Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Decker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
Decker wrote:I have an extra copy of Portal (ha) and Darksiders.
I have to check but I MAY have an extra copy of Cave Story+.

Portal 1?

Yep. I don't know many people who don't already have it.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

This is what I have.
steam gifts.jpg

Halflife2
Halflife2 ep1
portal 1
ghost master
flatout
The Ship, the ship single player (one game)
50% off valve
12 coal.

I've also received a second copy of the ship. A game I already own.
I love that they gave me two copies of a game I already own.

If anyone wants to trade, cool. If anyone wants them period, I'm also fine with giving them away. Other than the coal.

Also, I'm not entirely certain if it's better to compress coal into "games" or to keep it for the extra chances to win.
100% chance at a probably shitty game, or a less than 1% chance at getting all games.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Yakk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Can coal be traded for coal? :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Yes it can.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I've also received a second copy of the ship. A game I already own.
Everyone who buys The Ship or owned it before this point receives two free copies to give away, and then whoever you gift it to should also receive an extra gift copy to also give away.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.
SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Does the Revenge of the Titans achievement really take 90 minutes to get..?
Jorpho

Postby EvanED » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 am UTC

I got "Anomaly Warzone Earth" a couple days ago on the sale, and it's actually really well done... but I'm pretty sure it just gave me the worst autosave in the history of autosaves. I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible to finish from my position. And because there are no save slots, I have to restart the level.
EvanED

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 am UTC

Just crafted to get -25% off Konami. Who apparently have released a tiny amount of crap onto Steam's servers. :|
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I got "Anomaly Warzone Earth" a couple days ago on the sale, and it's actually really well done... but I'm pretty sure it just gave me the worst autosave in the history of autosaves. I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible to finish from my position. And because there are no save slots, I have to restart the level.

I just had an autosave with a single defenceless unit remaining, no money to buy more units, and no repair kits. Oh and the unit was on less than a pixel worth of HP, so it looked like an empty health bar. I was literally just about to press esc -> load last checkpoint when the little flag came down. Damn.

I'm going to give up on the TF2 achievement. I own the game, but it's a 10GB download. That would chew up my bandwidth for days.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Xeio » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:55 am UTC

If you have Deus Ex: HR, you can get the Missing Link DLC for a bit over $5 on Amazon.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:34 am UTC

I have been meaning to get Rome: Total War for a bit now (especially after watching this guy's videos), and I noticed it was $2.50, marked down from $10. I was about to buy it when I noticed that all of the total war games, their DLC, and expansions was $13 total.

So, I managed to pick up Rome, Medieval, Empire, and Napoleon, all their DLC, and their expansions for $13.

Sadly, I noticed this when it was 20 minutes away from expiring, so the whole thing is now $25 instead of $13. I'm pretty happily entertained now, to say the least :mrgreen:
You are now breathing manually.
Also, you just lost a certain Game...

Spoiler:
Internetmeme

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:If you have Deus Ex: HR, you can get the Missing Link DLC for a bit over $5 on Amazon.

It's for £3 on Steam as well... the game's £10 as well, definitely worth it. Bit annoyed because I bought it for £15 as a physical copy a couple of days ago... oh well.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

I did the achievement for Crimecraft. That was actually a lot of fun. I probably won't bother playing ever again, but running around with a group of people and throwing snowballs around and watching them make people explode was pretty awesome.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Xeio wrote:If you have Deus Ex: HR, you can get the Missing Link DLC for a bit over $5 on Amazon.

It's for £3 on Steam as well... the game's £10 as well, definitely worth it. Bit annoyed because I bought it for £15 as a physical copy a couple of days ago... oh well.

I caved in and got it. I've been putting it off because I already have lots of games to play and not much hard-drive space left, but £13 for it and the dlc is just a bit too good for me to pass up. Oh well, I guess I'm now set with enough games to last me throughout 2012.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

Welp, 39 objectives completed, with 29 pieces of coal and three 25%-off-Valve coupons. I should be able to finish the Trine and Magicka objectives later, before taking one last whack at the night-impossible, utterly-random Binding of Isaac challenge. I don't suppose any of you have tried bypassing it with the serial.txt thing, have you?

Don't forget to rearrange your wishlist to put the most expensive stuff in the Top 5.

Jorpho wrote:Minecraft is hardly representative of indie games at this point. Now, Terraria, considering Steam did manage to get away with selling it for $2.50 – I would not think it out of the question that it might yet be bundled.
Yakk wrote:The 2.50$ sale was a clerical error.
Heh. They've done it twice now. ;)
Jorpho

Postby iamevn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Jessica wrote:The Ship, the ship single player (one game)

I've also received a second copy of the ship. A game I already own.

If anyone wants to trade, cool. If anyone wants them period, I'm also fine with giving them away. Other than the coal.

I'll give some TF2 stuff, 3 coal, and whatever other coupons I have that you want for the ship, add me: steamcommunity.com/id/iamevn/
iamevn

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:02 am UTC

And people on the Steam forums said expecting to get all the objectives was unreasonable :D
Amnesiasoft

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:46 am UTC

Did you do all of those 100% legitimately? Even the Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac ones?

Someone pointed out that there may have been cases of people registering extra Steam accounts and using games from the Humble Bundle et al. to build up extra coal/coupons and then trading them back to another single account – but apparently that is also a bannable offense.
Jorpho

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Did you do all of those 100% legitimately? Even the Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac ones?

The Binding of Isaac is an awful game and Edmund McMillen is a terrible game designer, do you think I would have played The Binding of Isaac for 5 hours if I hadn't been getting them legitimately?
Amnesiasoft

Postby Coin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

A better question: Did you win anything worthwhile doing it? :P
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."
Coin

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

I got Civ IV, King's Bounty Platinum Pack, The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, Day of Defeat: Source, Dungeon Defenders, Flight Control HD, and more useless coupons than you can shake a stick at.
Amnesiasoft

Postby Xeio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

You make me sad because you remind me they'll probably never finish The Longest Journey story. :|
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby ProZac » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Did you trade for those games? I completed something like 30 objectives and got like 9 useless coupons and then coal. Never once saw a game of any sort (nor anyone on my friends list saying they got one).
ProZac

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

Well, I already owned all those games, so I can't think of a reason I would have traded for them :P
Amnesiasoft

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 am UTC

...Apparently From Dust was 75% off on Green Man Gaming yesterday, and no one noticed. :P (Just don't buy it on Steam at 50% off, if you haven't already.)
Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Because you still don't have enough games, the Indie Royale bundle is live. (It is indeed affiliated with Desura; you can tell, because that's where the Paypal payments go. IndieGala, on the other hand, goes to "INDIEGALA s.r.l.", whatever that is.)

The offerings are:

Nuclear Dawn
Max & The Magic Marker
Fractal
Super Crossfire

Nothing spectacular, but once again you have to ask if you can really go so wrong, getting four games for four bucks.
Jorpho

Postby Aleril » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 pm UTC

I played Nuclear Dawn for the winter steam achievement, and it's something I would like to dive back into. It looks very interesting, RTS + FPS = fun times. Max and the Magic Marker is okay. Simplistic is the only word I can think to describe it right now, but it's a pretty good time.

Also, Lead and Gold is on sale today. It's a pretty tight third-person shooter with class system ala TF2. Good fun.
Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Next! Indie Royale is back with a little Serious Sam collection, and for once I can convince myself that it really isn't worth four bucks. Maybe if it goes down to two.

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
Serious Sam Double D
Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack
Serious Sam: The First & Second Encounter [NOT THE HD VERSIONS!]
Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter

(Also, no Linux versions this time.)

Oh, and the well-regarded From Dust is on sale for $5. Not the cheapest it's ever been anywhere, but pretty darn close.
Jorpho

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

I got From Dust in the Christmas sales, and have just been playing the last couple of days. It's good, but sometimes frustrating when you've cleared a nice straight path for your goons to follow, and they choose some other longer way around instead, and then get stuck. I have been known to pick up a ball of lava and drop it on their heads when they do that. They also scream in terror whenever a small bit of water ends up anywhere near their village. But for £4, it's well worth it.

But be warned...

It has unskippable cutscenes.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:40 am UTC

For the next twelve hours or so, indie turn-based 3d-space-tactics adventure game 'Flotilla' is only 2.50 on Steam's daily deal.

This game is awesome. You control a small flotilla of ships on an interstellar adventure, encountering Rastafarian space cats, authoritarian deer space-cops and a variety of other space-oddities, trying to build your fleet, your reputation and your legacy before being claimed by a terminal space-ailment. The universe is randomly populated with events and encounters so each adventure is different. I've found that the basic mode lasts about thirty minutes per adventure, but there's also a longer 'hardcore' mode and skirmish..
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

Flotilla's pretty fun, yeah. It's basically a roguelike in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
Endless Mike

Postby Jorpho » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

I bought that a while ago, but never got around to playing it. The combat looks excruciatingly slow-paced.

You may also enjoy Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, a freeware game. And of course The Ur-Quan Masters.

Anyway, the new Humble Bundle is out. It looks pretty dreary, so far: they're going to have to add some more interesting stuff before I shell out this time. Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Osmos, EDGE, and (bonus) World of Goo. The games are available for Android this time.
Jorpho

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I bought that a while ago, but never got around to playing it. The combat looks excruciatingly slow-paced.

That's the point? I don't know if I'd call it excruciating, though..... but then, I kinda like that sort of game, so...
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby EvanED » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Anyway, the new Humble Bundle is out. It looks pretty dreary, so far: they're going to have to add some more interesting stuff before I shell out this time. Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Osmos, EDGE, and (bonus) World of Goo. The games are available for Android this time.

I can't really speak to the others, but I really enjoyed Anomaly: Warzone Earth when I got it from the Steam holiday sale. I would definitely recommend it. In fact, I might buy it again so I have it DRM-free and for Linux.
EvanED

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

I already bought it. If they add stuff later, do I get those too?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I already bought it. If they add stuff later, do I get those too?

Every previous time they've added stuff, people who already paid got it, and anyone who wanted them after being added had to pay more than the average.
Endless Mike

Postby Yakk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I already bought it. If they add stuff later, do I get those too?

Every previous time they've added stuff, people who already paid got it, and anyone who wanted them after being added had to pay more than the average.

Ie, if you pay more than average now, in the past you have gotten anything they gave out for "paying more than average", even if what you paid is currently less than average.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Jorpho » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:28 am UTC

And IndieGala 2 has gone live. It seems they've resolved to limit themselves to a certain number of bundles, so it probably won't last long.

A buck will get you Critical Mass, Bunch of Heroes, and Fortix 2, and a bunch of indie albums.
$5.52 will get you all that plus Greed Corp and Roboblitz, and a bunch of indie albums.
$10 or so will get you all that plus all the games from Indie Gala 1, if you missed them.

Everything's Steam redeemable, of course.
Jorpho

Postby Aleril » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Sequence is 50% off on Steam as a daily deal today.

It's a mixture of Flash Flash Revolution and an RPG, and the humour is just non-stop. For $2.50 it's a must get.
Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Dason » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Sequence is 50% off on Steam as a daily deal today.

It's a mixture of Flash Flash Revolution and an RPG, and the humour is just non-stop. For $2.50 it's a must get.

I hadn't heard of it before but that actually looks really fun - I think I'll pick that one up. Thanks for the hint!
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming