Share a folder via ftp over LAN?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Share a folder via ftp over LAN?

Postby masher » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am UTC

What do I need to do to share a folder on my Windows 7 computer over my local network using ftp/http? If it helps, I would like to stream music/video, as well as get access to PDFs and other documents

There are several different flavours of computer here, and the easiest thing that I've thought of is just to turn it into a website, and let chrome/firefox/safari/dolphin take care of the rest...
masher

Re: Share a folder via ftp over LAN?

Postby ekolis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

Why do you need FTP? You should be able to use the Public Documents folder; that is automatically shared in Win7.
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.
ekolis

Re: Share a folder via ftp over LAN?

Postby LikwidCirkel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

I host everything on a Linux fileserver at my place, and run Samba server for LAN access, and also webfs and sftp for public/private remote access from outside. Webfs is super super super useful for sending non-computer people large files!

If you really can't use standard windows shares and Samba, you could use a free FTP server for Windows. Filezilla Server is stable and mature and works just fine with my experience. I have no idea if there is a dead-simple HTTP server like webfs available for Windows. There used to be something called "Personal Web Server" included in certain Windows versions, but I'm not sure if it's still there in Windows 7.
LikwidCirkel

Return to The Help Desk