of the "womb" with genetics, by the way. :)

In addition, twin studies have a problem in that twins are not like other children. Twins tend to have a number of problems more often than non-twins (various cognitive problems are more common).

As an example of how this could easily confound a twin study, suppose everyone has 100 IQ, except for people with a particular condition. 5% of the general population has this condition, as well as 10% of twins. If one twin has it, both twins have it. It is caused by insufficient resources during fetal development. The effect of this condition is that it drops your IQ to 80.

Despite genetics having zero impact on IQ in this model, you'll find a strong correlation between twin IQ raised apart.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby FrancisDrake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:34 am UTC

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
FrancisDrake

Return to School