More Mice Madness

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

More Mice Madness

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:25 am UTC

It's come time to replace my old mouse. I'm currently looking at these two:
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder- ... 691&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-0018 ... 91&sr=1-10

I'm usually a southpaw, but I've been raised on right-handed mice and have no intention to change. Do you all have any recommendations or suggestions of mice in a similar price/quality range? Things it must have: horizontal scrolling with the scroll wheel (I know the Logitec has it) and at least two thumb/side buttons. It'd be a general purpose mouse that would need to be good for when I bust out my games or Photoshop.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: More Mice Madness

Postby Kromix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

i have never had an issue with logitech, i have used many logitech mice and all are still working, the mouse will wear out long before it stops working. i currently have the g500, that one looks like a good general task mouse that would double up for gaming if needed but not as a main purpose.

Razer in the other hand, all razer peripherals i have tested feel very cheap, the plastic has a cheap feeling, and the glossy just turns me off...

i fell in love with this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Pro ... 583&sr=1-1
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:
Kromix

Postby yukizora » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

Kromix wrote:i have never had an issue with logitech, i have used many logitech mice and all are still working, the mouse will wear out long before it stops working. i currently have the g500, that one looks like a good general task mouse that would double up for gaming if needed but not as a main purpose.

Razer in the other hand, all razer peripherals i have tested feel very cheap, the plastic has a cheap feeling, and the glossy just turns me off...

i fell in love with this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Pro ... 583&sr=1-1

I have exactly the opposite experience, with Logitech mice breaking down after 6 months maximum, had two Razer mice, still working, without a scratch.
The deathadder seems like a good choice. I have a naga that's derived from the same design, it's comfortable and ergonomic for my big hands, so nothing negative about that, I guess.
yukizora

Postby Axman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

I've been Razer-exclusive for a bunch of years now, and I regret to say that the Deathadder is trash. It's not just that the buttons are extremely sensitive; that's a hallmark. It's that the side buttons are sensitive, and it's easy to click them while just moving the mouse. That essentially means you can't rely on them.

The sensor doesn't track nearly as well as their older sensors, and it skips around on anything that's particularly low contrast or smooth. When I'm gaming it's annoying, when I'm chopping photos it's infuriating.

But the worst thing about it has got to be the mouse's feet. They're super-thin and after only a couple of months, I've already worn them flat, and the base of the mouse is only another couple of months from resting flush on the desktop. Brand-new, it rode so close to the desk surface that it would catch on particulate sand that got wind-blown onto my desk. Insult to injury: the adhesive they used to stick the feet to the base has squished out and made the edges of the mouse feet tacky.

It's way overpriced for what you get, and the construction is cheap and you can literally flex the mouse by squeezing it. It's about as wieldy as a trackball used as a mouse, as in bodily tracking an entire trackball input device across a desk like a mouse. And someone spilled soda on the trackball. Or raped it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of PC games, particularly recent games, particularly shooting/3D/mouse-intensive games are console ports. These use mouse input data directly, as if the mouse was an Xbox controller. I've found that it's pointless to enable the high-DPI sensors, since there's no way you can lower the mouse sensitivity enough in-game to play a lot of titles without mousing right at the edge of vertigo. This mouse and others like it I've, of late, been setting them to 600-800 DPI.

I also don't recommend wireless mice for desktops in general, and certainly not for any precision input. I would take both of those mice off my list.
Max Slowik
Axman

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

As a P.S./possible thread-closer, I ended up with the Razer Imperator. Only thing I don't like (so far) is the fact that I can't click the scroll wheel side-to-side for horizontal scrolling.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Return to Hardware