INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Rium » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Hi, I’m Rium. :D I’m not actually new here.

To not leave this completely blank, some of my favorite webcomics are feel afraid, Gunnerkrigg Court and Beartato. I like hyacinths.
Rium

Postby Fish-With-A-Beard » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

Hey folks, I'm not actually a fish but I DO have a beard. Hail from the sometimes odorous wastes of New Jersey. Finally got around to showing up here to see if today's comic would devolve into arguing about cameras (especially the most megapixels thing, with the D800 announced yesterday and all...)
Fish-With-A-Beard

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

hello new people!

keep your head down, don't say the wrong thing, and you may just make it out of here alive *hands orange soda*
Tomlidich

Postby wam » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

Im an aeronautical engineer, been lurking for ages and thought I should finally get around to joining and contributing.

My interests include rugby sailing and skiing. I also spend lots of time reading, mainly historical fiction (Bernard Cornwall etc) or thrillers (Tom clancy etc).
Come join us playing mafia signup here
wam

Postby roband » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

With no comma "rugby sailing" sounds REALLY interesting... :D
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger

Postby wam » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

Is it bad I now trying to work out a way to make "rugby sailing" work....
wam

Postby roband » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 am UTC

Already tried. Possible or not, I maintain that Dan Parks' kicking would still suck.
The death of Lady Diana was also predicted by Moby Dick.
roband
One Letter From A Gunslinger

Postby wam » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 am UTC

Right im thinking something along the lines of rubber boats (probably makes more sense with oars). Anchor two yachts next to each other to make posts and tie the booms together for a crossbar.

Rucking would be an issue though, may have to play league.

And yes Dan Parks would probably still be rubbish at everything (not just his kicking).
wam

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:54 am UTC

you're not going far enough.
teams would be twice as big and members would be put into pairs.
each pair would have a player and a sailor and be out on little motor boats with decent bumpers.
an opposing player could try attacking a boat until it sunk or jumping onto another boat and wrestling, etc.
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby Grop » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:36 pm UTC

I don't think engines belong in rugby, so I like the idea of oars better.

(but now I am thinking two large sailing boats and a few smallish boats ~ each team's goal would be on the opponent's main boat).
Grop

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 am UTC

Grop wrote:(but now I am thinking two large sailing boats and a few smallish boats ~ each team's goal would be on the opponent's main boat).

Which you may only enter using the rope ladders or the rope swing from your own boat. (being shot to the other side while riding a cannonball is double points)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby You! » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Hello everybody. My name is You! and one of the more prominent members on here is my dad. He doesn't know it's me. I hope I can be a productive member of this forum.
You!

Postby Zarq » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

You just said that so everyone would start wondering who your dad is, right?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby Felstaff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

You! wrote:Hello everybody.

My god. It's You!
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby jakes1487 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Sorry I didn't post an introduction earlier. I had to come up with a good avatar first...

I'm Jake. I've been reading xkcd for a couple years but only recently noticed the forum. I decided to join because I am looking for a place where I can be who I really am, regardless of what stereotype that does or does not fit. So far my impression of you guys is that you're a bunch of nerds with compassion, which is exactly what I am looking for. ;)

I'm gradually finding out that despite being a typical nerd, I also have a right brain and a heart, both of which are important (dare I say "beautiful"?) parts of me that I tend to ignore. Once I have a reputation as a nerd, it's so much easier and feels so much safer to just continue that rather than explore other aspects of myself. So I'm starting fresh here, where being a nerd is a common background and I can focus on everything else.

In the physical world I'm a college student, lab assistant, amateur programmer (Java, C), and amateur musician (oboe, composing, etc.).

In the virtual world I've achieved a couple extremely minor recognitions for rather obscure things under other identities, but I'm still pretty new to the ways of teh interwebs, so please pardon any ignorance on my part.
jakes1487

Postby Ecstatic - Wired » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Well, I guess I need to make one of these again.

My username is 'Ecstatic - Wired' but you can call me Wired, or Ecstatic. Not both at the same time.
I'm from England and my age is not to be disclosed (yet)
You may of seen me around in the Unofficial Starbound forums, and on Terraria Online.
I can't spell at all. Well I guess that's about it. Oh yeh, I'm from jolly old England, and LOVE Tea.
Ecstatic - Wired

Postby Mostlynormal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 am UTC

This may be a bit backwards since I've already posted but oh well.

my username is mostlynormal, because it's not really extraordinary or anything. Just your average username.

I'm still a sophomore in high school but I can't wait till college because most of the high school subjects are boring. I'm afraid that my vision of college is too idealized, but I'd rather live thinking that I only have to survive to more years than thinking that college will be just as bad, regardless of which is true.

I joined the forums because I enjoy studying math as a hobby and this is the only place I know where I don't feel weird saying that.

I've decided that happiness or unhappiness is almost entirely a matter of perspective, and I'm determined to stay positive.

I enjoy philosophical discussions, but I tend to ramble and generally not be understood. Maybe I'll figure it out someday.

In real life my hobbies are playing chess, skating, fiddling around with scheme or python, and studying math.
Mostlynormal

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am UTC

Welcome to this wonderfull forum where you can find wonderfull discussions on about every topic you can imagine (well not everything)... :D
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?
Evengeduld

Postby RollingHead » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:I'm afraid that my vision of college is too idealized.

I don't have the heart to comment on this. Welcome!
RollingHead

Postby Mostlynormal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:55 am UTC

RollingHead wrote:

Wow thanks that's reassuring! I guess I'll just pretend I didn't hear that.
Mostlynormal

Postby Weeks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 am UTC

hi i like forums c14l1s v14gr4 luv xkcd
poxic wrote:Some real people do lack character development, after all.
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Evengeduld » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:56 am UTC

Oh god... Weeks got hit by the Spammington Virus...

Evengeduld

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 am UTC

Ecstatic - Wired wrote:My username is 'Ecstatic - Wired' but you can call me Wired, or Ecstatic.
Can I call you Weird? Because "My username is 'Ecstatic - Wired' but you can call me Weird" is totally how I read that the first time. I guess I have reading issues.

Mostlynormal wrote:
RollingHead wrote:
Pffft, ignore RollingHead. I completely neglected to make the best of my college years at all, spending the whole time stressing about getting good grades to the point it practically gave me an eating disorder - and I STILL found it a damn sight better than high school, made a bunch of great friends, learnt lots of interesting stuff, and have many great memories. The fact that you're truly choosing to be there sort of makes it much better. And not having a Calculus teacher who makes you stand up in front of the class if you haven't done your homework as though you're a naughty 6 yr old, when you're 18. That helps, too. Do you know yet what you intend to study? Math? Some philosophy in there to aid your argument skills?

(NB: postgrad CAN be very sucky though. Seek out advice before you start that shit. I'm not saying don't do it, 'twas the learning lesson of my life and I might still do a PhD, but it has quite a lot of potential to be sucky. My friend and I posted this to our office door in the 3rd year of our 2 year geology MSc, as we related FAR too well to it: http://xkcd.com/695/)
Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Orlando » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:21 am UTC

Hullo all, I'm Orlando and I joined today to argue with people on the internet about Friday's comic (my computer tells me "today" is now Saturday...goddammit internet.), which was going just smashingly until I realized I'd meant to get outside and "work" today. Perhaps this job in door-to-door canvassing just isn't gonna work out :roll:

Unlike Wired, I am not originally from Englandia, but I live here in the old heart of the Empire now, and quite like it apart from the job market being generally shit for a 6-months-stale graduate with a humanities MA and student loans to default on pay off. Also have a raging tea addiction going right now. Maybe there's time for just one more pot before bed...
Orlando
Loves all those arguments with the sexy sexy holes.

Postby jakes1487 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:40 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:
Mostlynormal wrote:
RollingHead wrote:
Pffft, ignore RollingHead.
Agreed. If you're the sort whose "hobbies are playing chess, skating, fiddling around with scheme or python, and studying math", the people around you in high school are probably not too similar to you, and they probably don't appreciate who you are. (Probably 90% of the people here had the same experience.) At college being a nerd is much easier; there's so many more of them, and hence you'll feel much more at home. Of course it depends on where you go and what people you choose to hang out with. I also find myself having more free time in college than I did in high school--though maybe that was just because I was doing the whole ridiculous-number-of-AP-courses thing.
jakes1487

Postby Ecstatic - Wired » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Can I call you Weird? Because "My username is 'Ecstatic - Wired' but you can call me Weird" is totally how I read that the first time. I guess I have reading issues.

I read it the same way, so yeh sure :P
Ecstatic - Wired

Postby pussyrat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Greetings from Sweden.

I've been reading XKCD for years, but I'm afraid I'm not much of a forum person. Chances are I'll go comment-shy after my first five posts and go hide in a corner again. But you never know.
I draw and write stuff. I like hearing people talk about things that capture them. I like videogames, and I'm a huge "Sonic the hedgehog" dork.

Nice to meet you. :)
pussyrat

Postby Kethryes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

I guys !

I've been reading XKCD for years (like everyone else ;) ). I'm more of a 'lurk in the shadows' guy than a 'writing wall of text every day' guy, but when I am in a good mood I can do it too :P

Also, can someone explain me wtf with the text filters ?
I-m: I'm
s-a-y: say
that's crazy ! (And who write the rules and why?)
Kethryes

Postby ahammel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 am UTC

Kethryes wrote:I guys !

I've been reading XKCD for years (like everyone else ;) ). HULK more of a 'lurk in the shadows' guy than a 'writing wall of text every day' guy, but when HULK in a good mood I will do it too :P

Also, will someone explain me wtf with the text crumbs ?
I-m: HULK
s-a-y: spray
that's crazy ! (And who write the rules and why?)

You've joined us at an interesting time. The moderators are just having a little fun with the board's word filter function. It'll go away. Eventually.

Oh, and welcome!
I also answer to 'Alex'

YES, IT'S SPACEY-WACEY!
ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby Cubethulhu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:32 am UTC

Hi I'm Cubethulhu. (Well okay not really but you know.) I'm 19 going to be twenty in two days. I just found out that XKCD has a forum so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I don't really know how to describe myself. Maybe as a romantic byronic antihero? I'm trying to finish my first novel. That's going... . In-case your wondering I didn't draw my avatar. Someone very close to me did. I guess I really have nothing else to add. I'm either going to be here a long time or disappear after a week. Those are really the only to choices between me and forums. Okay then bye.
Cubethulhu

Postby And Man » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:12 am UTC

Hi, I'm Andrew. I've been reading xkcd for a while and just now decided to create a forum account. I'm studying electrical engineering at Pitt and I enjoy playing video games a lot
And Man

Postby piwakawaka42 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:13 am UTC

Hi, I'm piwakawaka42 (in case anyone is wondering, piwakawaka is another name for the NZ fantail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantail). I'm a chemistry student, gamer(board/roleplaying mostly), SFF fan and all-round nerd, who has decided to finally stop lurking on the fora and start posting. By the way, is there a list of all the random word substitutions happening? These are somewhat confusing for a newbie.
piwakawaka42

Postby RollingHead » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

Yeah ignore me, college is great and much better than high school, it's just not for me. You'll be fine!
RollingHead

Postby Cubethulhu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

Cubethulhu wrote:Hi HULK Cubethulhu. (Well okay not really but you know.) HULK 19 going to be twenty in two days. I just found out that XKCD has a forum so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I don't really know how to describe myself. Maybe as a romantic byronic antihero? HULK trying to finish my first novel. That's going... . In-case your wondering I didn't draw my avatar. Someone very close to me did. I guess I really have nothing else to add. HULK either going to be here a long time or disappear after a week. Those are really the only to choices between me and forums. Okay then bye.

It was at that moment I realized I us I'm way to much...
Cubethulhu

Re: Introductions.

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 am UTC

piwakawaka42 wrote:By the way, is there a list of all the random loaf substitutions happening? These are somewhat confusing for a newbie.
Yup, you've come at a special time of year when the mods get to have a bit of fun with us all. Just hold on and enjoy the ride! Also, does that mean you're from NZ? Cause yay for more NZers! (If not, just yay for anyone else who knows the meaning of piwakawaka!)
Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Goggalor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:13 am UTC

I'm Jacob. I've been lurking for ages and now I'm getting around to joining the community. I am currently a college forestry student, but am into all sorts of nerdy endeavors.
Goggalor

Postby piwakawaka42 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 am UTC

Yup, the forum has another kiwi in it. As for the subs, it just crumb and Sex and the city that I can't figure-all the rest are obvious (and actually kind of cute, although that got me in trouble with the mods, didn't it? Calling their evil plans cute?)
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray
piwakawaka42

Postby pollywog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 am UTC

Kia ora piwakawaka42! Good to have another kiwi on board. There's a meetup thread in the subforum for it, if you're interested, but it never really got off the ground.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby Karkasmolen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Hello I'm Peter. Skinny white mid-20er from California.

Clearly the first thing you should know is that I'm awkward at self-description. I do not think I am a robot, hopefully that's adequate to assuage any worries. If I am a robot, I'm at least a complex and stylish robot, rather than the annoying and deceptive forum spam robots, so I assume that I won't be prejudged fallaciously on association.

I'm a member of the Baha'i faith. I'm certainly not going to preach it unwanted to the uninterested but I'm ecstatic at the chance to share with those who are and elaborate to the curious. I will, of course, swing by your religious forum in the hopes that it's less the cesspool of association fallacies and misrepresented positions on abortions that such forums tend to be.

I am deeply interested in sociopolitical, philosophical, and logical concepts but I tend to find an excess of extremely field-specific nomenclature to be either tedious or daunting. I particularly find language interesting and enjoyable. I also dig art, but typically not in the over-quantified sense.

I am full of assorted nerdy interests, from your stereotypical nerdy pursuits like dungeons and dragons to often ridiculously obscure historical trivia. I like Stephen Fry. He tickles my brain and delights my ears with his wry British wit and unabashed .

I have always found mathematics frustrating and tedious and the methods by which it is taught ineffective. This truly saddens me because it's a perfectly systematic language, exactly what arouses me intellectually. It also means that I do not get a lot of the jokes (and the hover text has never helped!).

I like to think that I am good at divergent thinking but I worry that I get it mixed up with intellectual laziness.

I'm trying to get over my internet snarkiness. Help me out guyz gawsh.

*EDIT: upon closer inspection it's just a regular nerd fight forum, not actual religion forum. Got it.
Karkasmolen

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

Karkasmolen wrote:HULK a member of the Baha'i faith. HULK certainly not going to preach it unwanted to the uninterested but HULK ecstatic at the chance to share with those who are and elaborate to the curious. I will, of course, swing by your religious forum in the hopes that it's less the cesspool of association fallacies and misrepresented positions on abortions that such forums tend to be.
Religious Wars? Nah, that's for Mac vs PC fights.

You want Serious Business and News and Articles for the cesspools. Though Az has fixed SB more or less, so the biggest hive of scum and fallacy is News and Articles.

Particularly any thread about Israel/Palestine. Which, thanks to Sourmilk, is sometimes every thread.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

PreviousNext

Return to General