My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 am UTC

Ponynomics:
Spoiler:
There's a lot going on in the episode. Some of it is good, some of it is bad, but a lot of it depends on what you project onto it.

For example, a basic assumption of economics is that when prices are high, competitors enter the market. (Time is a price.) There really shouldn't be a line to Sweet Apple Acres that stretches as far as the eye can see- they ought to be buying their cider at Rich's Barnyard Bargains, which undoubtedly has more than one cashier. Wholesaling isn't as glamorous as direct sales, so I understand the creative decision there. Anyway, Flim and Flam taking advantage of an opportunity presented by Sweet Apple Acres' lack of capacity is a correct example.

The Apple family makes a lot of terrible decisions in this episode. A potential competitor shows up, and wants some apples for a demonstration? They say "borrow," but get a price first, Applejack. They offer a contest that you know you won't win, set the stakes higher than you can afford, and you say yes because of an insult? That's terrible, and at that point the Apples deserve to lose the farm. At the very least, pivot and make it a taste test!* I would probably call this a correct example, in that a bad decision leads to a bad situation, (the Apples do lose the contest). (It's problematic in that they don't actually suffer any consequences, and it's better to give examples of good decisions than examples of bad decisions. There are lots of ways to invert a bad decision, and not all of them lead to good ones.)

Flim and Flam come off as (mostly) honest businessponies, who just don't care enough about quality. Commercial competition being between mostly decent ponies is a correct example. (Also, I think, is attempting to cut your competitor's heart out and eat it.)

Notice that Twilight Sparkle mentions some ratios. The machine works at three times the rate of the Apples by themselves. Double the number of ponies working, and you get... five times the output?** That's a ludicrous amount of synergy, given that there are just twice as many ponies doing each job. (The only job that's added is Twilight Sparkle swapping out the barrels instead of Big Mac doing it. Big Mac would have to spend 60% of his time swapping barrels for that (and the doubling) to explain it, and that's clearly not the case.) Specialization of labor is massively important, but that isn't a focus here, and the speedup just comes out of thin air. That seems like a mostly incorrect example, and is unfortunately what the interaction hinges on.

That Flim and Flam's decision to sacrifice customer satisfaction in order to increase quantity bites them in the ass, hard, is a correct example. There's a whole class of businesses that have become dominant by focusing on customer satisfaction (like Southwest, Enterprise, USAA, Costco, Vanguard, and so on), and many businesses begin to lose their dominance when they become so large that it takes major effort for managers and executives to track satisfaction.

But this is a place where people can go fuzzy in the head, especially if they associate Flim and Flam with "capitalism." Capitalism is the environment Flim and Flam are operating in, and they lose, like they should. In, say, a Soviet quota system where the number of barrels was all that matters, Flim and Flam would win. As is, they could prevent the Apples from selling their cider, since the Flim Flam brothers won the contest, but decide not to because they're more interested in making money (and not paying for the apples and trees they ruined) than in ruining their competition. (Again, score a point; profit is more important than pride.)

But it's not clear why Flim and Flam don't just go to the earliest barrels they made, the ones that surprised Granny Smith with their quality, and then quietly throw out the barrels they made without quality control. It looked like they had about enough to supply all of Ponyville (especially if they appropriate the barrels the Apples made that they can't sell).

The "big business" angle is also odd. Both of them are clearly closely held family firms. If anything, Sweet Apple Acres is the bigger business!

The "handcraft over machinecraft" lesson is incorrect, or at very least, a gigantic missed opportunity. Why fight for monopoly rights for Ponyville? Why not segment the market, with Sweet Apple Acres increasing the price of its cider while Flim and Flam ensure that nobody goes thirsty with their discount product?

tl;dr: the episode is definitely Luddite in a bothersome way, and the Apples make some stupid decisions, and Twilight's assistance is unrealistically useful. But the economics isn't terrible, even if it is unimaginative. The core lesson- that integrity is valuable- is totally correct, and something that real markets reward.

*Even this is a poor decision, as shown by New Coke. Taste tests are a small portion of the entire value embodied in a product, and so optimizing a drink to win a taste test is not the same as optimizing a product to win customers.

**Think about the math for a bit here. The Apples, with help, made 32 barrels over the course of an hour, part at top speed and the rest at 5x speed. There were 24 barrels at the stand at the opening of cider season. If Twilight and Company started helping at the very start of the hour, you're looking at 6.2 barrels an hour, which implies they only make cider 4 hours a day. (If Twilight and Company only started helping at the halfway point, you're looking at 10.3 barrels an hour, which implies the Apples only make cider 2 hours a day.)

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Another thing I forgot: Applebloom's message at the end, that competition benefits consumers, is another correct message.

My primary complaint is that the episode is a 'villain gets run out of town' episode like Boast Busters and not a 'everybody goes home happy' episode like Over a Barrel. Flim and Flam are clearly meant to be traveling salesmen in the American Huckster tradition, and so it's appropriate they get run out of town when their product fails, but it would have been nice if their product was uniformly bad, not that they made the 'pride over profit' mistake too.
Last edited by Vaniver on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:29 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 am UTC

Look at us, geeking out on ponies. Let me just say I am proud to be here with y'all.
poxic wrote:Some real people do lack character development, after all.
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

Yeah, but a lot more of media have a Luddite message. I thought the same things in Lord of the Rings, for instance, Saruman is bad, Saruman is industrialized.
ArgonV

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Spoiler:
Double the number of ponies working, and you get... five times the output?**

I guess twi's assuming some modified productiveness form of Lanchester's square law (it's totally valid because competition is war) :P
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby eeris » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It seems perfectly reasonable to me that doubling the number of workers can more than double the output. Especially considering half the current workforce is Applebloom and Granny Smith.

The only problem I would have with this episode is if the Apples don't get more help every cider season.
eeris

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Granny Smith wasn't doing any manual labor and looked to be working just as fast as Rarity. Apple Bloom wasn't missing any apples.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Spoiler:
Flim and Flam are clearly meant to be traveling salesmen in the American Huckster tradition, and so it's appropriate they get run out of town when their product fails, but it would have been nice if their product was uniformly bad, not that they made the 'pride over profit' mistake too.

Spoiler:
Indeed. I was expecting them to have been using inferior quality apples all along. Obviously when offering a free sample they let the machine toss the bad ones. I was really hoping they would turn out to be objectively sleazy.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
eeris wrote:It seems perfectly reasonable to me that doubling the number of workers can more than double the output.
More than double, sure. But quintuple is just outside the realm of plausibility, especially given that they've already specialized the job almost completely. (Like I mention, the only new job added is they split the cider presser and barrel swapper jobs.)

Especially if the implication is that any of the helpers are better than the Apple pony on the job. If Fluttershy can shake trees more quickly than Applejack can buck them, then that doesn't speak well to Applejack's cutie mark. Similarly, Dash is a great sprinter but Big Mac really ought to have more endurance.

If, say, Flim and Flam just didn't have quality control, and so were able to make more / faster, and so won the contest but couldn't get anyone to buy their crappy cider, that wouldn't have any poor implications. But bringing in the technology angle just muddies the water too much.

Vaniver

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, the "technology angle" was only because of a bit of an apple family knee-jerk when they saw the machine, near the beginning of the episode. In the end it did come down to FF making more but it sucking. Had they not turned off quality control, they would have lost the competition they agreed too.

Ooh! Ooh! You know what would have been REALLY cool? If, instead of Rainbow Dash suggesting that they stop being picky about the apples, someone else did and they actually did stop being picky. Then at the end, the apple famiky wins by one barrel but both sides' cider sucks. Then Rainbow Dash complains because she was the one who wants the delicious cider in the first place! Then they would have had a lesson.

Some lines about quality over quantity earlier in the episode might have to be reworked, though, but I think it could work.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

The Scyphozoa

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:34 am UTC

All this cider discussion is great and all, but I found a deleted scene from the babies episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSIzmYm- ... re=related
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
Princess Marzipan

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:All this cider discussion is great and all, but I found a deleted scene from the babies episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSIzmYm- ... re=related

Which was released within hours of the episode airing, because it was done beforehand and the baby vector added at the last minute. Hence why the set from Epic Cupcake Time was reused.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 am UTC

Well now I know.
Princess Marzipan

Postby Weeks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:33 am UTC

Game_boy, I doubt anyone took that seriously. Not even yourself. >.>
Weeks

Postby Game_boy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Game_boy, I doubt anyone took that seriously. Not even yourself. >.>

That's right.
Game_boy

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 pm UTC

Seen this yet?
ArgonV

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 am UTC

I'm disappointed by the inaccuracy. There are no eggs in( good) pie crust.
cephalopod9

Postby Angua » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

Sartorius wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:(Also)4, even though the show doesn't clarify and there isn't enough time, I like to assume they're referring to hard cider, hence the high demand.

Man, cider's awesome, even without alcohol. I do think it'd be funny if it were alcoholic though.

Cider isn't alcoholic?????

/uk-ism
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/St. Kitts and Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Weeks » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

So they've taken The Last Roundup off iTunes and Tabs has removed all instances of "Derpy" from her site. More info here.

I hope they call her Ditzy Doo. It just makes sense.
Weeks

Postby Game_boy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
I hope they call her Ditzy Doo. It just makes sense.

Yes. Nothing can take the canon reference from our memories, and we can still carry on referring to her as Derpy unofficially.

If they re-record the line as Ditzy and put it back up, I hope Tabitha will use a female voice.
Game_boy

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

I hope they do. It seemed so risky to me to call her Derpy officially.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 am UTC

The first line she has, "I just don't know what went wrong!", doesn't sound all that much like a male voice... but it all goes downhill from there.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Vieto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:35 am UTC

Why didn't the Smith family sue for property damages? They could have driven the enterprising Flim-Flam brothers out of business, and acquired their device to boot!
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

Read It and Weep:
Spoiler:
More like Rainbow Brash, amirite?

Every death trap at once?

Rainbow Dash's catsuit was a nice touch. (I thought she was just going to break into the library, but the hospital made for a much better target.) Though it looks like it's actually just a hoodie? Interesting.

The barking being done by a patient (Loose Screw?) was... surprisingly adult? I haven't watched kids' TV in a long time and so I have no clue how insanity is normally dealt with.

Poor Spike. (Also thought about the wording for a bit. "Athletic ponies can also be smart" vs. "everypony can enjoy reading." Also, Rainbow Dash's letter to Celestia is about how it's good to experiment? *wink wink nudge nudge*)

The villain, Ahuizotl, is an Aztec legendary creature. I very much enjoy the breadth of their monstrous creature selection.

Vaniver

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Spoiler:
Every death trap at once?

Rainbow Dash's catsuit was a nice touch. (I thought she was just going to break into the library, but the hospital made for a much better target.) Though it looks like it's actually just a hoodie? Interesting.

Spoiler:
Yes. Every death trap at once, with the exception of giant rolling boulder. Bravo. Spiders... on the spikes! Win!

A hoodie, huh? Obviously someone needs to draw a L4D Hunter with wings and a rainbow tail.

Also, the show seems to be using Spike more and more like he is treated in Friendship is Witchcraft.

The Scyphozoa

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, the show seems to be using Spike more and more like he is treated in Friendship is Witchcraft.

Spoiler:
I got a lot of FiW vibes from this ep, not only did we have Spike being the useless butt monkey, but rainbowdash was soooo rainbow and couldn't see.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Vaniver » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm not seeing Spike's depiction as that FiW inspired. Spike has done the "lookin good" thing before.

Vaniver

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
It was more the ponies' reaction to Spike which gave me the FiW vibes.

eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Weeks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:08 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I got a lot of FiW vibes from this ep, not only did we have Spike being the useless butt monkey, but rainbowdash was soooo rainbow and couldn't see.
Spoiler:
She couldn't see? She was reading that book pretty fine...
Weeks

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:21 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
She couldn't see? She was reading that book pretty fine...

Spoiler:
Just right at the beginning, when the other ponies were saying about whether he face was going to stay like that.

eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Weeks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:46 am UTC

....Oh god.

Nice catch.
Weeks

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:41 am UTC

The episode for this coming Saturday has been accidentally released early by iTunes, and you can find it on YouTube.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Vaniver » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Eh. As much as I'm really looking forward to this episode, I think I'll wait until Saturday morning.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Bump because EPISODE.

From the EQDaily thread:

Civanfan wrote:The tragic tale of Big Mac's doomed attempts to become a cardiac surgeon, in spite of a crippling lack of fingers.

Cheerilee's his first patient. It doesn't go well.

Hearts and Hooves Day:
Spoiler:
The choice of text for the blackboard was odd. As far as I can tell, it's vector calculus describing a Gaussian surface. (If Cheerilee is teaching vector calculus to pre-pubescent children, I take back everything I said about her teaching.)

Tubs of jelly stallion. Just... his face. Look at his face. Cue lewd jokes about stallion jelly.

Lots of new Big Mac lines! But they're almost all cutesy names.

HappyMac was fun to watch at the jewelry store :3 (and bouncing to the Boutique).

My prediction is that Big Mac and Cheerilee are just trolling the CMCs with their gazebo picnic, but they might actually be an item now. Thoughts?
Overall, solid episode.

Vaniver

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Not sure what I think about the lack of letter to the princess. She said they should write whenever a lesson about Friendship is learned. The CMC totally learned a lesson, but it might appear to come across as something like "that potion is bad because it renders the drinker inert" rather than what it should have been, "love can't be forced". They shouldn't have NEEDED the story about the prince abd princess neglecting their duties to know that Big Mac and Cheerilee weren't acting themselves and that that's bad.

Also, look at the shot of the CMC under Twilight's legs again.
Apple Bloom: What's going on?
Sweetie Belle: OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.
Scootaloo: My body is ready.
Last edited by The Scyphozoa on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Angua » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 pm UTC

The CMC aren't under any obligation to write letters to the princess.

I thought it was a pretty cute episode.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/St. Kitts and Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

Yeah, Celestia would have to have Herculean patience to want to get a letter every time the CMC screw up and learn something.

Vaniver

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

So, uh... any idea what's wrong with the spoiler tags in my post above?
(fixed)
Last edited by The Scyphozoa on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Game_boy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

Might buy a Vinyl Scratch.
Game_boy

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Speaking of Vinyl Scratch...
132848946759.jpg

That's my phone background. I love it so much.

The Scyphozoa

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows