Battlefield 3

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Battlefield 3

Postby eculc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

so, back to karkand (part 2, now that I can play it)...

the maps are intensely fun. however, It seems to me like conquest assault is...broken, honestly. the two teams are equally balanced, but the defenders start off with all of the control points. It takes quite a great deal of work to stop your team from losing as the attackers.

also...wake island? with only 3 flags? shame, dice. shame.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Dark567 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

eculc wrote:so, back to karkand (part 2, now that I can play it)...

the maps are intensely fun. however, It seems to me like conquest assault is...broken, honestly. the two teams are equally balanced, but the defenders start off with all of the control points. It takes quite a great deal of work to stop your team from losing as the attackers.

Huh. I was playing last night and conquest assault gave more tickets to the attackers to make up for the defenders less flags, and Wake Island had 5 control points. You sure you weren't playing on server with some weird settings?
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 am UTC

I never really liked Karkand in BF2, but Oman was one of my favorite maps, and Sharqi on rush without the helicopter to rape everything is pretty fun.
I think the rush implementation of Wake was pretty poor though, no jets and you only advance up one leg of the island, so the whole map is basically a corridor of death for the attackers at the hands of enemy snipers and Tunguskas.

Also, vehicle spawning seems to be broken so that if you try to spawn on a full vehicle, you spawn literally on top of it instead of the normal spawn areas, which isn't much of a problem unless you try to spawn on the helicopter in Wake rush, since the normal attacker spawn is on Arty island and aside from the helicopter,t here's no way to get to shore but to swim a ridiculous distance.

Also, depending on what point your on in some of the rush maps with jets, that can be pretty rough as well, though defenders on Karg are the worst since the runway is an island of safety in a sea of 'out-of-bounds' and there's a mountain between you and the battlefield so you can't even snipe from the runway. (though really, that runway is pretty bad anyway, I can't count the number of times I haven't gone wheels up fast enough and crashed because of that guardrail).

Finally, seems like some of the new weapons need to be balanced. Specifically, the Famas. It's easily the best AR in the game. I think I've been killed by Famas's more since B2K dropped than all other infantry weapons combined.
The MG-36 may not be much more balanced with it's minimal recoil, decent damage and rate of fire and quick reloads, but as a committed support player (well, more of a committed c-4 player, which in this battlefield game means support :P) it may be hard to give up.

I shudder to think what the game will look like once more people unlock the L85 if it is as much better than the Famas as the MG-36 is better than the QB-95.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby eculc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:

Huh. I was playing last night and conquest assault gave more tickets to the attackers to make up for the defenders less flags, and Wake Island had 5 control points. You sure you weren't playing on server with some weird settings?

well, each time I've played on it, it's been three flags. also, every time I've played CQA, the attackers only have enough extra tickets to last through the game-start countdown. I might be missing something, but giving the defenders tanks seems counter-intuitive as well.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby big boss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 am UTC

eculc wrote:
Dark567 wrote:

well, each time I've played on it, it's been three flags. also, every time I've played CQA, the attackers only have enough extra tickets to last through the game-start countdown. I might be missing something, but giving the defenders tanks seems counter-intuitive as well.

Are you playing on the "small" version of the map? Also, do consoles have 5 flag conquest maps since they can only go up to 32 players?
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:05 am UTC

It's 24. And yes, Caspian Border has 5 flags on console. I'm sure others have 4 or 5 as well.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:11 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:It's 24. And yes, Caspian Border has 5 flags on console. I'm sure others have 4 or 5 as well.

You sure? I though Caspian was 4?

But the B2K maps (except for wake) have 5 flag versions. It's so much fun, and reminds me of BF2: Modern Combat back on the original Xbox.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.
MisterCheif

Postby eculc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

well, xbox version of wake only has 3, oman and sharqi have 4, and karkand (and sometimes oman) have 5.
[/mewishingihadenoughmoneytobuildagamingPC]

I've actually taken to playing rush on the karkand maps, which is interesting because I'm not too much of a fan on the normal maps. maybe it's because of my deep hatred for CQA...also, I can't put down the QBU or the QBB. they're amazing. even with the default ballistic scope...on an lmg.
[/seriouslywtf]
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby blackened45 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

I actually never played any games of the Battlefield series. so now i am starting from Battlefield 2, since it has a decent gameplay, rather than BF1942.
after I finish this one and all its installments and expansions, then i'll move to Battlefield 3.

i was so focused on Medal Of Honor series and Call Of Duty games that i underestimated Battlefield. and now, with all the hype and the reviews and youtube gameplay videos, i want to play it. seriously, it really kicks butt, the gameplay and visuals and the overall experience of it, just watching it on youtube makes me want it more.
blackened45

Postby meloncrab » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

You can't finish the older Battlefield games, as they lack any form of single-player campaign. That started (on PC) with Bad Company 2. There's no reason "to work your way" through the Battlefield series. Just get Battlefield 3.
meloncrab

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:25 am UTC

Well, finally put together a computer that can play the game. Played a large bit. Didn't entirely suck. Though, I'd really enjoy actually being able to play with a coherent squad.

Spoiler:
And I did enjoy the glitch at the end of the sp game where Solomon was invisible. It added a whole new dimension to the level of story crazy of Blackburn. In fact, I like my version better, especially the part where the entire crowd looked on like nothing important was going on while he mimed beating up invisible terrorist. Also, remember when FPSes didn't have quicktime events? Yeah, sadly game developers haven't.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Dark567 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Well, finally put together a computer that can play the game. Played a large bit. Didn't entirely suck. Though, I'd really enjoy actually being able to play with a coherent squad.

Spoiler:
And I did enjoy the glitch at the end of the sp game where Solomon was invisible. It added a whole new dimension to the level of story crazy of Blackburn. In fact, I like my version better, especially the part where the entire crowd looked on like nothing important was going on while he mimed beating up invisible terrorist. Also, remember when FPSes didn't have quicktime events? Yeah, sadly game developers haven't.
If I wanted quick time events, I would just play God of War.... or better yet Heavy Rain.

Honestly thought, I love the multiplayer. Being able to coordinate attacks with ground forces and air forces just ends up being really fun.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Yeah, I love that as well, it's nice when a team does that instead of sit on a crane and play recon.

I also wish defib paddles killed people like in 2142. I got so used to that. I'd have at least ten kills with them by now as it's just a default reaction if a guy comes up right after I defib a guy.

I really want a shooting range though. It'd just be nice to get some practice with weapons and see how they handle without being shot at. And I'd like to do some sport shooting with a sniper rifle. I just don't feel like being uncredit to team about it.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I also wish defib paddles killed people like in 2142. I got so used to that. I'd have at least ten kills with them by now as it's just a default reaction if a guy comes up right after I defib a guy.

I believe they do 34 damage. The reason for this is that the knife also does 34 damage unless you attack from behind.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Dark567 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:I also wish defib paddles killed people like in 2142. I got so used to that. I'd have at least ten kills with them by now as it's just a default reaction if a guy comes up right after I defib a guy.

I believe they do 34 damage. The reason for this is that the knife also does 34 damage unless you attack from behind.

Yeah. I've been killed by them before, they just don't one hit you like they used too.

Dark567

Postby blackened45 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

meloncrab wrote:You can't finish the older Battlefield games, as they lack any form of single-player campaign. That started (on PC) with Bad Company 2. There's no reason "to work your way" through the Battlefield series. Just get Battlefield 3.

oh eff, you're right! oh well, off to play BF3, i just wish for a more decent single player campaign.
blackened45

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:26 am UTC

Yeah, the campaign wouldn't have been so bad if they'd have just stfu and let you play it. It's half cutscene and a quarter quicktime. And the flying mission was pathetic.

Though, I'm really surprised at just how much of a difference not having that metal reticule on the end of the m16 has improved my accuracy--i.e. switching back to the aek. I'm at about 11% accuracy on the m16 and improved up to 16ish on the aek. The pp is around 20 because I'd already figured out shooting a bit when I used it.

But it really does amaze me how much a difference that makes considering the m16 is supposedly a tad more accurate. I finally managed to have some positive non-explosive spam (I wanted to get some levels on engineering so I could be a bit more worthwhile in playing that class) or vehicle based k/d ratios.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 am UTC

So it's been about a month since someone's posted here and I just got the game. Just wondering if anyone is still playing on the 360 version. Be cool to play with a full squad for once!

Gamertag is Chewbaccawakka (mine-layer extraordinaire) if it strikes your fancy for a match or two.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 am UTC

I still play occasionally and there are usually plenty of full servers, gamertag zephyr256k if you wanna add me.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby Obby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 pm UTC

I moved over to Skyrim, then to SWTOR for a while and now my term has started back at school, so I haven't played in a good two months at least. I like the game, but Origin being required to run it kind of puts me off anymore. I know it's a little late to levy that complaint, having already bought the game, but I can still hope they'll disable that little annoyance one day. /sigh
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby eculc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

I'm on the xbox, usually playing with some of my friends when I'm on (which I will not be until this weekend, actually.)

my GT is eculc

EDIT: now that I'm thinking about it more, some specifics:

-I am on eastern standard time
-I am usually on afternoons/nights weekdays and midday/afternoon-night weekends.
-I am 16. (please don't hold that against me =P)
-I am usually playing with other friends, who are 14/15.
Last edited by eculc on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

Cool beans! I'll probably be sending ya'll a couple of fr/invites later on tonight, hopefully my dreams of conquering the wor... playing with a full squad will soon be realized! Maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh!
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

I think I posted my tag in this thread before, but yea, I'd be up for playing a bit with some xkcd peoples. I'm M and P 15.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby F117Landers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

I finally made it back, and picked it up for the 360 as well. F117Landers if someone's looking for a squadmate.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I work panama shift, so I can normally play at odd hours if needed.
F117Landers

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:05 am UTC

Bugger! Has anyone had any issues with points(xp?) not registering your unlock progress after a match? I have been having the darndest time getting any kills while flying in the jets, but just the other day I scored my first 3 dogfight kills in one round, I was super proud of myself! Imagine my dismay when upon finishing the match I discover that non of my 500+ points for my daring-doo flying were registered. I'm still clocking in at a dismal 30/300 points until I unlock the IR flares.

Just wondering if anyone has experianced anything similar?

(ps, all who posted their gt's expect at friend request sometime this evening.)
Chewbaccawacca

Postby F117Landers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 am UTC

Not yet, although I have had problems with a green flash on one match.
F117Landers

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:40 am UTC

Yeah, I've had that too. But only once or twice since I bought the game, not nearly as bad as during the beta.
Chewbaccawacca

Postby eculc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Chewbaccawacca wrote:Bugger! Has anyone had any issues with points(xp?) not registering your unlock progress after a match? I have been having the darndest time getting any kills while flying in the jets, but just the other day I scored my first 3 dogfight kills in one round, I was super proud of myself! Imagine my dismay when upon finishing the match I discover that non of my 500+ points for my daring-doo flying were registered. I'm still clocking in at a dismal 30/300 points until I unlock the IR flares.

Just wondering if anyone has experianced anything similar?

(ps, all who posted their gt's expect at friend request sometime this evening.)

yeah, flying the jet was a PITA until I unlocked flares, and even then it's still a bit of a pain now that people are learning to use the MG. I hardly even use the heat-seekers now, just because once you have flares you can't be touched by them anymore (or at least that's what it seems like to me)

I personally like being the gunner on the attack chopper. the power of that HE machine gun is unequaled in anything except the power of the suicide jet. (or, in some cases, the chopper pilot's lack of skill. this be why you won't see me flying the helis often)
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:18 am UTC

Oooooooh man, I love gunning for a good chopper pilot! So unstoppable, it's like we're a leaf on the wind! I was playing Wake Island one time, and I went up a full two unlock levels just gunning for a master pilot.

Personally I like flying (anything) better than gunning, but sadly my skill level definitely leaves something to be desired. I'm not bad, but not nearly as good as some of the stick-jockeys out there.
Chewbaccawacca

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:56 am UTC

I just wish they kept the stick inversions separate for choppers and planes. It's a bloody massive pain in the ass.

And really, I think not starting people off with default flares is rather problematic. It essentially makes any new player a waste of a jet and puts them in a catch-22.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 am UTC

Really what they need is a training area for jets and helicopters. Flying them well is such a different skill set to being a ground troop, and it's really hard to get any practice in because either a) the minute you jump in you either crash or get shot down because you're not very good yet or b) there are only a couple on a map and they get jumped on ridiculously quickly, and if someone really good jumps into one they have it for quite a long time.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Really what they need is a training area for jets and helicopters. Flying them well is such a different skill set to being a ground troop, and it's really hard to get any practice in because either a) the minute you jump in you either crash or get shot down because you're not very good yet or b) there are only a couple on a map and they get jumped on ridiculously quickly, and if someone really good jumps into one they have it for quite a long time.

Yeah, I kind of wish they had a shooting range for the same reason. I'd like to try out some sniper rifles just to get a feel for them, but that's hard to do when you have to do it in live action. Plus, then I'm tasked with the fact that I'm also not really helping my team.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I just wish they kept the stick inversions separate for choppers and planes. It's a bloody massive pain in the ass.

And really, I think not starting people off with default flares is rather problematic. It essentially makes any new player a waste of a jet and puts them in a catch-22.

Yeah, the first time I grabbed a chopper I slammed into the ground within the first 45 seconds. Since then I've switched all of my flight controls to the "Southpaw" format in the options menu, and it has made the world a better place. I don't know if it's for everyone but for me it's the difference between being useful and wasting a perfectly good vehicle.
Chewbaccawacca

Postby F117Landers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Chewbaccawacca wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:I just wish they kept the stick inversions separate for choppers and planes. It's a bloody massive pain in the ass.

Yeah, the first time I grabbed a chopper I slammed into the ground within the first 45 seconds. Since then I've switched all of my flight controls to the "Southpaw" format in the options menu, and it has made the world a better place. I don't know if it's for everyone but for me it's the difference between being useful and wasting a perfectly good vehicle.

You do a lot better job of piloting than I do, that's for sure.
F117Landers

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:You do a lot better job of piloting than I do, that's for sure.

Yeah that was a blast! Do you think you'll be on later tonight? Uh, I guess that would be like 4-5 hours from nowish?
Chewbaccawacca

Postby _infina_ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

I have it on the 360, and access to a PS3 with it on occasion. On 360 i can be found as infina_xkcd and my PSN id is something that looks like it would make a strong password(I used a password generator for my id).
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu
_infina_

Postby F117Landers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:I have it on the 360, and access to a PS3 with it on occasion. On 360 i can be found as infina_xkcd and my PSN id is something that looks like it would make a strong password(I used a password generator for my id).

It's not "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple" is it?

Chewbaccawacca wrote:Yeah that was a blast! Do you think you'll be on later tonight? Uh, I guess that would be like 4-5 hours from nowish?

No, I have to get some sleep before work. Sorry man. I'll be back online Monday though.
F117Landers

Postby _infina_ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
_infina_ wrote:I have it on the 360, and access to a PS3 with it on occasion. On 360 i can be found as infina_xkcd and my PSN id is something that looks like it would make a strong password(I used a password generator for my id).

It's not "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple" is it?

bvRyJBs
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu
_infina_

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote: I'll be back online Monday though.

No sweat, have a good weekend.
Chewbaccawacca

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Chewbaccawacca wrote:

My problem is that, at least for the stick, pushing it forward puts the nose down on the plane but up on the helicopter and since the inversion is tied together I can't make it work for both.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming