The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Just out of curiosity, what liquors does everybody try to keep stocked at all times. Personally, I always try to have at least one bottle from each of the basic food groups: Scotch, Rum, Vodka, Gin and Absinthe. Specifically, I also like to keep a bottle of Irish Mist on hand. What about you guys?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Роберт » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Just out of curiosity, what liquors does everybody try to keep stocked at all times. Personally, I always try to have at least one bottle from each of the basic food groups: Scotch, Rum, Vodka, Gin and Absinthe. Specifically, I also like to keep a bottle of Irish Mist on hand. What about you guys?

No brandy?

I consider the basics (I don't always keep stock) Vodka, Rum (this means dark!), Whiskey, Brandy (VSOP), and Gin.

You can also get a light rum and split whiskey into three seperate categories: Bourbon, Irish Whiskey, and Scotch. And get Everclear.

I think of absinthe as one of the more specialty flavored things like a liqueur, and there's too much variety there to keep stocked, but it's fun to have some of something interesting on hand. Lemoncello is really good, and so are orange liqueurs like Grand Marnier.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Dark567 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I consider the basics (I don't always keep stock) Vodka, Rum (this means dark!), Whiskey, Brandy (VSOP), and Gin.
I'd probably add Tequila somewhere on the list. Brandy is only a maybe, it's popular in the Midwest and California, but virtually non-existent in parts of the southern US. It's a very geographic liquor.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 am UTC

I think you only "need" to stock some portion of each category already mentioned, but I usually carry some depth in a few of them:

• Rum: Light, Oaked, Dark (Dark is things like Goslings, Myers or Blackstrap. Oaked are all those delicious things in between light and dark) and at least one bottle of something interesting for sipping, typically a heavily aged oaked. Each really does have it's own place and distinct uses. And I really like rum.
  • Whiskey: Bourbon or Rye, good Scotch for special opportunities. Most cocktails can move pretty decently between Bourbon or Rye, but I typically have both kicking around. Welcome to being American?
  • Tequila: Both Blanco and Anejo, but you really don't need both (or either, I guess) if you don't like good frozen margaritas (the blanco) or sipping a glass now and again (anejo).
  • Gin: I bounce back and forth between Plymouth and Beefeater, depending on what I've been mixing lately.
  • Brandy: Mostly for Sidecars for my wife. I don't consider it really critical, and have found that I prefer whiskey, rum or tequila over cognac when sipping.
  • Vodka, but only grudgingly and it isn't so much stocked as tolerated when someone leaves it behind.

Both Grand Mariner and cheap triple sec make my list, and I 'stock' other liqueurs like Maraschino and St. Germain because I bought a bottle and go through them very slowly.

And don't forget your vermouth (both types ... and not Martini & Rossi) and a few bitters.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:25 am UTC

Azrael wrote:And don't forget your vermouth (both types ... and not Martini & Rossi)
Why not Martini & Rossi, I am fairly sure it and Stock are the only two brands I have ever had, and I much prefer it to Stock. I have heard Noilly Prat is good.
Last edited by Dark567 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Azrael wrote:And don't forget your vermouth (both types ... and not Martini & Rossi)
Why not Martini & Rossi, I am fairly it and Stock are the only two brands I have ever had, and I much prefer it to Stock. I have heard Noilly Prat is good.

Sure, M&R is better than Stock, but Noilly and Cinzano are actually worth consuming.
Azrael

Postby Роберт » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Роберт wrote:I consider the basics (I don't always keep stock) Vodka, Rum (this means dark!), Whiskey, Brandy (VSOP), and Gin.
I'd probably add Tequila somewhere on the list. Brandy is only a maybe, it's popular in the Midwest and California, but virtually non-existent in parts of the southern US. It's a very geographic liquor.

I knew I'd forgotten something. Tequila can be very good in cooking, too. And brandy is fairly widespread, isn't it? Even if some parts of the U.S. aren't into it... I like it anyway.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:42 am UTC

Never been a fan of brandy or bourbon, so I don't keep those around. I didn't put absinthe in the specific section because it's the same level of specificity as gin or rum, and I don't have a particular favorite type yet. It's also a lot more general than Irish Mist. I don't know if any of this makes sense, I'm tired and a little drunk.

I never realized you could cook with tequila, I'm going to have to try it sometime.
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:06 am UTC

We generally have gin, rum and whisky on hand. If we had more expendable income I'd probably want multiple rums first, then multiple gins, then perhaps a bourbon or rye and more scotch. But before it got to that point we'd be buying other sorts of alcohol. Liquors, beer, wine, vermouth.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 am UTC

I usually like to keep a good cheap vodka (Sobieski, mainly) on hand, not because I actually like drinking it, but because a lot of my drinking friends like to take shots. You can't really shoot good liquor, and it's a waste even if you can stomach it.

Whiskey. Preferably both rye and bourbon, but my wallet hasn't really been allowing that luxury lately. I usually stick with Bulleit for either one, but Rittenhouse is also good for rye, and Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon.

Also, gin. Pretty much just Plymouth. Plus vermouth, but I usually get the cheap stuff since I like my martinis to be mostly gin anyway.

Tequila and rum are less consistent. I like them (Corralejo for tequila, Flor de Cana for rum) but I get tired of them fast, I wouldn't really consider them a staple.
TheAmazingRando

Postby Kick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

I like to have Jagermeister accessible at all times. This begins to run into problems when friends know to always check the fridge. I wish it weren't so expensive...
I'm never sarcastic.
Kick

Postby dubsola » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:24 am UTC

Just one required drink in the cabinet: sipping rum. At the moment I'm drinking XM's Millenium. I do like having a few other drinks around and so at the moment I have some interesting Scotch Whiskey, some Campari, some vodka and two other kinds of rum.

I never considered Jager especially expensive, is it?

Who knows about tequila? I'd like to try a few decent ones one day, what should I look out for?
dubsola

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I never considered Jager especially expensive, is it?
No, unless you are used to drinking cheap vodka. Its priced less then most premium liquors.

Dark567

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Who knows about tequila? I'd like to try a few decent ones one day, what should I look out for?

I have no idea if these can be found on your side of the world, but here's a handy cheat sheet from a booze blogger of good repute from my neck of the woods.
Azrael

Postby Kick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
dubsola wrote:I never considered Jager especially expensive, is it?
No, unless you are used to drinking cheap vodka. Its priced less then most premium liquors.
For a college kid, it's a little expensive. It's more than just about everything else that's common.
I'm never sarcastic.
Kick

Postby Dark567 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:cheap vodka
Kick wrote:college kid
I see these two as equivalent.

Dark567

Postby Kick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Dark567 wrote:cheap vodka
Kick wrote:college kid
I see these two as equivalent.
You would not be very wrong, it's just that cheap beer is more common.
I'm never sarcastic.
Kick

Postby ahammel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

Just finished off a 20 cL bottle of Glen Breton Ice. It was quite tasty, I have to say. Plesantly fruity and medicinal. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy single malts in this province, so I'm tiding myself over with a half-bottle of Balantines Finest, which is decidedly meh. Maybe I'll pick up some bitters and make Old-Fasioneds with it. I've got visitors coming from Alberta, so maybe I'll have them bring me a bottle of single malt.

On a different note: anybody tried this stuff? I'm considering buying it as a present for my future in-laws, as I'm a botanist by training and they're G&T fanatics. I'm not a gin-drinker myself but I've heard good things, and I know from experience that they know what they're doing at Bruichladdich. Their core range scotch is very plesant indeed.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Belial » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Just out of curiosity, what liquors does everybody try to keep stocked at all times. Personally, I always try to have at least one bottle from each of the basic food groups: Scotch, Rum, Vodka, Gin and Absinthe. Specifically, I also like to keep a bottle of Irish Mist on hand. What about you guys?

When I'm actually keeping up on such things, I *try* to keep, at the very least:

Gin (usually plymouth, hendrick's, or beefeater)
Rum (Spiced, generally, sometimes Dark)
Whiskey (Usually irish or scotch)
Moar Whiskey (Something of lower quality for mixing)
Vodka (because sometimes you don't need anything more than to add alcohol to something else)
Tequila (margaritaaaaas)
Triple Sec
Ginger Liqueur
Absinthe

My ideal liquor cabinet would probably have a good deal more. Right now I've been kindof neglecting alcohol so I think i only have gin, rum, ginger, and absinthe handy.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Just out of curiosity, what liquors does everybody try to keep stocked at all times.

Assloads of cheap beer.
Spiced Rum.
Baileys (yeah I know there'll be purists who say Baileys is quite shit but I like it and I can hardly ever afford it so whenever I get the chance to get my hands on a bottle, I enjoy it)
Vodka
Cognac
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby Роберт » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Baileys (yeah I know there'll be purists who say Baileys is quite shit but I like it and I can hardly ever afford it so whenever I get the chance to get my hands on a bottle, I enjoy it)

Just curious which other Irish creams you've had. Micheal's is better than Bailey's IMHO, and probably a touch cheaper. St Brendan's is probably at least a peer to Baileys and should be significantly cheaper.
Роберт

Postby lucrezaborgia » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Amie wrote:Baileys (yeah I know there'll be purists who say Baileys is quite shit but I like it and I can hardly ever afford it so whenever I get the chance to get my hands on a bottle, I enjoy it)

Just curious which other Irish creams you've had. Micheal's is better than Bailey's IMHO, and probably a touch cheaper. St Brendan's is probably at least a peer to Baileys and should be significantly cheaper.

St Brendan's is quite good!
lucrezaborgia

Postby Amie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am UTC

Роберт wrote:Just curious which other Irish creams you've had. Micheal's is better than Bailey's IMHO, and probably a touch cheaper. St Brendan's is probably at least a peer to Baileys and should be significantly cheaper.

I don't get the other ones near where I live :( The last time I had a Baileys bottle was many months ago when someone gave it to me as a birthday present. So I haven't really tasted other Irish creams.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby pkcommando » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

I keep a bottle of Russian Standard on hand and recently ended up with their platinum label. I used to always keep SoCo in stock, but haven't gotten around to replacing my last bottle after I dabbled in a ginormous bottle of that SoCo/Sweet Tea hybrid. Otherwise, it's wine, port, and beer. Come to think of it, my port is also gone and I'm down to only four bottles of wine. I have a sweet dessert-y wine, Sainte-Croix-du-Mont, that I haven't gotten around to opening and a little bit of a honey/apple brandy made by a Massachusetts winery. My budget lately hasn't allowed me much freedom in booze purchases. I'm down to going out for some Two-Buck Chuck to restock my wine rack, not that there's anything wrong with that wine.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.
pkcommando

Postby Роберт » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm UTC

Amie wrote:I don't get the other ones near where I live :( The last time I had a Baileys bottle was many months ago when someone gave it to me as a birthday present. So I haven't really tasted other Irish creams.

Well, Baileys is still Irish cream, so it's certainly good. It's just over-rated and I hate that it's synonymous with Irish cream. It's overpriced and below average in my opinion, but it's still very good.
Роберт

Postby ahammel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Well, Baileys is still Irish cream, so it's certainly good. It's just over-rated and I hate that it's synonymous with Irish cream. It's overpriced and below average in my opinion, but it's still very good.

The "heavily marketed brand is decent but overpriced" problem seems to be rampant in the liquor world (c.f. Johnnie Walker, Jose Cuervo, Martini & Rossi, Bombay Sapphire, Baccardi, Smirnov, Jack Daniel's, etc.)
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Amie wrote:I don't get the other ones near where I live :( The last time I had a Baileys bottle was many months ago when someone gave it to me as a birthday present. So I haven't really tasted other Irish creams.

Well, Baileys is still Irish cream, so it's certainly good. It's just over-rated and I hate that it's synonymous with Irish cream. It's overpriced and below average in my opinion, but it's still very good.

They are the only brand of irish cream that I have seen that has multiple flavours, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Postby Роберт » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:The "heavily marketed brand is decent but overpriced" problem seems to be rampant in the liquor world (c.f. Johnnie Walker, Jose Cuervo, Martini & Rossi, Bombay Sapphire, Baccardi, Smirnov, Jack Daniel's, etc.)

Guinness.

At least with a lot of those, they aren't really synonymous. When someone says "gin" or "tequila", they don't think the brands, or say the brands when they mean the category.
Роберт

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 am UTC

Went to a tequila bar last night. I've been keen, lately, to learn at least *something* about this drink. The bartenders were incredibly helpful, giving me an overview and letting me taste / smell a few. I quite liked what I tried: Started with a Sieta Leguas reposado, which was pretty smooth, then tried an Alma Mia reposado, which is aged in cherry barrels - this one tasted and smelled chocolaty (within reason), and lastly the Don Julio Anejo, which many people recommend - this had a different colour to the others, straw coloured, and you could taste the oak - it reminded me of scotch whiskey (a little bit).

All in all it's a drink I am going to drink more of. It's not so sweet as rum but not as full on as whiskey.
dubsola

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
ahammel wrote:The "heavily marketed brand is decent but overpriced" problem seems to be rampant in the liquor world (c.f. Johnnie Walker, Jose Cuervo, Martini & Rossi, Bombay Sapphire, Baccardi, Smirnov, Jack Daniel's, etc.)

Guinness.

At least with a lot of those, they aren't really synonymous. When someone says "gin" or "tequila", they don't think the brands, or say the brands when they mean the category.

I'd say Gordons is pretty synonymous with Gin, i mean if someone asked someone on the street to name a brand of gin, they'd say Gordons, probably 9 times out of 10.

Postby Dthen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 am UTC

ahammel wrote:
Роберт wrote:Well, Baileys is still Irish cream, so it's certainly good. It's just over-rated and I hate that it's synonymous with Irish cream. It's overpriced and below average in my opinion, but it's still very good.

The "heavily marketed brand is decent but overpriced" problem seems to be rampant in the liquor world (c.f. Johnnie Walker, Jose Cuervo, Martini & Rossi, Bombay Sapphire, Baccardi, Smirnov, Jack Daniel's, etc.)

Johnnie Walker is synonymous with Scotch? As a Scot, that is disheartening.
I like cats.
Dthen
You talk too much, you talking cat

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:42 am UTC

Dthen wrote:
ahammel wrote:

Johnnie Walker is synonymous with Scotch? As a Scot, that is disheartening.

I'd say Glenfiddich or Famous Grouse is the brand I'd think of if I had to name a scotch.

Postby Роберт » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I'd say Gordons is pretty synonymous with Gin, i mean if someone asked someone on the street to name a brand of gin, they'd say Gordons, probably 9 times out of 10.

That's disgusting. Also I wouldn't go that far. It's more like Gordons:Gin::
Bud:Beer
Hersheys:Chocolate

etc
Роберт

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 am UTC

In the region where I found my drinking legs I would say Tanq is more likely to be the first brand on most people's tongue when you say gin. Scotch would definitely be Johnny Walker. Rum is Captain Morgan. Whiskey would probably be Canadian Hunter (I realize scotch is a whiskey, but this isn't about proper taxonomy). Where I am now whiskey would be Jack Daniels.
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby ahammel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 am UTC

But why are we wasting time complaining about brand-name spirits when we could be drinking ourselves blind on good stuff instead?

On that note: I've got a new bottle of Bowmore 12 yo. It'll be my first really peaty single-malt (I'm a bit of a scotch newb). It describes itself on the bottle as "the best balanced of Islay malts", which I suppose means it merely slaps you in the face with peat, where Laphroaig would punch you in the kidneys, steal your wallet and make out with your girlfriend.

Tasting notes spoilered.

Spoiler:
Scent: butterscotch to start out, and then a nice breath of campfire smokiness. I think I'm going to like this peat stuff.

Taste: just as it smells, really. Starts out nice an butterscotchy, then the smoke takes over. It reminds me more of cigarette than campfire in the finish. A little bit of spiciness as well. Quite smooth-drinking. It's only 80-proof, so I didn't bother with water.

Conclusion: maybe not as complex as Highland Park 12, for instance, but I'm quite happy with the purchase. Really decent dram.

I'm going out to a well-stocked bar on Saturday night, so I'll try a few couple of new scotches. I've heard good things about Laphroaig QC and Aberlour A'bunadh, might be a good opportunity to give those a try.
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:20 am UTC

Dthen wrote:Johnnie Walker is synonymous with Scotch? As a Scot, that is disheartening.

Well, if you're in the US and you're not asking for a single malt, you're probably getting Johnnie Walker, but it's not so bad as the situation with Irish cream liqueur. When I first started drinking, I thought Bailey's was a unique concoction because I only ever encountered (or heard about) that style of liqueur in that one brand. Lots of people think this way, and/or they think any other brands are basically imitations. I've never encountered anyone who thinks that sort of thing about scotch.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby mercutio_stencil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 am UTC

ahammel wrote:But why are we wasting time complaining about brand-name spirits when we could be drinking ourselves blind on good stuff instead?

On that note: I've got a new bottle of Bowmore 12 yo. It'll be my first really peaty single-malt (I'm a bit of a scotch newb). It describes itself on the bottle as "the best balanced of Islay malts", which I suppose means it merely slaps you in the face with peat, where Laphroaig would punch you in the kidneys, steal your wallet and make out with your girlfriend.

That's why I like Lagavulin, you wake up the next morning, and both you and your lady friend are missing kidneys. I've had some fascinating Caol Ilas though.
mercutio_stencil

Postby Роберт » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:In the region where I found my drinking legs I would say Tanq is more likely to be the first brand on most people's tongue when you say gin.
I actually quite like Tanq and the regular Bombay (not sapphire). I've been meanting to try Hendrick's. My general limit of <$30 a bottle probably explains my tastes.

So, mainstream stuff I like:
Tanq, Bombay (gin)
Kraken (rum)
Stolichnaya (vodka)
Grand Marnier (brandy-based orange liqueur, though I'll admit I haven't had many other brandy based orange liqueurs)

Mainstream stuff that I think is way overrated (though I'll still drink it of course):
Bailey's
Captain Morgan
Jack
Smirnoff vodka

I'm sure I could come up with a more complete list if I thought harder.
Роберт

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:
ahammel wrote:On that note: I've got a new bottle of Bowmore 12 yo. It'll be my first really peaty single-malt (I'm a bit of a scotch newb). It describes itself on the bottle as "the best balanced of Islay malts", which I suppose means it merely slaps you in the face with peat, where Laphroaig would punch you in the kidneys, steal your wallet and make out with your girlfriend.
That's why I like Lagavulin, you wake up the next morning, and both you and your lady friend are missing kidneys. I've had some fascinating Caol Ilas though.

Although the analogy of which is more peaty might hold, you have the circumstances backwards. If anyone is going to steal your kidneys, it's not Lagavulin.

Bowmore 12, is a still very young, and a bit hot -- rough around the edges. Shares some characteristics with Talisker. If you know bourbon at all, these two are the Knob Creeks to Lagavulin as Blanton's. Lagavulin 16 is far more nuanced; it has a lot of peat, but that's not all there is to the spirit. Bowmore 17, though, is quite lovely.

Personally, I find that Ardbeg carries the heaviest peat. Laphroaig quarter cask is good, but I find that it's just too noisy without careful dilution. Someone mentioned Caol Isa, which I find to be incredibly well rounded, with a great balance of peat at a much younger age (and lower price point) than it's peers.
Azrael

Postby Dark567 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:19 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Personally, I find that Ardbeg carries the heaviest peat. .
Ardbeg Uigeadail is probably the heaviest in peat that I have had, and is also my favorite peaty scotch. The cask strength makes it all the peatier.

EDIT:Today I bought Auchentoshan aged in Bordeaux casks. Super excited to try it tonight.

Dark567

PreviousNext

Return to Food