Neighbourhood Mafia - Game over: Mafia win!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 am UTC

People should be voting in earnest by now. If your town, don't sit back indecisive, that just gives scum more power. Even if you're just following your gut instinct you have better chances of making a good decision then scum. Do explain your reasoning when you vote though. Anyway, I wanted to let this sit for a while to see if anyone else would bite at it but only TMG did.

roband wrote:
Vieto wrote:Actually, unlike the NK neighbors only assumption, in this case it is backed by the rules:
ConMan wrote:2. You may only PM your neighbours, and only during the Night phase. All PMs need to be CC’d to the Mod (i.e. me).


It wasn't only an assumption based on night chat being a power. It was a combination of that AND the above rule, previously quoted by Vieto.

That's an interesting defense. Why didn't you mention the above rule when first questioned about the issue? I don't think it was part of your original thinking, you just adding that to you defense now that Vieto has pointed it out. Now the only question is wither I prefer to lynch you or Vieto first. He's been very "helpful" but not actually contributed so far, but I'm not sure if that's normal for him or not since I've played very little with him. Your read of him as townie also does not sit well with me. You also haven't bothered looking for scum, only defending yourself. If you are town I don't see how you can change my mind but at least you could lay out some suspicions so we can use that tomorrow.

Unvote

Vote: Roband

Dear mod, I believe you overlooked a vote? OR are you harshly enforcing the "must be spaced separately" rule?


TheMaskedGecko wrote:So going with my scummiest I will
Vote:roband
If your afraid of the terrorists winning then the terrorists win.

Silas wrote:Nobody who gets paid by the hour invents a cotton gin.
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Shanghai

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 am UTC

TheMaskedGecko's vote was valid, but lost in a wall of text.

Current vote tallies:
Vieto - 1 - Mostlynormal
roband - 2 - TheMaskedGecko, BoomFrog
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 am UTC

I'd sincerely love to vote, but my vote would be on Vieto, and as such the lynch would fail in a tie. Reasoning: Vieto and roband are imo roughly equally scummy, but roband speaks more so we'll have more than enough chances to spot his mistakes.

So yeah, I'll be refreshing till deadline, if a vote changes to break the then formed tie, I'll join in.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 am UTC

I don't want to vote Vieto, but I will to save myself...

Vote Vieto

because I might be wrong about him, but I'm definitely right about myself.

BoomFrog wrote:That's an interesting defense. Why didn't you mention the above rule when first questioned about the issue? I don't think it was part of your original thinking, you just adding that to you defense now that Vieto has pointed it out.
Revelation time - I often forget why I say things. I always have a good reason for it, otherwise why say it, right?
However, in this case - I don't recall why I thought what I thought. It probably WAS because of the reasons stated. Nothing I can do about that now.

I should not be lynched here.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:17 am UTC

I don't think anyone profits from a tie, so I'll

Vote: Vieto

If someone gets a more convincing reason to kill roband than "he made the wrong assumption", I'll be happy to switch, but the 2 on trial have similar faults.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am UTC

So Roband, if you didn't have to vote tactically, who would you lynch?
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.
User avatar
TheMaskedGecko
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 am UTC
Location: Wales,UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 am UTC

Sorry, I'm a firm believer that the day ends at the time pre-specified by the mod (an hour and four minutes ago), rather than when the mod 'announces night'. So I won't be talking about the game until D2 starts.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

Night has now fallen in the neighbourhood.

Vote tallies:
Vieto - 3 - Mostlynormal, roband, t1mm01994
roband - 2 - TheMaskedGecko, BoomFrog

Vieto has been lynched.

All players are free to PM with their neighbours - please remember to include the mod on the sender's list - and submit your night actions, if any.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby ConMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

N1 will end in 24 hours - on Tuesday January 24 at 10:16 AM AEDST (Monday January 23 at 11:16 PM UTC).

If you have not submitted your night action by deadline, it will be unused.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby ConMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Sun rose on Munroe Close, but not for everyone. Just last night, the residents had hung, drawn and quartered Vieto, and ransacked his house for evidence of his mafia ties. Unfortunately, Vieto apparently lived a quiet life, the only possession of note being a mug that read “World’s #1 Co-wormer” (presumably a mis-print).

Vieto was a Normal Neighbour, Vanilla Town.

