1011: "Baby Names by Frank Zappa"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby B B Bongo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:40 am UTC

Some years ago I was perusing the Ministry of the Church's list of officially authorized Danish names. Some of them could be abused by speakers of English to create rather "interesting" girl names:

Lolita Dolly
Lone Ninja
Ganja Joy
Kiss My Fanny

Some boy name combos could be considered less than flattering:

No Dick
Odd Guy
Just Strange

Ninja is now my favorite name for a potential daughter :)
B B Bongo
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby DavidRoss » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:40 am UTC

wormywyrm wrote:I was a little disappointed that:

a) No one on this thread yet posted what the significance of the name 'Renesmee' is.


I too was disappointed that an entire 14 minutes went by without anyone posting something. What is wrong with you, world? Does everyone go to sleep at midnight around there?
DavidRoss
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby hobbitboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:41 am UTC

There was a Teresa Green at my junior high.
hobbitboy
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:34 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby DenverCoder9 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 am UTC

I once new a middle school teacher who had an inordinate number of students named after alcohols. Her theory was that their parents named them after what they were imbibing during conception.

The two I remember were Tequila (pronounced Tuck-while-a) and Jack Daniels.

(Also, I'm totally naming my first born daughter River.)

EDIT: Also, my dad apparently tried to name me Senator, so that I could always get a table at a restaurant.
User avatar
DenverCoder9
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:35 am UTC
Location: Reppin' the 80123

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby gson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 am UTC

tomandlu wrote:Many diseases would make okay names (well, if you were in Ancient Rome)...
Chlamydia, Septicaemia, and so on...

Not to mention Melena.
gson
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Nyerguds » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:18 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I have a friend named Amee.

That just comes from the French "aimée", which means, beloved.

Quicksilver wrote:Why would you not go with Fire Fire?

It is downright brilliant :D

Andromeda321 wrote:I had a friend in undergrad who insisted that if he ever had a daughter he'd name her "Clitoria."

On the one hand I'm still mildly horrified, on the other curious to see how that would turn out (because if nothing else I figure you should never name a child something you wouldn't feel comfortable shouting at the top of your lungs for a long time from the back porch).

"Tory" for short? :p

Apeiron wrote:6) Boys names shall be one or two syllables, unless the name is usually shortened. Alexanders are usually called Alex. Girls names may be longer because they can handle learning more than one syllable at a time. If you name your child Alexis or Alexandra, don't call her Alex! Cute, yes, but traumatic for boys named Alex!

Dunno, Alex is pretty unisex in my opinion. Can still nickname her Sandra though.

Kisama wrote:There is a well-known (at least, in musical circles, in South Africa) conductor named Richard Cock. I don't know if that caused him distress growing up, but he's pretty successful now so I guess it's OK.

South African names mostly come from the Netherlands, and "Cock" or "De Cock" are VERY common Dutch names. It's just the Dutch version of "Cook".
Last edited by Nyerguds on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Nyerguds
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Kick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:19 am UTC

I didn't get this comic, but upon reading this thread I learned a bit. Thanks, knowledge being power and all that, I now smiled slightly when I read this comic again.


Nyerguds wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I had a friend in undergrad who insisted that if he ever had a daughter he'd name her "Clitoria."

On the one hand I'm still mildly horrified, on the other curious to see how that would turn out (because if nothing else I figure you should never name a child something you wouldn't feel comfortable shouting at the top of your lungs for a long time from the back porch).

"Tory" for short? :p

I knew a Tory once...Victoria, but that's normal.
I'm never sarcastic.
User avatar
Kick
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby guruparan18 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:51 am UTC

I always wanted to ask, and whomsoever I discussed earlier considered me crazy. Let me ask here.

Why not name a child with just numbers? A 6 digit prime number, perhaps 8 digit friendly number?


On the side note, I am thinking, what systems this name could break. Every time, I keep asking, and even more then last time, why not name numbers? I leave it to you guys to ponder. Let me know what numbers you would give an imaginary child. No harm here!
guruparan18
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:46 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby choginga » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 am UTC

I like stealth bad names. My last name is Shaw. I have a daughter she will be named Sandra Caroline. My son will be Rockwell Cameron.

Sandy C. Shaw and Rocky C. Shaw.

I also always liked the idea of Meg Atron.
User avatar
choginga
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby deltaplan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am UTC

In France, the Strasbourg hospital has displayed a "top list" of the worst first names for babies born there, month after month...

Image
deltaplan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Kick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am UTC

That is a painful list to read. Although I don't see much wrong with some of them, actually a lot of them, but there are some painfully bad ones in there. I am still tempted to give my child the middle name '); DROP TABLE Students;--, actually no, I'm not tempted to do that...however I do laugh when I think about the possibility.

I don't want to name any children of mine strange names, I was thankful enough to learn I had been named Oliver instead of Olaf.
I'm never sarcastic.
User avatar
Kick
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Yablo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 am UTC

I once told my mother that I'd like a son named Formica and a daughter named Travesty. She hit me. She didn't hit my father for trying to name me Treasure and my brother Scavenger even though our last name is Hunt.

Also, a prediction I made a few years ago in a conversation with my brother: With as bad as some people are about saying "lol" or "Oh me yarm" and the like in actual conversation, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing names with numbers like Steven2012 or Kelly42 soon.
User avatar
Yablo
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 am UTC
Location: Juneau, Alaska

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 am UTC

Monika wrote:I am not Russian, but we learned about this in Russian class. Russian "nicknames" (the word is not the best translation for this concept, but I don't know another one) are similar to diminutives (something that English lacks completely). It is what parents and grandparents call a child. They are often even longer than the original name. The idea is not to shorten it, but to express familiarity. E.g. Pjotr -> Petruscha (German transliteration).


Thanks! :D Now I remember I quickly met a guy called "Misha", wich I never learned his true name, but following the idea you gave, it should be something like Mikhail, I guess.
keithl wrote:As a rule of thumb, it is imprudent to pass over speed bumps faster than orbital velocity.
User avatar
PolakoVoador
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby J L » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 am UTC

Karilyn wrote:
J L wrote:Any relevance to the other names on the list? Astamouthe ...? Fire Fire ...?

Pronounce both out loud

*facepalm*

Thanks!!
User avatar
J L
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 am UTC
Location: Germany

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby mcv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:54 am UTC

webdude wrote:I think the dumbest name would be "Name." Imagine all the scenarios, e.g. cop stops girl:
What's your name?
Name.
Right. What is it?
Name.

I used to know a guy called Anders. Pretty normal Swedish name, I believe, but in Dutch it means "other" or "different" or "something else". So at parties when someone would ask for his name, he'd say: "Guess", and hilarity would ensue.
mcv
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby mcv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm UTC

Nyerguds wrote:
Kisama wrote:There is a well-known (at least, in musical circles, in South Africa) conductor named Richard Cock. I don't know if that caused him distress growing up, but he's pretty successful now so I guess it's OK.

South African names mostly come from the Netherlands, and "Cock" or "De Cock" are VERY common Dutch names. It's just the Dutch version of "Cook".

True, but still, with a last name like that, you might not want to name your son "Dick".
mcv
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby mcv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:John is a shortening of Jonathan.

Are you really sure? I was under the impression that John was the English version of Johannes, as in the apostle. I never had the impression Johannes and Jonathan were the same name.

Jack is the dimunitive of the archaic Jakin.

Is it not short for James, which seems to be the English version of Jacobus (again an apostle), also Jacob, Jaap or Jacques in some languages?

If not, then how did the English names of the biblical apostles get so messed up?
mcv
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Jamaican Castle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

mcv wrote:Is it not short for James, which seems to be the English version of Jacobus (again an apostle), also Jacob, Jaap or Jacques in some languages?

If not, then how did the English names of the biblical apostles get so messed up?


I've never known anyone who went by Jack in place of James, though that's hardly proof.
It wouldn't be unheard of for there to have been an existing name that sounded "close enough" to the Biblical name and the two were conflated. Or, they could have flat-out changed the name, which certainly happened enough in all the translating that went on.
Or, it could be that Jack and whatever it was "originally" short for did indeed sound alike, and centuries of linguistic drift have split them apart.
Jamaican Castle
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby lesmith11 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

Everytime my grandparents had a girl the mother tried to call it Priscilla... Luckily granddad refused and they all had good biblical names instead :P
lesmith11
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:
mcv wrote:Is it not short for James, which seems to be the English version of Jacobus (again an apostle), also Jacob, Jaap or Jacques in some languages?

If not, then how did the English names of the biblical apostles get so messed up?


I've never known anyone who went by Jack in place of James, though that's hardly proof.
It wouldn't be unheard of for there to have been an existing name that sounded "close enough" to the Biblical name and the two were conflated. Or, they could have flat-out changed the name, which certainly happened enough in all the translating that went on.
Or, it could be that Jack and whatever it was "originally" short for did indeed sound alike, and centuries of linguistic drift have split them apart.



My half brother is called James, his wife calls him Jack, so it does happen.
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby uildaan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
Jamaican Castle wrote:
mcv wrote:Is it not short for James, which seems to be the English version of Jacobus (again an apostle), also Jacob, Jaap or Jacques in some languages?

If not, then how did the English names of the biblical apostles get so messed up?


I've never known anyone who went by Jack in place of James, though that's hardly proof.
It wouldn't be unheard of for there to have been an existing name that sounded "close enough" to the Biblical name and the two were conflated. Or, they could have flat-out changed the name, which certainly happened enough in all the translating that went on.
Or, it could be that Jack and whatever it was "originally" short for did indeed sound alike, and centuries of linguistic drift have split them apart.



My half brother is called James, his wife calls him Jack, so it does happen.


Never heard that but have heard James -> Jim.

Another odd English one is demonstrated by Prince Harry or rather Prince Henry. Same number of letters and syllables so its not much of a shortening
User avatar
uildaan
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:52 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby billyswong » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

Maybe because I am not native speaker of English nor any European language (My mother tongue is Cantonese, and I live in a Han characters world), I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with Renesmee...

Can anybody here tell me what so wrong/funny is it?
billyswong
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Gear » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

billyswong wrote:Maybe because I am not native speaker of English nor any European language (My mother tongue is Cantonese, and I live in a Han characters world), I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with Renesmee...

Can anybody here tell me what so wrong/funny is it?


First, it was the name of a character from Twilight, so it automatically gets points off for this.

Then there's (at least for me) the question of how the hell do you pronounce that?
“What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”
~Calvin and Hobbes
User avatar
Gear
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:36 pm UTC
Location: The Milkyway

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:...
Or, it could be that Jack and whatever it was "originally" short for did indeed sound alike, and centuries of linguistic drift have split them apart.

^this, languages are not the best preservatives. Alex and Sosha don't sound like the same name.

My last name is a spit in the face to consistency, it's root is from hebrew yaakov but 2 millenia and Italy produced a word that sounds nothing like it.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.
Fire Brns
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Real names I've come across:

Candy Hart
Mary Poppins
Light Rock
dp2
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Monika » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

dmm wrote:No, YOU are the one missing MY point. I never said what you are accusing me of saying. All the Basic Human Decency in the world can't turn a name like Female or Shithead into an acceptable name. When a parent makes up a name off the top of his/her head, or uses a word he/she didn't understand just because it sounds nice, and it turns out to be a disaster name, then that's funny. And if the name-giver refuses to change the name once the flaw is pointed out, THAT is evidence of gross stupidity, and THAT is the problem.

You still didn't get it. No child has ever been named Shithead, Shi-thead or Shi'thead. White people made this up. "Look, black parents are so stupid!" Please read the explanation in this 2007 Snopes article (not the same one as the Le-a one) http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

I also have doubts about girls being named Female. It's not a terrible name and not as unlikely as Shi['|-]thead, but I have never seen proof beyond "I knew someone with this name", which could very well mean "a friend told me s/he knew a woman with this name", which in turn could mean "a friend who read this in a chain mail claimed s/he knew a woman with this name".

dmm wrote:but you might want to read the book Freakonomics anyway.

I have read Freakonomics. You have read Freakonomics. You may want to reread it or reassess the conclusions you drew from it. Freakonomics says: Black parents are likely to give their daughters unique names. Black parents are also likely to give their daughters word names like "Chastity". I have to reread the book to see what exactly it said about poor parents. As far as I remember Freakonomics did not compare the rate of unusual child names for black rich parents, black poor parents, white rich parents and white poor parents.

Adults with black-sounding names have disadvantages later in life. Studies showed that the same job application and resume with a black-sounding name is rated worse by white potential employers than the exact same application and resume with a white-sounding name. So what conclusion should be drawn from this? Should black people go to job interviews with a bag over their head and gloves?




Kick wrote:I don't want to name any children of mine strange names, I was thankful enough to learn I had been named Oliver instead of Olaf.

Nothing wrong with Olaf, I had classmates with that name. Okay, I guess it's not so common in English-speaking countries.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
User avatar
Monika
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

uildaan wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
Jamaican Castle wrote:
mcv wrote:Is it not short for James, which seems to be the English version of Jacobus (again an apostle), also Jacob, Jaap or Jacques in some languages?

If not, then how did the English names of the biblical apostles get so messed up?


I've never known anyone who went by Jack in place of James, though that's hardly proof.
It wouldn't be unheard of for there to have been an existing name that sounded "close enough" to the Biblical name and the two were conflated. Or, they could have flat-out changed the name, which certainly happened enough in all the translating that went on.
Or, it could be that Jack and whatever it was "originally" short for did indeed sound alike, and centuries of linguistic drift have split them apart.



My half brother is called James, his wife calls him Jack, so it does happen.


Never heard that but have heard James -> Jim.

Another odd English one is demonstrated by Prince Harry or rather Prince Henry. Same number of letters and syllables so its not much of a shortening


Yeah, I'd never heard of it either except that one, on-going, occurrence, John is often "shortened" to Jack,
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

lesmith11 wrote:Everytime my grandparents had a girl the mother tried to call it Priscilla... Luckily granddad refused and they all had good biblical names instead :P


What's wrong with Priscila? It's a very normal and quite common brazilian name :)
keithl wrote:As a rule of thumb, it is imprudent to pass over speed bumps faster than orbital velocity.
User avatar
PolakoVoador
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Sprocket » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

savantster wrote:Apparently, Renesmee is the name of a character from Twilight.

Dear Randall, stop teaching me things I don't want to know.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
 
Posts: 5739
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby jpers36 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

mcv wrote:Are you really sure? I was under the impression that John was the English version of Johannes, as in the apostle. I never had the impression Johannes and Jonathan were the same name.


Either/or. John can be a given name in itself as the English version of Johannes, or it can be a nickname for someone with the given name of Jonathan.

mcv wrote:Is [Jack] not short for James, which seems to be the English version of Jacobus (again an apostle), also Jacob, Jaap or Jacques in some languages?


Jim is usually used as a nickname for James. Saint James in an English Bible is the same person as Saint Jacques in a French Bible, but a more accurate transliteration of the name would really be Jacob, which is common in English-speaking cultures. And the usual nickname for Jacob is Jake.

mcv wrote:If not, then how did the English names of the biblical apostles get so messed up?


I have no idea. Maybe King James, who sponsored the first widespread English-language Bible, wanted to legitimize his name as a "Christian" one? This could be checked by taking a look at a pre-AV English bible, such as Wycliffe.
jpers36
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm UTC
Location: The 3-manifold described by Red and Blue

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby jpers36 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

jpers36 wrote:I have no idea. Maybe King James, who sponsored the first widespread English-language Bible, wanted to legitimize his name as a "Christian" one? This could be checked by taking a look at a pre-AV English bible, such as Wycliffe.


I just checked, and Wycliffe uses James:

http://wesley.nnu.edu/fileadmin/importe ... fe/Jam.txt
jpers36
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm UTC
Location: The 3-manifold described by Red and Blue

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby 0zymandias » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:21 pm UTC

A friend of mine from Alabama has an acquaintance by the name of "Shabumpdatquita"

I can't hold back the laughter every time he says it out loud.
0zymandias
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby dmm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

babble wrote:Betsy is short for Elizabeth, not Margaret. Did you mean Peg/Peggy/Meg? Those are short for Margaret.

I knew a woman named Margaret, and she went by Betsy. I assumed that was correct. The web says you are right. If I meet her again, should I tell her?
Also found, in my "research," that Nancy is a nickname for Ann. Sounds stupid, until you go Ann-->Nan (anagram)-->Nannie-->Nancy.
dmm
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby dmm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
lesmith11 wrote:Everytime my grandparents had a girl the mother tried to call it Priscilla... Luckily granddad refused and they all had good biblical names instead :P


What's wrong with Priscila? It's a very normal and quite common brazilian name :)


I hope lesmith11 is joking. Priscilla is a Biblical name.
dmm
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby rhhardin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Norgestrel is a nice girl's name, Armstrong and Getty suggest, is you're affected by the birth control pill recall.
User avatar
rhhardin
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby netwebber » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

The best of those I know personally:

First name: Learned. Last name: Foote. (After the famous jurist Learned Hand)

First name: Alexis. Last name: Benz. (A Lexus Benz) At least she's not "Mercedes," which by itself is not too uncommon.

I also know an American couple who moved to Israel and would rather their children not move back to the U.S., but wanted everyone to retain their American citizenship (for American passports, in case the State of Israel is destroyed, etc.). They all have normal Israeli names, with the last name "Berkowicz" (spelling changed to protect the guilty).

They tried not giving one child a first name when they applied for a passport. The State Department rejected the application, so they named him "Just." Get it? No first name, "Just Berkowicz."

Second child: First name: Berkowicz. Middle name: James. Full name: Berkowicz. James Berkowicz.

They weren't quite as cruel/cool with their daughter. They named her Ophelia. At least that's Shakespearean like "Portia."
netwebber
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:11 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby carega » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

seems like randy forgot meganiwantomilkyou as one of the names for his daughter.

Also #5 WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU
carega
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

dmm wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:
lesmith11 wrote:Everytime my grandparents had a girl the mother tried to call it Priscilla... Luckily granddad refused and they all had good biblical names instead :P


What's wrong with Priscila? It's a very normal and quite common brazilian name :)


I hope lesmith11 is joking. Priscilla is a Biblical name.


Is it? My knowlegde of english biblical names is not very good :roll:
keithl wrote:As a rule of thumb, it is imprudent to pass over speed bumps faster than orbital velocity.
User avatar
PolakoVoador
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

[sound of record scratch] has to be the greatest name of a baby I have ever heard (with the possible exception of "Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All". However the trick will be getting the child and everyone else to verbally pronounce the name correctly every time. Do that, and you're gold.
Carteeg_Struve
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 1011: "Baby Names"

Postby Ronsonic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

Beyond the Idiocracy-like product names there are options like Cosmolene and Linolea.

Some years ago there was a study that, according to the headlines, showed widespread racism in hiring. The study used a bunch of recent college graduate resumes off the internet and randomly matched them to racially identifiable names from hospital records from the appropriate time. And yes, overall, the "black" names got fewer calls from employers. What was interesting was reading the actual results that showed black employers just as discriminating / discriminatory as white. Then when you get to the raw numbers - Ebony did as well as Heather, it was Quan'esha who couldn't get date and was dragging down the average for the side. Same for the guys, nobody was calling D'Andre while Tyrone was hanging with Tyler and Jeremy.

Now maybe it's still unfair, employers can't know that Quintalisha is ghetto, but they can be pretty sure her mom was.
Ronsonic
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2iw2386e, 7gq6136u, carpinteyrotsr, HES, mscha and 25 guests