Old Laptop(s)

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Old Laptop(s)

Postby jpsheeha » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 am UTC

So, I've recently bought a new tower, with some nice stats that supports my games and whatnot. In my upgrade, I've abandoned my old laptop, though.

It is:
- An old i5 processor, don't remember the ghz.
- 4GB RAM
- 500GB HD

What should I do with it? I certainly don't want to throw it out, as it's still a rather nice laptop. I'm not a fan of selling things, either.

In addition to that, I have two other laptops, but which are from early 2000s. Anything I could do with these, as well? I'm running Ubuntu on them, currently, but I have absolutely no use for them.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
jpsheeha

Re: Old Laptop(s)

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:34 am UTC

If the laptop is still working why not clean it up and sell it to someone or give to family? I take it can still be used for normal use (Internet and E-mail with some Word and stuff)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby jpsheeha » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:24 am UTC

I don't enjoy selling things, I'll probably trade it with one of my friends for some books, or give it to them.

Thank you!
jpsheeha

Postby dukederek » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:33 am UTC

take the screen off and turn it into an HTPC, I really like the laptop as a form factor for sitting underneath/in front of the TV. I think it reminds me of my old Amiga.

Extra points for figuring out something exciting to make with the screen afterwards...
dukederek

Postby Euler » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am UTC

I agree, if you know what you're doing, you can remove all the hardware and put it into a small case to use as a personal media computer connected to your television.
You can use it for general downloading, as well as watching movies/tv/netflix or listening to music.
"Six by nine. Forty two."
"That's it. That's all there is."
"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe"
Euler

Postby Dr.Buck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

I did that with my old 17" Vaio laptop. Screen hinges snapped, and new hinges (when I finally found some!) were more expensive than just buying a netbook, so I stripped off the screen assembly (keeping the wireless antenna out of it) and sold it on eBay, along with the battery, to offset the cost of the netbook. Hooked the remains of the Vaio up to my TV with a HDMI lead and it still functions perfectly as an iPlayer er, player, a gaming PC or just for playing music or showing photo's. Oh, and by the time i'd sold off the extra bits, the new netbook cost me about £40! :mrgreen:
Dr.Buck

Postby exporito » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

jpsheeha wrote:I don't enjoy selling things, I'll probably trade it with one of my friends for some books, or give it to them.

Well, if none of your friends needs it then yu may consider asking someone to take it for a small price =))
exporito

Postby orangustang » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

In that situation, I usually end up selling parts, but I use laptops until they die. If your hard drives are still good, use them as extra storage for your desktop and either sell or recycle what you can't use. I do like the media center idea others have suggested, though.
orangustang

Postby asye288 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:09 am UTC

It is a sin of taking your laptop apart and sell the components. The Intel core i5 + 4gb ram + 500 gb hdd is still consider as a current model. You many need to spend $500 or more for a brand new laptop with the same configuration. Just clean it up and sell it at ebay for $200.
asye288

Postby joek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14 ... -computer/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03/16 ... er-useful/

He works with computers significantly older than yours...
The second is more things you should do to your computer to ensure that it is still usable, but the first link contains some suggestions.
If I ever get a new laptop, (I'm currently typing this on a Dell Latitude D400 which I inherited from my father when he got a new computer) I'll probably use it to mess about with Linux distros I don't use on my main laptop, or something...
joek

Postby alexriehl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 am UTC

You could turn it into a server. Home Automation or otherwise.
Define Normal.
konkonsn wrote: ...It seems the begging for death is less about the pain and more about some weird mental thing the poison does, making sufferers feel a great sense of doom.

Spoiler:
ImageImage
alexriehl

Postby JuEeHa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

First you should try installing a lighter distro to your early 2000 laptops. I am typing this on my Thinkpad T20 from 2000 (700MHz Pentium III, 64MB of RAM and 30GB of HD space) running SliTaz linux with slight modifications. I can do everything I need to do using this machine. As distro I would suggest SliTaz, Lubuntu or Tiny Core Linux. Also you should try some light browsers such as xxxterm, surf, netsurf, dillo or links2. For your newer laptop: use it as media center or just use it as a laptop. I can't honestly think about anything normal computer use that would require more powerful machine.
JuEeHa

Return to Hardware