And for those hoping for a quiet night, it was not to be. When the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard failed to show up for the daily canasta tournament, the neighbourhood went looking. His body lay in a pool of blood that just so happened to resemble Jesus, the Hispanic fellow down at the corner shop.

TheMaskedGecko has been killed. He was a Normal Neighbour, Vanilla Town.

No-one commented on the way the neighbourhood seemed to have reshaped itself so that everyone once again had two neighbours. It was better that way, anyway - what kind of weird person only has one neighbour?

It is now Day 2. Deadline for lynching is Tuesday January 31 at 10:16 AM AEDST (Monday January 30 at 11:16 PM UTC).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby Mostlynormal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

Ok, I can't vote in case scum quicklynch or something, but

Massive FoS: Boomfrog

Your vote for Roband was really scummy. I can understand having reservations about Vieto, but how could you possibly feel better about a Roband lynch than a Vieto lynch? The reasons for voting Vieto were that he provided basically no content and that he made an assumption (which he later explained, though he could've been lying). The reasons for voting Roband are just that he made an assumption (which he later explained, though he could've been lying. Other than that, he's been a pretty good townie. He was the first one to put a vote out on somebody and probably the reason we had a bunch of good discussion day one. I really don't understand your vote at all. If Vieto had flipped scum, I would've been sure you were his scumbuddy trying to defend him. Now, I don't really know why you changed your vote, town or scum. Maybe you doubted Vieto had a power role and were hoping Roband did (he did in fact softclaim something -- "you do not want to lynch me"). Anyway, this has been bugging me all night.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby Mostlynormal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

EBWOP:
The thing that pings me about it the most is how close to the deadline it was. I can see the point in trying to draw a scumtell out of Roband or something, or just to spur more discussion. But it was less than seven hours before the deadline! By then, any more decision making is going to be rushed and sloppy. Did you really think that you were going to get an intelligent defense from Roband? Or did you expect a rush of self preservation voting, last minute mind-changing, and roleclaims?
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby mpolo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 am UTC

I can verify that BoomFrog did not leave his house last night, which doesn't mean that he's not scum, but gives him a 50% chance of not being scum.

T1mm, on the other hand, did leave his house last night.

Neither of them was visited by anyone in the night.

I suppose I could have tried to play this "sneakier" and gotten the information out without outing myself totally, but I figured that wasn't going to work.

I am a Nosy Neighbor.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 am UTC

Assuming that there are no independents, we're currently at 2 scum and 3 town. Which means it's crunch time.

I know that mostlynormal did NOT carry out the mafia kill last night - I will fullclaim if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.

Gonna do some analysis of yesterday, later on.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:13 am UTC

By crunch time, I mean claiming time.

We need to get today's lynch right, or the game is over.
No-lynching is not an option, as that requires us to stop the NK tonight, to survive.

Putting this out there, so that the new people understand - this is LYLO. Which I have always known to mean, lynch or lose.

We have to lynch correctly, else the game is effectively over.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:EBWOP:
The thing that pings me about it the most is how close to the deadline it was. I can see the point in trying to draw a scumtell out of Roband or something, or just to spur more discussion. But it was less than seven hours before the deadline! By then, any more decision making is going to be rushed and sloppy. Did you really think that you were going to get an intelligent defense from Roband? Or did you expect a rush of self preservation voting, last minute mind-changing, and roleclaims?
When I started my last post I thought there were 22 hours left. I got "ninja'd" by the mod saying there were only 7 hours left. Still, if mpolo and vieto had posted things could have swung. Vieto was "too obviously" scum. I belived his lurking was unrelated to his role. Still I can't say I was confident he was town, just more interested in lynching Roband.

I don't have a lot of time to post, its chinese new year and I'm cooking most of tomorrow.
If your afraid of the terrorists winning then the terrorists win.

Silas wrote:Nobody who gets paid by the hour invents a cotton gin.
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Shanghai

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

P.S. I agree that TMG's former neighbors should claim.
If your afraid of the terrorists winning then the terrorists win.

Silas wrote:Nobody who gets paid by the hour invents a cotton gin.
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Shanghai

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:P.S. I agree that TMG's former neighbors should claim.

Agree with who? I can't see who posted that idea?

I was going to ask, but forgot about it - do we think it's a good idea for them to claim?

Pros - if mafia can only kill their neighbours, we get a 50/50 chance of it being narrowed down.
Cons - we don't know if mafia can only kill neighbours, and we could end up choosing between two townies to lynch.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:So Roband, if you didn't have to vote tactically, who would you lynch?


By the way, I was not trying to avoid this question - my response is as follows (written at the time):

Re: Who I would have voted - at the point in time of the question, I'm not sure. If there was more time, I would have analysed your posts. I would have picked you to analyse because you seem to have not much of a reason to vote for me.
"the way he assumes that scum only have neighbour-chat pings me. I'm not sure how likely it is that he thought powers included chat especially considering that other experienced players dismissed that straight off. Takes a strange umbrage to one of mn's posts, following up with a barely backed up vote. Could have been hoping to start a band wagon before mn could defend himself. Leaning vaguely scummy."
I responded to each one of these with answers. My responses to the stuff about mn made it clear to him/her that I'm town - yet you still have a problem.
I think you were looking for someone to plant an easy lynch on.

So, after I analysed your posts, I may have voted you, I may have not. But without any more time, I voted for who I had to - to save myself.


Obviously this was directed at TMG.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby Mostlynormal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

Un Massive FoS

But IGMEOY, Boomfrog. I actually found mpolo's lack of a vote scummier than your strange one. But I didn't want you to get away without justifying it. Anyway, this is a nice segue:

Even Bigger FoS: Mpolo

At least Boomfrog gave a vote. Mpolo was the only one who did not place a vote, other than Vieto, and not only that, he hasn't even expressed an opinion on who to lynch. That's extremely scummy, in my books. He was my second choice for a lynch D1, because he was almost as active-lurkery as Vieto.

Claiming TMG's neighbors might be a bit winey, since we're not certain about the mechanics. I wouldn't be terribly opposed to the idea as long as we didn't restrict our lynch canidates based on those claims.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 am UTC

mpolo wrote:I can verify that BoomFrog did not leave his house last night, which doesn't mean that he's not scum, but gives him a 50% chance of not being scum.

T1mm, on the other hand, did leave his house last night.

Neither of them was visited by anyone in the night.

I suppose I could have tried to play this "sneakier" and gotten the information out without outing myself totally, but I figured that wasn't going to work.

I am a Nosy Neighbor.


So, what did you think? It's day 2, it's probably going down to claiming pretty soon, let's falseclaim asap and hope no-one else has the same role?
I find it very unlikely that we have 2 Nosy Neighbours in this Neighboourhood, and I know for sure that I'm a Nosy Neighbour. Thing is, Nosy Neighbour isn't a both-side watcher, it's a one-side Cop. As such, I can confirm that Mostlynormal is town.
I also find BoomFrog scummy now, because mpolo and BF have had a little bromance going on in-game (BF conveniently forgetting to FoS mpolo, mpolo thinking BF is town because of forgetting that scum might not have night-chat), along with BF's huge agression based of him not remembering posts, make me think that he's the second scum. Besides, with Mostlynormal confirmed town, me knowing I'm town, 3 others of which 2 scum, missing the lynch is hard.
But yeah,
Vote: mpolo
as I see no reason why you would claim my role if you aren't scum.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D1: Everybody needs good neighbour

Postby roband » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 am UTC

Analysis of BoomFrog

Post 1 - MN said everything he wanted to say already. Questions the assumed 'neighbour only nightkill'. Questions 'neighbour only night chat'. Decides who the scum are (Vieto, myself and Tim).
Post 2 - Explains why he didn't FOS mpolo (not too well, IMO). Accepts that aforementioned 'neighbour only' actions were mentioned at signup time. Questions the 'neighbour only night chat' again - having just accepted it?
Post 3 - Votes Vieto for no content.
Post 4 - More 'night chat' chatter. BoomFrog seems a bit hung up on this one issue - all he talks about. Asks Vieto for his view on players.
Post 5 - Tells people to vote. Still talking about the night chat. Legitimately questions me for saying something. Changes vote to be based on that.

All in all, BoomFrog spent the whole of D1 obsessed with night chat and night powers and their application. His vote seemed fickle, willing to change, despite never really doing any hunting for scum.

I could be convinced to vote, but I won't.

Tim voting first in the day is one of those weird situations. The fact no-one has hammered leaves one of three possibilities.

1 - he's scum voting for town.
2 - he's town voting for scum, so scum can't hammer without exposing themselves.
3 - he's town voting for town and scum haven't been online yet (or can't risk a speedlynch because they can't communicate?)

This isn't me trying to work out which one it is - again, I'm trying to explain the situation to the new people.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

In explanation mode: Option 3 would mean that either of us is town, but falseclaiming.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

Just looked back at the opening post - it mentions nothing about duplicate powers.
This could be an option, so let's bear that in mind.

However, at the moment (based just on the claims) I'm inclined to side with mpolo - mainly for being the first claim. Some more analysis is needed here.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

Oh hell
Unvote just in the off chance that roband and BoomFrog are the 2 scum and roband didn't dare to vote because of BF not being here now.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby mpolo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

Either there are two types of Nosy Neighbors, or t1mm is lying. I claimed immediately because there was information available -- if both of you had stayed home, I would have sat on the information.

I am a both-side watcher/tracker. And my name is "Nosy Neighbor".

As for why I didn't vote, it's because this game totally slipped my mind. If you'll notice, I also didn't post at all on that last day. I realized that I had forgotten it when I got a PM from BoomFrog asking why I hadn't voted, and who I would have voted for. I had had a vague suspicion of Vieto, but it was mostly on the basis of lurkage.

I am highly tempted to vote t1mm at the moment. I suppose a cop would be shown leaving the house, but the duplicate rolename bothers me greatly.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby Mostlynormal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:02 am UTC

So normally, this would be good, but since we're at LYLO we can't just randomly lynch one and then lynch the other the next day if the first flips town.

Alright, to get my options straight, from my perspective:

Boomfrog and Mpolo are Scum: This is what I thought at the beginning of the day. It made sense more because they both had acted the scummiest than they seemed to be together, though T1mm did make a good point about them both finding each other townie. Still something to be considered

Roband and Mpolo are Scum: This is my personal favorite at the moment. I think I trust T1mm more than Mpolo, because he's generally been townier all game and a one target cop seems much more plausible than a two target tracker and watcher (which is exactly what mpolo claimed). The timing of the claim doesn't change anything for me -- T1mm had no reason to claim (as town) before mpolo did, since his cop result would only be of real use if I was about to be lynched, and since he's now a target for scum (again, if he's town). So I don't see why the fact that mpolo went first changes anything. Which brings me to why Roband could be scum. He seems to be heavily siding with mpolo -- first a big analysis on Boomfrog that handwaved his connection to mpolo, and then beleiveing the (in my opinion) much less beleiveable mpolo over T1mm. However, there are other possibilities.

T1mm and Someone else are Scum: One thing that pings me about T1mm a bit is his retracting of the vote. In his mind (if he's town) mpolo almost has to be scum, because why would anyone falseclaim like that as town? So why even beleive at all that Roband and Boomfrog could be scum? Perhaps it was extra caution-- mpolo hadn't posted yet and it was technically possible that mpolo was a vanilla townie falseclaiming to draw the nightkill. Even as I type that, that seems pretty absurd at LYLO. Anyway, mpolo's posted and he hasn't retracted his claim yet, so we know that one of them has to be scum. I just want to keep in this possibility; I'm not quite ready to vote for mpolo yet.

Anyway, I don't buy mpolo's defense about the lack of a vote. I think this is the second time this game he's used the exact words "totally slipped my mind"
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 am UTC

Huh? What does handwaved mean?

And how does my analysis on BF mean that I am scum, especially with mpolo? I truly don't understand your paragraph on me there.

I'm (slowly) going through each player, analysing them. Everyone is going to get their turn
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 am UTC

So, uhm, let's see. I'm town, MN is town, 2 of roband mpolo and BoomFrog are scum.
Surely it isn't roband and BoomFrog, because that would be the single strangest scumplay I've seen in my mafia life so far.That leaves the 2 duos roband-mpolo and BoomFrog-mpolo... So at least mpolo is scum.
I unvoted yesterday because I had little time, I saw roband post that it was possible that mpolo wasn't scum, I panicked and unvoted asap to make sure I don't give scum the win. Seeing it now, there is no possibility that mpolo isn't scum, so I'll just put my vote back where it was yesterday.
Vote: mpolo
So yeah. This is the point where I wait for your reactions, because I made up my mind for this day.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:27 am UTC

Tim, from your point of view - your logic is sound. However, I'm not scum.

I need to look at links, but that requires more than the 5 minutes I only seem to be getting to check here each time.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am UTC

You're not FORCED to respond after every post, you know that, right? Take your time to think about it, reread everything as often as you want, think about it till before the deadline if you want, and then vote mpolo, because he's scum.
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 am UTC

Yeah, but when the posts raise something I want to respond to - why wait? Like this one did! Sorry. Analysis later.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby mpolo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

Mostly Normal didn't carry out the mafia kill. (according to roband)
BoomFrog didn't leave his house last night (according to me)
t1mm did leave his house last night, and immediately defended by an apparently false claim. That is, his claim can only be true if the mod has two roles with the same name and different powers. [Roband may have something to add here, based on what he has said.]

Obviously, I have to

Vote: t1mm01994

I hate trying to explain this kind of thing with hypotheticals, but I think it's the only way to make it clear that only my claim can be true: if I were scum, coming into a day with LYLO, a false claim out of the blue would be extremely risky and of dubious value. The chances of accidentally checking on a player with the role I was claiming would be far too high, and the result far too uncertain. It would be just calling attention to myself. It would be putting myself into great risk just in time to ruin a perfect game. As such, I would not do that if I were scum.

I conversed briefly with BoomFrog last night about my reason for not posting. It is unfortunately exactly as simple as I said. I checked the other two games, and missed this one completely.

As for the other three:
roband is town, I think, because I can't see him avoiding the Vieto bandwagon if he were. His post after I expressed feelings of scumminess about Vieto had me deciding not to actually place a vote there (since I failed to come back to the thread, I didn't post one anywhere.)

Both BoomFrog and MostlyNormal are possibilities for the remaining scum. T1mm is aligning himself very closely with MN, and indicated that he was confirmed town, when he is actually only confirmed-did-not-perform-the-mafia-kill-last-night, as far as I can see. On the other hand, this could be a move to confuse town, meaning that he would be aligned with BoomFrog. Of the two, the T1mm-MostlyNormal team seems to be the most convincing at the moment, but I obviously have to go for the known bad guy and not the highly probable one.
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby mpolo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

In the line about roband, that should say "if he were scum"
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby roband » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm UTC

Just put real life stuff and mafia life stuff into the same picture and remembered that I'm going away for the weekend tomorrow.

I will try to access and post from my phone, but I can't guarantee signal. I'll be back on Sunday, but may be forced to put a vote down before I leave.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
__________________________________________________
It's hard being cool.
__________________________________________________
You, will never ever ever, get this annoying song out of your head.
User avatar
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby t1mm01994 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

Since it would appear that either me or mpolo is going down this night, I'll turn into near-dialogue mode.
mpolo wrote:Mostly Normal didn't carry out the mafia kill. (according to roband)
BoomFrog didn't leave his house last night (according to mpolo)
t1mm did leave his house last night(according to mpolo), and immediately defended by an apparently false claim. That is, his claim can only be true if the mod has two roles with the same name and different powers. [Roband may have something to add here, based on what he has said.]

From your point of view, I have nothing to do but agree here.
mpolo wrote:I hate trying to explain this kind of thing with hypotheticals, but I think it's the only way to make it clear that only my claim can be true: if I were scum, coming into a day with LYLO, a false claim out of the blue would be extremely risky and of dubious value. The chances of accidentally checking on a player with the role I was claiming would be far too high, and the result far too uncertain. It would be just calling attention to myself. It would be putting myself into great risk just in time to ruin a perfect game. As such, I would not do that if I were scum.

I actually should have cut you off after "hypotheticals", saying: "Then don't", if it weren't that I badly disagreed with what said there.
So, let's stay in your "hypothetical" truth. You're scum. You know we're at LYLO. It's likely people will have to be claiming, so you have to claim something.
This claim has brought you the following things:
1: It got you a claim, which is a quite major thing in the first place. Imagine if everyone was claiming and you were sitting there, in nothingness of claiming...
2: It got you to incriminate me, while I'm not scum. The accusation was heavy enough that I need something to defend myself, but light enough that if I had a good defence, you could still take it back. The manoeuvrability scum wants, y'know.
3: It got you to get suspicion off BoomFrog, who I still think is your scumbuddy. Here too, it was liberating enough that suspicion on BoomFrog would be discouraged, but if we went to lynch him, you could bus him without obviously being tied to him.
Besides, you claim that "the result [would be] far too uncertain". Well, it's kind of easy to be certain of alignments when you're scum... No uncertainty there. And I doubt the game would have been perfect when I had the clearance on MN, I myself was clean, and MN just head-on attacked BoomFrog. In fact, that was the first point you were brought into the slightest of trouble.
mpolo wrote:I conversed briefly with BoomFrog last night about my reason for not posting. It is unfortunately exactly as simple as I said. I checked the other two games, and missed this one completely.

How /convenient/. Someone you thought was town, who forgot to accuse you of the crime he accused 3 others of, also can provide you with an alibi? Gee, such an amazing coincidence. It would almost appear too big a coincidence..

I rest my case. Judges, speak!
User avatar
t1mm01994
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco.. Wait up, I'll tell you some tales!

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby Mostlynormal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:33 pm UTC

For one thing (in reply to mpolo), T1mm is calling me confirmed town because he allegedly got a cop result. This makes me worried that I'm biased to trusting T1mm, because scum would of course know my alignment perfectly well also.

Mpolo's hypothetical doesn't make any sense. He's smart enough to know as scum if he's looking suspicious. A LYLO where you're the most likely lynch target anyway is hardly a "perfect game." He had plenty of motive to falseclaim as scum. Also, he knows that two vanilla townies are already dead, so he didn't take much risk in betting that T1mm went out last night (though he was probably surprised when T1mm counterclaimed Nosy Neighbor). The only reason I hesitate lynching him right now is that it would involve putting a lot of faith in T1mm, something that's never a good idea to do for anyone in a game of mafia. If he did flip scum, I guess T1mm would be confirmed tomorrow, because if they managed to coordinate a double falseclaim bus gambit, they deserve the win :) .

@ Roband: I wasn't aware that you were doing an analysis of everyone. It sure seemed from your post on Boomfrog that the sole purpose was to cast suspicion on him. Handwaving meant that you attacked Boomfrog while ignoring his connections with mpolo (like you wanted BF but not mpolo to look scummy)

I think its a good idea to discuss who other than mpolo is scummy, because if we don't, we could be up the river without a paddle at another LYLO. We probably can't use anything mpolo says as we don't know whether he'd bus or find them town to promote wine. If it wasn't for Roband's very strangely focused attack on Boomfrog, I'd probably say that Boomfrog was the other scum for sure.

I guess in closing, if anyone othe than mpolo would like to give a case defending him, speak! I'm pretty sure he's scum but I'm haunted by the spectre of not being postive.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am UTC

Well, I'm pretty sure that mpolo is town and t1mm and Roband are scum. Obviously that fits right in with t1mm's theory, but when it's three town and two scum it's not suprising that scum would build a case against two townies. I'm obviously not 100% on Roband, MN could be scum still, but hopefully we don't have to figure that out until tomorrow.

For starters, claiming double watcher/tracker is a ridiculous falseclaim.
1) It's way too powerful, if your going to make up a role you make up something more resonable. It's too bold of a lie so it must be true.
2) If your scum and both kills have been vanilla you have no idea what the style of the roles is going to be. However, my role also affects both of my neighbors so I think it's very likely that all town powers do the same.
3) Cop is an easy false claim as scum, you know you're right and won't be countered. Watch/tracker is easily disproven, you have to correctly guess both targeting and target. You are already very likely to be counterclaimed by someone else with the same rolename, you do not want to be counterclaimed by your target as well.

Secondly, I know the neighborhood layout now, except I don't know where TMG was situated. There are two people who know, can one of them please claim it? There's no secret info for town to keep at this point. MN you are situated between Roband and T1mm. Your "confirmed town" ass is going to get killed tonight if my theory is correct, which is why t1mm had no regrets claiming cop.

Third, I already heavily suspected timm and Roband yesterday. And Roband was likely to get lynched until t1mm swooped in to save him by voting for vieto. If you look back, t1mm was the deciding factor causing vieto to be lynched instead of Roband and we know how that turned out.

I would vote t1mm right now, but I'd like to get the former position of TMG known before someone hammers. TMG was a weak choice of NK, he is a noob and easily confused (sorry TMG, it's true). There are two reasons to choose him, 1 is you are trying to avoid the "obvious targets so you dont get blocked by a doctor, but that's not very sensible since doctor targeting will be restricted by neighbors in this game. The other more likely reason is that the killer had no choice. Vieto was Roband and my former neighbor and conman confirmed I could not target my "new neighbor" N1 since vieto died D1. If Roband carried out the kill and TMG was his only neighbor to choose then really everything fits together far too perfectly. So, MN, was TMG between you and Roband?
If your afraid of the terrorists winning then the terrorists win.

Silas wrote:Nobody who gets paid by the hour invents a cotton gin.
User avatar
BoomFrog
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Shanghai

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby Mostlynormal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 am UTC

I'm not going to say anything about my neighbors yet. I want to know if Roband wants to claim being a former neighbor of Vieto or not.

That said, I still don't think we should put stock in who neighbors are. There's just too much wine around it. I'm not sure that TMG was so bad a target, as no one thought he was scummy at the end of day one. Also, for all I know, Boomfrog is scum who deliberately planned to shove that particular bit of delicious wine down our throats.

BoomFrog wrote:For starters, claiming double watcher/tracker is a ridiculous falseclaim.
1) It's way too powerful, if your going to make up a role you make up something more resonable. It's too bold of a lie so it must be true.
2) If your scum and both kills have been vanilla you have no idea what the style of the roles is going to be. However, my role also affects both of my neighbors so I think it's very likely that all town powers do the same.


1) "It's too bold of a lie so it must be true" is pretty much the definition of wine. Just pointing that out increases the chance that both of you are scum, and thought we would swallow that line.
2)That's interesting. My role most definitely does not affect both neighbors. You are right that scum could have no idea what style the roles are. Just, you know, food for thought, since you two both claimed two sided roles.
Your third point is sound, but if you are scum then mpolo only had the risk of being contradicted by T1mm, which was probably a risk he didn't mind taking at all, given we're at LYLO and all.

Actually, the whole "you haven't contradicted mpolo" thing is very interesting. You have a power role (that affects both sides apparently) but mpolo didn't see you going out? I think we just caught scum in a contradiction.

I went into this post trying to have an open mind in case T1mm and Roband were brilliant scum. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) I'm just more convinced that we have a Boomfrog-Mpolo scumteam.

One thing to consider though. It seems like we're dividing into camps over T1mm vs. Mpolo. I'm just worried that maybe BF is a wily scumbuddy with T1mm, hoping to get us to lynch mpolo for the scum win. I'm almost thinking we should just lynch Boomfrog, because, even if one of T1mm or Mpolo has to be scum, I'm almost completely convinced that BF is scum.
Mostlynormal
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Neighbourhood Mafia - D2: New day, new neighbours

Postby mpolo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I would vote t1mm right now, but I'd like to get the former position of TMG known before someone hammers. TMG was a weak choice of NK, he is a noob and easily confused (sorry TMG, it's true). There are two reasons to choose him, 1 is you are trying to avoid the "obvious targets so you dont get blocked by a doctor, but that's not very sensible since doctor targeting will be restricted by neighbors in this game. The other more likely reason is that the killer had no choice. Vieto was Roband and my former neighbor and conman confirmed I could not target my "new neighbor" N1 since vieto died D1. If Roband carried out the kill and TMG was his only neighbor to choose then really everything fits together far too perfectly. So, MN, was TMG between you and Roband?


As I know that T1mm went out, roband can't be the one who carried out the kill.

I don't see any harm to town in knowing where TMG was situated, since we are likely (barring doctor/roleblocker action) going to have only three people tomorrow. (And with 4, the town layout would be clear.)

According to BoomFrog's information, he had a both-sides action, but only was able to carry it out on one side. That action would seem to not have involved leaving his house, which isn't impossible -- at least the description of mine makes it very clear that I am not leaving the house -- I stay up all night looking through the window blinds to see what my neighbors are up to. However, I'm not sure what other power would be passive like this:

Noisy - possibly a non-house-leaving power, but I'm not sure what sort of power that would be
Nuisance - likely would have left his house -- possibly a roleblocker: if roband isn't scum, I was thinking he might be this.
Nurturing - a two-sided doctor might be overpowered, but in any case, I can't really see this working without leaving the house
Nocturnal - a likely house-leaving power, but no idea what the power would be
Normal - not possible, as BF has claimed having a power

This has me wavering on my suspicion of MostlyNormal and edging toward suspicion of BoomFrog…
Image <-- Evil experiment
User avatar
mpolo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests