Metal

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Metal

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
Gravy wrote:Hey hey hey. It's always good to see other people interested in metal.

Anyone like The Human Abstract? Their new album Digital Veil is probably my album of the year. The Black Dahlia Murder put out a killer album also, so maybe it's a tie. But then again, so did BTBAM, Animals as Leaders, etc. etc. etc. I can't post url's yet, but here is the link anyway: http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Digital+Veil/5818524
You know, recognition that you're bein' a rebel and breakin' all the rules is often enough for me to let it slide. 'Cause it means you took the time to read the rules, and reading the rules should always be rewarded. Like me making it clickable somehow. Huh. I wonder how I did that? -ST
It's some damn good progressive neo-classical yada yada yada metal.

Listened to the first song so far and the start of the second. I really liked the first one. The second one is promising, although a little less likely to be a band I can recommend to my Nightwish and HB loving friends.

EDIT: the fadeout for Digital Veil was the most appropriate fade-out ever. (Maybe a slight exaggeration).

I love Nightwish (at least the older stuff) and this is amazing. Parts of it reminds me of Still Remains, especially in Faust and Antebellum.

I always read Still Remains as a noun, not a verb. As in Stiff Corpses, not Currently Lasting. Maybe I'm macabre, maybe they wanted it that way.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby 1337geek » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

If you like Nightwish and similar groups, check out DesDemon.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig
1337geek

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

So I have fallen in love with this Finnish/Swedish "power/death" metal band (according to Wikipedia) called Amaranthe. It has the female singer to suit my love of symphonic metal and it has this awesome screamer to fit my love of metalcore. So imagine After Forever + All That Remains with the hint of Kamelot thrown in there. It's seriously awesome.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:So I have fallen in love with this Finnish/Swedish "power/death" metal band (according to Wikipedia) called Amaranthe. It has the female singer to suit my love of symphonic metal and it has this awesome screamer to fit my love of metalcore. So imagine After Forever + All That Remains with the hint of Kamelot thrown in there. It's seriously awesome.

I'm going to have to check them out, sounds just like my cup of tea. Although my favourite Metalcore band is Chimaira, how do they compare?

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:So I have fallen in love with this Finnish/Swedish "power/death" metal band (according to Wikipedia) called Amaranthe. It has the female singer to suit my love of symphonic metal and it has this awesome screamer to fit my love of metalcore. So imagine After Forever + All That Remains with the hint of Kamelot thrown in there. It's seriously awesome.

I'm going to have to check them out, sounds just like my cup of tea. Although my favourite Metalcore band is Chimaira, how do they compare?

Not as heavy. Y'know, since they have all those other elements in there, they don't focus on the screaming like a real metalcore band. But coming from the world of symphonic where I lived for so long, really good screaming in a band with a girl singer (other than the ones where the girls scream) is hard to come by. So it's closer to power metal, but like I said, the screaming reminds me of All That Remains.
UniqueScreenname

Postby blackened45 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

hey guys! i think i belong in this thread. lol.

so i see there's a lot of mixed metal fans here, that's nice. i am a fan of metal in general too, but i consider myself residing towards extreme metal, anything Death metal, Grindcore and anything and everything in between. right now, i am in tuned for Technical Death Metal and Brutal Death Metal, or a mash of both.

some bands here are, i'll try not to mention bands that are already on others list so you can try to listen to them.

TDM: warning- this is intense stuff, not for the fainters
Necrophagist
Brain Drill
Anomalous
Spawn Of Possession
Psycroptic
Dying Fetus

BDM:
Devourment
Disgorge
Down From The Wound
Internal Bleeding
Bloodsoaked
Skinless

Grindcore and anything in between.
Misery Index
Mortician
Anal Cunt
Cock And Ball Torture
Intestinal Alien Reflux

those are some on the top of my head.
hope you find something you like in my partial list.

cheers!
blackened45

Postby Amie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:30 am UTC

blackened45 wrote:Psycroptic
Dying Fetus

<3

Welcome! I'd also like to add Decapitated to that list.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby blackened45 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

yeah! that's my partial list bu hey nice, Decapitated is awesome! but, i just hate new members replacing old one, especially if the ex member is very skilled, although the band needs to move forward since Vitek is dead. but i just wished they get a better drummer, not to diss the kid, but there's more talent out there.
blackened45

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname

Postby Deep_Thought » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

Bah, they've already done the lead singer swap once, so if any band can come through it, Killswitch can. I started listening to them when Jesse was still singing, so I've always preferred his voice over Howard's even if the latter is technically a better singer.

I didn't buy the 2009 album. I thought the two previous were a bit too similar sounding and that they had started to repeat themselves a bit. Maybe a new singer will mix things up?

EDIT: So they've gone with getting Jesse Leach back. I am mildly happy and hopeful with this development.

IN ADDITION: I went to see Mastodon supported by Dillinger Escape Plan on Saturday. So, so much fun. Especially the Mastodon balloons during "Creature Lives" :twisted:
Deep_Thought

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am UTC

Hello, thread. Guess who saw Opeth live? :P Mikael can growl, throat infection or not. Also, he's fucking funny. No surprises there seeing as how he is a stand-up comedian.

Also, does any one have recos for bands that are similar to Orange Goblin?
Amie

Postby Scotto123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

Meshuggah is beast. Periphery is pretty damn sweet as well.

However, it's a toss-up between Opeth and Iron Maiden for me.

I kind of lost interest with Metallica and Megadeth when I hit 21.
Scotto123

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Also, does any one have recos for bands that are similar to Orange Goblin?

