Alice: Madness Returns

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Alice: Madness Returns

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

Has anybody here played this game?

I saw it in a computer supplies shop a few months ago, then googled a bit and took a look at some YouTube videos of people playing the game, but didn't seem to find anybody who actually played it.
All my gamer friends were like "heard of it, haven't played".

If there are those who played it here, would you recommend it?
What are your thoughts on the game?

Thank you in advance :)
PerchloricAcid

Re: Alice: Madness Returns

Postby Koa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

It has interesting imagery and an okay combat system, but it's also very padded. Same fights, same puzzles, and new content drips in every few hours. I'd recommend it if half the game didn't feel like padding, but as it is I'm very indifferent about it.
Koa

Postby Tomo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

I thought it was brilliant, while I can see where the above poster is coming from, it's not the sort of game you play for the gameplay at all. While it is samey - but good - that's not really the point.

The consistently interesting locales and imagery used throughout the game are gorgeous, and I found it an absolute joy to simply run around in.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"
Tomo

Postby PerchloricAcid » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:it's not the sort of game you play for the gameplay at all.

What does one play the game for, what would you say? :)
PerchloricAcid

Postby Tomo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
Tomo wrote:it's not the sort of game you play for the gameplay at all.

What does one play the game for, what would you say? :)

Games can be worth playing for the storyline, characters, art direction and imagery, not to mention social interaction. Some of my favourite games - WoW, Deadly Premonition, Alice, FFXIII have fairly average gameplay, but it's more than enough to facilitate enjoyment of everything else they offer. More of my favourite games - Ikaruga, or Burnout are purely distilled gameplay with essentially nothing in the way of plot, characters or storyline, and that's ok too. Of course, the game needs to be playable - and that's not a problem with Alice, it is a lot of fun, it's just not the main focus of the title.

I play literally thousands of games, and for many different reasons, I don't think there's anything wrong with a statement like that at all!
"0.9999...?"
Tomo

Postby PerchloricAcid » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

I think there was a misunderstandment.
I didn't mean to say that you said anything wrong - I wanted to ask you what is it about this game that gets people to play it (as you said it's not gameplay).
PerchloricAcid

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

It's a magical mystery tour through a bad acid trip.

I haven't finished it, played it for.. a little over a half hour, apparently. Huh. Seemed longer... not sure if that's a good or bad thing (or just Steam not recording playtime correctly, as it sometimes does)

But that's my pull to it. That, and having played it's predecessor. It's kinda a shinier, fancier retread, so far, but that's why I play it - for the Grimdark Wonderland.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby PerchloricAcid » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Well, that's the thing that got me attracted to the game in the first place :)

Seems like I'm buying myself a game in a month or so (after the finals). :)
PerchloricAcid

Postby Xeio » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

I liked it, but I think they could have made it a chapter shorter and I would have been just as happy. I just ignored collectibles the whole last chapter even.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Tomo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:32 am UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:I think there was a misunderstandment.
I didn't mean to say that you said anything wrong - I wanted to ask you what is it about this game that gets people to play it (as you said it's not gameplay).

Ah right - in that case, as others have said, the gameplay is fun enough, and doesn't detract from the overall game imo, but the reason to play the game would be to experience all the weird and wonderful nightmares that Alice travels through. Highly enjoyable, if you like that sort of thing :p
"0.9999...?"
Tomo

Postby Koa » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am UTC

It's really more interesting in a gothic anime sort of way than something ethereal or abstract, like I'd expect from hearing "experience all the weird and wonderful nightmares." It's a mediocre action adventure game with a unique theme. If you like the genre and the box art, that's pretty much what you're getting.
Koa

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:14 pm UTC

Great, thanks guys :D

Would you suggest I playthis one first?
PerchloricAcid

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

Yes, No? It was an interesting game, but from what I recall of that, Madness Returns is a successor or even a remake, not a sequel. So.. play it if you want?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Tomo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:Great, thanks guys :D

Would you suggest I playthis one first?

It's technically a sequel set a few years later, but there's essentially no continuity between them. It's interesting to see how the game has evolved though, so I'd play it. Plus if you play the second one first, love it and try to go back, the graphics might be jarring if you're bothered by that sort of thing. Plus, it's included free with copies of Madness Returns anyway afaik, so you're losing nothing by trying out the first level or so at least.
"0.9999...?"
Tomo

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Oh, I mixed something up. Thanks again guys :)
PerchloricAcid

Return to Gaming