The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

Well... since you say you're an Honest Upstanding type, I'm assuming you don't have the Ebony Mail, so.... no. I do not know.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Nope, I don't do those kind of Daedric quests
ArgonV

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

The only instance where I had a similar thing going on was when I ran into some random hostile goats, and only a bit up ahead I ran into the Spriggan that had possesed them.

So you might've encountered that, but missed the Spriggan.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Will » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

That's one of my (minor) quibbles with the game--I had to decide fairly early that I *wasn't* going to play an honest upstanding citizen type, because doing so cuts off a significant portion of the game (Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Daedric quests). I have a hard time not going light side in RPGs.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Adam H » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

That's no quibble, that's a feature called "replay value"!
-Adam
Adam H

Postby Vaniver » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Also, can anyone think of a reason goats sometimes spontaneously become hostile towards me?
I have come across a giant with several goats, all of which are hostile. That may be the cause.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

Luckily, I've always gone for the honest, upstanding citizen... who worships Daedra. I mean, there's a couple of things I won't do - Namira's Quest, for starters - but it still opens up a lot of options. Though I am really looking forward to playing my next character, where I'll just throw morals out of the window and kill as many Wood Elves as I like :P

Oh, and my Official Soundtrack finally arrived today :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby not baby Newt » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Apparently there is now a Hi-Res texture pack available. Not sure exactly how to install since it doesn't show as a separate game entry, but I think it was the 3GB download I triggered for skyrim but it was being wonky and I didn't have time to really see if it installed at lunch.

No idea about the steam store, but traditionally it's unzipped into data, and the game looks for files there before looking in the resource files which are pretty much compressed directories.

--

Probably will not play the char much, but tried a mage on master difficulty without conjuration / companions. Sooo glad quickload is fast. Illusion dual casting and the first frenzy spell goes far against normal bandits, still need reloads. Mages and most animals kill me dead.

Lvl 10. 30 destruction. Reached college. Train x5, lvlup, train x5. Stagger perk. Ah... I see... no single melee foe has a chance if I spam it without missing. Mwahaha. But it would hurt my hand to keep up :/

edit: had a look at the DLC hi-res texture pack. I how have two data files named HighResTexturePack01.esp andHighResTexturePack02.esp. ... and I'm apparantly able to enable two, and play the game, while something is 5% downloaded in steam? There has *not* been enough time for a 3GB download.

edit edit: I was able to enter the game. Then I quit, and now I cannot play until the download has finished. The two .esp files are 66 bytes. So probably didn't do much.
Last edited by not baby Newt on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
not baby Newt

Postby Adam H » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

The high res is free DLC on steam. It's on the main skyrim game page. I'm kind of really impressed that Bethesda made it freely available like this. I guess it didn't cost them much, but still.

I've been playing a new hunter character in "realistic mode" - completely transparent HUD, no music, no looking at the in-game map, no crosshair, and no quest indicators. It's quite a fun change of pace. Archery without a crosshair is really awesome, actually. There's a learning curve with aiming, and stealth archery is less accurate because the tip of the arrow is further away from where you're aiming.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:no looking at the in-game map

?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Adam H wrote:The high res is free DLC on steam. It's on the main skyrim game page. I'm kind of really impressed that Bethesda made it freely available like this. I guess it didn't cost them much, but still.
There would have been quite an uproar if they made you pay for just slightly better textures. Particularly since they don't actually improve the game's look much at all.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Jessica » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 am UTC

Has anyone been able to use the creation kit that also just came out on steam for Skyrim? I would really love to play around with it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Theory of Mind » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Adam H wrote:The high res is free DLC on steam. It's on the main skyrim game page. I'm kind of really impressed that Bethesda made it freely available like this. I guess it didn't cost them much, but still.
There would have been quite an uproar if they made you pay for just slightly better textures. Particularly since they don't actually improve the game's look much at all.

