Finnegans Wake

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Finnegans Wake

Postby dhokarena56 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

I'm very slowly making my way through the... uh...masterpiece that is James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. Has anybody else done this? I'm really liking it, for reasons I can't really figure out.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.
dhokarena56

Re: Finnegans Wake

Postby meerta » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

Yes, it's great.
meerta

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

I'd love to read it but I'm scared.

I found one page of it that somehow ended up in my mom's 50 year old copy of Dubliners, that I read a while ago, and it started with the sentence:

"O joyoust rhine, was handled over spondaneously by me (and bundle end to my ill wishers' Miss Anders ! she woor her wraith of ruins the night she lost Ileft!)in the ligname of Mr van Howten of Tredcastles, Clowntalkin, timbreman, among my prodigits nabobs and navious of every subscription entitled the Bois in the Boscoor, our evicted tenemants."[sic]

:shock:
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby meerta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:I'd love to read it but I'm scared.

I found one page of it that somehow ended up in my mom's 50 year old copy of Dubliners, that I read a while ago, and it started with the sentence:

"O joyoust rhine, was handled over spondaneously by me (and bundle end to my ill wishers' Miss Anders ! she woor her wraith of ruins the night she lost Ileft!)in the ligname of Mr van Howten of Tredcastles, Clowntalkin, timbreman, among my prodigits nabobs and navious of every subscription entitled the Bois in the Boscoor, our evicted tenemants."[sic]

Find a recording of Joyce reading from it online.

Also you could read Anthony Burgess's "Shorter Finngans Wake" instead.
meerta

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

Heh, I could play you the song, but sadly I've never read the book.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.
Chewbaccawacca

Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Proginoskes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 am UTC

meerta wrote:
Microscopic cog wrote:I'd love to read it but I'm scared.

Find a recording of Joyce reading from it online.

I've heard that reading it out loud helps, even if you're not James Joyce.
Proginoskes

Return to Books