My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Hearts and Hooves Day:
Spoiler:
The choice of text for the blackboard was odd. As far as I can tell, it's vector calculus describing a Gaussian surface. (If Cheerilee is teaching vector calculus to pre-pubescent children, I take back everything I said about her teaching.)

Tubs of jelly stallion. Just... his face. Look at his face. Cue lewd jokes about stallion jelly.

Lots of new Big Mac lines! But they're almost all cutesy names.

HappyMac was fun to watch at the jewelry store :3 (and bouncing to the Boutique).

My prediction is that Big Mac and Cheerilee are just trolling the CMCs with their gazebo picnic, but they might actually be an item now. Thoughts?
Overall, solid episode.

Spoiler:
Obviously young ponies are much smarter than young humans. Actually, ponies probably grow up a lot faster than people do, if the lifespans of real life equids is any indication. Or it's just an easter egg for adults.

I'm pretty sure Big Mac and Cheerilee were just having a bit of fun and spending time together as friends at the end. Big Mac won't find his very special somepony until season 5, when he finally gets an excuse to spend some alone time with Twilight.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:39 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So, uh... any idea what's wrong with the spoiler tags in my post above?
There's a box called "disable BBCode" underneath the text window. Is it checked?

Iulus Cofield: That is the best plan, except the '5' should be a '3'.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

Thanks. Never used anything in that part of the page before so I didn't think to look there.

No, it should be 5. Because that guarantees at least 5 seasons.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Oh me yarm, they made a Lyra toy too! Maybe we'll get a bunch more background ponies by next year's toy expo!
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'll just leave this here:

Lovely episode, no pun intended.

And those are some awesome toys.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:12 am UTC

Once I see that Trixie I'll buy the shit out of it. It's just unbelievable. TRIXIE!

A recording. MLP stuff starts at 2:10. It's true. IT'S HER. IT'S TRIXIE.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:13 am UTC

I laid an egg when I saw Trixie.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Vaniver » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa: You're welcome.

Weeks: Marvelous.

Iulus Cofield wrote:I laid an egg when I saw Trixie.
A dragon egg?

[edit]D: I missed that

Vaniver

Postby ConMan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Hearts and Hooves Day:
Spoiler:
The choice of text for the blackboard was odd. As far as I can tell, it's vector calculus describing a Gaussian surface. (If Cheerilee is teaching vector calculus to pre-pubescent children, I take back everything I said about her teaching.)

Spoiler:
Actually, if you go back through a few episodes it looks like Cheerilee's been teaching advanced calculus/electrodynamics to her class for a long time. Either it's a Futurama-style way of letting someone in the crew demonstrate their science degree, or just a cute background running gag. I'm happy either way.

Spoiler:
Lots of new Big Mac lines! But they're almost all cutesy names.

Spoiler:
I did grab the episode off YouTube since I was travelling this weekend and it was the easiest way to ensure that I could see it on time. I ran into a fellow brony who was still a few episodes behind, and he asked me if Big Mac got to say more than "Eeyup" and "Nope" this ep. Like I told him, yes Big Mac says a lot more, but after this you may never want him to again. :D

Spoiler:
HappyMac was fun to watch at the jewelry store :3 (and bouncing to the Boutique).

Spoiler:
Is there a "bouncing Big Mac" gif yet? Because it needs to be done. I agree it was fantastic to watch.

Spoiler:
My prediction is that Big Mac and Cheerilee are just trolling the CMCs with their gazebo picnic, but they might actually be an item now. Thoughts?
Overall, solid episode.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm sure they're trolling.

Also,
Spoiler:
Opening shot shows Derpy and Doctor Whooves together! Squee! And a suspiciously Fluttershy-looking pony with some special somepony, too - hmmmm.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:15 am UTC

I guess that video/picture aren't really much to go on, but that doesn't quite look like Trixie's hair color. And I don't see the hat and cape, either. And those "horns" are kind of pathetic. I guess that's so kids don't hurt themselves?

Actually, what's the deal with toy ponies' hair in general? Are you supposed to shape it yourself, or does it forever stay a single column emenating from the center of their heads?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

The Scyphozoa

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:39 am UTC

The main feature[citation needed] of My Little Pony toys has always been the hair, and specifically the ability to style it. I believe they often come with their own hairbrush.

Also, Daring Do and her adventures have been dissected on TV Tropes.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Weeks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:04 am UTC

Trixie doesn't have her cape or hat, but that's her cutie mark + color scheme. And there's smaller toys with non-brushable hair, the ones that come in blind bags or mystery packs.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:13 am UTC

I consider the blind bags to be a bit of a different beast, especially since the main MLP toys have tended to look more like older MLPs than the FiM characters, although some of the recent ones are fixing that (the Luna/Nightmare Moon one in particular looks spot on).
pollywog wrote:
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

A Friend In Deed:
Spoiler:
I wonder if the mural will show up on future barn shots?

The ticker tape parade at the end of the song was... a little much?

The Pinkie's Imagination section was marvelous. (The whole episode is way more interesting if you interpret all the crazy things Pinkie does as her hallucinations.)

Pinkie's lack of respect for property rights is distressing.

"Never ever ever ever ever!" "That's... four evers! That's like... forever!"

YES Reading Dash. YES Rainbow Brash. :3

Oh God Pinkie's eye coming through the lock. Talk about nightmare fuel.

Vaniver

Postby Game_boy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Best song in the show. Pinkie randomness. Actual characterisation on both sides. But I don't like the use of not-cute sentient creatures. Overall good episode but not great.

I see you're over 9000 Vaniver.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.
Game_boy

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:
This is the first time that I haven't absofuckinglutely loved every single frame of Pinkie being on the screen. Not entirely sure why. The song was maybe a bit not quite in Pinkie's style. Pinkie songs are best when they're shorter.

I LOVED the intro with the Cake twins. And I loved that going into Pinkie's mind = animation shift.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Vaniver » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:11 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:I see you're over 9000 Vaniver.
Indeed! It's somewhat sobering to realize my posts per day is only 4.6, though.

Vaniver

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Spoiler:
This is the first time that I haven't absofuckinglutely loved every single frame of Pinkie being on the screen. Not entirely sure why. The song was maybe a bit not quite in Pinkie's style. Pinkie songs are best when they're shorter.
That's funny, because I thought the complete opposite.

I bet if we both were on OKCupid, we wouldn't be compatible =/ =/ =/
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

That's certainly a... unique way to express a disagreement. And that we wouldn't be compatible on OKCupid goes without saying, as I'm pretty sure OKCupid doesn't accept 17-year-olds.

The Scyphozoa

Postby Jorpho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 am UTC

I must confess I have had no inclination to watch this show since the season premiere. Maybe it's because there haven't been as many absurd images or Youtube thingies flapping about as there were towards the end of the first season.
Jorpho

Postby Game_boy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I must confess I have had no inclination to watch this show since the season premiere. Maybe it's because there haven't been as many absurd images or Youtube thingies flapping about as there were towards the end of the first season.

Is there any form of media you like without reservation?
Game_boy

Postby Jorpho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Um, should there be?
Jorpho

Postby Game_boy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Um, should there be?

You've talked about Homestuck's negatives in the MSPA thread as well. You're not wrong, just that there should be something you enjoy where you can look past those and think, the creators are visionaries and this is indescribably awesome. For me it's HS and ponies, I was wondering if there was anything like that for you.
Game_boy

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 am UTC

I think I have no reservations about having reservations..?

Anyway, perhaps I phrased my earlier comment wrong. I should say: has the novelty of making wacky Pony pics and Youtube whatsits worn off?
Jorpho

Postby Vaniver » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I should say: has the novelty of making wacky Pony pics and Youtube whatsits worn off?
Do you check Equestria Daily? Because there are lots of wacky Pony pics and Youtube whatsits.

Vaniver

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:11 am UTC

I suppose. But, how can I put this? It seems that stuff with potentially broader appeal was leaking out more readily before?
Jorpho

Postby Vaniver » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I suppose. But, how can I put this? It seems that stuff with potentially broader appeal was leaking out more readily before?
If you mean your friends aren't sending you pony stuff anymore, it's probably because they're all reading EQD, and so don't send the stuff to their friends because all their friends that want to see it also read EQD. If you mean that the stuff that is getting sent to you isn't "broader appeal," I assume by "broader appeal" you mean "things I like" and so I can't comment on whether or not that's being made without knowing what you like.

Vaniver

Postby Game_boy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I think I have no reservations about having reservations..?

Anyway, perhaps I phrased my earlier comment wrong. I should say: has the novelty of making wacky Pony pics and Youtube whatsits worn off?

I think all the common crossovers and obvious jokes have been done. The quality content rate is, if anything, faster than last year, but it's more referencing the fandom itself and so you have to actually like the show.

Also I think people have moved on to more ambitious things. EqD prefers not to just post pictures or normal PMVs now, fanmusic has vocals or is professional produced; fangames are 3D and smoothly animated, Youtube content has to have original animation.

Echoing Vaniver, everyone has already decided whether they like the show or not. If they do, they are following EqD. You're interested but not interested enough to find it for yourself which is unusual.
Game_boy

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I suppose. But, how can I put this? It seems that stuff with potentially broader appeal was leaking out more readily before?

FiW seems to have been releasing stuff more frequently.

Also, there's a new anthology planned for after s2 finishes IIRC which should tie all the best redubs together.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Shidoshi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I think I have no reservations about having reservations..?

I think all the common crossovers and obvious jokes have been done. The quality content rate is, if anything, faster than last year, but it's more referencing the fandom itself and so you have to actually like the show.

Also I think people have moved on to more ambitious things. EqD prefers not to just post pictures or normal PMVs now, fanmusic has vocals or is professional produced; fangames are 3D and smoothly animated, Youtube content has to have original animation.

Echoing Vaniver, everyone has already decided whether they like the show or not. If they do, they are following EqD. You're interested but not interested enough to find it for yourself which is unusual.

I agree, the quality bar for content has been significantly raised. Now you don't see just any fanfic/video/song go into EqD and at the same time there's still so much that I can't keep up.
I've personally stopped being so obsessed with everything that gets released about MLP (I don't check so many pony sites anymore and I don't watch everything that goes on EqD). I've settled for a few youtube subscriptions of people I know make good stuff and occasionally checking what's new on EqD. Ponychan is impossible to keep up and I kind of miss being "in" on the new memes from each episode, but I don't have 4h per day to be checking on it.
Shidoshi

Postby Jorpho » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

"Confound those ponies" seems like a distant memory now.
Jorpho

Postby Shidoshi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:"Confound those ponies" seems like a distant memory now.

It's funny how there haven't been many phrases/memes getting that much attention as with S1. We had tons of them:
FOREVER, 20% Cooler, Cupcakes, Scootachicken, Steven Magnet, etc.
Shidoshi

Postby Vaniver » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

Shidoshi wrote:It's funny how there haven't been many phrases/memes getting that much attention as with S1. We had tons of them:
FOREVER, 20% Cooler, Cupcakes, Scootachicken, Steven Magnet, etc.
Alternatively, there are more of them and so their individual attention is diluted. I mean, CANTERLOCK comes to mind as a S2 meme that didn't penetrate nearly as well as the early ones because next week people were focused on the new episode.

Vaniver

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

xkcd has its own IRC channel, #xkcd-ponies I think, but I don't go there so I dunno how that is.

So, nobody has anything to say about Derpy? That's...fine! I think there's been too much of a debacle elsewhere.

Also this season is superior to the previous, and my opinion is objectively right, so you should watch it.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:So, nobody has anything to say about Derpy? That's...fine! I think there's been too much of a debacle elsewhere.

I'm not surprised and I'm not too upset.

For one thing, word is it's Apple's fault and the animators do not intend to change derpy, it's just that iTunes will have an underped version.

For another, she still gets far more exposure in the ep than she had before even if her name isn't explicitly stated (and, whilst I think it's ridiculous removing on grounds of offensiveness, I can understand why they want to avoid that like the plague) and, the new voice doesn't sound like a colt and is more like balddumborat's voice (which I preferred) so I think that, all in all, the new audio is better and, well, the fandom's already shown how good it is at sticking audio and video from different sources together so having new audio + derped eyes shouldn't be too hard.

Love and tolerance basically. Derpy always existed primarily within the fandom and there's nothing stopping her continuing there exactly as before unless everyone acts as if Derpy is actually dead.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

The edited version is already available on iTunes, by the way.

Also, her eyes are still crossed, it's just not as noticeable as before.
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks

Postby eeris » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Weeks wrote:So, nobody has anything to say about Derpy? That's...fine! I think there's been too much of a debacle elsewhere.

...word is it's Apple's fault...

First thing I thought was "Why? What did Applyjack do to Derpy?" then facepalm.
eeris

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Also, her eyes are still crossed, it's just not as noticeable as before.

True, I still think it's a shame but I understand why they did it.

eeris wrote:First thing I thought was "Why? What did Applyjack do to Derpy?" then facehoof.

ftfy :P

Besides, haven't you heard? AJ's got clutziphobia. It's totally a thing.

eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Soralin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:45 am UTC

On the other hand, the debacle has produced a few nice fanstuffs. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-_HeVNYOk (sad)
Spoiler:
Soralin

Postby Jorpho » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:35 am UTC

See? That's the sort of thing that might bring myself to find the episode in question on Youtube. (It's still available in unedited form there, right? Or have they suddenly gotten more active in pulling the episodes down from Youtube now that they're on iTunes?)
Jorpho

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows