Cringe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cringe

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

That only makes sense on this timeline, because in the old timeline Nina and Olivia met when she started working for Fringe.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 am UTC

I saw an observer walk by in the background in the money crowd in the latest episode.

UniqueScreenname wrote:That only makes sense on this timeline, because in the old timeline Nina and Olivia met when she started working for Fringe.

I don't see how this is a contradiction.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

I think they put at least one observer in every episode, as an inconspicuous background thingy. If you were so inclined, you could probably go through every episode looking out for them.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

About the latest episode :

Spoiler:
Nina and DRJ were talking about some woman being almost ready. Does this mean we'll get a third Olivia? Must be, since Nina was drugging her and most likely experimenting on her. I think 3 versions of a same character is too much.
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:46 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I saw an observer walk by in the background in the money crowd in the latest episode.

UniqueScreenname wrote:That only makes sense on this timeline, because in the old timeline Nina and Olivia met when she started working for Fringe.

If they didn't know each other, they can't be the same person. At least Nina should know her.
broken_escalator wrote:Everyone knows afros are a hard counter to petrification.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.
UniqueScreenname

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I saw an observer walk by in the background in the money crowd in the latest episode.

If they didn't know each other, they can't be the same person. At least Nina should know her.

Sure they can. Just means Olivia didn't know Nina, and Nina didn't want to reveal she was Olivia from the future of another timeline.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby Alder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 am UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:About the latest episode :

Spoiler:
Nina and DRJ were talking about some woman being almost ready. Does this mean we'll get a third Olivia? Must be, since Nina was drugging her and most likely experimenting on her. I think 3 versions of a same character is too much.

Spoiler:
When you say 3, don't you mean *5*? We've already had original (blue universe) over-there (red universe) New-timeline (orange universe) and New-timeline-over-there (hasn't had a colour yet, I don't think)...

I suspect it may be a clone/shapeshifter 'version' of Olivia that they've been cooking, for some reason...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.
Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 am UTC

Hey, what ever happened to Olivia's sister and niece? I was watching old episodes and realized that I'd completely forgotten that they existed at one point.
KrazyerKate

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Have to say I was very underwhelmed with the latest episode.
Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Alder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:Hey, what ever happened to Olivia's sister and niece? I was watching old episodes and realized that I'd completely forgotten that they existed at one point.

Well, since this season (which I'm calling the Orange universe) we're in a different timeline, they could be anywhere. Alive, dead, not speaking to Olivia, living in Venezuela...or they could pop up next week for a nice wee holiday. :D

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.
Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:

Sure they can. Just means Olivia didn't know Nina, and Nina didn't want to reveal she was Olivia from the future of another timeline.

since there is only one Nina, I would not put it past the producers to do this either, but, if Nina is from the future, that means that William must also be from the future, as a) there is only one William, and b) he basically seemed to have technology from the future at his disposal.
so William could be Peter perhaps?

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:

since there is only one Nina, I would not put it past the producers to do this either, but, if Nina is from the future, that means that William must also be from the future, as a) there is only one William, and b) he basically seemed to have technology from the future at his disposal.
so William could be Peter perhaps?

While this isn't a disqualifier, I doubt it, because Peter was kinda freaking out when Bell stole Olivia's body. It seemed like he was morally against it. Perhaps "future Peter" wouldn't mind, but I don't know if a person changes that much throughout life.
UniqueScreenname

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:[Quote Pyramid Of Doom]
While this isn't a disqualifier, I doubt it, because Peter was kinda freaking out when Bell stole Olivia's body. It seemed like he was morally against it. Perhaps "future Peter" wouldn't mind, but I don't know if a person changes that much throughout life.

People do indeed change that much in a lifetime. It would hardly be a stretch considering what this show normally stretches.

And, you know, they'd have to stretch his nose and ears for a start.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

They'd have to remove a few vertebrae to make Fauxlivia into Nina.

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

Okay what the shitting cuntwaffles? Episode 19 spoilers.
Spoiler:
There has been precisely zero foreshadowing of an Observer invasion, no build-up, nothing. Just some text going "oh by the way, these bald guys with trilby hats have migrated here from the future and subjugated us, and for some reason they left all their womenfolk behind in the future".

Also, [morbo voice]ANTIMATTER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. GOODNIGHT.[/morbo voice]
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Alder » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Yeah, my first reaction to that episode was pretty much, "... ... ... ...?"
After a bit of time passed though
Spoiler:
does this explain why the Observers have been, well, observing? If they're 'future humankind', who've finally succeeded in destroying/ruining the planet, were the scientists sent back in time to find the optimum time to invade and steal the planet from us? That still does leave loads of questions, though like, what happened to all the women, and why is all this interfering not mucking about with their own timeline horribly, and why are they suddenly so very *horrible* after being so very neutral?

Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I honestly thought they were just time tourists, only interfering to correct events that disrupted the timelines. Or they were just documenting the weirdness that Fringe investigated. As for the grandfather paradox, I guess the invasion just created a parallel timeline.

Also, I don't buy the explanation that they're refugees from a ruined Earth. When Peter did that mind reading thing with one of them, it looked like they were capable of long distance space flight. Could they really not find a habitable planet out there?

And yeah, suddenly going from being the epitome of neutrality to brutally evil is extremely jarring.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Okay what the shitting cuntwaffles? Episode 19 spoilers.
Spoiler:
There has been precisely zero foreshadowing of an Observer invasion, no build-up, nothing. Just some text going "oh by the way, these bald guys with trilby hats have migrated here from the future and subjugated us, and for some reason they left all their womenfolk behind in the future".

Spoiler:
Well, they have been taking increasing liberties over the last season or two. But I like the lack of foreshadowing. Makes for very entertaining television. And it's not like they actually took over suddenly. There probably was buildup, except we missed it in the time skip.

I'm not sure we're getting the full picture though. Feels like David Robert Jones' plans are going to be related to what's going on somehow. Not entirely certain on who's team he's on though.

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, [morbo voice]ANTIMATTER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. GOODNIGHT.[/morbo voice]

Spoiler:
Could just have been the fuel for the device.

Also, the usual John Noble is an awesome actor.

You, sir, name?

Postby Alder » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
When Peter did that mind reading thing with one of them, it looked like they were capable of long distance space flight. Could they really not find a habitable planet out there?

Now *that* I totally missed. Hmm... <ponders>

Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby SlyReaper » Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

So was that observers episode non-canon or something?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Alder » Sat May 05, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:So was that observers episode non-canon or something?

What would make you think that?

Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Fringe just became this cool

You, sir, name?

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat May 05, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
7ieCZ.jpg

Spoiler:
I have to say, Nimoy coming back was a complete surprise to me.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 06, 2012 8:22 am UTC

Alder wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:So was that observers episode non-canon or something?

What would make you think that?

I just don't see the point in time skipping for a single episode and then skipping back as if nothing happened. There has been no foreshadowing of it in the episodes since, so it just seems completely out of place. Which is a shame because I want to know what happened next.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Chen » Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I just don't see the point in time skipping for a single episode and then skipping back as if nothing happened. There has been no foreshadowing of it in the episodes since, so it just seems completely out of place. Which is a shame because I want to know what happened next.

Yeah I felt the same. I figure though its building something up for next season or just the future in general. I mean the episode itself was fairly convoluted in making sure to get the team back together, it definitely felt it was leading to something. That or the writers just wanted to show off how they could get people invested into new characters through just one episode.
Chen

Postby Alder » Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I just don't see the point in time skipping for a single episode and then skipping back as if nothing happened. There has been no foreshadowing of it in the episodes since, so it just seems completely out of place. Which is a shame because I want to know what happened next.

Hmm, ok. I guess I didn't read that much into it. I thought it was just a general glimpse of the future that September tried to warn Peter about - an extra reason for us to be invested in the Fringe team succeeding, 'cause if they don't, that's what we end up with. Or something...

DRAT IT, I'M THE LAST POST AND I JUST FOUND SOMETHING INTERESTING!!!

Oh well, edit button it is.

Remember how we were all taken aback by the behaviour of the Observers in episode 19?

I'm watching episode 3 of season 2, and Broyles is interviewing the crazy Colonel guy who was turning ex-soldiers into exploding crystal bombs.

Broyles: What was in the briefcase?

Colonel guy: They told you I was crazy, didn't they? The Pentagon. They said I'd had a psychiatric break. I told them what I'm telling you: that they are here, collecting data, making observations. That's what's in the briefcase. They've been planning for war. And they've been passing information via courier, right under our noses.

[Speech is intercut with a man handing over a black briefcase to someone sitting in a diner]

Broyles: Who are "they"?

[Cut back to the guy in the diner opening a pepper pot and pouring the whole thing over the food on his plate]

Colonel guy: We don't know who they are. But I can tell you what they want. They want to exterminate us. So they are studying us, our culture, our technology, our science, and they plan to use it against us. One way or another, we'll find out who they are.

[Back to the guy opening the briefcase, and the camera pans up to show an Observer]

Colonel guy: But by then, I suppose it won't really matter, because whatever is in those cases is going to destroy us all.

[Observer flips ominously through photographs of Walter and Peter]

The writers told us - 2 seasons ago - why the Observers were watching us, that they were planning for war and wanted to exterminate us, and we dismissed it 'cause the character who was speaking was the baddie of the week. Woah.

Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby Link » Sun May 13, 2012 5:31 am UTC

Thoughts on the season finale:
Spoiler:
1. The "if you recognise the actor, then the character is going to be important"-trope made the revelation of Jessica Holt being a baddie rather unsurprising.
2. I hope that stasis rune thing gets a further explanation, because right now it's looking like they're going for some kind of "magic symbols are magic" deal, which doesn't seem to fit in with the established Fringe universe at all.
3. Goddamn the post-mortem interview scene was creepy. I'd expected it to either be like the version from In Which We Meet Mr. Jones (Season 1), or to involve some kind of brain-reading computer. It certainly caught me by surprise when she went all twitchy and talky!
4. Again something I hadn't expected: the way Walter killed Olivia. I mean, I knew it was going to be necessary, but a matter-of-factly headshot without warning -- wow.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

Link wrote:Thoughts on the season finale:
Spoiler:
3. Goddamn the post-mortem interview scene was creepy.
4. Again something I hadn't expected: the way Walter killed Olivia. I mean, I knew it was going to be necessary, but a matter-of-factly headshot without warning -- wow.

@3 - yeah, I don't get creeped out easily, but that was terrifying.
@4 -
Spoiler:
I was expecting her to do it herself. She's been feeling rather guilt-ridden lately, plus she has never been particularly happy. However, Walter doing it made more sense for bringing her back. If he shoots her, he will already be thinking about how to save her, but if she shot herself, the shock would take away from the speed of their actions.
UniqueScreenname

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:19 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
Link wrote:Thoughts on the season finale:
Spoiler:
3. Goddamn the post-mortem interview scene was creepy.

@3 - yeah, I don't get creeped out easily, but that was terrifying.
@4 -
Spoiler:
I was expecting her to do it herself. She's been feeling rather guilt-ridden lately, plus she has never been particularly happy. However, Walter doing it made more sense for bringing her back. If he shoots her, he will already be thinking about how to save her, but if she shot herself, the shock would take away from the speed of their actions.

Spoiler:
Not to mention that Walter Bishop is the king of questionable morality. It's definitely not beyond him to hurt people. I hope that when we come back for the next season we get episodes chock full of doubt as to whether or not Walter has changed or if deep down he's still the same man that subjected the kids to Cortexiphan testing and stole Peter from Walternate.
KrazyerKate

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

So, season 5. Looks like we're back in that awesome observer-dominated dystopia future.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
Wasn't Olivia dead at the end of the last season? I don't mean in the modern-day world, but in the future world. I thought she wasn't able to amber herself or something like that.
UniqueScreenname

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

Well that's slightly worrisome. They've turned the plot of season 5 into a video game plot.

Spoiler:
Retrieve X number of a McGuffin, and the world will be saved.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:34 am UTC

Spoiler:
so are we just going to ignore the fact that Walter shot Olivia at he end of the last season and pretend it never happened?

Also, does it seem to anyone else that Walter looks and acts a lot more fit and youthful than he used to? I don't ever remember him being in enough shape physically or mentally to do some of the things he's doing in this season.
KrazyerKate

Postby mr-mitch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:
Spoiler:
so are we just going to ignore the fact that Walter shot Olivia at he end of the last season and pretend it never happened?

Spoiler:
I think so, yes. In the special episode last season, where we see Etta for the first time, Walter blames Bell for what happened to Olivia, and no one seems to object. So they must have already buried that hatchet.
mr-mitch

Postby KrazyerKate » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

mr-mitch wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I think so, yes. In the special episode last season, where we see Etta for the first time, Walter blames Bell for what happened to Olivia, and no one seems to object. So they must have already buried that hatchet.

Welp, guess Walter's back to the one-dimensional Quirky Doctor then. :(
KrazyerKate

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Are they going to make Peter the first Observer due to timey wimey stuff?

You, sir, name?

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Seems implausible. For one thing, they were quite happy to see him erased from history in an earlier series. Secondly, where did the original implant come from? It's a timey wimey chicken and egg thing.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Seems implausible. For one thing, they were quite happy to see him erased from history in an earlier series. Secondly, where did the original implant come from? It's a timey wimey chicken and egg thing.

Spoiler:
Well, that's the case no matter what happens. Surely the observer invasion will perturb the research that lead to them getting the technology required for invading.

You, sir, name?

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

Spoiler:
You can't have it both ways though. There are two possible time travel history altering mechanics:
1) Going back in time affects the time you originated in, which creates the grandfather paradox.
2) Time travel is actually equivalent to going to an alternate reality, and nothing you do in the past will affect the time period you came from.

So assume Peter is the first observer. If 1 is true, then allowing Peter to be erased from history would have erased them from history. If 2 is true, then even if Peter gains observer powers in this timeline, he's still not the first observer from their timeline, unless their timeline also included an observer invasion in their 21st century. If that's the case, then you're back to the timey wimey chicken and egg thing. Either way, you get a paradox.

The only way I can see to avoid a paradox is for 2 to be true, and for the observers to have independently invented the implants in their own timeline.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
Okay. So now he's turning into Corvo Attano.

You, sir, name?

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows