Fried Foods, or oh god why am I eating this?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Fried Foods, or oh god why am I eating this?

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

So, discussing things with my friends, we began discussing the idea of frying various things, from chicken-fried bacon(came up from denny's) to Fried biscuits and gravy.

It is the second one I am determined to make.

So I'm thinking I better make the dough a little more moist, and then inject the gravy inside prior to frying.

anyways, any ideas, or your own fried experiences?
418 I'm a teapot
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Re: Fried Foods, or oh god why am I eating this?

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 pm UTC

Yup.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

Thicken the gravy well, then chill it until it's set. Then cut it into cubes and freeze it. Wrap some biscuit dough around each cube and seal well, then fry. I would try a standard rolled biscuit dough first, as moisture hitting hot grease becomes steam, and is bad for your continued frying.
To deep fry, use a pot several inches taller than the fat you need to cover the food. This reduces spatter, and helps the temperature of the fat stay where you want it.
One possible outcome is that the dough absorbs a fair amount of the gravy, leaving you with a gravy-flavored gloppy item.
Good luck!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.
PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby semicharmed » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Thicken the gravy well, then chill it until it's set. Then cut it into cubes and freeze it. Wrap some biscuit dough around each cube and seal well, then fry. I would try a standard rolled biscuit dough first, as moisture hitting hot grease becomes steam, and is bad for your continued frying.
To deep fry, use a pot several inches taller than the fat you need to cover the food. This reduces spatter, and helps the temperature of the fat stay where you want it.
One possible outcome is that the dough absorbs a fair amount of the gravy, leaving you with a gravy-flavored gloppy item.
Good luck!

Using ice-cube trays might be even easier - you don't have to fill the cubes all the way, which would leave you with flat rectangles of gravy, which would probably be easier to seal into biscuit dough than cubes.

And I cannot second the advice about the pot SEVERAL inches deeper ENOUGH; also, if you're doing this on an electric burner, you want the pot to cover the whole surface of the burner. Ideally, it should overhang the burner by a good amount... grease can flare up really fast, as a roommate of mine learned when they tried to deep fry batter coated chicken. In a tiny saucepot. Over the biggest burner on the dorm apartment electric stove. We needed the fire extinguisher, and the apartment smelled awful for the next few days.

edit: forgot an "enough"!!!
Last edited by semicharmed on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
semicharmed

Postby Dason » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

semicharmed wrote:And I cannot second the advice about the pot SEVERAL inches deeper;

Why not?
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

All my kids love crispy-fried chicken livers, and I am an enormous fan of what is basically pan-fried chicken-heart stroganoff, which is fast-fry on high heat a ton of chopped onions, garlic, peppers and chicken hearts, and then at the last minute add a huge scoop of sour cream, mix it all up until it basically looks like disturbingly lumpy gravy, and then eating it. WIN.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby semicharmed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 am UTC

Dason wrote:
semicharmed wrote:And I cannot second the advice about the pot SEVERAL inches deeper enough;

Why not?

Forgot an 'enough' before the semicolon, it should make a LOT more sense now. Thanks for catching that!
semicharmed

Postby roband » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Sup. Bought some salmon earlier, as I don't eat enough fish. I also have some bread rolls which have today's date on.
Am I correct in thinking that salmon would work with a breadcrumb style crust?

If so, TIPS PLZ!

edit: errr, wrong thread, sorry
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby freakish777 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Deep Fried Dill Pickles.

That is all.
freakish777

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

The last time I was in Vegas, I had deep-fried reese's peanut butter cups. They were pretty epic. I was surprised that the cashier seemed surprised that someone actually ordered them. I certainly wouldn't eat them routinely, but heck. I was on vacation.
JudeMorrigan

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 am UTC

I always get the deep fried dough sticks when at dim sum. They are awesome.

I don't really do too much deep frying at home, not having a deep fryer and also wanting to keep the home a place where mostly healthy food is eaten.
dubsola

Postby weasel@xkcd » Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Fried feta cheese with some watermelon, mint and (if you're feeling it) thinly sliced red onion and a splash of balsamic vinegar tastes amazing. Had it in Greece and I've been looking forward to having the chance to try making it myself for a while.
weasel@xkcd

Postby semicharmed » Sat May 26, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

Chebureky! Which are like dumplings, but super-sized and fried. They're made with dough like pierogies/varenyky, filled with meat, and then fried until golden brown. At the Saturday bazaar in my village there is a truck that makes them fresh, and they've become part of my Saturday routine.

I will miss them (and a million other delicious Ukrainian foods) when I am back in NY soon.
semicharmed

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:Deep Fried Dill Pickles.

That is all.

These are amazing dipped in ranch.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby INVINCIBLE » Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I have heard of deep fried oreos.
INVINCIBLE

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat May 11, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Belial wrote:
freakish777 wrote:Deep Fried Dill Pickles.

That is all.

These are amazing dipped in ranch.

Apparently I need to try better ones, then, because my experiences were not good. Mostly because the base pickles they used were awful, I think.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby Woopate » Sat May 11, 2013 4:53 am UTC

INVINCIBLE wrote:I have heard of deep fried oreos.

These are delicious when sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. You can only eat about 5 max though. Deep fried pop tarts not so good.

Onion blooms are pretty great. Send an onion halfway through an apple slicer, deep fry. Break off onion wedges and dip it chipotle. Mmmmm.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat May 11, 2013 5:15 am UTC

There's a place near me called the Noble Pig, and their signature dish is beer-battered deep-fried pickles. Now, I hate pickles... and these are really quite good. They CAN be done extremely well! :D
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Return to Food