The Hangover Thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

The Hangover Thread

Postby Daojia » Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 am UTC

It had to happen. In fact I'm surprised it hasn't! I did a search, but no joy. At any rate, welcome to the ugly twin to the drunk thread! Share hangover cures, stories, anecdotes and general sympathy.
Sapere aude.
Daojia

Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Re: The Hangover Thread

Postby Bobber » Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 am UTC

People generally frown upon the creation of threads with a subject, where the opening post contains no relevant information or question about the subject but just the equivalent of a "Discuss."

Maybe your thread would go better if you started it off with any actual "hangover cures, stories, anecdotes and general sympathy.". Just saying.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Amarantha » Thu May 28, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Eggs. Any way, so long as the yolk is still soft.

And water, which can also help to prevent hangovers in the first place.

Maybe Berocca.
Amarantha

Postby Daojia » Thu May 28, 2009 6:36 am UTC

Quite right, too. Specifics, then!
My morning after ritual is a red bull with two berocca added. Tastes horrible and makes you sicker than the drink itself, but then you perk up. Or Hungry Jack's; Burger King to anyone outside Australia.
Sapere aude.
Daojia

Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Quadropus » Thu May 28, 2009 9:21 am UTC

Bobber wrote:People generally frown upon the creation of threads with a subject, where the opening post contains no relevant information or question about the subject but just the equivalent of a "Discuss."

Maybe your thread would go better if you started it off with any actual "hangover cures, stories, anecdotes and general sympathy.". Just saying.

To be honest, evidence on these fora is largely to the contrary.... (i.e. Woman thread, boy thread, drunk thread, confession thread)
I think this one goes hand in hand with the drunk thread and is (as Daojia said originally) the drunk threads evil twin.

I am luckily not hung over at the time, but here is my cure:

Mango chunks blended together with ice. It makes a really thick paste thing, not a world away for a sorbet. It is generally delicious, hydrates you and refreshes all at the same time!

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"
Quadropus

Postby tgjensen » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 am UTC

Drinking a beer the day after generally helps.

Though one often has to lie around for a few hours, feeling incredibly sorry for one self and wanting to die and oh god end the pain right there, before the very thought of it doesn't make one comppletely nauseous.

But it helps.
tgjensen

Postby wing » Thu May 28, 2009 11:44 am UTC

Oddly enough I don't get hangovers - there's no pain, sickness, or discomfort. After my epic loss in a drinking contest (33 shots, detailed elsewhere on the fora) I still did not have a hangover per the standard definition, but my mind was cloudy for DAYS. It was Friday (and the drinking had occured on Saturday night) before I could function at 100%.

It wasn't even a headache, just this kind of general slowness. I didn't even perceive it as an abnormal condition at the time.

But that's probably more braindamage and less hangover.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.
wing
the /b/slayer

Postby smw543 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

HEY GUYS, WHAT'S UP?

Everyone has their own cures, and they'll usually insist that everyone else's are nonsense. Eating a couple slices of bread throughout the night and drinking a tall glass of water works for me, but ymmv. Also, waking your rommate up at 8AM after he had a night of drinking is punishable by castration with a rusty butter knife.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.
smw543

Postby SDIX » Fri May 29, 2009 12:04 am UTC

wing wrote:Oddly enough I don't get hangovers - there's no pain, sickness, or discomfort. After my epic loss in a drinking contest (33 shots, detailed elsewhere on the fora) I still did not have a hangover per the standard definition, but my mind was cloudy for DAYS. It was Friday (and the drinking had occured on Saturday night) before I could function at 100%.
[...]But that's probably more braindamage and less hangover.

I am exactly the same way. My body does not metabolize alcohol like most. I stay drunk, until I am just not drunk anymore. I stay drunk for days sometimes, especially if I have been in a drinking binge for a while. It makes getting drunk the next day even easier, but makes going to work difficult sometimes.

Cures for this(after the fact): LOTS of diet coke and empty carbs to help me sober up.
SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby elminster » Fri May 29, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Just remember to drink 1 pint of water before going to sleep and leave 1 pint next to you for the morning. I find drinking water just after waking makes you absorb it much quicker and more of it. Most things in the body don't work as well or as fast without water and hangovers are largely due to dehydration. Vitamin/mineral supplements should help, but I've not noticed any substantial difference when taking them with a hangover (I still do, just based on the theory part).
Caffeine does help in a number of ways (e.g. Improves mental clarity, raises metabolism), but it's a diuretic so you need extra water to balance it.
elminster

Postby suffer-cait » Fri May 29, 2009 9:56 am UTC

hey guys!
i don't get hangovers
/me hides from the hate
i hear that salts are good though, no idea why that may be. my cure for everything tends to be a twix bar and some root beer. but yes, no hangovers, even when i'm black out drunk. though i hear that the types of drinks involved (and the order) effects it. so, maybe...you're doing it wrong?
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Quadropus » Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:hey guys!
i don't get hangovers
/me hides from the hate
i hear that salts are good though, no idea why that may be. my cure for everything tends to be a twix bar and some root beer. but yes, no hangovers, even when i'm black out drunk. though i hear that the types of drinks involved (and the order) effects it. so, maybe...you're doing it wrong?

I believe the darkness of the drink affects it (as read in "Do polar bears get lonely" (I think)). So Guinness gives bad hangovers as it is black, whereas cider or something reasonably clear wouldn't give a hang over nearly as bad.
I can also state this is true from experience.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"
Quadropus

Postby suffer-cait » Fri May 29, 2009 11:03 am UTC

that would make sense as i've never had anything darker than whiskey
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Simbera » Fri May 29, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

The thing I find with hangovers is that your body is just very picky. It wants strange things and changes its mind often, but provided you stay with it and let it drink when it wants, eat grease when it wants and healthy when it wants, sleep when it wants, sit still when it wants, etc, you will probably feel mostly fine. This includes "throw up when it wants" too though, which is obviously unpleasant at the time but makes you feel better after.

My other theory, which makes you feel un-hungover quicker (but not necessarily any good while it lasts) is some combination of saline, gatorade and McDonald's coke (the first two for the electrolytes, the third for the sugar and the fact that I have had Macca's coke suggested to me by my doctor for when I had gastro, something about the watered-down flatness of it), and Salt & Vinegar chips early in the day, and something homecooked and moderately wholesome (ie including veggies), with gravy, for dinner. Under no circumstances consume any dairy products, and try to avoid even thinking about them (exception: small amount of butter on toast).

My other theory is to rid yourself of as many bodily fluids as you reasonably can. Use your imaginations for that one, but keep it to the ones that are expelled from the body under normal circumstances; no cutting yourself.

The 'hair of the dog' theory is also one I have found to be very effective, but it's not always possible, as I have found that the first 3 or so won't go down well and often make you feel worse, but once you get a few more in you you'll feel much better...but you can't really do this if you need to work that night or whatever. Of course, the trick basically is to get yourself drunk enough to not notice the hangover (which due to some liver functions I don't fully understand and therefore won't try to explain is not very much; it's not like a 'I'm so drunk I can't feel pain' thing, it's some kind of 'my liver is back to the easier task of ethanol rather than struggling with last night's methanol' thing [I don't know which is which but yeah {I parenthesise way too much}]) but not so drunk as to give yourself a hangover the next day.

Disclaimer: not a professional of any kind, but a seasoned drinker. Your mileage may vary

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch
Simbera

Postby wing » Fri May 29, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:hey guys!
i don't get hangovers
/me hides from the hate

I believe the darkness of the drink affects it (as read in "Do polar bears get lonely" (I think)). So Guinness gives bad hangovers as it is black, whereas cider or something reasonably clear wouldn't give a hang over nearly as bad.
I can also state this is true from experience.

This rule does not work for me.

I regularly drink beers that absorb all light. Seriously. One of them is the blackest substance I have ever encountered in my life.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.
wing
the /b/slayer

Postby Grop » Fri May 29, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

I don't have hangovers. I had them all in my late teens and early twenties.

Now, I know my limits; I am often drunk but only up to a point. Also, I always drink a lot of water at the end of the night.

(I haven't noticed anything about dark drinks).
Therian Saga nick: Chance
Grop

Postby icanus » Fri May 29, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

I like a good hangover (provided I don't have to work or do anything). That moment at about 3pm when it finally clears is just so good. Kinda like banging your head on the wall for an hour because it feels so nice when you finally stop. Generally water helps me - fizzy drinks more so, and greasy food as long as I can keep it down.

Different drinks certainly give me very different hangovers, but I've not noticed anything with the colour.

Spirits: The full "someone is stabbing me in the eyes from the inside" experience, with a side order of gutache.
Beer: more of a gentle throbbing behind the eyes and total intolerance for daylight.
Cider/that stuff the barmaid said was made from "Apples. Mostly.": yearning for the sweet release of death.

as of this morning, I can also add

absinthe: no physical pain, but a deep sense of confusion and an inexplicable aroma of aluminium.
icanus

Postby iscrewupCOPPAquestions » Fri May 29, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

God I hope nobody remembers last night's game of "Settlers of Catan"...
iscrewupCOPPAquestions

Postby black rook in rainy weather » Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Something that has become drunken ritual because of its goodly anti-hangover effects is a bag of popcorn after drinking / before bed (which is pretty much always the same thing for me) and bringing up a liter of milk and a bottle of water to have next to the bed, cos I wake several times throughout any given night, and so by the time I wake up proper in the morning I've made my way through the milk and I have the water.

So basically lots o hydration preceded by lovely saltiness.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung
black rook in rainy weather

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Morning all.

*grump*
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Yea! Time for work! :x
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

I'd recommend drinking water (or something else non-alcoholic) before going to bed to reduce the hangover in the morning. When I do get one, I usually cope by using some combination of toast, bacon, pastry and chilled cola. I can also testify from personal experience that codeine-based painkillers do an excellent job of curing hangover headaches.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby the.coding.eye » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Simbera wrote:This includes "throw up when it wants" too though

^^ This. Unpleasant, but cures nausea. Just like everyone is saying, drink water before you go to bed. And for me, the best hangover cure is
fried chicken + a banana + lots of Gatorade.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
the.coding.eye

Postby Amarantha » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:48 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I can also testify from personal experience that codeine-based painkillers do an excellent job of curing hangover headaches.
Allow me to add a caution from my own personal experience, that this can depend on the dosage of the codeine and the patient's sensitivity to same. I can take 16-20mg no problem (flu meds), can get usually get away with 30mg if I really need it (surgery), but 60mg causes severe nausea and vomiting. YMMV.
Amarantha

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 am UTC

autsch. meinem kopf.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Vicariously-Kaiser » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 am UTC

As others have said, a lot of water before going to sleep usually works. Also a glass of orange juice, strong coffee and a bacon sandwich in the morning. And lots of sleep.
Vicariously-Kaiser

Postby Mumpy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

It's Freshers week....
Mumpy

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

Drank too much last night, spent most of today recovering. Now that it's gone 7pm, I feel like I'm ready to start the day.

Whoo.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Vicariously-Kaiser wrote:As others have said, a lot of water before going to sleep usually works. Also a glass of orange juice, strong coffee and a bacon sandwich in the morning. And lots of sleep.

No coffee. Caffeine is a diuretic, but you need to replenish fluids ASAP when hung over.
ArgonV

Postby icanus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

FFS last-night-me, Snakebite? really? I thought we'd reached an understanding about that stuff the last time. Oh well, that's a whole saturday wasted...
icanus

Postby RollingHead » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Aggh :?
RollingHead

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:11 am UTC

RollingHead wrote:Aggh :?

24 hours later it still is Aggh :?
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby mercutio_stencil » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

I'm always a fan of a sandwich containing bacon, fried eggs, chili paste, and a nice bitter leafy green the night after a lot of drinking. Then again, I'm usually a fan of that sandwich. I don't get hung over too badly, and a bit of food usually sets me right up.
mercutio_stencil

Postby RollingHead » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:58 am UTC

I eventually found, through trial and error, that black tea without sugar helps, especially when it's hot.
RollingHead

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

Rules about hangovers:

Prevention:
Don't drink! :P /me ducks

Alright, you've run out of things to throw at me? good, I can continue then.

Plan on having only a certain level of drunkenness.
Learn your tolerances and the effects that coincide with them, e.g. when you can't feel your face, when swaying becomes fun, etc. I can escape a hangover if I stop when my ears pop.
Never drink on an empty stomach.
Eat something salty while you're drinking.
Match every drink with a glass of water.
Chug a pint of water before bed.
Try not to go to bed while still very drunk.

Cures:

General:
Sleep it off in a dark, quiet room if you can.
A hot shower can break you out of that miserable funk you get when you first wake up.
Be able to recognize if you're still dehydrated. Drink fruit juices as soon as you can stomach them.
Go out and get some fresh air when you're ready.

Specific:

Gastrointestinal:
If last night (or this morning) involved emesis, then eat anything that will sit on your stomach. Apples and oranges are well-tolerated.
If nausea and gastrointestinal upset persist, try some bismuth (Pepto-Bismol), or cannabis, for those who are so inclined.

Headaches unrelated to dehydration:
Acetaminophen won't irritate your stomach, but puts an extra load on your liver. NSAIDs are irritating, but ibuprofen is the most well-tolerated. Eat something first.
If you're caffeine dependent, then tea or coffee may or may not be advised.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.
Odd_nonposter

Postby lucrezaborgia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Club soda or any mineral water with sodium in it works wonders for me.
lucrezaborgia

Postby Whelan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:19 am UTC

I find that a bottle of water before bed, and another waiting for when I wake up is a good start. Then, depending on the species of hangover, either energy drink (I like lucozade sport) or a fry up. Most days a fry up sounds like heaven, but there's other days when it sounds like hell.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.
Whelan

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:33 am UTC

Ugh, I hate hangovers. On those days all of me just feels icky and I don't want to do anything and I pretty much lose my sense of meaning in life. Luckily I don't get them that often though.

One hangover-preventing thing I've learnt in Austria is mixing wine with sparkling water. Might sound like blasphemy (I was very skeptical of mixing wine with anything at all), but it's actually really nice and refreshing and also provides you with water while you're drinking, to help prevent dehydration.
Apparently Anonymous

Postby roband » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

The worst kind I have experienced is the tequila hangover. A complete different beast to the beer hangover. An uglier, eviller, nasty relation.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby mr_pathetic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

I'll echo the sentiment that sleep always helps.... whether or not you've had anything to drink..... oy. :)
mr_pathetic

Next

Return to General