Gaming Mice

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Gaming Mice

Postby Zapheod » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

I have been spending quite a bit more time on my PC gaming lately and have been thinking of investing in a decent gaming mouse as an upgrade to my current 2 button mouse.

I play a mixture of FPS(BF3) and RPG(SWTOR/Skyrim). I have no experience with gaming mice at all and am looking for any suggestions anyone has. The coolest looking mouse I have found so far is the Cyborg R.A.T. 7 but the reviews on it are pretty mixed. Not looking to spend more than $100.
Zapheod

Re: Gaming Mice

Postby Kick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:19 pm UTC

I didn't know much at all about gaming mice but I liked the Microsoft Sidewinder X8. One day I saw it on sale on Newegg for much cheaper than it normally was and bought it. Overall, I'm quite pleased. Not only is this mouse better than what I had before, it is wireless, so that was a big improvement. I find that while it has two programmable keys on the side, I usually only use them when browsing and not for anything special in-game.

It also fits in my hand quite comfortably. Anyway, what I've found the most helpful is actually seeing the mouse for yourself. It is very easy to get caught up in the specifications and what other people say about a mouse, but the most helpful advice I can give you is this: Go to a store that has the mice you're looking at, and get your hands on them.

Oh, and brands that I hear are good:
Razer
Logitech
Microsoft (meh, I like mine, but they don't seem to make many others)
I'm never sarcastic.
Kick

Postby Dthen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

Find one which is comfortable and has enough buttons to suit your needs.

Comfort is of course, the most important thing. You might need to go to a shop with some mice in person to see how they feel in your hand.
I like cats.
Dthen
You talk too much, you talking cat

Postby Obby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

I have the Logitech G500. Fantastic mouse. It fits my hand, wasn't overly expensive, has adjustable DPI (which is awesome for FPS games), and even has a weight tray you can use to tailor the mouse's weight how you want.

Plus, it's a tank. I've had it for approximately two years, and it still is kicking just like the day I got it. It even survived my apartment fire unscathed, after having gallons and gallons of that chemical-liquid they use to put out fires poured over it from the firefighters.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:17 am UTC

Dthen wrote:Find one which is comfortable and has enough buttons to suit your needs.

Comfort is of course, the most important thing. You might need to go to a shop with some mice in person to see how they feel in your hand.

This.

I will second the durability of Logitech's stuff, though. Got my first-gen G5 when they were new, I've worn out a mousepad with it and worn the finish down to plastic in places, and it still works like the day it was new.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby TranquilFury » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

There are a few basic considerations:
How many buttons do you really need?
Grip type: Palm/Claw/Fingertip
Sensitivity vs monitor resolution. When moving your mouse, do you move just wrist, or whole arm? If you play FPS, what distance of the mouse movement corresponds to a 180° turn in game? What is your monitor resolution?
Sensor type, performance, and quirks.

I suggest heading to the OCN mouse forum for more detailed information.
TranquilFury

Postby procupine14 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

Since I typically use a claw grip for gaming (not to mention the fact that I have large hands) the logitech G9x is what I ended up purchasing. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I like the textured grip that is has just in case my hands get sweaty. The mouse that I had before that was a Logitech G7. I had that mouse until the firmware locked up on it outside the warranty period. That was also a nice mouse but I wasn't terribly fond of swapping out the battery packs on a regular basis and went back to a wired mouse after it died.
procupine14

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

I am very fond of the Roccat Kone[+].
Amnesiasoft

Return to Hardware