Cringe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cringe

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:30 am UTC

I'm annoyed because they moved this show to my RP night and I have this mental block that keeps me from wanting to view tv shows online that I can watch on cable.

And I have been enjoying the past two seasons.

Maybe I should get it on DVD.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.
Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby legopelle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

So... William Bell reads Spock's book on baby and child care?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?
legopelle

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:So... William Bell reads Spock's book on baby and child care?

Of course. Also, bonus for what looks like a fullerene-based delivery system.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

One of these days, they have got to lampshade the fact that Nimoy plays Bell.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

I didn't like the latest episode at all. and at times it was very soap opera-ish. Also :

Spoiler:
the fate of the world depends on which Olivia Peter chooses? Come on now. I hope they don't jump the shark.
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

That reminds me. I read in an interview that JJ Abrams wanted to "earn the ability to tell stories on the other side". I want those episodes!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:49 am UTC

I'd never thought I'd say this but Fringe is losing me. Honestly, it started out as this little sci-fi show that over time became something great, but now it's like they're taking cues from Days of our Lives.

Spoiler:
Fauxlivia is pregnant. That was supposed to be a twist, but people were hinting at it over the internet anyway. Now we have the whole Pacey Peter/Olivia awkwardness going on with the whole "he still has feelings for her" BS. And now the other Olivia is pregnant. Come on writers, don't drop the ball now.
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby legopelle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

The last episode was weak. I felt completely indifferent to the characters fates. I want more semi-hard sci-fi, dammit!
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?
legopelle

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:53 am UTC

Or if not hard sci-fi, at least something better than this "Oh me yarm babby" shit. Investigate Broyles' death, dammit!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:47 am UTC

Spoiler:
Babies generally don't do TV shows any favors, as they don't contribute after being born, and prevent characters from being interesting. I predict this baby is either going to die or do a Connor fairly shortly.

headprogrammingczar wrote:Or if not hard sci-fi, at least something better than this "Gee Willikers babby" shit. Investigate Broyles' death, dammit!

Wish (kinda) granted, it seems.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby lemmings » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:16 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
Babies generally don't do TV shows any favors, as they don't contribute after being born, and prevent characters from being interesting. I predict this baby is either going to die or do a Connor fairly shortly.

Spoiler:
The accelerated aging brought the child forwards in development by ~7 months in less than a day. Rather remarkable. Even if this process dramatically slows down, in a few weeks, the kid will be of proper TV age known as adolescence, lets just hope he doesn't become the Wesley.

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
headprogrammingczar wrote:Or if not hard sci-fi, at least something better than this "Gee Willikers babby" shit. Investigate Broyles' death, dammit!

Wish (kinda) granted, it seems.

Spoiler:
This investigation will just conform Walternate's fear mongering about us!

They now know that the Olivia's swapped, twice, and that Broyles disappeared at the same time that ours left. Thanks to the GPS chips, they also know that our Olivia and their Broyles were at the same location when they both vanished.

Such an investigation could come to the conclusion that Walternate executed Broyles becuse he needed the mass to return their Olivia back home, or more likely they will see it as our Olivia kidnapping their Broyles, just as we did to Peter.
lemmings

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:22 am UTC

Spoiler:
Wtf? This episode was 100% filler. 40 minutes into the episode, we're back at the exact same point we where 40 minutes into the the previous episode. Fuck. You.

You, sir, name?

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon May 02, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
Wtf? This episode was 100% filler. 40 minutes into the episode, we're back at the exact same point we where 40 minutes into the the previous episode. Fuck. You.

Spoiler:
Except that there are now more loose ends that need to get tied up, as if we didn't have enough already.
KrazyerKate

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat May 07, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Wow, that ending is quite possibly the most unfair plot twist ever to appear in a TV show.
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby KeyserSoze » Sat May 07, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

Did the guys in hats forget that it was their fault this whole thing happened? If they hadn't been watching Walternate all those years ago, none of the world crossings would ever have happened.
KeyserSoze

Postby Link » Sat May 07, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Wow, that ending is quite possibly the most unfair plot twist ever to appear in a TV show.

Spoiler:
I can name a few from other series that are around the same level, but yeah, this is pretty high up on the list. I don't think it'll stick, though.

My prediction: a combination of Cortexiphan and the power of love will make Olivia remember Peter. That will quite likely be followed by trying to bring him "back", which will also put the universes back in their familiar state of SNAFU, providing more than enough material for another 20-something episodes.

Of course, if they don't undo the Ret Gone, I'd have to applaud them for making such a bold move (even though, or even especially because I like the character) - but I still really doubt that will happen.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:

Again! Raage!

You, sir, name?

Postby lemmings » Sun May 08, 2011 8:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
Am I the only one who wishes that they had stayed where the where after the first 15 minutes? I loved the alternate universe, I think that it's characters can be worked on a little more before we get bored of them, but I don't mind it being gone. With over-there gone, and over-here advanced 15 years, things looked quite interesting. Things got a lot worse, we had a new ZFTesq bad guy, but much worse this time. Also, there is no longer any hope. 6.5 billion people are dead thanks to Walter and we are next....

KeyserSoze wrote:Did the guys in hats forget that it was their fault this whole thing happened? If they hadn't been watching Walternate all those years ago, none of the world crossings would ever have happened.

I never took it to that step, but come to think of it, you're right. This last episode was great in terms of the characters but it introduced about a half dozen temporal paradoxes into the series.

Examples:
Spoiler:
Peter -> Special because he operates doomsday device -> Doomsday device created because the Universe is falling apart -> Universe is falling apart because Walter needed to save Peter -> Which only happened because the Observers were watching -> They were watching because he was special
Is this some attribute in the Observer's apparent non-linearity perception of time? :roll:

Spoiler:
Ok, lets ignore that paradox. How about the ending. Peters real purpose appeared to be informing Walter and Walternate that they need to work together to save the Universe, with this job done, he ceases to exist :shock:

So, Walter, Walternate, any concern over the kid you guys had who was standing, then just vanished? Nope, they forgot about him but apparently they didn't forget the conversation that he had 2 seconds earlier to keep them from ripping each other's throats out.

Spoiler:
Fringe has only touched the idea of time travel once before (well, kind of twice). This incident had been brilliantly executed to the point that they could ignore the whole causality problem without ruining anything. This time, not so much. Walter has to do X so that !Y happens, when he completely ignores that Y wasn't possible unless X came into existence. *headsplosion*
lemmings

Postby Link » Sun May 08, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Spoiler:
Of course, we're dealing not with one, but with two universes that are so thoroughly fucked up that the normal laws of physics are bent or broken on a regular basis. I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to cross between universes in the first place was a retrocausal effect of the breakdown in the future.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby roband » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Just saw the last episode of season 3:

Spoiler:
Wow. If they keep him dead/gone/forgotten, it'll be weird.
If they bring him back... it'll be weirder.

I'm not a great fan of the men in hats.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

It's back. And it's still good. Yay!

You, sir, name?

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

So Fringe is back on the air, finally. Now, some questions :

Spoiler:
As I understand, maybe I'm wrong, but Peter died twice in our universe correct? Original Peter died from sickness, and Walter brought the other Peter back and he died as well. But then, what about the machine? It can be activated only by Peter, but if Peter never made it to adulthood in either universe, what is the point of having the machine in the first place?
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby lemmings » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:So Fringe is back on the air, finally. Now, some questions :

Spoiler:
As I understand, maybe I'm wrong, but Peter died twice in our universe correct? Original Peter died from sickness, and Walter brought the other Peter back and he died as well. But then, what about the machine? It can be activated only by Peter, but if Peter never made it to adulthood in either universe, what is the point of having the machine in the first place?

That point was somewhat lampshaded in their first episode:
Spoiler:
Based on remarks by Olivia about her last partner and other remarks about Walter in that he's never had someone to ground him to reality, Peter never survived past 5 or so. It would seem that everything is consistent up to the point that Walter actually cured Walternate's Peter which means that the abduction still happened starting the whole mess.

Now, everything else, the last 3 years, the entire fracking series.... doesn't make any sense. Somehow events had been manipulated such that the same outcome occurred. I suspect the writers built up a series finale without realizing they got renewed and now they're scrambling for some degree of continuity.
lemmings

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Perhaps that's what the observer was meant to do with his device. To completely erase Peter from existence, and separate the two universes once again, in order to correct his mistake.
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby lemmings » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:20 am UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:
Spoiler:
Perhaps that's what the observer was meant to do with his device. To completely erase Peter from existence, and separate the two universes once again, in order to correct his mistake.

Spoiler:
One way or the other, Peter died for everyone, but he's the events that have happened are far too dependent on his survival for any degree of continuity between the two timelines. Apparently, the originally timeline must happen without corruption. This means that all of the times Peter's help in some way, it's been planted by the, poorly named, Observers. An echo of his existence still remains due to this.

The last scene, before Walters freak out, had the Observer deciding not to activate his device while presumably outside of his apartments. If he has to be nearby for it to work, that means that that echo is isolated to the people who knew him best, if my theory is correct, expect Olivia at least to see Peter in the next few episodes. With independent conformation that Walter's not that crazy, they will conduct an experiment to try to bring Peter back. Assuming Joshua Jackson renewed his contract, it will work. :D

If I'm wrong, feel free to haze me... but if I'm right, hire me to be your stockbroker.
lemmings

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

Fringe. Y u so awesome?!

Spoiler:
Walter Bishop wearing a tin foil hat.

You, sir, name?

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:38 am UTC

Not gonna lie, I had teary eyes in that scene with the kid.
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Link » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Gah, red herring episode. I expected the energy to be Peter right at the first incident. At least this episode confirmed that most of the cases we've seen never happened in this timeline. Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey!
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

Every other episode I'm awestruck by John Noble's acting.

You, sir, name?

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

Only every other episode?
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Only every other episode?

The others I forget the role isn't played by an actual drugged up half-senile scientist.

You, sir, name?

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wow, cool episode. I'm glad they didn't take the easy road and stretch Peter's search for Olivia and Walter. Instead, same episode, bam!
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:26 am UTC

Ok, I just watched the show on the 11th and there were some things that bothered me. I probably should get used to the point that they don't really relate to the plot, but still...
Spoiler:
1. When the doctor and the shapeshifter were at the gas station, they got out of the car, he put about a dollar's worth of gas in, based on how long it was before he put the nozzle back, and then put the nozzle back. I thought this would be fixed by when he went inside to put $20 on, but then he just got in the car and went on their way. Why?

2. The doctor said the serum he made had to be centrifuged to finalize the process. Later, he takes it out of what I assume is a centrifuge and then tilts it. Maybe it just bothered me cause I'm always working with centrifuges, but seriously?

I know I should ignore the most obvious lapses in logic, but it's hard sometimes when there is just no common sense involved.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

Your point #1 is likely explained by lazy choreography (read IMDB's pages for some movies to see how common it is).
Your point #2 is explained by "TV doesn't understand science". Fringe is an especially egregious offender.
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby eeris » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Query:

Spoiler:
Is Peter the Peter from the future that buried Olivia or did they only send back a message to present Peter telling him to make a bridge and not destroy the other universe?
eeris

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
yeah, there was some weird time lapse psychicness that gave present Peter thr info from the future. it isnt the future Peter that came back.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 pm UTC

This show just keeps getting better with every episode that passes.

You, sir, name?

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:This show just keeps getting better with every episode that passes.

On the rare occasion an episode actually does pass. Seriously, are they doing like 1 episode every 2 months now or something?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:45 am UTC

Seems like they're running the rest of the season mostly uninterrupted from now on.

Sometimes I think Nina Sharp is Fauxlivia from the future. Which may sound far fetched. But then, this is Fringe, and I honestly wouldn't put it past them.

You, sir, name?

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Seems like they're running the rest of the season mostly uninterrupted from now on.

Sometimes I think Nina Sharp is Fauxlivia from the future. Which may sound far fetched. But then, this is Fringe, and I honestly wouldn't put it past them.

Given all the weird 'Time and Space' stuff that's happened with this series so far, I can agree with this statement...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.
Triangle_Man
WINNING

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows