Neighbourhood Mafia - Game over: Mafia win!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:
t1mm01994 wrote:So, current standing: if neighbour of BF, MN or TMG dies, take a close look at them.

Beyond the common sense idea that if anyone's neighbour dies we should look at them, what is that supposed to mean? Is it just because we're not convinced that scum are limited to neighbour killing? The three of us make up half the game. The chances of anyone dying and not being the neighbour of at least one of us are very low.I hate to point FoS this early but that's a very fishy comment...

Yeah Tim, your point about those three makes even less sense than BoomFrog singling out yourself, Vieto and I.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

Not thinking straight there, excuse me. I was trying to say that if mechanics are so that NK can only go down on their neighbours, you would be likely scum. It would be absolutely horrid for scum if NKs are neighbour only that town knows that... At least we can give probable scumteams now; either 2 of TMG, MN and BF are scum, or 2 of mpolo, roband and Vieto... Or scum don't really care about the mechanics, which is possible as well. I find it likelier that scum is misleading somewhat and that teams are like that.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

What, so the game has been split in half because of differing viewpoints?

I don't see how my mistake can group me with ANYONE. I misremembered a post which was made months ago - how does that correlate with what other players have said?
Also, scum could be intentionally distancing, giving different opinions to seem separate from each other. Also, they could be intentionally attempting to link themselves with players they know to be town.

Tim, I don't think you'd be stupid enough to intentionally annoy everyone in the game by doing this - but you need to see why it doesn't make sense.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby t1mm01994 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

Not enough sleep, exam week, I think I'll be offline for a little while now. If you need to see me, I'm in my bed. Sleeping.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby mpolo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

The 50% thing I quoted was predicated on an "if" the mafia are limited to targeting their neighbors.

I agree that we have to be careful about accepting that it must be true that mafia only targets their neighbors, but if all of our protective and investigative roles are similarly limited, it might actually be true that they only target their neighbors.

However, I am leaning towards accepting that claiming is more dangerous than not claiming. Role-claiming doesn't help too much either, since the possible roles are public, and there is no guarantee that there is exactly one of anything (so that two Nurturing Neighbors doesn't necessarily mean that one is scum). Unless someone wants to claim "Nasty Neighbor". I would be perfectly happy with such a claim. :mrgreen:
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:33 am UTC

I think that right now it would be basically useless to scumhunt based on people's opinions on the nightkill. Not only do we not know for sure whether or not scum are restricted, but we don't know which side they would try to get us to beleive, or even if the scum are voicing the same opinions as their partner.

I do think however (for general purposes, since it seems we've already decided not to claim) that it would be pretty far-fetched for mafia only to be able to kill neighbors. It seems to me the whole point of the nightkill is the choice of who is killed. Also, the fact that the sign-up flavor said most roles is pretty telling. The mafia nightkill is the last ability that I would think of restricting to neighbors. I suppose we have to keep our minds open, but to me basing suspicions on the neighbors of dead players seems pretty groundless to me right now.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:14 am UTC

EBWOP: Just want to post my preliminary suspicions so we don't spend half of D1 arguing about Nks:

Looking back on Boomfrog's post it seems kind of weird. Two of the people (mpolo and timm) who he accuses of assuming that the NK was restricted had "If this is true..." type clauses either earlier in their post or in an earlier post. Vieto was the only one who accepted the restrition as certainty. Then later he expresses suspicion about roband (pretty reasonable, was cleared up later), timm and Vieto. I can understand the suspicion about Vieto, but why timm and not mpolo? I suppose, other than some weird townie mistake, there are two reasons: mpolo is his partner and he's hoping no one will notice, or timm's "if this is true..." clause was in a different post and he's hoping that it'd make him easier to attack. Disclaimer: I don't have any specific reason to be suspicious of mpolo at the moment, just keeping this in mind.

So basically, I find BF and Vieto a bit suspicious at the moment.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Vieto » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 am UTC

Upon re-reading, I realize that there was no definite implication that the mafia must only use their ability on their neighbor. However, I had (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the mafia could only attack their neighbors, and if that were the case, then my point stands. I realize now that it was not definitely stated, and that I had only figured it implicitly from Conman stating that most actions can only be directed at neighbors, and if that is not the case, then I am wrong. If I am wrong (which, in light of new evidence, may be the case), then revealing neighbors may be the wrong course of action. In this case, then my strategy is completely invalid, and actually can be used against us.
a.k.a. Cazador
User avatar
Vieto
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:I think that right now it would be basically useless to scumhunt based on people's opinions on the nightkill. Not only do we not know for sure whether or not scum are restricted, but we don't know which side they would try to get us to beleive, or even if the scum are voicing the same opinions as their partner.

I don't like that this is just parrotting me.

I do think however (for general purposes, since it seems we've already decided not to claim) that it would be pretty far-fetched for mafia only to be able to kill neighbors.

Seriously? I don't think it would be. It wouldn't make it obvious who scum are, until at least D3, by which point the scum have probably won or lost anyway.

It seems to me the whole point of the nightkill is the choice of who is killed. Also, the fact that the sign-up flavor said most roles is pretty telling.

Most = >50%
That's telling of NOTHING.
The mafia nightkill is the last ability that I would think of restricting to neighbors.

You are not the mod, it's not impossible.
I suppose we have to keep our minds open, but to me basing suspicions on the neighbors of dead players seems pretty groundless to me right now.

So you want to keep your mind open, but the whole post you made is about you're certain something isn't in place.
The only ones who know for sure are scum. And they're likely to want to misdirect us.

Sorry for quotesniping, but I didn't like a single part of your post.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:11 am UTC

roband wrote:So you want to keep your mind open, but the whole post you made is about you're certain something isn't in place.
The only ones who know for sure are scum. And they're likely to want to misdirect us.

Sorry for quotesniping, but I didn't like a single part of your post.


I'm sorry if I sounded overcertain. I tend to be a bit opinionated and my intuition got the best of me (I still, personally don't think it's likely, but it's just a feeling at this point) I tried to make it clear at the end that whatever seemed likely, we couldn't rule anything out because we didn't know.

As far as the first part, I can see how I was parroting your attitude but as far as I can tell it wasn't stated explicitly before. Maybe that part was a little redundant, but give me a break.

I find it a bit annoying that you didn't even mention the next post, where the first one was more of a segue than anything.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:11 am UTC

I didn't include mpolo because speculating on the idea is perfectly reasonable and leaves him fairly neutral in my mind. My question to T1mm wasn't really addressed still. The part I quoted seems to be coming from an informed frame of mind.

It's a little ridiculous to guess that I thought no one would note I left mpolo off the list after I'd included him earlier on my post.

Anyway, at least I know where this idea came from. I totally forgot the info from the signups.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:07 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I didn't include mpolo because speculating on the idea is perfectly reasonable and leaves him fairly neutral in my mind. My question to T1mm wasn't really addressed still. The part I quoted seems to be coming from an informed frame of mind.

It's a little ridiculous to guess that I thought no one would note I left mpolo off the list after I'd included him earlier on my post.

Anyway, at least I know where this idea came from. I totally forgot the info from the signups.


It came from the fact that conman said that most actions are usable on neighbors, and people (including me) misremembered and/or assumed that the mafia could only kill neighbors. However, upon realizing that this wasn't explicitly stated, revealing would actually harm town instead of helping it, and also realizing that if the mafia aren't limited to neighbors, and knew the town layout, then they could target a person with no mafia neighbors, and town would lynch one of them, who would also be town, and town would either lose or assume the other person was town.
a.k.a. Cazador
User avatar
Vieto
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby t1mm01994 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 am UTC

Sooo... In 2 posts I added a disclaimer, and in the third, I didn't. I was in a rush the 3rd post and I hoped people would remember from 2 posts above.
But, even without that assumption, the general statement in post 3 is still true. If a streetplan is known, scum would very likely kill the 1 (2) person(s) in between them.

Apart from that, I'm not too fond of the very precise quote sniping. I believe I said more than that 1 line.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:45 am UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:I find it a bit annoying that you didn't even mention the next post, where the first one was more of a segue than anything.

The second post was labelled an EBWOP, but it was posted nearly 4 hours later, and didn't refer to any of the same things. I didn't refer to it because it wasn't related to anything I had a problem with.

Vieto wrote:It came from the fact that conman said that most actions are usable on neighbors, and people (including me) misremembered and/or assumed that the mafia could only kill neighbors. However, upon realizing that this wasn't explicitly stated, revealing would actually harm town instead of helping it, and also realizing that if the mafia aren't limited to neighbors, and knew the town layout, then they could target a person with no mafia neighbors, and town would lynch one of them, who would also be town, and town would either lose or assume the other person was town.

Yep, the fact that some of us seem to have thought this and some of us thought the other way, makes me worried that we're arguing between townies - scum are just sitting back and letting us get more confused. This isn't for certain at all, but it's a worrying possibility.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby ConMan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

roband wrote:That said, I can see that nowhere has it been confirmed that scum can only kill their neighbours. I wouldn't say for sure either way though, unless we get confirmation from the mod.

Care to share?

You all seem to be having so much fun figuring it out yourselves. I don't want to spoil that.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 am UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:Sooo... In 2 posts I added a disclaimer, and in the third, I didn't. I was in a rush the 3rd post and I hoped people would remember from 2 posts above.
But, even without that assumption, the general statement in post 3 is still true. If a streetplan is known, scum would very likely kill the 1 (2) person(s) in between them.

Apart from that, I'm not too fond of the very precise quote sniping. I believe I said more than that 1 line.

I think you're missing my point, but it's ok, in rereading your first few posts I found a much better point.

t1mm01994 wrote:Odds for helpfulness:
Odds of scum being neighbours: 1/3
Odds of scum having 1 person in between: 1/3
Odds of scum having 2 persons in between: 1/3.
Odds of having exactly 1 scum neighbour, given that you're town: 8/15
Odds of having 2 scum neigbours, given town: 1/15
Odds of having no scum neighbours, given town: 2/5.

So, congratulations, 2/7 are scum and 3/5 town on average border on scum.
From this we can conclude that in 1/3 of the cases we're absolutely boned because scum have nightchat, and given that mpolo is right about the NK mechanics, in 1/3 of the cases scum still has the possibility to kill whoever they want. Ooh, and I wouldn't want to be that person stuck :p
Scum will only have nightchat in 1/3 of the cases? Really that's so fascinating. Again someone makes the very interesting assumption that scum will only have nightchat if they are neighbors. Normally scum have full nightchat regardless of the situation, so I find it interesting that two people have made the same bizarre assumption.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:15 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Normally scum have full nightchat regardless of the situation, so I find it interesting that two people have made the same bizarre assumption.


Actually, unlike the NK neighbors only assumption, in this case it is backed by the rules:
ConMan wrote:2. You may only PM your neighbours, and only during the Night phase. All PMs need to be CC’d to the Mod (i.e. me).
a.k.a. Cazador
User avatar
Vieto
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby mpolo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

I can't claim that I remembered chapter and verse on that one, but I was pretty convinced that we knew that chat was only between neighbors (even if scum were involved). Forgetting this is actually probably a small point in BoomFrog's favor, though. He does seem to be playing rather townie.

Apropos chat, it is interesting that we will be having two non-connected conversations each night with the neighbors on either side of us. It will be interesting to see what comes of those -- chat where you don't trust each other is often not particularly enlightening (see the anonymous messages in Death Note).
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Less than 3 days til deadline now then - time to get serious.

Vote: mostlynormal
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

roband wrote:Less than 3 days til deadline now then - time to get serious.

Vote: mostlynormal


I can't say I blame you, with the deadline getting closer and nothing really going on, but that vote really isn't too well grounded. I made one sort of unhelpful post followed by a post which was one of the few in this thread not about rule misunderstandings. You're accusing me of being too certain, but it's not like I was trying to convince people of anything. When I said we should keep an open mind, I meant it. I was trying less to communicate that everyone else should beleive what I beleive than communicate that I, personally, found the idea unlikely. Maybe that was sort of pointless, and maybe it was a mistake. But it's a pretty weak scumtell in general, let alone a reason to lynch somebody.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

Bleh, I was hoping you wouldn't be so rational.

Unvote

I got nothing here. The 'reason' I voted you is the strongest read I have off anyone, but you're right that it's not enough to lynch.
I was hoping your reaction would convince me a bit more. It didn't.

A test, if you will. Sorry.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

No need to be sorry. Like I said, I don't blame you.

In fact, you are looking pretty townie to me, both because of your vote and because of your earlier posts in general. Boomfrog also seems townie. I know thst I changed my mind. At first his aggressiveness put me off but based on the game I played with him and other old games I've read, that's just his townie style. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. The Masked Gecko seems pretty reasonable. T1mm was rather unreasonable at one time, but I don't think scum would risk posting sleep-deprived. By elimination that leaves Vieto and mpolo. I'm still not happy about Vieto's lack of a disclaimer, and neither of them have posted much content that doesn't deal solely with the rules. In fact, I'm going to

Vote: Vieto

So we don't stagnate.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:49 am UTC

I agree Vieto has posted almost no actual content. And he's been very long winded in his saying of nothing as well.

Vote Vieto
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby ConMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:42 am UTC

Current voting totals:

Vieto - 2 - Mostlynormal, BoomFrog

Approximately 2 days, 8 hours until deadline.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby mpolo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 am UTC

Yeah. I kind of forgot about this game one day, which put me way behind.

I did already say that BoomFrog was pinging me townie.
roband is seeming helpful, so I'm putting him tentatively on the townie side. But he fools me too often.

t1mm is playing probabilities, which is probably neutral. I find it annoying when we lose due to someone relying totally on probabilities, so tend to get a little grumpy with players who do so -- the probabilities are of course a tool, but at the end of the day, scumtells are much better. t1mm's isn't as egregious as some on this, because he's really just trying to understand the setup. At any rate, I don't see him trying to push a disastrous strategy for town based on the probabilities, so that is a big point in his favor.
MostlyNormal - roband made a detailed quote snipe on him, but I wasn't really terribly convinced. But the spotlight kind of leaves him in the neutral group.

Vieto - has very little content. Was quick to latch onto scum being able to kill only neighbors, but that could go either way -- a slip, an attempt to confuse, or misreading the rules.
TheMaskedGecko - In this quick "before breakfast" post, nothing has really stuck out. Which means that I need to look at him afterwards.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am UTC

So with mpolo putting Vieto at the scummy end of his ladder - let's look at reasons to lynch Vieto and reasons to not lynch Vieto.

5 posts after confirming and joking.

1. Rolespec. Didn't bother answering my question about if we should speculate on the roles, just did it. Good spec however, I agreed with most of it. Neutral.
2. Wants to reveal neighbours - gives town more to talk about. Assumption about mafia NK only working on neighbours. Asks mod a question regarding mafia knowing their partner. Scummy, then neutral, then suspicious (as in, it could be town asking an innocent question, or scum trying to be clever).
3. Clears up the mafia NK confusion. Accepts that revealing neighbours is a bad idea. Townie-neutral.
4. More clearing up of confusion. Townie-neutral as before.
5. Specifies rules to BF. Townie-neutral.

The only issue I can see is that he suggested revealing neighbours as a good idea, and this was based on something which I also believed. I am going to find it hard to support this lynch.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

roband wrote:The only issue I can see is that he suggested revealing neighbours as a good idea, and this was based on something which I also believed. I am going to find it hard to support this lynch.


The issue I have with him is less that and more his lack of non trivial content. His posts that you labeled townie neutral were mostly about clearing up random things, stuff that anybody could've done. I don't necessarily think the lynch would be a good idea, but it would sure be better than lynching someone else or a NL. Until we get more information, my vote stays.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

Ok, player analysis 1.

BoomFrog: Decent run down of the town map/neighbour kill issue. Towny so far.
mostlynormal: disagrees with neighbour kill idea. Changes his mind about BF, but that's understandable. Reasonable reaction to roband's weirdness, avoids Omgusing. Also towny.
mpolo: first brings up the now discredited town map plan. Ignores roband's weirdness in a very agreeably way. Neutral.
roband: the way he assumes that scum only have neighbour-chat pings me. I'm not sure how likely it is that he thought powers included chat especially considering that other experienced players dismissed that straight off. Takes a strange umbrage to one of mn's posts, following up with a barely backed up vote. Could have been hoping to start a band wagon before mn could defend himself. Leaning vaguely scummy.
T1m01994: he's made some strange comments. His original logic for neighbourclaiming is convoluted and based on a baseless assumption. Same goes for his grouping of me BF and mn. Explained by sleep deprivation, something with which I can fully relate. Just on the scummy side of neutral.
vieto: assumes too easily that scum can only neighbour-kill. However he does back up his neighbour only nightchat assumption, and that hasn't been discussed yet. Currently standing with Tim on the scummy/neutral border.
So going with my scummiest I will
Vote:roband
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

Urgh. Sorry all for barely readable post. Note to self: enter key exists for a reason.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 am UTC

My dislike of mostlynormal's one post and the vote were two separate things.

The stuff I quoted - I legitimately didn't like.
The vote, as I explained, was to see how he reacted to it. You don't get a bandwagon started with one vote (especially when it's based on "well, you're the most scummy at the moment out of a not very scummy bunch").

Please, tell me what you didn't like about either one of these things - don't lump them together and just say that it makes me look bad.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 am UTC

Oh and by the way
TheMaskedGecko wrote:roband: the way he assumes that scum only have neighbour-chat pings me. I'm not sure how likely it is that he thought powers included chat especially considering that other experienced players dismissed that straight off.

The only more experienced players than me in this game are mpolo and Vieto.

One assumed the same thing, the other didn't. I don't know what point you're trying to make.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am UTC

He's new here so he thinks I'm just as experienced as you. *snaps suspenders*

It is odd that you made that assumption though, when I would say it's possible but wouldn't assume scum lack nightchat. Night chat is generally not considered "a power" in my (admittedly more limited then your) experience. And while we're at it, conman said that most powers are limited to affecting neighbors. Most implies not all. If any power were going to be less limited I'd expect it to be the factional nightkill.

If vieto isn't scummy thin who is?

Speaking of scumlists. Vieto, how about an evaluation of our fellow players? I'd like to hear your scum hunting. Also I'm awaiting some sort of conclusion from mpolo, I know his last post was limited for time.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 am UTC

Vieto wrote:Actually, unlike the NK neighbors only assumption, in this case it is backed by the rules:
ConMan wrote:2. You may only PM your neighbours, and only during the Night phase. All PMs need to be CC’d to the Mod (i.e. me).


It wasn't only an assumption based on night chat being a power. It was a combination of that AND the above rule, previously quoted by Vieto.

It seemed logical to me. Scum need to have something to restrict them - I've already mentioned how I think they would have it very easy if they can kill just anyone, having unlimited night chat would only make that easier.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

You mean they come more experienced than BoomFrog? *quivers in fear*

My point was that the knowledge that Scum could only neighbour-chat wasn't just the observations of a more experienced playe. If, for example, a complete newby like me was the only one who didn't believe it then that could be discounted. The fact that BF was in agreeance meant I felt justified in not knowing that nightchat=power. I may have been wrong.

Of course it's possible that roband was just going on the 'chat between neighbours only' in the sign up thread. It's equally possible, considering his confidence (ie. lack of spec) in something which was later confirmed but only scum would previously know means that he slipped up as scum. As I've never played with him before I'm in a poor place to judge the probability of this.

So now to quote snipe a quote snipe:
I don't like that this is just parrotting me.

He says something that broadly agrees with you. He isn't parroting, just laying out a point and justifying it. If we're not allowed to form the same opinions as others then this game'll go nowhere.
Seriously? I don't think it would be. It wouldn't make it obvious who scum are, until at least D3, by which point the scum have probably won or lost anyway.

I'm in agreeance with mn. Limiting Nk to two choices/night would neuter the macias role.
You are not the mod, it's not impossible.

...and that reads, intentionally or not, as one of the most infantile arguments around. mn offers an opinion and you reply with the "Your not God, you don't know.
So you want to keep your mind open, but the whole post you made is about you're certain something isn't in place.
The only ones who know for sure are scum. And they're likely to want to misdirect us.

And finally this, about a post chockablock with qualifiers and ifs.

To me this doesn't read as a structured take down of a fawlty arguement, rather as a poorly formed attack.

I apologise for grouping it with the later vote but there did appear to be a connection between the two. I can see how the later would be a valid tactic.

To everyone: is it worth discussing what we think power roles should do. We don't need to roleclaim, just say something like 'I think any doctor-like role should target so-and-so'.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:
Seriously? I don't think it would be. It wouldn't make it obvious who scum are, until at least D3, by which point the scum have probably won or lost anyway.

I'm in agreeance with mn. Limiting Nk to two choices/night would neuter the macias role.

Yeah, but not enough to stop them winning, is what I'm saying. IF that is the case, they could still win. Therefore, the game COULD function that way.
IF scum can kill anyone, then the limitation on chat makes more sense. As in, they can kill anyone - making it easier, so they are limited by chat unless they can become neighbours.

This is a good situation for me to be in. By disagreeing with one of my ideas, you're making one of my other ideas (which you dislike me suggesting) seem more likely.

TheMaskedGecko wrote:
I don't like that this is just parrotting me.

He says something that broadly agrees with you. He isn't parroting, just laying out a point and justifying it. If we're not allowed to form the same opinions as others then this game'll go nowhere.

I appreciate this. I think I posted that in a particularly paranoid mood.

re: power roles - this discussion is ok, as long as we don't let it influence our decisions.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

I don't doubt that scum only have neighbour-chat:
conman wrote:Vieto wrote:
Do the mafia know who their partner in crime is?

Yes. Mafia are aware of each other, but cannot communicate directly unless neighbours.

I merely have issue with how you were taking it as gospel before that post.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

As explained, it was an assumption. I don't know what else I can say to make myself look better in your eyes.
User avatar
roband
Psychedelic Shrub
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Very little. Sorry. That is the problem with this game. We'll see what the others have to say.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby Mostlynormal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

Roband's assumption seems plenty reasonable for me. I can't speak for him but I know I assumed it was this way before Conman posted not only because of the rule Vieto quoted but because of this:

ConMan wrote:Anyone in the Mafia is a Nasty Neighbour. One Mafia member has the kill each night.


To me, this indicated that the mafia can't necessarily communicate (because if they could, they could just decide together), which in turn indicates that they only can communicate if they are neighbors. Basically, I think his assumption was perfectly reasonable.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:44 am UTC

Seven players left, seven hours until deadline - coincidence? Of course. But look out, the clock is ticking and your neighbour might already be loading his gun!

Current voting totals:

Vieto - 2 - Mostlynormal, BoomFrog
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests