Major birth control failure

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Major birth control failure

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/sex ... ol-pills-1

Spoiler:
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 1 (HealthDay News) -- About one million packets of birth control pills are being recalled in the United States by Pfizer Inc. because of a packaging error that could reduce the effectiveness of the pills and cause unintended pregnancies.

The recall of 14 lots of Lo/Ovral-28 tablets and 14 lots of generic Norgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol tablets was announced late Tuesday after Pfizer discovered that some blister packs may contain either too many or too few active pills and that the pills may be out of sequence. The expiration dates on the recalled packets range between July 31, 2013 and March 31, 2014.

The pills are packaged in blister packs containing 21 active tablets and seven inactive tablets. The packaging error means that the daily regimen for the pills may be incorrect and could leave women without adequate contraception and at risk for unintended pregnancy, Pfizer said in a news release.

Experts said the error could pose real problems for women using the pills.

Tell us on Facebook: Does this recall impact you?

"This is extremely important," said Dr. Steven Goldstein, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at NYU Langone School of Medicine in New York City. "It is absolutely essential that birth control pills be taken as intended, with 21 medicated pills in a row. Otherwise ovulation could take place and an unintended pregnancy is definitely a possibility."

Another expert agreed.

"Sequence and content of active versus inactive pills is crucial in determining efficacy, including whether or not unwanted pregnancy will be actually prevented," said Dr. Jill Rabin, chief of ambulatory care, obstetrics and gynecology, head of urogynecology at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New Hyde Park, N.Y.

She said that women who determine that they do have the recalled contraceptive pills should first "ensure that you are not currently pregnant (by taking a pregnancy test) if you have any symptoms of pregnancy (missed periods/abnormal bleeding, etc)." They should also switch immediately to a non-hormonal form of contraception if they are not pregnant, notify their health care provider of the situation, and return the defective product to the pharmacy.

Pfizer has informed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about the recall. In a statement issued Wednesday, the FDA agreed that "patients who have the affected product should notify their physician and return the product to the pharmacy."

The cause of the error was identified and corrected immediately, according to Pfizer.

The birth control pills were manufactured and packaged by Pfizer and sold under the Akrimax Pharmaceuticals brand. The pills were distributed to warehouses, clinics and retail pharmacies across the United States.

So if you take birth control, tell your man to wrap his package too, at least short term.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Re: Major birth control failure

Postby buddy431 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

emceng wrote:So if you take birth control, tell your man to wrap his package too, at least short term.

Or, you know, check the brands and lot numbers that were recalled and see if your packages match up.

I don't take hormonal birth control - are the active vs. dummy tablets labeled differently? If they are, and you notice it (and you have a little bit of knowledge about how the pill works) you should be able to figure out that somethings not right, and determine when you need additional measures.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.
buddy431

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:
emceng wrote:So if you take birth control, tell your man to wrap his package too, at least short term.

Or, you know, check the brands and lot numbers that were recalled and see if your packages match up.

I don't take hormonal birth control - are the active vs. dummy tablets labeled differently? If they are, and you notice it (and you have a little bit of knowledge about how the pill works) you should be able to figure out that somethings not right, and determine when you need additional measures.

The pills are often different colours.
LaserGuy

Postby Krealr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:
emceng wrote:I don't take hormonal birth control - are the active vs. dummy tablets labeled differently?

The kind my my wife used to take were completely different colors. The active pills were pink and the inactive were green, I think they may even have had different shapes.
Krealr

Postby Dauric » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

Problem is color/shape identification may not help if the error occurs when the "inactive" mix is loaded in the "active" machine, or if the food coloring poured in the mix was in the wrong machine, and the inactive mix colored like active mix gets loaded in the active-shaped machine.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
Dauric

Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Postby mike-l » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Problem is color/shape identification may not help if the error occurs when the "inactive" mix is loaded in the "active" machine, or if the food coloring poured in the mix was in the wrong machine, and the inactive mix colored like active mix gets loaded in the active-shaped machine.

That sounds like a lot more than a packaging error.

Oh well, back to abstinence for me :(
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
mike-l

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

...and this is why I think it's important for both parties to be using birth control and not overly relying on one party.
lucrezaborgia

Postby legopelle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:...and this is why I think it's important for both parties to be using birth control and not overly relying on one party.

True, but I personally feel the use of a condom is less of a problem then fucking with hormone levels.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?
legopelle

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:...and this is why I think it's important for both parties to be using birth control and not overly relying on one party.

There's always that Indian doctor and his male birth control injection... WHY OH WHY IS HE NOT HERE IN THE STATES YET
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:

True, but I personally feel the use of a condom is less of a problem then fucking with hormone levels.

There's always copper IUDs...
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Which are still significantly more invasive than condoms.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Arrian » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:

There's always that Indian doctor and his male birth control injection... WHY OH WHY IS HE NOT HERE IN THE STATES YET

Is it even approved in India or Europe yet? I thought it was still in the experimental phase and not ready for primetime yet, much less ready for the FDA.

Still doesn't protect against STDs, but it sounds like a wonderful replacement for the pill.
Arrian

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Which are still significantly more invasive than condoms.

I'm just saying it's not a choice between condoms and messing up hormone levels.

STD protection is a condoms only thing, but if we're only talking about birth control, I'd say a copper IUD is pretty non-invasive if you divide the invasiveness by 5-10 years worth of regular sex. It's a set and (mostly) forget thing, as opposed to condoms which require pauses in sexual activity after every ejaculation...
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.
Роберт

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

Unless you have a bad reaction to it. Or don't have the money for it. Or it doesn't stay in properly. Or it does but it gives you a week or more of hell and gore every month. Or the strings are all sharp and poky, ha, now there's a type of invasive that might give you a little more pause...

Just sayin'. There's not a method that's magic-hassle-free for everyone. Otherwise everyone would be using the same thing.
ameretrifle
Vera

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

There's also no method that has a true 100% success rate, so if you're really concerned you should be treating each available method (that can be used simultaneously) as a supplement to all the others and using condoms and spermacide.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Unless you have a bad reaction to it. Or don't have the money for it. Or it doesn't stay in properly. Or it does but it gives you a week or more of hell and gore every month. Or the strings are all sharp and poky, ha, now there's a type of invasive that might give you a little more pause...

Just sayin'. There's not a method that's magic-hassle-free for everyone. Otherwise everyone would be using the same thing.

Exactly. Condoms could be "more invasive" if you're allergic to latex for example.
Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:There's also no method that has a true 100% success rate, so if you're really concerned you should be treating each available method (that can be used simultaneously) as a supplement to all the others and using condoms and spermacide.

To play it safe, you should probably be abstinent in addition to all that. And get regular "abortions" just in case. :lol:
Роберт

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

If you're planning on going with the nuclear options, why bother with the tanks and musketeers?
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Роберт » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:If you're planning on going with the nuclear options, why bother with the tanks and musketeers?

Thus: :lol:

Seriously though, it's a great idea to at least double up on protection if you definitely don't want a pregnancy to result. And I don't mean just wear two condoms.
Роберт

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

But that's the best way to ensure success! ...for some values of success.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Dark567 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:There's also no method that has a true 100% success rate, so if you're really concerned you should be treating each available method (that can be used simultaneously) as a supplement to all the others and using condoms and spermacide.
A vasectomy is virtually 100%, as long as you go in after a few weeks to make sure it worked.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:Oh well, back to absinthe for me :(

How I read that <_<
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.
DaBigCheez

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Diaphragms work pretty darn well with spermicide and condoms if you don't want to do the hormonal route.
lucrezaborgia

Postby Webzter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:A vasectomy is virtually 100%, as long as you go in after a few weeks to make sure it worked.

To be a bit more exact, 4-6 weeks after (along with a certain number of ejaculations)... and recanalization of the vas (tubes grow back together) happens less than 0.5% of the time.

For anyone considering this, consult your SO (if applicable), your doctor, and find someone that performs non-scalpel vasectomies. I also erred on the safe side and elected not to go with the doctor who had beer breath at one in the afternoon.
Webzter

Return to News & Articles