1012: "Wrong Superhero"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1012: "Wrong Superhero"

Postby mikekearn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 am UTC

aldonius wrote:
Cronos51101 wrote:This is why I firmly believe that every scientific laboratory should have no less than a .357 in one of those "In case of emergency, break the glass" cases. I'm pretty sure that guy has nothing more than a 9mm. We can clearly see it lacks the necessary stopping power to take down your average killer mantis. Lab managers, take this to heart. Demand more adequate safety equipment in the work place. It just makes sense.

What should they keep on hand for those fork-spoon hybrids?

A knife?
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.
mikekearn

Postby VectorZero » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:47 am UTC

I see you've played knifey-fork-spoony before!
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.
VectorZero

Postby tomandlu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 am UTC

troyp wrote:Does he come running to see if someone's making a dubious criticism of the plural form "octopi"?

A man writes to an exotic animal supplier:

Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongeese mongooses mongi a mongoose.

P.S. Dammit - send me two.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?
tomandlu

Postby Zamite » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 am UTC

Felix Tamen wrote:I don't know what –ology Randal had in mind (I'm no Bible scholar), but etiology wasn't it. Anybody know?

Why not just Theology.
Zamite

Postby MitraSmit » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 am UTC

It's really bugging me (pahdum tsss) that etymology with extra N is still entYmology, not ENTOmology. Entomology man should have realized this.
- I don't have time for these bugs
-OK then just leave them out
MitraSmit

Postby Inglonias » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am UTC

Storm wrote:
Mynameisonic wrote:Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking with Portals. I like this new pseudohero!

I was about to post this too!
Inglonias

Postby flekkie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am UTC

It suprises me how Cyanide And Happiness - like these Etymologyman comics are.
At C&H they have the same kinds of anti-heroes, Seizure man, AssRape-man,Punchline Spoiler Man, Education man...

And the building up is completly the same, A disastrous situation that asks for a superhero, hero appears, but hero isn't helping at all. Instead he makes it worse/does something completly unuseful.

To state my point.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u202/meganwagon/Cyanide%20and%20Happiness/bomb.png

But anyway, apart from noticing the similarity (i'm suprised no-one on the forums yet mentioned this? I assume most of you know C&H as well?),
i really like Etymology man. Superheroe comics are great :)
flekkie

Why all the name issues?

Postby mmcmonster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 am UTC

Makes me think that either:
1 - Randall's wife is pregnant.
or
2 - Randall just got a new server and is having trouble naming it.

:P
mmcmonster

Postby JamesLucas » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am UTC

I hope there are enough full-fledged Etymology Man strips for us to finally get up to Etymology Man IV: The Quest for 'P's.
JamesLucas

Postby John Romberg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

I loled!
John Romberg

Postby DVC » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 pm UTC

Yay!

I've been resisting becoming another of those academics who posts xkcd comics on their door, but I use a version of this joke all the time, so I might just have to post this one up.
DVC

Postby Sasquach » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

I created an account just to be able to post regarding this comic:

PLEASE oh PLEASE make this into a poster....
Sasquach

Postby red5 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

Cronos51101 wrote:This is why I firmly believe that every scientific laboratory should have no less than a .357 in one of those "In case of emergency, break the glass" cases. I'm pretty sure that guy has nothing more than a 9mm. We can clearly see it lacks the necessary stopping power to take down your average killer mantis. Lab managers, take this to heart. Demand more adequate safety equipment in the work place. It just makes sense.

At the very least, there should be a handy supply of crowbars in every supply closet.
red5

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

I always thought that Entomologists studied the plant life of Middle Earth
"Thyme heals all wounds. At least that’s what the guy selling alternative medicine told me."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/
peewee_RotA

Postby VectorZero » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I always thought that Entomologists studied the plant life of Middle Earth
VectorZero

Postby DougDean » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Etymology-Man returns! Who says superhero sequels are never as good as the original?
...or maybe Malapropism Man...?
DougDean

Postby DougDean » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I always thought that Entomologists studied the plant life of Middle Earth
No; that would be Entologists
Or perhaps Medigeobotanists...
DougDean

Postby kubuzetto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

No Green Brain jokes?

Ok.
kubuzetto

Postby Red Hal » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

DougDean wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:Etymology-Man returns! Who says superhero sequels are never as good as the original?
...or maybe Malapropism Man...?
Malapropism man's battle cry: "To Infinity, and behind!"
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby TexasToast » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Also, the Wikipedia page for Etiology clearly says, "Not to be confused with Etymology, the study of the history of words, or Entomology, the study of insects."

I don't doubt that's the word Randall was going for.
TexasToast

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

Wow, I had forgotten Etymology Man until I came to this thread. Weird to think that he first showed up this week, too.

Dealing with the mantis should be easy; just get its head dirty and then hide. When it tries to clean its head with its arms, it's likely to accidentally yank its own head off.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."
SpringLoaded12

Postby VectorZero » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

Ragashingo wrote:
sehkzychic wrote:I'm more curious how, in a lab that manages to make bug enormous (ignoring surface area : volume ratio problems with a tracheal breathing system and the cubic increase of mass), they manage not to know that they are, themselves, entomologists not etymologists.
Perhaps both Etymology-Man and Entomology-Man have bad hearing and are always accidentally showing up where they don't belong.
Actually maybe it's the receptionist with hearing trouble. When they first called about their insect problem they were put through to Child Protection...
VectorZero

Postby Coyne » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Ah, so he returns. And after only a 1-comic intermission too. Gee, either he's popular or Randall is in a phase...

Hope we see more of him.

In addition, I want to see the lab scenario which led to this.

Yeah, it was probably pretty interesting.

Bet it also involved a failure to promptly kill insect zero.
Coyne

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

Really? A callback after only four days?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

TexasToast wrote:Also, the Wikipedia page for Etiology clearly says, "Not to be confused with Etymology, the study of the history of words, or Entomology, the study of insects."

I don't doubt that's the word Randall was going for.

But there's the rub. They're firing on it. If they wanted Entomology Man, they would be examining it, studying it, not treating it with extreme prejudice.

They went in there to kill them. Not study. Not to bring back. That's the plan, you have my word on it. But how do we know it'll affect their biochemistry?

I say they take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Last edited by Jackpot777 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jackpot777

Postby Sprocket » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

Dear Randall,

I forgive you for everything. The past is the past. Come on, it's hug time.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Plutarch » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

flekkie wrote:It suprises me how Cyanide And Happiness - like these Etymologyman comics are.
To state my point.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u202 ... s/bomb.png

For someone called 'Education-Man,' this character seems to use language poorly. 'That's exactly how long one should brush their teeth.' Surely that should be 'That's exactly how long one should brush one's teeth.' Unless he's talking about brushing someone else's teeth, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as he illustrates his point by brushing his own.
Plutarch

Postby pscottdv » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Cronos51101 wrote:This is why I firmly believe that every scientific laboratory should have no less than a .357 in one of those "In case of emergency, break the glass" cases. I'm pretty sure that guy has nothing more than a 9mm. We can clearly see it lacks the necessary stopping power to take down your average killer mantis.

Second that. It's the extra 2.7 thousands of an inch that leaves room enough for giant bug guts to drain out the hole in the carapace! And for Gods sake, replace those aging mortars with RPGs. It's like you're ASKING for a mobile armor attack!
pscottdv

Postby forbiddenSpell » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

Storm wrote:
Mynameisonic wrote:Those of you who volunteered to be injected with praying mantis DNA, I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you: fighting an army of mantis men. Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking with Portals. I like this new pseudohero!

I also thought of this. I didn't remember the exact quote though, so I'm glad someone else posted it.
forbiddenSpell

Postby scalziand » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

I keep expecting Triangle-man to show up now.
scalziand

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

Congratulations,
You won 200 internets after this awesome quote :D
keithl wrote:As a rule of thumb, it is imprudent to pass over speed bumps faster than orbital velocity.
PolakoVoador

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

red5 wrote:

At the very least, there should be a handy supply of crowbars in every supply closet.

Where did the crossbows go?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.
Fire Brns

Postby sehkzychic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
red5 wrote:

Where did the crossbows go?

Crossbows should have pretty decent stopping power, too! Or at least "temporary stopping power." Unless you're using metal bolts?
sehkzychic

Location: ONI Orbital Facility Around [REDACTED PER COLE PROTOCOL]

Postby sehkzychic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Oh wait, the perfect solution: get a recording of bat vocalizations (including their sonar). It worked for Buffy in her less badass days.
sehkzychic

Location: ONI Orbital Facility Around [REDACTED PER COLE PROTOCOL]

Postby Ronsonic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

tomandlu wrote:
troyp wrote:Does he come running to see if someone's making a dubious criticism of the plural form "octopi"?

A man writes to an exotic animal supplier:

Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongeese mongooses mongi a mongoose.

P.S. Dammit - send me two.

Please send me a mongoose and another one.
Ronsonic

Postby Ronsonic » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Angrist wrote:Is it sad that I just want to yell "Front Sight!" at the guy shooting?

Stance, grip, sight, squeeze!
Ronsonic

Postby Aetius451 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

There is an implied self-reference here, though it's not clearly intentional: Though all his words in the comic describe the etymology of "entomology," Etymology Man is really explaining the etymological difference between "entomology" and "etymology."

Carthago delenda est.
Aetius451

Postby feldgendler » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

They have some superhero summoning buttons behind that glass.
feldgendler

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

pscottdv wrote:
Cronos51101 wrote:This is why I firmly believe that every scientific laboratory should have no less than a .357 in one of those "In case of emergency, break the glass" cases. I'm pretty sure that guy has nothing more than a 9mm. We can clearly see it lacks the necessary stopping power to take down your average killer mantis.

Second that. It's the extra 2.7 thousands of an inch that leaves room enough for giant bug guts to drain out the hole in the carapace! And for Gods sake, replace those aging mortars with RPGs. It's like you're ASKING for a mobile armor attack!

Its more a matter of the 570 J vs. 960 J of energy (9mm vs. 357 magnum).
Greyarcher:Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery.
JimsMaher:Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots.
HES: Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong.
eran_rathan

Postby catbus » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

The giant (well, bigger than normal, this ain't Mothra territory) praying mantis brings to mind this article which's well worth a perusal: http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/ The Biology of B-Movie Monsters by Michael C. LaBarbera
catbus

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads