My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

There are probably some good moments but it's just so painful seeing them in a room full of fans, they're probably intimidated. I can't watch it.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Postby eeris » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:There are probably some good moments but it's just so painful seeing them in a room full of fans, they're probably intimidated. I can't watch it.

It's not nearly as bad as you think it might be.
eeris

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Depends, how would you feel being interviewed by some apple cider?

Edit: Do yourself a favor though, and avoid the comments.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

eeris wrote:
Game_boy wrote:There are probably some good moments but it's just so painful seeing them in a room full of fans, they're probably intimidated. I can't watch it.

How bad are the fan questions?
Game_boy

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

My main complaint, watching it, is that the video is made from inside the crowd. So the happy fan yells are 3-4 times as loud as the people on the panel talking. They come off as more appreciative than intimidated, but these are the voice actors who decided to come and they're actors. The panel moderator so far (I'm about halfway through) deflected the only unreasonable request that came through ("do this voice!" "Lets leave that up to them at the end of the panel!").
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

There's a summary thread over here of the whole con, there's some other comments about the panel as well. (Those guys are very anti-creepy, so if anything I think it's a safe site to link and a trustworthy source.)
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:There's a summary thread over here of the whole con, there's some other comments about the panel as well. (Those guys are very anti-creepy, so if anything I think it's a safe site to link and a trustworthy source.)

Thank you for this.
Game_boy

Postby eeris » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
eeris wrote:

How bad are the fan questions?

All fan questions were screened by the people running it and they were pretty standard affair. There are various different cameras recording it, the one I watched was alright but not great (just a recording of the live stream). There's an HD one with great picture quality but the camera is right in the crowd and like Vaniver said, whenever the crowd made any noise it drowned out the VA's voices.

With regards to the latest episode:

Everytime there's a Sweetie Belle episode she becomes my favourite CMC, but then there's an Applebloom episode and my allegience changes so easily.

Spoiler:
Not much to say about the plot of the episode itself although I could relate. Enjoyed the massive info dump about the ponyville and the world. Loved the way the timber wolves were animinated.
eeris

Postby Sartorius » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:12 am UTC

Right, this is a bit off-topic right now, but I really must respond to it because Twi is my favorite pony.

Spoiler:
The Scyphozoa wrote:I consider myself a nerd but none of my friends or I are anything like her. She's a bookworm, not a nerd in the new, cooler sense of the word.*

If she's the nerd of the group, then it's kind of for the same reasons people dislike The Big Bang Theory.

It's hard to describe. It's like she's the one the writers tried to connect to realistic human personalities, but that just doesn't feel like it fits in that world. The other five are playful exaggerations but with a necessary ground to reality that keeps them from being too extreme. Twilight is like a normal person but with, well, almost some parody laid on top.

The reason I say little kids would like her is that she's the first pony introduced,,and I think small minds have a tendency to "default" like that.

*20% cooler

I like Twilight Sparkle because I'm a grad student in the sciences and I am basically her. I try upmost to be rational and reasonable about everything but I am absolutely, positively, completely terrified of disappointing my advisor (see: Lesson Zero). I too was told to stop hitting the books so hard and start making friends. There are many other instances where Twilight will do something and I will sit there and go, "Oh God, that's me."

If you're upset that she seems like a normal person and that what I'm saying is just emphasizing your point, I'm not sure why you don't get the same vibe from Applejack. To me, Applejack seems like the most normal, multifaceted, down-to-earth pony of the Mane Six. I personally love the more normal personalities. I find it...smarter, for lack of a better term. More intriguing and endearing and what I love about the show and what separates it from normal kids' shows. The characters are not just character tropes of Happy-Go-Lucky/Prissy/Sweet-and-Shy-But-Don't-Piss-Her-Off. They have depth to them and aspirations and concerns you can relate to even as an adult.

I thought people disliked the Big Bang Theory because the near-constant laugh track is super annoying.

Overall, though, it seems like you don't like the kind of nerd I am as a character. That's okay, but it hurts a bit because it does seem like you really feel your type of nerdiness is superior and that you are looking down on me. But I could be taking this all way too personally.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Sartorius

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 am UTC

Yes, I think you are. And I sure hope you're not actually as manic as Twilight is.

There's also the fact that every time she opens her mouth she sounds like she's either reading or dictating, even when she's not. Kind of grinds my eardrums after a while.

And I do get the same vibe from Applejack a little bit, but there are reasons that I make an exception. The accent/dialect is endearing. Her element is actually a real thing, magic is not. And most importantly without her there would be no Apple Bloom.

She's my favorite CMC. I really like CMC episodes, but I wish they'd lose the habit of putting two of them in a row.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Soralin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Her element is actually a real thing, magic is not.

But Friendship is, and Friendship is Magic. :)
Soralin

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:

But if Magic isn't real, and Friendship is Magic, then does that mean that Friendship isn't real either?

:twisted:

And I guess Twilight's may favorite character, too. Based on this and the fact that I also liked Rose Lalonde in Homestuck, it seems as though I have a thing for characters who are 'intellectual' or 'well-read' in some sense of the word, characters who display a higher degree of common sense when compared to other members of the cast (and thus end up in a kind of 'straight man' role) and the colour Purple.

So...um...yeah...

Edit - I also noticed that a large number of people here have the Purple Unicorn as their favorite character (or one of them).

Does this make us all Twilight Fans?

:twisted:
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.
Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 am UTC

Blind Bags made it to the US! I was just at Wal-Mart today, too, but didn't know beforehand. :( I have to wait for the second wave for the Big Macs, anyway, but I ought to at least pick up a Twilight.

Vaniver

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
Soralin wrote:

But if Magic isn't real, and Friendship is Magic, then does that mean that Friendship isn't real either?

This was the moral of episodes one and two, yes.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:09 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:
Soralin wrote:

This was the moral of episodes one and two, yes.

Triangle Man used 'Joke'!

It wasn't very effective...

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.
Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:38 am UTC

I'm going to go ahead and say that Friendship is Witchcraft is more entertaining than Friendship is Magic. I kind of hope they eventually do one for every episode, but then not all of them would be very good.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

The Scyphozoa

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:29 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I'm going to go ahead and say that Friendship is Witchcraft is more entertaining than Friendship is Magic. I kind of hope they eventually do one for every episode, but then not all of them would be very good.

I am leaning this way too a bit.

It is very different though. I like that FiW is darker (but still is very cheerful), so I think that's why.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Weeks » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:49 pm UTC

Apropos of nothing.

hZIFf.png
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am UTC

You know, I bet you could use Unicorn Magic to force choke someone, especially since telekinesis seems to be a part of the package.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Weeks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am UTC

Especially Twilight, as evidenced in Green isn't your Color
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Especially Twilight, as evidenced in Green isn't your Color

Let's hope she never reaches the same stage of anger reached by DBZA Vegeta, then.

It would be like 'Carrie' as done by Cartoon Ponies.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:It would be like 'Carrie' as done by Cartoon Ponies.
Can anyone here animate? Someone get on that.

Although I guess in the MLP universe obtaining pigs' blood would be the more heinous crime.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!
Mr. Mack

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:31 am UTC

You can ask the Friendship is Witchcraft version of Applejack about that.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

Oh god... ponies change diapers WITH THEIR MOUTHS.

Was anyone else thinking of Jack-Jack Attack during that episode?

The Scyphozoa

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

All I was thinking was d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww and Oh me yarm Oh LEVITATION
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:All I was thinking was d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww and Golly Gosh Darn Gee Wiz LEVITATION

Spoiler:
Unicorn "flying" and month-old babies with super-strength and unlimited magic capabilities are things I never want to see again. Being inconsistent with the world rules (like introducing cranes or coal-powered trains as has been done) is the fastest way to stop people investing themselves in the show.

Also the gross-out diaper related scenes. Did that have any value other than shock?

The parts of the episode without either of those were good, but I can't rate it highly because they were so few.
Last edited by Game_boy on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Game_boy

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

I believe it has to do with grown-ups having to deal with that stuff (so they identify with Pinkie) and little kids realizing how much work their parents have to put into them.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby eeris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I wanted it to be that Pinkie had actually fallen asleep from exhaustion after putting them to bed and was simply having nightmares about not being able to deal with them, then waking up to find that she'd handled the responsibility fine.
eeris

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm UTC

Spoiler:
That's honestly what I was worried it would be. I'll have real world craziness over predictable tropes any day, thank you very much.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:47 am UTC

Eh. I wanted Pinkie's "Pff! Screw you for correctly judging I was in over my head and coming to help!" to backfire on her, and for the lesson to be about accepting help when you need it. But apparently that was too Applebuck Season.

Vaniver

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:42 am UTC

I expect\hope this goes down as my least favorite episode. Forever.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby eeris » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Spoiler:
That's honestly what I was worried it would be. I'll have real world craziness over predictable tropes any day, thank you very much.

Spoiler:
I'd rather have had the predictable trope than the craziness that messed with the worlds physics.
eeris

Postby Weeks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

But Pinkie Pie...! =(

BTW: The Hub is having a Spike-a-thon to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Neat.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby eeris » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:But Pinkie Pie...! =(

Yeah, but, Pinkie Pie!
eeris

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

Listen guys, obviously Pinkie Pie is best pony. But obviously this episode wasn't best episode.
ArgonV

Postby Weeks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

If it was best episode, everyone would be happy about it except me :L

That said, yeah, there's many episodes that were better than this one. And I would rewatch Merriweather William's eps with pleasure, I don't hold grudges (and I apologize for flipping out).
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby FuzzyPanda » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 am UTC

Isn't anyone concerned that two earth ponies gave birth to fraternal twins, neither of which is an earth pony? This should be a huge issue!

According to the internet, it is possible (although extremely rare) that twins may have different fathers or be conceived one at a time - http://multiples.about.com/od/funfacts/ ... ternal.htm - so at least that problem is resolved.

Even if the story about distant relatives being unicorns and pegasi is true, this episode implies that the genetics of pony type are very simple (2x2 punnet square simple). Perhaps the genetic code for wings and magic is incredibly complex but each can be *disabled* by a single allele. The question then comes up: how is it possible that the earth pony allele survived when the other two types are clearly more adapted for survival? Cultural practices* may have maintained the number of earth ponies during recorded history in Equestria, but how is it possible that they survived during the pre-civilization era? So many questions!

*Ponyville seems one of the few places with more than one type of pony. Appleloosa, Cloudsdale, etc.

EDIT: Nevermind, all my questions have been answered bronies.memebase.com/2012/01/18/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-biology-is-magic/
FuzzyPanda

Postby big boss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:30 am UTC

I posted this in the skyrim thread, but for those of you who don't look at that thread I'll post it here.

Cool Skyrim Mod
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 pm UTC

The Last Roundup thoughts while watching:
Spoiler:
I didn't much enjoy the Derpy Hooves bit at the start, but I can appreciate that it was a fan call-out and established the need for Applejack to procure some money.

Loved the cherry conveyor belt scene. Especially Rarity's line: "Were you insulted when I insulted your hair?"

So... the Pinkie Pie as torture routine. That strikes me as surprisingly self-aware.

As a youtube commenter put it:
DAL0525 wrote:"I can't tell y'all the truth."

ELEMENT OF HONESTY HERE.

"Try to catch me now!" "Aw, nuts."

I laughed quite a bit at Rarity and Pinkie Pie at the end. The number of times the mane 6 will just forget about someone is mildly distressing (like Spike at Twilight's birthday, or leaving Rarity and Pinkie Pie to make it back to Ponyville by themselves).

Overall, very much enjoyed this episode.

Vaniver

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows