What am I supposed to do with *this*?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: What am I supposed to do with *this*?

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 am UTC

So today I made a very simple chicken and leek soup in the following manner.

Chicken bouillon
Lemongrass
Galangal
Cut-up thigh meat
Leeks

You will almost never hear me say this about a dish, but I think it really is begging for some fungus. Problem is, I so rarely use mushrooms that I don't really know where to start when the situation calls for something other than white/brown/giant button mushrooms. I don't like canned straw mushrooms. I have no idea what most of the other popular mushrooms taste like. Advice?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby poxic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 am UTC

According to my favourite reference for these things, you can try these (among other things) which go along with the lemongrass component:

basil
chile peppers
cloves
coconut [milk]
coriander
garlic
parsley
sage

Or these which go along with the leek thing (in addition to most of the things listed above):

anchovies
capers
cauliflower
oyster mushrooms
potatoes

Oyster mushrooms tend to be expensive but can often be found in Asian and/or high end and/or organic groceries. Around here, that is, and I can't imagine much of California being behind Vancouver, gastronomically speaking. They're mustier in taste than the button type, but usually still mild enough to not dominate a dish (unlike truffles, say).
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Nath » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:You will almost never hear me say this about a dish, but I think it really is begging for some fungus. Problem is, I so rarely use mushrooms that I don't really know where to start when the situation calls for something other than white/brown/giant button mushrooms. I don't like canned straw mushrooms. I have no idea what most of the other popular mushrooms taste like. Advice?

I recently picked up some dried shiitake mushrooms from the local Korean grocery. They work well in soups.
Nath

Postby Shro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Tomorrow is Tilapia Tuesday. I want something with lemons. And a side. I am at a loss.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?
Shro
science genius girl

Postby poxic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

TEAM SHIVAHN

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby roband » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

On a whim, I bought some red lentils - they're healthy, right?

So what can I do with them?
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby lucrezaborgia » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

roband wrote:On a whim, I bought some red lentils - they're healthy, right?

So what can I do with them?

Whatever you do, obsessively rinse them. Lentils can tend to come out gritty tasting.
lucrezaborgia

Postby poxic » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 pm UTC

They cook up easily in about 20 minutes or less, in about their own volume of water or a bit more. They tend to become an undifferentiated mass of lentil, rather than stay as distinct beans, so they're good for dals -- here's one link, searching for "red lentil dal" will get you lots more.

You can also add a (rinsed) handful to a Western-style stew or soup and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. With only a few lentils floating in each spoonful of broth, it adds texture and nutrition without turning it all the way into bean soup.
TEAM SHIVAHN

- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby dubsola » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:56 am UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:Whatever you do, obsessively rinse them. Lentils can tend to come out gritty tasting.

Hmm... I never rinse my lentils and haven't noticed any grittiness. Strange.

poxic wrote:They cook up easily in about 20 minutes or less, in about their own volume of water or a bit more. They tend to become an undifferentiated mass of lentil, rather than stay as distinct beans, so they're good for dals -- here's one link, searching for "red lentil dal" will get you lots more.

Yeah, red lentils and dal are like this *holds fingers together*. Dal is both healthy, simple and hard to fuck up. My favourite involves carrots:
0. Dry fry cumin seeds (or substitute ground cumin later)
1. Cut up onion, fry carefully until transulcent
2. Add garlic, ginger
3. Add grated carrot, cover, sweat
4. Add a pint of vegetable stock, red lentils, salt, pepper. (optional) add garam masala. Cook for about 15-20 minutes
5. (optional) add a chopped up tomato - this gives it a sweetness. Could also use tomato puree.

Eat with papadum and/or rice and/or roti. Super healthy, tasty and easy.
dubsola

Postby roband » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 am UTC

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I love indian food, so the dals sound good!

dubsola wrote:Eat with papadum and/or rice and/or roti. Super healthy, tasty and easy.

Is a roti similar to a chapati? I have a massive bag of chapati flour in the cupboard (again, bought on a whim!)
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby dubsola » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

Very similar.
dubsola

Postby natraj » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

this is my red lentil dal recipe i usually cook:

Spoiler:
Ingredients
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried red lentils
2 tablespoon tomato paste
4-5 cups water or veg broth
5 plum tomatoes, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 cup lightly packed chopped fresh cilantro

Spice blend
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6 whole cloves
4 cardomom pods

2 dried red chilis (seeds removed)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
In a saute pan over medium heat, toast the seeds (but not the dried red chili) for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from pan and let cool. Transfer to coffee grinder, aling with the dried red chili and cinnamon, and grind to a fine powder.

Over medium-high heat oil a soup pot, add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and saute 5 more minutes. Add spices and salt, saute 5 minutes more.

Add 4 cups of water and stir to deglaze the pot. Add tomato paste and lentils. Bring to a boil then lower the heat a bit and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro and more water if it looks to thick. Simmer 10 more minutes, or until lentils are completely tender.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.
natraj

Postby Nath » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

roband wrote:Is a roti similar to a chapati? I have a massive bag of chapati flour in the cupboard (again, bought on a whim!)

Roti is just the word for 'bread'; chapati is a simple flatbread made from whole wheat flour and water (also called 'phulka' in some parts of the country). Since chapatis are so common, this is what Indians usually mean when they say 'roti', just as Americans are usually thinking of some sort of sandwich-suitable leavened loaf when they say 'bread'.
Nath

Postby roband » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 pm UTC

Cool. I am certainly learning a lot at the moment.

Just stocked up my cupboards (and fridge and freezer too) with lots of stuff, so I'll be cooking lots in the upcoming weeks.

Need to find a couple of recipes for pork shoulder - the one I have is much too big, so I'm going to have to cut it into 3 bits, I think.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby lucrezaborgia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 am UTC

roband wrote:Need to find a couple of recipes for pork shoulder - the one I have is much too big, so I'm going to have to cut it into 3 bits, I think.

You could cook it down, shred it, and then freeze it into servings to add to various recipes.
lucrezaborgia

Postby roband » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Sup. Bought some salmon earlier, as I don't eat enough fish. I also have some bread rolls which have today's date on.
Am I correct in thinking that salmon would work with a breadcrumb style crust?

If so, TIPS PLZ!

edit: just found this recipe, http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/132/pes ... ted+salmon, and of all things for my lacklustre cupboards to contain... I have spinach pesto. It looks delicious, so will probs try this
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby dubsola » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

I made a complicated salmon breadcrumb dish once, and while it was nice enough, I didn't love it.

My favourite thing to do with salmon is to roast it with soy sauce. You need a heavy bottomed roasting dish of some sort, salmon fillets and soy sauce. Turn the oven on to 180, when it gets hot put the roasting dish in so that it warms up, then take it out, lay the salmon fillet skin side down, then drizzle soy sauce over it. I always put a bit of pepper on top of that. It takes about 15 minutes to cook in the oven, but it's hard to go wrong - take it out too soon and it's still tasty, just a bit soft on the inside, leave it in too long and it just gets a bit dry, which can be fixed with more soy sauce. It's super easy and pretty tasty.
dubsola

Postby roband » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

Awesome, well I bought 4 packs of salmon, each with 4 thin fillets in it, so I have plenty to try different recipes! ;)
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:19 am UTC

Thin fillets? Pan fry, in my opinion. You can also cook them on a gas or charcoal grill but I find that works best with a slightly thicker steak or fillet, otherwise it overcooks way too easily. I used to just rub fillets with prudhomme's meat magic and olive oil and pan fry them when I was younger. Now I'd rather have less seasoning but the principle is really simple and pan frying in a bit of oil makes the skin nice and crispy.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Previous

Return to Food