I'm assuming that these are just the textures they originally made in development, with less compression. I have to admit there are a few user made texture packs I like better, but it's easy enough to pick and chose what I want to overwrite.
Theory of Mind

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Luckily, I've always gone for the honest, upstanding citizen... who worships Daedra. I mean, there's a couple of things I won't do - Namira's Quest, for starters - but it still opens up a lot of options. Though I am really looking forward to playing my next character, where I'll just throw morals out of the window and kill as many Wood Elves as I like :P

Oh, and my Official Soundtrack finally arrived today :D

Look, once I have a million gold and own a controlling share in all the shops I will be an honest upright citizen because my theft will be limited to my insanely low tax rate, massive exploitation of workers, and the shares I sell in my non-existent railroad.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Adam H » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:
?
Why are you the only one that gets a GPS! It's much more fun to try an orient yourself using the throat of the world and the sun.
-Adam
Adam H

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:
?
Why are you the only one that gets a GPS! It's much more fun to try an orient yourself using the throat of the world and the sun.

Man, that would be hardcore mode. Navigation only by signposts and landmarks, no fast travel. Kind of defeats the object though if it's not your first run, plus a lot of quests might be impossible insofar as the NPCs just mark your map instead of giving solid "first right turn out of Rorikstead" type directions.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb
An Enraged Platypus

Postby Ibid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

Orienting yourself without a firm map marker using only in game directions and landmarks?

*Has a Morrowind flashback*

"NO! Not the directions! Not the direction! Oh god, I don't know what just outside Caldera means! Cliff racers, cliff racers everywhere! AAAAAAAA!"
Ibid: Most prolific author in academia
Ibid

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:
Adam H wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:
?

Man, that would be hardcore mode. Navigation only by signposts and landmarks, no fast travel. Kind of defeats the object though if it's not your first run, plus a lot of quests might be impossible insofar as the NPCs just mark your map instead of giving solid "first right turn out of Rorikstead" type directions.

Yeah. The one run I'm doing as a No Fast Travel (just Cart Network) I've gave myself the concession of being able to look at the overworld map while I'm in a town, an inn, or otherwise civilized area (High Hrothgar, for example), since no one gives me directions to goddamn anything (and the Radiant System itself is particularly "NO DIRECTIONS!" in it's execution), and some characters, like Arngeir, directly reference you having a map. I feel it's a fair to the spirit, since after walking about five minutes I no longer remember where it is beyond "Four or six mountain peaks North East of here... I think."

In other news, nothing.. and I mean nothing makes you hate the 7000 steps more than a No Fast Travel run. I'm thinking of adding in an exception to that, allowing me to fast travel to High Hrothgar from Ivarstead and back again, and that's it. Fuck the (not) 7000 steps.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

:shock:

I'm not sure what I love more - the ideas they came up with or the fact that this really could mean they're doing Morrowind-style DLC.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

I would expect some hunters would have rudimentary maps of the areas they hunt.

You have charcoal and rolls of paper, why wouldn't you be able to draw maps? Alternatively, one of the many detailed maps showing holds, forts, and roads could be purchased, reproduced, or "go missing" providing you with a perfectly viable map to use while adventuring.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.
Lostdreams

Postby Will » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

I wouldn't mind having a map with the "you are here" arrow missing. It's still an interesting challenge to navigate an area with a map when the map doesn't always tell you exactly where you are at all times (like every map ever made before the invention of GPS)
Will

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

I'm not sure what I love more - the ideas they came up with or the fact that this really could mean they're doing Morrowind-style DLC.
KING OF THE MUDCRABS!
Xeio

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Will wrote:I wouldn't mind having a map with the "you are here" arrow missing. It's still an interesting challenge to navigate an area with a map when the map doesn't always tell you exactly where you are at all times (like every map ever made before the invention of GPS)

I'm sure the creation kit will yield something like this pretty soon.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
An Enraged Platypus wrote:
Adam H wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:
?

Yeah. The one run I'm doing as a No Fast Travel (just Cart Network) I've gave myself the concession of being able to look at the overworld map while I'm in a town, an inn, or otherwise civilized area (High Hrothgar, for example), since no one gives me directions to goddamn anything (and the Radiant System itself is particularly "NO DIRECTIONS!" in it's execution), and some characters, like Arngeir, directly reference you having a map. I feel it's a fair to the spirit, since after walking about five minutes I no longer remember where it is beyond "Four or six mountain peaks North East of here... I think."

In other news, nothing.. and I mean nothing makes you hate the 7000 steps more than a No Fast Travel run. I'm thinking of adding in an exception to that, allowing me to fast travel to High Hrothgar from Ivarstead and back again, and that's it. Fuck the (not) 7000 steps.

Agreed. The only reason I'm doing the Mages' guild first with no fast travel is because of the 7000 steps.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb
An Enraged Platypus

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Elder Scrolls Fleeting Thought: I wonder how feasible it is to convert the Morrowind/Oblivion maps so you could play them in Skyrim. You'd have to do the borders between regions by hand (and wait for Tamriel Rebuilt to finish mainland Morrowind), and possibly have to adjust the scale so the geography is the right relative size... But exploring a full third of Tamriel would totally be worth it.
Starship Icarus wrote:All you need to know is that instead of swearing, we now use the names of extinct Earth species. Like you'd say, "What the panda!", or "Bullshit!", or "What's up, dog?"
Magnanimous

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

It's not. It would be basically the equivalent of remaking the maps entirely. Not to mention reworking the models/textures so they don't look like crap.

There's http://morroblivion.com that sort of did this? Though I haven't ever played it so I dunno how successful they were.
Xeio

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

Dragon mounts. Now.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Elder Scrolls Fleeting Thought: I wonder how feasible it is to convert the Morrowind/Oblivion maps so you could play them in Skyrim. You'd have to do the borders between regions by hand (and wait for Tamriel Rebuilt to finish mainland Morrowind), and possibly have to adjust the scale so the geography is the right relative size... But exploring a full third of Tamriel would totally be worth it.

Well.... the mod people who've been working on porting a Lord of the RIngs map to Oblivion are porting the whole thing over to Skyrim. Which leads me to believe that, while difficult, it's not impossible to do.

Granted, like most mods that start to go somewhere then die, they've got the map done. You know, the easiest part of doing a total conversion.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 am UTC

On second thought, it'd be horrible to explore Vvardenfell without levitation. Especially in the Telvanni cities.

Also you'd feel kind of foolish doing all that work when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out.

But still, it'd be awesome.
Starship Icarus wrote:All you need to know is that instead of swearing, we now use the names of extinct Earth species. Like you'd say, "What the panda!", or "Bullshit!", or "What's up, dog?"
Magnanimous

Postby yurell » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:31 am UTC

At least you'd have open cities.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!
yurell

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 am UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:
Will wrote:I wouldn't mind having a map with the "you are here" arrow missing. It's still an interesting challenge to navigate an area with a map when the map doesn't always tell you exactly where you are at all times (like every map ever made before the invention of GPS)
I'm sure the creation kit will yield something like this pretty soon.
Indeed.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby not baby Newt » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 am UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:Agreed. The only reason I'm doing the Mages' guild first with no fast travel is because of the 7000 steps.

Guess you wont go back a dozen times to ask about another word-location then.

yurell wrote:At least you'd have open cities.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8058
Markarth and riften so far apparantly. I'm a bit too nervous about missing a minor quest at some point because a bear ate the npc to use this.

Clear out some misc objectives -> visit bar / steward -> read all brightly white new topics -> get new misc objectives -> clear out some misc objectives -> ..... 280 misc objectives later, I finally get to the mainquest part where you climb above the greybeards. So hard to choose between ignoring dialogue or overlong quest list. ( /reallysillyproblems). Not the bounty quests, but many other one-line quests in the misc log seems to have enough logic to count as a completely normal quest of last century. Often something more than just fedex/kill. Just somtimes I wish I had the two-sentence backstory available, since I have no idea why I'm supposed to 'enter xyz tomb'. (Having the text available was wonderful in morrowinds journal, even though the lack of quest-listing at release was ludicrous).

Critical hits with archery makes me happy. Fairly useless damage-wise, but a neat sound and a message.
not baby Newt

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 am UTC

I think the general thing of it is, if it's underground they want it dead. I also enjoy the irony of, if you're not playing a Nord, the Stormcloaks employing you to do anything.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby yurell » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 am UTC

I think the fact that you could single-handedly slaughter them all plays quite heavily into their decision making. Add to the fact you're dovakihn and could be seen as an 'honourary Nord', especially since you've already been to their heaven.
Seriously, the hardest part about the last mission for either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials was not slaughtering your allies by accident — they're very squishy, hard to distinguish and intent in getting in front of you.

On that note, I started slaughtering Imperial camps after I won it for the Stormcloaks, just like I was asked, did anyone else find the Imperial Legates to still be immortal, or was I just bugging?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!
yurell

Postby Will » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 am UTC

No, that's the way it works for everyone. There's a mod that fixes it, though.
Will

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:30 am UTC

yurell wrote:I think the fact that you could single-handedly slaughter them all plays quite heavily into their decision making. Add to the fact you're dovakihn and could be seen as an 'honourary Nord', especially since you've already been to their heaven.
Seriously, the hardest part about the last mission for either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials was not slaughtering your allies by accident — they're very squishy, hard to distinguish and intent in getting in front of you.

On that note, I started slaughtering Imperial camps after I won it for the Stormcloaks, just like I was asked, did anyone else find the Imperial Legates to still be immortal, or was I just bugging?

I always felt like eliminating those camps should have been a set of blow off quests you get sent on once you've done everything else.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

Yeah, rather than them just saying "we've nothing more for you to do, but feel free to kill the bad guys, like, whenever it's convenient".
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
yurell wrote:I think the fact that you could single-handedly slaughter them all plays quite heavily into their decision making. Add to the fact you're dovakihn and could be seen as an 'honourary Nord', especially since you've already been to their heaven.

I always felt like eliminating those camps should have been a set of blow off quests you get sent on once you've done everything else.

To the Creation Kit!

- Phineas & Ferb
An Enraged Platypus

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

Also, perhaps saving up all those ingredients and then going apeshit on alchemy was not the best idea. I think I've sold something like 110k gold worth of potions and I still have about another few hundred thousand worth to go.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:44 am UTC

Heh, get the double harvesting perk and go have fun in that lighthouse with the billion or so chaurus eggs.

Meh, what I really want is a game that's kind of like Hardwar if you've ever played it. Basically, you are in a hovercraft on Titan and you do whatever the hell you want; fly around killing criminals for the bounties, kill people and steal their items, trap hovercrafts in the hangers until the auto-defense thingies destroy them, run a repair shop for extra cash, etc. But the main thing is, there's an actual economy going on in the background. Aside from the infinite spawning of random mook hovercraft, there is an actual economy. Ore has to be shipped from mining plants to refineries to make sheet metal and other goods, those goods have to be shipped to manufacturing to make weapons. Bodyparts have to be shipped to the Agridomes/Pizza shops to make food, etc. It makes you feel like you are actually part of something, rather than just in a video game.

I want Skyrim to be kind of like that; stores don't just automatically restock every 24 hrs, they have to have mooks roaming the countryside collecting the items and so forth, to bring to the cities/villages to make into crafts and such. Miners should bring stuff to the smiths rather than just stand around all day whacking the ore. A less admirable PC could pickpocket miners for ores on their way home from the pits or something to add to the realism; maybe let you carry "useless rocks" to trade for the weight to reduce chance of being caught (also, there shouldn't be a 90% cap of pickpocket success).

And most importantly, your own army of mook slaves in your house. I don't want some shack in Whiterun with Lydia watching me sleep, I want my own Estate. I want my own farm that gives me all the food that I never actually use. I want a horde of alchemists harvesting all the local plants for me. In Morrowind, the Hlaalu faction gave you an egg mine, or something. I don't remember; Telvanni was the way to go, what with those cool butlers.
CorruptUser

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming