2011 in Music.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 2011 in Music.

Postby Midnight » Fri May 20, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Amie wrote:I'm looking forward to the new Battles album - Gloss Drop.

You can definitely acquire that one already. It's awesome.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby Amie » Fri May 20, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

I is wanting to buy it and it's not out in my country yet :(
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby Midnight » Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

It shows how immoral I am, that I totally forgot that decent people actually buy their music.
ah well. if you want it, you could probably google "gloss drop site: mediafire" and get results.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby Amie » Fri May 20, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

No no it's just THAT album that I want to buy... most of my stuff is immorally obtained so you are not alone :P <3
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby bonzoWhale » Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Midnight wrote:It shows how immoral I am, that I totally forgot that decent people actually buy their music.

No they don't :)

Amie wrote:No no it's just THAT album that I want to buy... most of my stuff is immorally obtained so you are not alone :P <3

So that's my new nickname? Immorally?

Anyway... 2011 in music... so much to say so far, but right now this is what's on my mind:
Black Country Communion - 2
Merely 9 months after their debut, HOLY CRAP. That's good old-school rock :D
And one of the songs was composed originally by Page and Jones
bonzoWhale

Postby dedalus » Tue May 24, 2011 12:06 am UTC

idiohead wrote:Since The King of Limbs has been mentioned a lot ill bring up "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" by Mogwai, which has one of my favourite album titles ever. And its great album, a nice progression in their sound too. Actually wait, Gee Willikers second half of The King of Limbs is amazing.

Just got this album now... It's... Interesting. My first thoughts on playing the first track was 'Woah, this is like 40bpm too fast for the opening to a Mogwai album.' But after listening to it a few more times... I think I like it a lot. And there are some pretty amazing tracks on here as well.

Also, seconding the TKoL statement. That album is pretty fucking good.

And yeah, excited about new Devin too. hopefully he comes out to Aus and I can meet him again :D .
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.
dedalus

Postby Smiling Hobo » Thu May 26, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Bon Iver's self-titled album is incredible. Much better than For Emma, Forever Ago. Probably going to end up being AOTY for me. Like, shit, didn't expect this sound to come from him after For Emma.

And I didn't even know Battles was coming out with a new album--cool! Gonna get that now...
Last edited by Smiling Hobo on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Eat a kitten, save a cow!
Smiling Hobo

Postby charliepanayi » Thu May 26, 2011 8:24 am UTC

I really like the new Okkervil River album, and am starting to get into the new Wild Beasts as well as the debut from EMA. Still need to get new stuff from The Antlers, My Morning Jacket, Fucked Up, Battles and (especially) Bon Iver over the next month.

Plus I'm pleased to see The Horrors have their new album in July, as I loved Primary Colours.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Emma Louise - "Jungle".

My favourite new song of the year. It's spooky, but not in that Katy Perry way (where you have nightmares of a forty-foot woman demanding you poison her).

Haunting.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Maraki » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

This has a chance at being my favourite song of the year, although Dream Theater probably has more epic-ness in the upcoming months. I love how Dream Theater's sound has evolved - I just had an ear-gasm.
Maraki

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

September is already looking like it could be great - Ladytron, The Rapture St Vincent, Wilco and possibly Bjork too (plus Beirut at the end of August).

Halfway through the year pretty much, I'll have to think of my rough favourites thus far.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:She just wants to make you dance, why is that so bad?

I'll admit, I actually liked "Price Tag". However, I've been too afraid to check out the rest of the album because of all the negative reviews it has gotten.

Also, just skimming this thread, I realize that my playlist is hopelessly mainstream.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which are kinda the same thing.
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

The amount of playtime 'Price Tag' has gotten here probably compensates for the bad reviews. I've heard one other song, which called 'Do it like a dude' or something close to that, which was pretty awful. But then again, her acoustic performance at Jooles Holland was okay. So not sure.

Anyway, I'm liking Snoop Dogg's new album, Doggumentary, but only because it's Snoop Dogg, if that makes any sense. I just like the guy, but his music is hit and miss.

I'm a bit dissapointed with Evan Brewer's ( from The Faceless ) solo album, Alone. Al though it's admirable he recorded a solo-bass album, with every sound on it coming for a bass guitar, it doesn't really work for me. I guess I either expected too much or something else. But credit where credit is due, dude can play.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Fedechiar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 am UTC

Arctic Monkeys! "Suck it and see" was great, I really like how these guys' sound is evolving (and I'm gonna see them live in September - yay!)...
Fedechiar

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 am UTC

the only new album i have even heard this year is Union Black from Skindred
i'm very much behind the times when it comes to music.

Postby Jesse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Jesse wrote:She just wants to make you dance, why is that so bad?

I'll admit, I actually liked "Price Tag". However, I've been too afraid to check out the rest of the album because of all the negative reviews it has gotten.

Also, just skimming this thread, I realize that my playlist is hopelessly mainstream.

I also really like Nobody's Perfect. I'm not a massive fan of her or anything, but those two songs are really fun and dancey and seem to work well live, too.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Favourite albums of 2011 so far from the following: PJ Harvey, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Lykke Li, Low, Okkervil River, EMA, Fucked Up, Bon Iver

charliepanayi

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Ahem,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumford_and_Sons#Second_studio_album:_2011.E2.80.93present

Mumford and Sons album later this year. They played a bunch of new stuff at Bonnaroo and I melted.

/girly squeal
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby Adam H » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

Manchester Orchestra, Manchester Orchestra! Simple Math is so awesome.
Adam H

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:00 am UTC

So, what are the albums and songs people have discovered this year? I'm personally a fan of Austra's Feel it Break, Blood Pressures from the Kills, and the Florence + The Machine release. I've also heard very good things about the Black Keys, and Jonathon Coulton is probably worth a mention too.

Everyone else?

"Feel It Break"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

Ceremonials is my favourite album of the previous year. Absolutely spellbinding.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

I'm just going to throw down a rough list...

Bombay Bicycle Clup - A Different Kind of Fix
Decemberists - The King Is Dead
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Kaiser's Orchestra - Violeta Violeta
Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
The Naked and Famous - Passive Me, Agressive You
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

I've put a lot of time into listening to each of these albums.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

I liked Ceremonials too, but maybe not quite as much as Jesse. The king of limbs has also been mentioned enough but is fantastic.

Albums that haven't been mentioned which I really liked are
sleepmakeswaves - ...and so we destroyed everything
Meniscus - War of Currents

The new Opeth and Leaves' Eyes albums were both good and changed things up a bit from the previous stuff those bands had released. I mentioned an album by Maybeshewill earlier in the year and it's still fantastic. I'm still not sure if I like the Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) solo album heaps and I also picked up something by explosions in the sky but while it's nice and relaxing I actually find it less interesting than the post rock albums I already mentioned.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

Ceremonials has its moments, but I can't help but feel the loss of songs like Hurricane Drunk (my favourite from the previous album). I can appreciate wanting a more cohesive sound, but it's not the phenomenon the last album was. Still good, but not what I had hoped for.

My favourite album? Probably Violeta Violeta.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

Favourite albums of 2011:

20. The Rapture - In the Grace of Your Love
19. The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
18. Tom Waits - Bad as Me
17. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
16. Summer Camp - Welcome to Condale
15. Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
14. Tune-Yards - Whokill
13. St Vincent - Strange Mercy
12. The Decemberists - The King is Dead
11. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
10. Okkervil River - I Am Very Far
9. Wild Flag - Wild Flag
8. F***ed Up - David Comes to Life
7. Yuck - Yuck
6. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
5. The Horrors - Skying
4. Low - C'mon
3. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
2. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
1. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

charliepanayi

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

And I thought I was being expansive with just over half a dozen! :P
bigglesworth

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

Count me as another vote for Ceremonials. I've decided that Shake It Out is going to be Jude's Official Theme Song For 2012.
JudeMorrigan

Postby Fedechiar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

Ceremonials was a little weird for me - I hated it on my first listen, I loved it on my second, and now I like it - anyhow, seeing as it's the best of the albums that came out in 2011 from my favorite bands (the others being El Camino and King of Limbs), I vote for it too
Fedechiar

Postby dedalus » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:56 am UTC

I think new Mogwai tops the list for me, followed by Explosions, and then Radiohead. However, there's 3 albums (Dream Theater, Opeth, Steven Wilson) that I haven't listened to enough to know how I'd fit them in the 'list' (if there was one) - but they're definitely up there.

New Blackfield (Welcome to my DNA) and Pain of Salvation (Road Salt 2) also probably deserve a mention, but maybe less so - I definitely prefer the previous Blackfield albums, and although there's a few songs on RS2 that I really like, there's a few that I don't, and it's a bit of a let down after Road Salt 1 was so good.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.
dedalus

Postby Mumpy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:44 am UTC

I... can't stop listening to El Camino. Or Glass Swords by Rustie. That guy has exploded over the past few months and I think its awesome. Thinking about it, 2011 has actually been a year of gloriously weird sounds: M83, James Blake & Bon Iver, Rustie's EP and Hud Mo's new stuff. All lovely and ear bending.
Mumpy

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 pm UTC

Ceremonials for sure. I also didn't like it the first time around, but the echoiness was fixed by a good pair of headphones and then I loved it.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Ceremonials and Viktoria (Maria Mena) are my two most favorite albums of the year. The new Evanescence album wasn't too bad, either.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which are kinda the same thing.
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

I find it somewhat depressing how many people love Ceremonials.

charliepanayi

Postby Oflick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

I realised I didn't know much music from this year when I tried to vote for the ten best songs of the year. I couldn't think of 10 easily (without just listing 10 songs from "The Hunter").

Anyway, I'll give my top 5 of this year:

1. Mastodon - The Hunter
2. Wild Flag - Wild Flag
3. They Might be Giants - Join Us
4. Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and see (shut up)
5. Tonight Alive - What are you so Scared of?
Oflick

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:I find it somewhat depressing how many people love Ceremonials.

Oh boo fucking hoo, it's a great album. I apologise for my musical taste not lining up with yours.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:I find it somewhat depressing how many people love Ceremonials.

Oh boo fucking hoo, it's a great album. I apologise for my musical taste not lining up with yours.

So you should! ;)

charliepanayi

Previous

Return to Music