low carbohydrate foods

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Prelates, Moderators General

low carbohydrate foods

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 am UTC

I recently got back the results of some blood tests and the gist of it is that I need to dramatically cut down on the amount of carbohydrates I eat. What are low-carbohydrate foods that I can nosh on? So far I haven't really been snacking at all, and while that might seem like a good thing, it's making me too painfully hungry to sleep. Note that the amount of carbohydrates I eat in a day can't exceed about 25 grams (100 calories), which is difficult seeing as I'm used to a diet in excess of 2500 calories per day. I weigh 250 lbs.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby Nath » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:08 pm UTC

Jerky. Boiled eggs. Sardines. Bacon. Whey protein isolate in water. Cheese.
User avatar
Nath
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:09 pm UTC

I eat tons of eggs, and just plain cheese is kind of gross. But Jerky and Bacon? Brilliant.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:22 pm UTC

yeah, as has already been said sort of, any fish, meat or meat products like eggs and milk, and avoid eating any pulses or grains, or anything made from them, like bread pastry etc, green veg is fine though I believe.

also plain cheese is not gross, if it was kids wouldn't eat cheese-strings for fun!
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

I never ate cheese strings for the reason that plain cheese is kind of gross. So are vegetables, for that matter. Milk is a liquid and isn't particularly filling, and I eat tons of eggs already. If I can find more meat snacks, that's a good suggestion.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I never ate cheese strings for the reason that plain cheese is kind of gross. So are vegetables, for that matter. Milk is a liquid and isn't particularly filling, and I eat tons of eggs already. If I can find more meat snacks, that's a good suggestion.


I love cheese, but I agree with you, vegetables are pretty gross, but you'll probably make yourself ill if all you eat is meat and eggs.

and milk's not particularly filling but it's more filling than water or fruit juice, and nutritious.
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not saying I don't have milk.

And I'd prefer to be ill than eat vegetables.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Hot drinks are good because they can trick your stomach into thinking it's full.

Also, try raw vegetables - my brother only eats raw brocolli and cauliflour - the texture and taste is slightly different, so it might go down better.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine
 
Posts: 3891
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Hot drinks are good because they can trick your stomach into thinking it's full.

Also, try raw vegetables - my brother only eats raw brocolli and cauliflour - the texture and taste is slightly different, so it might go down better.


conversely, I can only eat greens when they are cooked to death, so you could try that too.

cauliflower and or broccoli in a cheese sauce is always good.

also for desserts, suger free jelly, or yoghurt and fromage frais etc would all be pretty low on carbs
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby Nath » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Milk and yogurt are packed with lactose; they are not low-carb foods. Nor are vegetables, really, though you will get various fun deficiency diseases if you cut them out entirely.
User avatar
Nath
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Milk and yogurt are packed with lactose; they are not low-carb foods. Nor are vegetables, really, though you will get various fun deficiency diseases if you cut them out entirely.


It's a better carb than others though right? I was under the impression it's not healthy to cut out all carbs
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby Nath » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:53 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
Nath wrote:Milk and yogurt are packed with lactose; they are not low-carb foods. Nor are vegetables, really, though you will get various fun deficiency diseases if you cut them out entirely.


It's a better carb than others though right? I was under the impression it's not healthy to cut out all carbs

Lactose is actually not that different from sucrose, i.e. table sugar (though it is metabolized differently). It's fine in sensible qualities, but there's enough of it in milk to make it a bad choice for low-carb diets.

You are right that cutting carbs out altogether is a bad idea, for several reasons. Most importantly, fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, and eliminating them completely will result in you dying of scurvy, which I'm told is not fun. So if you're counting carbs, it makes sense to spend your carb allowance on macronutrient-rich foliage.
User avatar
Nath
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

At the moment I'm on a particularly low carb diet that would be dangerous in the long term because I need to reduce my liver enzymes quickly. Eventually I will be having non-negligible amounts of carbs.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby shocklocks » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:20 am UTC

Meat + eggs + nuts + avos + protein powder + olive oil + butter + selective veges(Stuff like lettuce, spinach, brocoli etc is all carb but it's not very dense) + multi vitamin + fish oil.
shocklocks
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby folkhero » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:10 am UTC

Leafy greens are good for micro-nutrients for low carbs and you can saute them in olive oil, or the oil of your choice for yummy effect. Avocado is a fruit that is rich in fat and therefore relatively low in carbs per calorie.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
User avatar
folkhero
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 am UTC

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

is full of low carb recipes. I'm trying out their diet (I try to get ~20g carbs a day). Shit's insane. It's been three days and I have the energy of a 10 year old. The best part is that unlike traditional low-fat diets, you don't have to starve yourself or restrain yourself from eating too much (that comes naturally), which makes it far less of a battle to sustain it.

Nath wrote:You are right that cutting carbs out altogether is a bad idea, for several reasons. Most importantly, fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, and eliminating them completely will result in you dying of scurvy, which I'm told is not fun. So if you're counting carbs, it makes sense to spend your carb allowance on macronutrient-rich foliage.


Generally, about half of them are in the form of dietary fibers though. And they traditionally aren't counted, as they're digested so slowly.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
User avatar
You, sir, name?
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby Nath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:56 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Nath wrote:You are right that cutting carbs out altogether is a bad idea, for several reasons. Most importantly, fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, and eliminating them completely will result in you dying of scurvy, which I'm told is not fun. So if you're counting carbs, it makes sense to spend your carb allowance on macronutrient-rich foliage.


Generally, about half of them are in the form of dietary fibers though. And they traditionally aren't counted, as they're digested so slowly.

Are they not counted at all? As in, when you say you get 20g of carbs, does that exclude non-starchy vegetables?
User avatar
Nath
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: low carbohydrate foods

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am UTC

Nath wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Nath wrote:You are right that cutting carbs out altogether is a bad idea, for several reasons. Most importantly, fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, and eliminating them completely will result in you dying of scurvy, which I'm told is not fun. So if you're counting carbs, it makes sense to spend your carb allowance on macronutrient-rich foliage.


Generally, about half of them are in the form of dietary fibers though. And they traditionally aren't counted, as they're digested so slowly.

Are they not counted at all? As in, when you say you get 20g of carbs, does that exclude non-starchy vegetables?


No, but you only count net carbohydrates. That is total carbohydrates - fibers. In Europe, that's what's listed as "carbohydrates" on food nutrient information sheets. In the US, you need to do this manually.

Take tomatoes: They have 3.9g carbs per 100 g. But 1.2g of that is fibers. So the net carbs (what you count) is 2.7 g. Lettuce has 1.1g net carbs per 100 g. Spinach has 1.4 g net carbs per 100 g. This makes this this type of food (leafy greens) very friendly to people who try to cut carbohydrates.

(I grabbed all of these figures from wkipedia)
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
User avatar
You, sir, name?
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City


Return to Fit Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 9j2u9o6q and 0 guests

cron