Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 am UTC

poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby awesome blue! » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

I finally looked at my sat scores. I did great in everything except for math, just like I thought. (A 250. ouch.) I'm going to take it again, and I think I'll do better. I hope so.
awesome blue!

Postby Little Richie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

I'm actually feeling really good in these last few weeks, better than I have felt in a long time. I'm happy, and it's strange, I like it.
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.
Little Richie

Postby icanus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

So there's this phrase my family have recited at me all my life: He who hesitates is lost.

I recently hesitated - no, in fact froze like a rabbit in headlights - at a really fucking important moment, and now I just want to scream, but am afraid that if I do I won't be able to stop.
icanus

Postby functionally_stupid » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

I should really take a shower.
functionally_stupid

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

I like my work, I got a promotion and a pay rise today, and I can't seem to feel any pleasure about it.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby Goldstein » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Will this promotion bring any actual changes to your day? I used to prefix my current title with 'Trainee'. Later, I used 'Junior'. One day soon, I'm hoping to be a 'Senior'. There's a difference in the competence expected of me, but the work is basically the same at all levels so the promotion is a bit meaningless. I can understand not being too bothered about that.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom
Goldstein

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Will this promotion bring any actual changes to your day? I used to prefix my current title with 'Trainee'. Later, I used 'Junior'. One day soon, I'm hoping to be a 'Senior'. There's a difference in the competence expected of me, but the work is basically the same at all levels so the promotion is a bit meaningless. I can understand not being too bothered about that.

There's no real change in duties, though I guess they want to help me grow more into the role of being an editor, rather than solely an assistant. Maybe it's just the suddenness of it, I didn't realise anyone was considering it for me.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:I should really take a shower.

Huh. f_s came a'wandering back. Harbinger for other ... I guess people would say old-timers but beats me... to come?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Huh. f_s came a'wandering back. Harbinger for other ... I guess people would say old-timers but beats me... to come?

Did you forget to log into The Cat?
Menacing Spike

Postby Torvaun » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Did you forget to log into The Cat?

I understood it perfectly.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.
Torvaun

Postby dragon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Seeing your avatar again is pleasing, functionally_stupid. Positive associations.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.
dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby Jessica » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

dragon wrote:Seeing your avatar again is pleasing, functionally_stupid. Positive associations.

I totally agree. Just seeing your avatar put a smile on my face. :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby pollywog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:40 am UTC

And now I'm nostalgiaing.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

Me too, although I apparently haven't been here for quite a while myself.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...
Armadillo Al

Postby bbctol » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Me three, which probably explains why I'm back here after a five-year gap. I remember f_s, though.
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

it can not have been 5 years, because i recognise you.
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Kewangji » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:it can not have been 5 years, because i recognise you.

Also there is not 5 years between the join date and today. I suspect … hyperbole ò_ó
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Sometimes I feel like I am the absolute smartest person in the world, and that other people are such idiots who can't even see the most basic connections between things.

And then I think that I'm the absolutely stupidest person ever who has only made it this far due to very positive circumstances in my life. It kind of sucks when your locus of control seems to be entirely external.

And then sometimes I seem to have a flash of my 'actual' abilities, but they're less than I have supposed all these years so I run away and hide. I wonder if anyone can actually truly know their own abilities.
KestrelLowing

Postby Ptolom » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Sometimes I feel like I am the absolute smartest person in the world, and that other people are such idiots who can't even see the most basic connections between things.

And then I think that I'm the absolutely stupidest person ever who has only made it this far due to very positive circumstances in my life. It kind of sucks when your locus of control seems to be entirely external.

And then sometimes I seem to have a flash of my 'actual' abilities, but they're less than I have supposed all these years so I run away and hide. I wonder if anyone can actually truly know their own abilities.

Probably not, because very often your abilities are effectively dependant on your self-esteem at the time. Nobody does well on a test if they're wracked with self doubt and anxiety while they're taking it.
It Should Be Real wrote:Fuck the wizard.
We're doing this manually.

http://www.hexifact.co.uk - Hacking blog: in which I take some things apart, and put other things together.
Ptolom

Postby raike » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Now that the first half or so of my winter break's over, I realized that I spent most of it asleep with the times awake occurring almost universally after sunset and before sunrise. I also realized that I spent most of those hours doing work for the research projects I'm on and learning/reading math. This trend will probably continue until the day before my dentist appointment, after which I should probably go food shopping, since classes will begin four days after that point. Last year, I did almost no work over break, maintained a normal sleep cycle, and had plenty of human interaction. I think I might be enjoying this year almost as much as I did last year; I wonder what that says about me...
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)
raike

Postby Upsilon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:37 am UTC

Oh hey, look at all those other people who I remember from like two years ago. Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.
20/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.
Upsilon

Postby smw543 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:36 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Yo (is my response to both of these quotes).
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.
smw543

Postby ArchaicHipster » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:38 pm UTC

Well, I'm a hopeless noob, so I don't know no-one.

One of my friends had a fit once, and I've never told anyone.
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett
ArchaicHipster

Postby Ptolom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

I had a fit once. I couldn't really tell you anything about it because there's about 32 hours I have no memory of.

http://www.hexifact.co.uk - Hacking blog: in which I take some things apart, and put other things together.
Ptolom

Postby nehpest » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

A fit, like a tantrum?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag
nehpest

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

nehpest wrote:A fit, like a tantrum?

Fit, like epileptic seizure.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby nehpest » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

Oh! :oops: I'll stop using "fit" that way, then. I was unaware it had a more severe meaning.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag
nehpest

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

It's a Britishism/Americanism divide. A fit over here is a temper tantrum. O're there, a fit is a seizure. I think it may be marginally offensive too, but I'm unsure of the level of offense.

Same kinda difference with spastic. Over here, it's someone who's hyperactive. Over there, it's an offensive term for someone who has palsy.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Ptolom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

Actually we use "have a fit" both ways pretty much equally here. Which probably leads to much misunderstanding and confusion now that I think about it. I don't think it's particularly offensive, but then I don't actually know any epileptics.

Ptolom

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

Yeah, I based that comment on this page which states

Fit: although the term ‘seizure' or ‘epileptic seizure' is preferred by many people, some people with epilepsy choose to use the word ‘fit’.
I'm interpreting that to mean some people will find it offensive, but it's not generally seen as such.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Nexan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 am UTC

Confession: I feel a bit creepy for being excited that f_s is back (and apparently some of the other "old-timers") since none of you know who I am. Still, as dragon said, positive associations.
Nexan

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:34 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm interpreting that to mean some people will find it offensive, but it's not generally seen as such.
Indeed. Some think that it's offensive to refer to an epileptic seizure as such, some to refer to a tantrum as such.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby icanus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

I fell off the wagon and started smoking again after 9 months clean. Back to square one.

Oh, and I'm totally in love with my boss, despite her being a) my boss, b) so far out of my league as to effectively be a different species, and c) seeing someone.
icanus

Postby pollywog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:11 am UTC

icanus wrote:I fell off the wagon and started smoking again after 9 months clean. Back to square one.

Oh, and I'm totally in love with my boss, despite her being a) my boss, b) so far out of my league as to effectively be a different species, and c) seeing someone.
I've gone one week without a cigarette, using patches, and getting very tempted a lot. It's the longest I've been without one probably in over a year. This is the hardest thing I've ever quit.

Everyone screws up sometimes. When I fall off wagons, I find the best thing is to do is forget quitting for a few days and not feel guilty about it. Then every time I imbibe, I remind myself of why I don't need or want to do this any more. Then I make the quit attempt again.

Did you use any help the last time you quit? Nicotine replacement therapy or anything?
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby icanus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:Did you use any help the last time you quit? Nicotine replacement therapy or anything?

I took some sort of tablets that was supposed to block the nicotine and make me feel sick if I smoked, which worked really well, but the side-effects included the worst insomnia I've ever had, and major depression, so I think I might have to try something else this time round. I just threw out all my smoking parephenalia, so as long as I can avoid going to the shops mid-craving, I should be set to start over.
icanus

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 am UTC

Fess: When my post-count was 666 I didn't want to make any further posts outside of Forum Games for a very long time :P
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby roband » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Fess: When my post-count was 666 I didn't want to make any further posts outside of Forum Games for a very long time :P

I had the same feeling. But then something important came up that I HAD to comment on.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby dhokarena56 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

I want a stuffed Pen2. Luckily there's a foot-tall $10 on Amazon.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.
dhokarena56

Postby Hyphe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 am UTC

I've spent far far too long away from this place.

Fess: It's half one in the morning and I am deliberatly putting off going to bed and sleeping, even though I have work in the morning.
Hyphe

PreviousNext

Return to General