I'm not really familar with their material, but I know they're stoner rock/metal so I'll just rec some of that.

-Red Fang (Besides being sweet, they also make hilarious videos)
-Colour Haze (psychadelic stoner rock)
-Electric Wizard (Rifftastic stoner metal)
-Black Pyramid
-Bongzilla
-Karma to Burn (Stoner rock)
-Giant Squid (Progressive stoner/post-metal)
-Five Horse Johnson (Bluesy stoner/desert rock, you should thank Mighty Jalapeno, he linked me to this.)
-Brainoil (Sludge/stoner/facemelting metal)
-Baroness
-Ataxia (Spaced out stoner rock by John Frusciate (ex-RHCP) and Josh Clingoffer or something, now in RHCP)
-Nether Regions (worth just for the glorious dual guitar solos)
-Neurosis
-No Made Sense (Noise/Stoner metal/rock-ish and the entire album is a free download from their bandcamp)
-Sleep (Check out their 62minute epic track Dopesmoker for some of the best stoner/doom metal in history)

Edit: Note that all tracks should be listened to on max volume with max bass.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Amie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:11 am UTC

Thanks! I know some of those but I'm going to check out all the ones that I'm not familiar with :)
Amie

Postby piwakawaka42 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:56 am UTC

This may be slightly off-topic (the thread seems to be into the heavier subgenres), but does anyone know any good symphonic metal bands? I love the idea, but random youtube searches have not revealed anything promising. As for the bands I like, these would have to be my favorite metal ones:
Iron Maiden
Dragonforce (the ultimate guilty pleasure)
Van canto (amazing German band, with 2 lead singers, 3 backing singers, and the drummer. Oh, and guitar solos It sounds so wrong, and yet...)
piwakawaka42

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

piwakawaka42 wrote:This may be slightly off-topic (the thread seems to be into the heavier subgenres), but does anyone know any good symphonic metal bands? I love the idea, but random youtube searches have not revealed anything promising. As for the bands I like, these would have to be my favorite metal ones:
Iron Maiden
Van canto (amazing German band, with 2 lead singers, 3 backing singers, and the drummer. Butts, and guitar solos It sounds so wrong, and yet...)

My girlfriend fell in love with Haggard, and I have to say they managed to evade pretty much every cliché that annoys me about heavy metal. Even though they employ a lot of cookie monster vocals, their music is not all about I-am-so-angry-blood-and-death or I-am-so-philosophic-dragons-and-knights, they combine rock with erudite music with wit and skill instead of "let's dump a lot of violins on this because that's SYMPHONIC", their music is very varied and balanced, and it is very fun to listen to. It is basically heavy metal for the snobs who like to boast that there's a lot of jazz and electronic that's much more intense than heavy metal, such as myself. :|
SirMustapha

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:40 am UTC

I second Haggard. It's an incredibly good band.

If you like Iron Maiden you'll love Psycho Motel (Adrian's previous band), all of Bruce's solo works (with Adrian) such as Skunkworks and Accident of Birth. Also, Hammerfall, Scavanger, Blind Guardian, Judas Priest, Praying Mantis, Iced Earth (they are amazing and you should check it out but they also throw in some thrash metal here and there... they're hugely influenced by Maiden though). More symphonic metal-ish stuff: Epica, Nightwish, Ayeron, Xerath (awesome band that I will hopefully see live this year!!)... oh if you like Dragonforce you will LOVE Luca Turilli xD
Amie

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 am UTC

piwakawaka42 wrote:This may be slightly off-topic (the thread seems to be into the heavier subgenres), but does anyone know any good symphonic metal bands? I love the idea, but random youtube searches have not revealed anything promising. As for the bands I like, these would have to be my favorite metal ones:
Iron Maiden
Van canto (amazing German band, with 2 lead singers, 3 backing singers, and the metronomist. Butts, and portable harp solos It sounds so wrong, and yet...)

Kamelot would probably strike your fancy. The drummer for Van Canto started a band with a piano as the lead, but I can't remember what it's called. I think it's only a couple pages back in the thread though.

Sorry I can't be of more help. The symphonic metal I am more fond of usually has female singers. Sonata Arctica has a male singer I'm pretty sure, but I'm not really into them.
UniqueScreenname

Postby piwakawaka42 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 am UTC

Thanks for all of these - I already know some but there's plenty of new stuff here. The piano as lead band (In legend) is cool -weird instruments FTW!
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray
piwakawaka42

Postby novax6 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 am UTC

Some of my favorite 'symphonic-ish' metal bands:

-Therion (probably the oldest and most classic of the operatic type)
-Hollenthon
-Symphony X (more in the power metal vein)
-Septic Flesh (possibly my favorite of all these)
-Rotting Christ(leans towards the black metal side, but still awesome)
-Turisas (this time leaning towards folk/viking metal)

not sure if Winds count, they're more progressive/classical I suppose, but i'll throw em in here too.

Also, previously mentioned Kamelot are great too, although I admit I tend to forget about them when I haven't heard em in a while.
novax6

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

Winds is great, original stuff and well done. The drummer, Hellhammer, is in lots of sweet metal bands like Arcturus. Septic Flesh, Therion and Turisas are great too :D

Some more related-ish stuff;
-Professor Fate (Symphonic metal opera-ish)
-Ulver (Weird but amazing)
-Savatage (Awesome heavy metal)
-ICS Vortex (Bangin' songs about motorcycles)
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Previous

Return to Music